Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kalle.lindbeck
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52238 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hello!

Went out flying today with my P2 and the battery (DJI smart battery) went from 45% down to below 15% in one second (hovering). The quad triggered the failsafe and came down so no worries there. The strange thing is that after the P2 landed the battery started to pulse its charge level! Are the DJI smart batteries safe? Maybe they built a little to many features into the batteries or maybe the design isn't tested properly. When connected to the assistant the battery is sad to have 94% "lifetime" left.

What shall I do?

Best Regards

Kalle Lindbeck
2014-9-20
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Two things, you can try and deep cycle the battery, take it down to below 8% and then fully charge, and see what it does after that.
Or contact your dealer and see if they will replace it for you.
Is the battery swollen anywhere ?
2014-9-20
Use props
marcosm2986
New

Panama

i have got the same problem.. I bought this batterry on January (8 months ago)
i would like to know if that have waranty..
im very disapointed about this failed
i only use them 5 time and now is not working anymore.
2014-9-20
Use props
venturelli.mail
New

Italy

my lipo is puffy yesterday, at 32% auto landing. the battery has 36 cycle of charge, i'm disappointed for this type of problem, anyone have a good idea?:@
2014-9-22
Use props
simonfeaugas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

Having battery problem here aswell!
2014-9-22
Use props
rethuringer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

Hello, I am new here and a new PV2+ owner. I have over 30 years experience with everything remote controlled fuel & electric powered, land and sky. i have been reading through this forum and also the DJI docs concerning the battery and have to caution everyone, do some research on properly discharging LiPo batteries. Never should a LiPo battery be fully discharged, this will destroy them and is one of the main reasons for puffy batteries and poor/shorter performance. The other contributor is over or fast charging. The DJI charging system seems fine and battery cycleing is correct but do not discharge them below 3.0V per cell or 9.0V for the pack (which is made up of 3 cells). From what I can tell, these Smart Batteries have their chargeing and balancing circuitry built into the pack it's self (Makes them more expensive) and the switching power supply (12V/4.0A) just provides the power. this limits what can be done with battery care but it is designed that way. In the hobby world we work with LiPo packs that have just power leads and balance plugs and our specialized intelligent chargers are programmed to do the work of properly balance charging and discharging the pack based on how many cells its built into. Having been involved with electric RC in the beginning of LiPo battery usage, and having learned the hard way along with other club members in the hobby the volital nature of LiPos and relearning charging/discharging habits of other battery types and proper equipment. The DJI equipment is packaged for the consumer in a safe and easy to use system. I don't agree or recommend the fully discharge/Recharge to maintain the battery health. as i said up top, everyone should research proper Lithium Polymer battery care (there's a lot more info) and use and go from there also what to do with a puffed battery before disposing. Also, I keep all my LiPo batteries in a fireproof lockbox (Walmart $20) and charge them in a large ceramic mug. You all can check out youtube for videos on LiPo mishaps if you like. Just felt i needed to share that and I am going to follow what i know on maintaining my PV2+ batteries and see how long they will last. Happy Flying.
2014-10-6
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

rethuringer@icl Posted at 2014-10-7 10:20
Hello, I am new here and a new PV2+ owner. I have over 30 years experience with everything remote co ...

OK so do we follow what is in the DJI manual regarding charging, discharging and storage of their batteries or what?  I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to convey to the reader.  Please elaborate.
2014-10-6
Use props
rethuringer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

Dragonrider Posted at 2014-10-7 10:41
OK so do we follow what is in the DJI manual regarding charging, discharging and storage of their  ...

Like I said in my post, do some research on the web. There are a many sites that deal with the questions and answers without me writing a book here. I noticed a number of posts about puffed batteries and felt I should share my knowledge and experiences of many years of flying electric aircraft (Planes & Heli's) and working in the hobby shops dealing with these types of issues. Puffed batteries need to be handled with great care as they are in a volatile state. I get the impression reading through the many forums and blogs that many drone fliers have never touched anything RC until they got their hands on one of these because basically anyone can fly one so they know nothing about anything other than take it out of the box and fly.
Just trying to help here.
2014-10-7
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Dji supply the charger and most of the folks dont alter the battery settings in the software  so the battery's dont get discharged fully .Regarding the puffy battery's  this is very common and i would put it down to the charger and not the users as the user has no control over the charging rates  you just hope dji got the charger correct .
I just wish they would drop the price
2014-10-7
Use props
Cbergen
lvl.1

United States

Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever...  Definitely not Li-po batteries!!

I have only had the P2V+ for 3 months, but have put at least 75 flights on it, with only the one battery.  I do not always fly for the entire battery, but I do often enough to comply with the DJI recommendations for this battery.

An unused battery can be just as bad as a misused battery.  5 flights in 8 months?   How was the battery stored? IOW,  was it put up for a period of time at full charge/minimum charge?  Either one can be bad for the battery.
2014-10-7
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

Hi Kalle,
Please clean the contacts in the battery cabin  and on battery to see whether it helps.
BTW, please offer me the screenshot of the  battery info in the assisstant software.
2014-10-8
Use props
Bluefair
lvl.1
Flight distance : 158885 ft
Denmark

I have the same problem here on 2 battery on the same day. I have followed all the rules in the manual. There is something wrong, my guess it is one of the updates to the Phantom2. I can see, in the battery information, that the batteryes looks fine.BATTERY LOADER 1.5

battery1

battery1
2014-11-20
Use props
Autumn
lvl.4

China

Bluefair Posted at 2014-11-21 00:54
I have the same problem here on 2 battery on the same day. I have followed all the rules in the manu ...

Check the battery status in the upgrades page, have u upgraded to the latest version?
2014-11-20
Use props
ghostmaster
lvl.2

Portugal

Check this too: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2014-11-23
Use props
Bluefair
lvl.1
Flight distance : 158885 ft
Denmark

Autumn Posted at 2014-11-21 10:44
Check the battery status in the upgrades page, have u upgraded to the latest version?

Yes all is the latest updates
2014-11-26
Use props
reza.kohi.rosta
lvl.1

United States

Dji Phantom 2, Smart Battery Failure warn that the voltage is low at 75%, and wants to land. at 75% this should not be happening
please help me
my battery life is 97%
discharging times 9

2015-3-29
Use props
jkim248
lvl.1

United States

Recently lost a whole Phantom 2, H3-3D gimbal, GoPro 4 Black into the sea.  Battery lost all power. Voltage stayed constant at 11.7v. It just dropped like a rock right into the sea with 92% power.
Battery had little bit of problem in prior flight, it was losing power with no indication in voltage or power meter on a different Phantom 2 Vision+. Drone kept losing altitude but I was able to bring it back up.
I discharged the battery (zero on meter does not mean zero voltage on the DJI smart battery.) and recharged.
I let the drone hover for a while to make sure there was no problems.
Took it out just a bit then it dropped like a rock right into the sea. Lost everything.
Battery had about 10 flights on it.

If your battery is showing problems it's not worth risking your whole drone on it. Pitch it and get a new one even if it only has few cycles on it.

There are rumors here in Asia of people using the battery then swapping the cells and selling it. But it's just a rumor.

2015-4-19
Use props
neil.printmaxx
lvl.1

United States

rethuringer@icl Posted at 2014-10-7 10:20
Hello, I am new here and a new PV2+ owner. I have over 30 years experience with everything remote co ...

I was surprised NOT (caps for emphasis) to read anywhere in ANY of the literature the mention of FIREPROOF CHARGING BAGS. The image they use to advertise their car charger shows a Lipo on the front seat of a car NOT in a FIREPROOF charging bag and without ANY mention of the ADDED DANGERS of the heat buildup inside a vehicle. Please heed all Lipo warnings....thanks, peace
2015-4-20
Use props
marian.filip3
New

Romania

My battery turns red on my app at 67% i get the sound alert and the drone auto lands.
it happened 5 times in a raw , same flight.

2015-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules