680 10 2020-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

The specs on the iPOD 7th Gen show it has the same A10 processor as the iPhone 6,7,8s (varying by model) and some of the newer base model iPAD's.

I fired up my new Mini today, loaded the new Fly and updated the Mini's firmware with an iPhone XS.  I thoroughly hated removing the case (heavy duty, over protective version).  All went well with some indoor testing.  So, I figured, "what the heck" and loaded Fly on the iPOD, 'registered' with the gods-of-DJI, and fired up... no problems or delays connecting and the short, slow flight, seemed flawless.

Before I take it outside tomorrow, I'd like to hear from anyone who has had success or failure using the new 7th gen iPOD.

Similarly, if there's someone who's familiar with the deep tech specs of the iPhone XS and could compare it with the iPOD, maybe they could point out what technical differences could hamper flight.

[ and yes.... I know... it isn't an approved device :-)  ]

2020-9-2
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't help with any information. But as a retired engineer, I can applaud you for experimenting bravely. Go for it....I bet/hope it works! Only one of the 3 devices I use are approved ;-)
2020-9-2
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

There is a work around I posted on another forum that allows you to use your phone in its case with the Mini RC (I have an iPhone SE in an Otterbox Defender case):

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... -in-its-case.96801/
2020-9-3
Use props
Anonymous
vortex19 Posted at 9-3 05:51
There is a work around I posted on another forum that allows you to use your phone in its case with the Mini RC (I have an iPhone SE in an Otterbox Defender case):

test response posted in error
2020-9-3
Use props
Anonymous
test response posted in error

2020-9-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for creating this informative post and sharing your personal insights regarding this matter. We are happy to know that your previous trouble was resolved. If you have further concern or inquiry, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.
2020-9-3
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 9-2 20:34
I can't help with any information. But as a retired engineer, I can applaud you for experimenting bravely. Go for it....I bet/hope it works! Only one of the 3 devices I use are approved ;-)

Applause accepted :-)

FWIW, this was a post that I started shortly after the mini came out.  It "disappeared" from the forum somehow and I received a note that I had a [draft] post to be processed.  (someone has theorized that it never made it to the forum, even though there were replies !!)

Anyhow, I was able to use it successfully for a few months.  Then I acquired a friends' iPhone 8P, reset it to factory, deleted all the peripheral apps, loaded G04, Go, Fly, Mimo, and it's now a dedicated DJI monitor.  I also added all the weather, flight, FAA apps, removed the SIM, and fly nearly exclusively under "Airport".
2020-9-3
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

vortex19 Posted at 9-3 05:51
There is a work around I posted on another forum that allows you to use your phone in its case with the Mini RC (I have an iPhone SE in an Otterbox Defender case):

Thanks... saw that and decided against that approach.  Don't like using my phone-in general :-)  iPod is working pretty well.  Am able to ;download; maps for a sufficiently small region and fly without too much fear of loss.  No connection  losses yet.
2020-9-3
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-3 06:27
Hi. Thank you for creating this informative post and sharing your personal insights regarding this matter. We are happy to know that your previous trouble was resolved. If you have further concern or inquiry, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.

You're welcome, but I have no idea why you have replied to this post.

I had no "previous trouble" to resolve.  However I enjoy the opportunity to reply and gain a few points :-)

Keep up the good work.
2020-9-3
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

iPods and WiFi only iPads don't have compasses or GPS  Some of the app features like your direction relative to the AC and find my drone won't work without compass or GPS.

My suggestion is to get a cheap old iPhone like a 6s or 6s plus to use instead.
2020-9-4
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Duck Posted at 9-4 06:05
iPods and WiFi only iPads don't have compasses or GPS  Some of the app features like your direction relative to the AC and find my drone won't work without compass or GPS.

My suggestion is to get a cheap old iPhone like a 6s or 6s plus to use instead.

Yeah, well... no... GPS on the monitor really doesn't matter that much.  This has been much discussed here over the years as well as on the independent DJI Mavic Drone Forum.  The quad(s) has it's own GPS.

The position of the quad is established by the GPS on the quad using satellites.  That's how the home point is established.  If you have enough sats and establish home point, your controller only has to establish communication via WiFi to WiFi.  iOS also has a Location Maps function that uses WiFi towers to help position the controller if needed.  Downloading the maps where your flying will usually be sufficient for things like "Find my Drone" to function properly.
2020-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules