Pilot app on Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8"
2843 10 2015-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
myhondas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12100 ft
United States

So my tablet is an internal 16 gigabyte unit and I have a 32 gigabyte micro my tablet is an internal 16 gigabyte unit and I have a 32 gigabyte micro s_d card in it I want to run and have the entire d_j I pilot app on the s_d card but everytime I run the app it writes to the internal memory. How to I  do I keep it on the s_d card & off of the internal memory? I erased all the files off the internal memory and only have them on the SD card. when I ran the app for the first time it wrote complete files on the internal memory.
2015-6-14
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

While I'm no Android expert I suspect there is no way around running an active app in the internal memory.  (If for no other reason than running an app from the SD card would probably run slower)  It sounds like the exact same setup I'm running.  (Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" -- model SM-T337V has cellular capability) and I haven't had any problems.  The only caveat might be I bought this tablet specifically and solely for use with the Phantom 3 so I have just a minimal number of other apps.
2015-6-15
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-6-15 19:55
While I'm no Android expert I suspect there is no way around running an active app in the internal m ...

At the risk of hijacking the thread.....

Many here are far more knowledgeable than I about tablets, whether they be Apple or Android. My Samsung Galaxy S5 (obviously a phone) is notorious about automatically downloading and updating apps - many of them apps I never use (and never used at all!) - resulting in what many term bloatware.

I too am looking at the possibility of buying a workable tablet (I prefer Android simply because I despise iTunes, but I may eventually have to relent!) to do nothing but fly with my Phantom.

If you load no extra software other than the pilot app, is there any way other, unwanted software can get on the tablet?

Also - you referenced that you have  an SM-T337V - what is that?

It would be nice if someone wrote a comprehensive document about the specifics of using a tablet/mobile device with the pilot app. Do I need GPS on the tablet? Do I need some kind of iFi connection? Do I need some kind of mobile service?

Inquiring minds would like to know - LOL!
2015-6-15
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a Galaxy Tab 4 for my Phantom 3 Professional. I had to cut the foam pads on the DJI holder to get the thing to fit the holder, and then had to enlarge the slot at the bottom of the holder, because that is where the USB port is on the Tab, and a normal plug won't fit thru the slot. I shaved the sides of the plug down to the metal, and then used a rat file to enlarged the slot so the plug would fit. I have no problems with it.
HOWEVER, It is top heavy and a bit wobbly. I will order a replacement holder, as I am sure this one will eventually break.
I bought the Tab 4 because the specs I read somewhere said the holder would take 8 inches, and the Tab 4 is only 7 inches. I cut the foam pads down and still have to force the Tab into the holder. It all works, the software performs well on the Tab, and with a sunshade it is readable in the sunshine.
Up-dated the firmware yesterday, and the Tab works fine.
Now if only the darned RAIN would stop, I might get to fly.....
2015-6-16
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-15 23:17
At the risk of hijacking the thread.....

Many here are far more knowledgeable than I about tablet ...

You asked about the model number, it's a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" tablet -- model SM-T337V has cellular capability.  There is also a 7 inch (SM-T230NU) and 10 inch tablet.  Depending on the memory, wifi and cell capability there are about four different model numbers for each one!
2015-6-16
Use props
myhondas
lvl.2
United States

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-6-16 23:04
I use a Galaxy Tab 4 for my Phantom 3 Professional. I had to cut the foam pads on the DJI holder to  ...

Are you serious?  you should be using the tablet in the horizontal mode. The dji pilot app doesn't even run in the portrait mode.

But so far I haven't heard of a way to force the dji app to run on the sd card instead of the internal memory.
Mine in not cellular equipment, just wifi  model SM-T330NU
2015-6-16
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

myhondas Posted at 2015-6-17 04:57
Are you serious?  you should be using the tablet in the horizontal mode. The dji pilot app doesn't  ...

What internal memory?

I'm aware of an SD card in the gimbal and an internal SD card that's permanently mounted. The only way data can be retrieved from that "permanent" SD card (I think it's epoxied into place) is through the other USB port on the front of the Phantom (underneath the label). That's where the .DAT "fly" files can be retrieved - to no good for us at the moment.

I'm not aware there's any user-available/access RAM in the Phantom.
2015-6-16
Use props
myhondas
lvl.2
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-17 06:02
What internal memory?

I'm aware of an SD card in the gimbal and an internal SD card that's perman ...

i am talking about  the tablet. NOT the aircraft. I am talking about the "Pilot App running on the tablet internal memory and not on the added sd card in the tablet.
2015-6-16
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

myhondas Posted at 2015-6-17 09:33
i am talking about  the tablet. NOT the aircraft. I am talking about the "Pilot App running on the ...

I am using the same tablet, but I don't have an sdcard.

The app saves to "/mnt/sdcard/DJI/..."

My tablet without the sdcard has "/mnt/sdcard" pointing at the internal storage root.

Check yours to see where "/mnt/sdcard" points to with the sdcard in.

All I can suggest.
2015-6-16
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

myhondas Posted at 2015-6-17 04:57
Are you serious?  you should be using the tablet in the horizontal mode. The dji pilot app doesn't  ...

Ahhhhh Of course it is horizontal. If I used it in vertical it would be ten inches to fit into a 7 inch holder. Hummmmm!
2015-6-17
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1140725 ft
United States

Hello there

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;extra=#pid155902

Thank`s
2015-6-24
Use props
Advanced