My thoughts as a new owner
5790 19 2020-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Ive had a good read through the posts on this group, so far im a little worried about actually flying my MM any where except my garden, I know that the majority of pilots have had no issues but,

I was reading a post about a guy flying over the sea and his MM went down, he said he was at 8ft or so over the ocean, so I decided to test the barometer on my mini and im suprised to find its about as reliable as the Phantom 2 range of quads (hands up if you flew one of those), here are a couple of screen shots, the fence shown in 6ft 2 inches ( for some reason this website wont let me hit Shift/2 to get exclamation marks, works fine on other webpages) anyway the pictures clearly show an totally inaccurate height of the quad, I confirmed this by just flying around the garden and climbing up and down to about 20ft and noticed the height from the ground change drastically, perhaps it might go some way to explaining these occurences of quad issues.

Im now waiting for the Covid to clear up and lockdown lifted before I can actually get to fly outdoors, if by some chance the MM decides not to behave does having DJI care refresh going to help ?

92.jpg
52.jpg
2020-4-2
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

In other forums I've seen message passed by old time pilots about MM being critically flawed, scorning new MM users coming for help, something along the lines of: it's normal... you've bought a lousy product what did you expect?. There's nothing furthest from the truth and those people are just proving their small mindedness, beyond not helping out at all.

Concerning height problems when facing a wind STRONGER than the AC capabilities as already explained by some personnel at DJI the MM would gradually lose a little bit of height to get a better chance of standing up against wind. Not only at lower altitudes and near ground the wind almost always decreases but that offers a better change of retrieval if the drone is coming back more easily. If the drone would stand up to the wind (more powerful than its design limit) to it's maximum capability it would still end up being carried away indefinitely only to auto-land when the battery is empty.

Another thorny problem was this flying strategy being fused and confused with ESC related problems. Those are usually a good indicator of maxed out motors, and that is also a good indicator deeply tied to flattened or incorrectly shaped propellers. So far all the cases that I could notice where heavy ESC error rate was involved and in which a fix to change the propellers was applied managed to solve the problem. Not only that, I've seen reports of errors starting to appear later in life of MM in the hands of their respective owners, this means that at delivery the AC was most likely OK and props got warped with time and storage. It's very important not to ignore ESC errors as flattened props (and maxed out rear motors) are one of the main causes of height losses.

There's then the uncommanded descent, usually by a hanful of meters at most. That can happen when flying for several seconds full speed ahead and down in Sport mode. Pressure buildup inside the drone top bow chamber causes increased pressure readings to which the FC reacts accordingly, dropping the altitude and recovering a bit later when pressure reading evens out. This is a design limitation and not something that I feel particularly limiting.

Having an inaccurate reading at landing, for example some meters below the actual starting point, I think it's pretty much the norm due to the conservative way the altitude is calculated, I think to stay on the safe side both in term of atmospheric pressure variation and possible reading deviations.

I've never experienced any abnormality with my Mavic Mini concerning flights. I can just report good things about the little aircraft. Not only I've manged to fly 160 Km with it but also never experienced any significant error rate, I am pretty content with range and performance level.

DJI Care Refresh isn't replacing drones for free but you need a drone to bring back as it cannot cover fly-aways... which usually happen when: A: IGNORED Strong Wind Warnings, B: compass is initialized in a distorted magnetic field.

Wondering what's the offspring of the two creatures mating in your profile picture
2020-4-2
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

m80116 Posted at 4-2 12:56
In other forums I've seen message passed by old time pilots about MM being critically flawed, scorning new MM users coming for help, something along the lines of: it's normal... you've bought a lousy product what did you expect?. There's nothing furthest from the truth and those people are just proving their small mindedness, beyond not helping out at all.

Concerning height problems when facing a wind STRONGER than the AC capabilities as already explained by some personnel at DJI the MM would gradually lose a little bit of height to get a better chance of standing up against wind. Not only at lower altitudes and near ground the wind almost always decreases but that offers a better change of retrieval if the drone is coming back more easily. If the drone would stand up to the wind (more powerful than its design limit) to it's maximum capability it would still end up being carried away indefinitely only to auto-land when the battery is empty.

Wondering what's the offspring of the two creatures mating in your profile picture

I'll post a picture in 9 months 8)
2020-4-4
Use props
Dirt Buster
lvl.1
United States

crash1sttime Posted at 4-4 01:54

That was hilarious!

2020-5-16
Use props
Dirt Buster
lvl.1
United States

crash1sttime Posted at 4-4 01:54

That was hilarious!

2020-5-16
Use props
djiuser_Pxzw45EGqkOR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8921 ft
United States

Guys.. I crashed my mavic mini and it’s wobbly. What do I do??
2020-6-1
Use props
CT_99
New
Flight distance : 65797 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_Pxzw45EGqkOR Posted at 6-1 19:24
Guys.. I crashed my mavic mini and it’s wobbly. What do I do??

Does it power up ok? Any issue with the rotors?
2020-6-4
Use props
GlenH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16 ft

United States

That's sucks friend of mine was flying his over the gulf about a week ago dropping baits he stopped the drone in flight cause a seagull was flying by while waiting for it to pass by the wind blew our buddies loose line into the props and there goes the drone 60' drop right into to the gulf. Got the drone back battery blew from the saltwater after taking it out of the drone. No one will work on it now so he's got to get another one. Oh yeah it was a phantom 2.  Well I have the Phantom 3 Professional getting it ready for to drop baits too, seagulls better watch out I'm not stopping
2020-7-8
Use props
SpudRacer
New
United States

I had a close call today.  I flew my new Mavic 2 Pro from a parking lot in Felton, California out over some train tracks to shoot an old steam locomotive that was scheduled to pass by.  It was a bright sunny day and I positioned the drone about 50 feet above a break in the trees next to the tracks and slowly descended the drone.  It wasn’t until I was about five feet away from the power lines that I saw them and stopped immediately.  The thing is, once I saw them on the screen of my iPhone 11 Pro Max, they were easy to see and avoid, but I almost missed them because it was so sunny and I had a terrible time seeing clearly what was on the phone screen.  Flying up high, not a problem, but close quarters flying is dangerous when you can’t see the drone or the screen well.

My wife suggested maxing the brightness of the screen, pretty good idea.  I’ve added that as a start-up check on my pre-flight list to max out the phone brightness.

But I’m wondering if a pair of FPV goggles would be a smarter choice?  How many people use them for their Mavic 2 Pro?

First time posting, thanks for reading...

Tom
2020-7-9
Use props
UgunnaH8this
lvl.1

United States

@GlenH  good luck brother let us know how it turns out
2020-7-14
Use props
djiuser_jxG2YFunhce7
lvl.1
United States

Yep good luck!
2020-8-29
Use props
Kentucky_Ranger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25617 ft
United States

SpudRacer Posted at 7-9 22:39
I had a close call today.  I flew my new Mavic 2 Pro from a parking lot in Felton, California out over some train tracks to shoot an old steam locomotive that was scheduled to pass by.  It was a bright sunny day and I positioned the drone about 50 feet above a break in the trees next to the tracks and slowly descended the drone.  It wasn’t until I was about five feet away from the power lines that I saw them and stopped immediately.  The thing is, once I saw them on the screen of my iPhone 11 Pro Max, they were easy to see and avoid, but I almost missed them because it was so sunny and I had a terrible time seeing clearly what was on the phone screen.  Flying up high, not a problem, but close quarters flying is dangerous when you can’t see the drone or the screen well.

My wife suggested maxing the brightness of the screen, pretty good idea.  I’ve added that as a start-up check on my pre-flight list to max out the phone brightness.

Welcome! From a new comer here as well. Like many forums, you have to participate a little, to get the ability to post new threads. This would be an awesome topic, because I've had the same question in my head. Just post a few times, and you should be able to start this in a new thread, where you should get some better answers than here.
2020-9-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good luck with it
2020-9-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

m80116 Posted at 4-2 12:56

Concerning height problems when facing a wind STRONGER than the AC capabilities as already explained by some personnel at DJI the MM would gradually lose a little bit of height to get a better chance of standing up against wind. Not only at lower altitudes and near ground the wind almost always decreases but that offers a better change of retrieval if the drone is coming back more easily. If the drone would stand up to the wind (more powerful than its design limit) to it's maximum capability it would still end up being carried away indefinitely only to auto-land when the battery is empty.

That's probably one of the most comprehensive, informed (and informative) situational reviews I've read on this forum. Thanks for your input. I'm a 4-year drone user and have (amongst others) a Mavic Mini. Apart from it being a little frisky in all but the slightest breeze, I've had no issues flying it out to 500 metres or so. I think the OP is perhaps, understandably, a little over-cautious about his new acquisition and will be delighted with it once he can get out and use it to its full potential.
2020-9-29
Use props
djiuser_pI6fgVXa3CYF
New

India

[img][/img]
2020-10-1
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Hope you get it going again
2020-10-10
Use props
ThugMuffin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 222395 ft
United States

SpudRacer Posted at 7-9 22:39
I had a close call today.  I flew my new Mavic 2 Pro from a parking lot in Felton, California out over some train tracks to shoot an old steam locomotive that was scheduled to pass by.  It was a bright sunny day and I positioned the drone about 50 feet above a break in the trees next to the tracks and slowly descended the drone.  It wasn’t until I was about five feet away from the power lines that I saw them and stopped immediately.  The thing is, once I saw them on the screen of my iPhone 11 Pro Max, they were easy to see and avoid, but I almost missed them because it was so sunny and I had a terrible time seeing clearly what was on the phone screen.  Flying up high, not a problem, but close quarters flying is dangerous when you can’t see the drone or the screen well.

My wife suggested maxing the brightness of the screen, pretty good idea.  I’ve added that as a start-up check on my pre-flight list to max out the phone brightness.

Note: Sorry for all the giant pictures, I'm still new to this as well and can't figure out how to make them the proper size/delete them. Haha

Another option that isn't too costly is to get a tablet holder for your controller (if you don't already have one, but if you're using a tablet I assume you already have one) and then buying a shade for your tablet/phone such as this one! It keeps the sun/glare off the screen so you can more easily differentiate between objects while you're flying.  This one is just for my phone, but tablet options are made.
Here's a link to one that I just pulled off amazon.  Make sure to read its specs and get the proper one for your needs.  
https://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-Compatible-Controller-N-ORANIE-Upgraded/dp/B078NM1533/ref=pd_sbs_421_3/146-3983542-6632569?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078NM1533&pd_rd_r=4734da20-cf96-4658-9041-3eef8e0e5688&pd_rd_w=wQr8a&pd_rd_wg=y0aCb&pf_rd_p=ff9b5089-1414-4e8f-9675-3397e98bf276&pf_rd_r=3X5820P4DDDWNPJCXSBS&psc=1&refRID=3X5820P4DDDWNPJCXSBS  

I hope you find this helpful.
2020-11-1
Use props
mathogre
lvl.2
United States

Hi!  I'm a new owner of a Mavic Mini, purchased practically on the eve of the Mini 2 launch and aware of the pending launch.  After seeing everything on the MM, I knew I was getting a solid drone with that.  It arrived on November 4 and I had it in the air on November 10.  The delay from arrival to first flight was because of airspace restrictions.  Working through that was more challenging than operating the aircraft the first time, but that's now behind me.

I am impressed with my little MM.  For an inexpensive drone, it is extraordinarily sophisticated.  It is easy to fly, it is stable, and it is fun!  Prior to first flight, I'd seen YouTube videos on winds and remembered immediately how winds change once you're off the ground.  I'm impressed with how the MM handles winds, and how it apparently warns about high winds.  My interest in the MM is because of work (air traffic control r&d) and because of my photography hobby which may now branch more into video.

Graham
DJI_0016.JPG
2020-11-13
Use props
studfarm86
lvl.2
United States

Flying over the ocean 8 ft ags is just stupid.   Just avoid flying over water unless you are high up, and do pre flight checks everytime. Most lost drones are user error. I should know. I destroyed my air 2 in Sept lol.
2020-11-14
Use props
anyoucchka
lvl.1

Turkey

hope you got lucky to make it right !

2022-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules