Focus Hunting is back ?
504 5 2020-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

A recent video made in my home town of Canterbury UK showing the empty streets and parks following the Coronavirus LockDown.   Normally these streets and parks would be full of shoppers, students, and visitors. (we have 40,000+ students in Canterbury but most have headed to their homes)
4K 25fps.  Focus set at AFC.

I was surprised to note that even in good light there was focus hunting in nearly every clip.  I was able to edit the 'hunt' out of longer clips.
What do you think about the focus hunting?

Perhaps I should have used AFS for these scenes?

Regards
John

2020-4-2
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Yes, AFS would have been a good choice trying as best as possible to set the focus at the hyper-focal length which for this camera I would say to try to initially select something aproximately 60 meters away to focus on for general use but here a bit closer, say 45 meters as it's more closed in. I didn't realise we live in the same county. I'm in not so beautiful Medway (Rochester) as your home town perhaps but has it's own areas of charm.

[Edit]

Having just looked at your video I can understand the focus breathing on the slow pans but also don't expect the first few seconds of a clip to be without problems. Liked your use of the virus logo. Great idea I may pinch at some point and the music choice I found matched the calm of the piece. I noticed one or two people not really understanding the social distancing rules but that's happening all over I think. In the next two weeks I think that will change. Keep safe.

Ray.

2020-4-3
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-3 01:55
Yes, AFS would have been a good choice trying as best as possible to set the focus at the hyper-focal length which for this camera I would say to try to initially select something aproximately 60 meters away to focus on for general use but here a bit closer, say 45 meters as it's more closed in. I didn't realise we live in the same county. I'm in not so beautiful Medway (Rochester) as your home town perhaps but has it's own areas of charm.

Thanks Ray-CubeAce - I'll try the AFS setting next time.  I've always used AFC and not been aware of focus hunting since recent updates.  I was quite disappointed to notice it in these clips.

Your area has some very nice places.  Chatham Dockyard, Rochester High Street, the Cathderal and the Castle.
2020-4-3
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

John Walker Posted at 4-3 02:09
Thanks Ray-CubeAce - I'll try the AFS setting next time.  I've always used AFC and not been aware of focus hunting since recent updates.  I was quite disappointed to notice it in these clips.

Your area has some very nice places.  Chatham Dockyard, Rochester High Street, the Cathderal and the Castle.

Hi John.
I think in AFC it can hunt for faces and where there are none it may mistake another object for one. We should be able to take face tracking off as an option, but also AFC is more useful for tracking moving things than when walking. The problem I think is it can be quite good for general use in more open areas so we tend to forget it can cause problems. I think video is like photography. Expect a lot of it to be left on the cutting room floor for loads of different reasons.  Well Chatham Dockyard is only open to the businesses within it and it's small private population. I normally volunteer there when I have some free time and get updates. Apparently the wildlife is taking over for now. Kingfishers have been spotted near the basins. A bird I've never seen locally. We do have quite a few other nice areas but are too far away for me at present to visit.
Keep well and away from wallies.
2020-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is strange indeed.
2020-4-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I was too intrigued with the scenes to notice any focus hunting!  Nicely done.  I'm amazed at the degree of lockdown - here (Melbourne AU) there are social distancing regulations, and strict rules concerning reasons to leave your house (making a video would be an offence!) but many shops are still open, though not doing much business of course, and strict measures in them for keeping people apart etc.  When I lived in the UK I visited Canterbury a few times from my South London home but didn't know it well - beautiful town from what I see in your video.  (Maybe tomorrow I'll try to watch again looking for focus issues and post something a bit more on-topic!)
2020-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules