Charging P3 batteries in car
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

I know there have been other threads re charging P3 batteries in vehicles using portable inverters, but I'm wanting to check to see if this particular inverter (180W) will be compatible with the P3Pro charger.....

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-P ... e-Inverter/p/MI5700

The next one up (300W) is a hard wired version which I don't want as I want to use it in a hire car, not just my own car.

Will this suffice?

Cheers!

2015-6-14
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

For that price, $219 -- yikes!  

Normally I'd agree getting an inverter is a less expensive alternative to the $99 DJI car charger but in this case I've got to wonder.  Excuse my ignorance about Australian electrical standards, are cars wired for 12 or 24 VDC?
2015-6-15
Use props
Rimas_M
lvl.2

Lithuania

gil Posted at 2015-6-15 21:06

Normally I'd agree getting an inverter is a less expensive alterna ...

The reason behind this price is "Pure Sine Wave". Those bastards are pricey.
2015-6-15
Use props
mcrs
lvl.1
Canada

Hi John,

I recently purchased a 140W inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter in my vehicle and have charged the P3P battery without issue. After reading what is okay to use with this type of inverter (non pure-sine), it's fine for charging batteries as long as it goes through a transformer (as is the case with the DJI charger).

The one I found was $45, but I've seen them for less. Seems to depend on what wattage you need.  

Cheers,

Mark
2015-6-15
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

mcrs@mark11.com Posted at 2015-6-16 00:40
Hi John,

I recently purchased a 140W inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter in my vehicle a ...

Thanks Mark!

I've read bad stories about "modified sine wave" inverters causing problems with electronic equipment, so I wanted to make sure I got a good quality one (pure sine wave) just in case.  Unfortunately yes they are a LOT more expensive though.  I'll also be using it to charge a laptop, but like you said this is also through a transformer so perhaps the cheaper ones may suffice?
2015-6-15
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

gil Posted at 2015-6-15 21:06

Normally I'd agree getting an inverter is a less expensive alterna ...

Most Aussie cars are 12V, but some 4WDs (and maybe trucks, etc.??) run on 24V batteries.

Yes we pay a lot more for gear here than the US unfortunately, but that's the Aussie dollar conversion for you! lol
2015-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules