Osmo Pocket as an Action Filmmaking Tool
705 4 2020-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JCouche
lvl.1

United States

I've been making no-budget indie action movies since 2005.  I've shot action scenes on everything from mini-dv cameras, to Canon DSLRs to the Blackmagic Pocket 4k.  Something about the Osmo Pocket intrigued me from the start; it looks incredibly intuitive for shooting action sequences as well as dialogue (moreso than most smartphones).  My first opportunity to test it came when I was choreographing a fight for a short film and wanted to use it to shoot some of the previz.

We shot half of it with the Osmo Pocket and half with my Panasonic G7 depending on the "feel" we wanted to go for in the finished film.  What surprised me most about the Osmo was just how intuitive it proved to be; it just WORKS the way it feels like it's supposed to.  The strangest part was halfway through the session when I switched to the G7 (a camera I spent YEARS shooting with) and was initially frustrated with it compared to the OP...  I was surprised by how well the two cameras matched colorwise (shot both in cinelike D) but they also produced very different feels that are immediately evident.

I find it very frustrating that this camera only seems to be used by vloggers and travel videographers.  It has a lot of potential as a tool for creating narrative works.  I'm not exactly going to toss my Blackmagic Pocket 4k into a box over this, but for the right kind of project I think this device could be perfect.
2020-3-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi JCouche, thanks for your kind words about Osmo Pocket and glad to know you like it. Cool video and looking forward to more great works from you.
2020-3-30
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool video. Thanks for sharing
2020-3-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very cool.  The OP is definitely an impressive product and in the right hands it can do amazing work.  
2020-3-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice work!
2020-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now