Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
40 Degrees of Pitch
1863 4 2020-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

The dead horse rises again for those in the know, I finally had time to play with the changes and record what I've found.

It's a short video but this is the fastest the mini will go. From 30 degrees of pitch the change to 40 has been a lack luster one but I never exspected much, a funny side effect to me is the gimbal maxing out and acting like a spark only because of the exceeded pitch. I've tried on a few occasions but yet a perfectly still day so there could be more but 32.5 is the fastest I've gotten it. It accelercates much quicker as exspected but tops out relitivly quickly, changing tripod mode to 30 has made for some cool shots but nothing note worthy.

Others have asked about the RTH speed being increased but that seems to be locked down in firmware from what others have said, I have yet to change the pitch for postion mode but my throey is if RTH uses P mode then if P mode's pitch is increased it should fly faster but the speed could be locked down elsewhere. I don't know if any of the others have tried this or not but I'm happy to expirment, there are some other cool things that can be played with but the mini doesn't really have much to modify.

While on the topic of non-relavant things I recorded my mini in super slow mo. S9 has 960fps slow mow at 720p, I then slowed it down further in vegas but I can't see any vibration, deviation, chop, change of pitch while hovering.

With all the talk about props flattening out I took a good look at mine, I can't visually see any change in pitch but I haven't case carried the drone but a handful of times. It lives on my desk outside the case and I don't have anything keeping the props together but folding them over themselves. The front right is the only props that have changed, the rest are orgianl with 86 flights and counting.

2020-4-1
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Pretty impressive work, well done! I believe you recently referenced a thread (on MavicPilots?) where they explained how to hack the MM: if that's the method you used to change the max tilt angle, could you summarize what you did? High-level, just to understand the overall process.
2020-4-1
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
United States

120ccpm Posted at 4-1 18:53
Pretty impressive work, well done! I believe you recently referenced a thread (on MavicPilots?) where they explained how to hack the MM: if that's the method you used to change the max tilt angle, could you summarize what you did? High-level, just to understand the overall process.

I have to stress this seriously, what's being discussed below is not a toy, is not a joke, if you modify your mini and break something THAT IS YOUR FAULT and DJI is not responsable in any way. Please do not go posting in the mavic pilots thread asking how to do something, if you can't figure this out for your'self you should walk away now.

https://mavicpilotsDOTcom/threads/mavic-mini-re-enable-developer-tools-in-dji-assistant-2.77216/

I'm taking a break on updating the assistant as i got everything working but when you download firmware/refresh it, it doesn't actually do anything to the drone so and i need to figure out why so in the mean time I connected via python like those guys ended up doing.

It's fairly straight forward but I'm writing this fairly loose as it's not intended to be a how to, if your techy and have worked with Linux terminal you should be able to figure it out. Install python on your os of choice (mine being windows) I needed to install pyserial (pip install pyserial) to connect to the mini. The tools can be found on github: https://githubDOTcom/o-gs/dji-firmware-tools if you know how to use git you know the next step. Now with python and pyserial installed navigate to the tools folder via cmd and run the tool from that location.

Someone has already dumped all the parmas in that thread and you can open it with google sheets, to save some time I uploaded mine and color coded things of intrerst but haven't updated it: https://docs.googleDOTcom/spread ... wQ/edit?usp=sharing

https://githubDOTcom/o-gs/dji-firmware-tools#comm_og_service_toolpy Explains how to format what you are sending, you get the param from the master file and the mini is WM160.

Between the Git and the Mavic thread you should be able to figure it out, I'm on FW 1.03 and it wrote for me. I didn't have luck with the --alt option, I found the git instructions to be cleaner to follow. One user in the mavic thread Post #30 about having an issue, just copy pasting the params into the cmd line doesn't work. You need to end the param with _0 like the example given with the spark. Also --fmt=2line makes things a lot easier to read, mavic guy's don't mention any of this and it saved me some time.

I'll record a video next time of just connecting and modifying a value, I'm forgetting some things and have to have it in front of me again. One issue you might run into is the drone disconnecting on you, I tried to send a param write and it was rejecting because the device was disconnected. A quick unplug and reset like you would for connecting to dji assistant and it was good for the rest of my fooling around.
2020-4-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I see this subject has not gone away just yet, but this might help others who emphatically said that increasing pitch on mini would not be a problem would get your drone to fly quicker, no consideration for anything else about the drone, no thought for how the drone is engineered and what the knock on problems might be. The usual armchair drone pilots who complain about everything have answers to everything, but if only they got up of their ar*e and went out flying they would know so much more.

Great job on the test and thanks for posting the results pitfalls and all .
2020-4-2
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-2 07:10
I see this subject has not gone away just yet, but this might help others who emphatically said that increasing pitch on mini would not be a problem would get your drone to fly quicker, no consideration for anything else about the drone, no thought for how the drone is engineered and what the knock on problems might be. The usual armchair drone pilots who complain about everything have answers to everything, but if only they got up of their ar*e and went out flying they would know so much more.

Great job on the test and thanks for posting the results pitfalls and all .

Thanks, yeah I didn't want to bring that thread up again and figured for those who want to mess around and are skilled enough too it could be a fun topic.

DJI knew what they were doing when they designed this, it's not like they took oversized motors and handicapped it via software. The motors are designed for what it is, change the pitch all you like but if it doesn't have any more rpm to spin faster it becomes a hindrance.

I haven't had the time to check the flights with FRAP but on airdata all but one flight has been under 10Amps, one flight crossed that and it was a windy day. I don't know what the ESC's are rated for so I probably won't keep it at 40 for much longer but I want to try decreasing it a little at a time and see if there might be a sweet spot. I think 40 is to aggressive and from what I can hear it's almost like chaff/chopping the air, watching the first video I do start to lose height after a little while so I feel with a less aggressive pitch it could fly faster if it's not fighting the drop.

There's some values that talk about amp current but I can't find any solid evidence or rating anywhere for the ESC so I don't want to push it. If we knew some data then we could try increasing the amp limit and see if there isn't that just little bit more but I'm not looking to go that far but it's neat to think about.
2020-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules