Blade Strike in P mode
1595 20 2020-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

Blade Strike in P mode...should I worry...?
Blade strike.jpg
2020-4-8
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Yes. Wondering if some front arms are softer than others or if temperature and RH play a role or else (the arms squoosh filling absorbs water).

Some reported that motor caps help in spacing the props further up and away from the body.
2020-4-8
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

How old are those props (how many flights/miles on them) and how do you store your MM? I would change props right away as a precaution, and see if the issue persists...
2020-4-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, please refer to 120ccpm's reply, you are recommended to change props to see if the issue persists or not. If there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know.
2020-4-9
Use props
Dr0ne_n00b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8060348 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Front arms flexing cause the prop to strike the body. Motor caps are one way but potentially risk overheating motors due to lack of ventilation. Other approach is 3D print and retrofit stiffeners in the front arms so they arent so flimsy.
https://dronedj.com/2020/03/24/d ... pops-hit-done-body/
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4102555

Would also replace the props anyway since they're damaged after striking the drone.
2020-4-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Well I wouldn’t worry, but I would change them, props are cheap and much needed to hold craft in the air.
2020-4-9
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

120ccpm Posted at 4-8 12:15
How old are those props (how many flights/miles on them) and how do you store your MM? I would change props right away as a precaution, and see if the issue persists...

hi, about 8 flights only...always in calm weather and never Sport mode.
2020-4-9
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Dr0ne_n00b Posted at 4-9 01:58
Front arms flexing cause the prop to strike the body. Motor caps are one way but potentially risk overheating motors due to lack of ventilation. Other approach is 3D print and retrofit stiffeners in the front arms so they arent so flimsy.
https://dronedj.com/2020/03/24/dji-mavic-mini-design-flaw-pops-hit-done-body/

I've heard this before but it doesn't seem plausible to me. What makes you think it's the arms flexing and not the props?

Judging by the video posted here, it looks like unbalanced props causing horrible vibrations and massive prop flexing: https://forum.dji.com/thread-211249-1-1.html

2020-4-9
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

fans1cafe718 Posted at 4-9 02:35
hi, about 8 flights only...always in calm weather and never Sport mode.

There was a theory about good props going bad somehow causing the strike in my report which was very early on this issue. But some reported relatively new units having the issue. So the conclusion was a batch of props was bad. I solved my problem by replacing the front right twice, then the front left once.
2020-4-9
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Dr0ne_n00b Posted at 4-9 01:58
https://dronedj.com/2020/03/24/dji-mavic-mini-design-flaw-pops-hit-done-body/

I did it ... glued plastic parts in. Can't find anything negative. Incidentally, I am quite pain-free in matters of guarantee ... For everyone in pain, please don't do it unless DJI recommends it ...
IMG_4666.JPG
2020-4-9
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

Guorium Posted at 4-9 03:48
There was a theory about good props going bad somehow causing the strike in my report which was very early on this issue. But some reported relatively new units having the issue. So the conclusion was a batch of props was bad. I solved my problem by replacing the front right twice, then the front left once.

...replaced just one prop or in pairs per arm?
...btw, my mini is dated Dec15th...
2020-4-9
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

DaMa Posted at 4-9 04:00
I did it ... glued plastic parts in. Can't find anything negative. Incidentally, I am quite pain-free in matters of guarantee ... For everyone in pain, please don't do it unless DJI recommends it ...

...did that fix your problem?
...maybe smear a little sharpie on fuselage and check if it get scratched...?
2020-4-9
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 4-9 02:00
Well I wouldn’t worry, but I would change them, props are cheap and much needed to hold craft in the air.

...like your humour...lol, much needed huh? lolll
2020-4-9
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

fans1cafe718 Posted at 4-9 05:48
...replaced just one prop or in pairs per arm?
...btw, my mini is dated Dec15th...

Always replace a pair as they come out of the paired molds and should be balanced.
2020-4-9
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

Guorium Posted at 4-9 06:12
Always replace a pair as they come out of the paired molds and should be balanced.

yes...I shall.

...Just did a check in idle...props track very straight....hmmm, probably they go soft in flight...would carbon fiber blades be better and would it void the warranty...?
Strike.jpg
2020-4-9
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fans1cafe718 Posted at 4-9 05:50
...did that fix your problem?
...maybe smear a little sharpie on fuselage and check if it get scratched...?

I don't know, time will tell. The twisted arms were already a "nogo" for me after unpacking (10.30.2019 ordered).
The foam inserts are probably wanted by DJI. Doesn't make sense to me, the arms look like torsion springs - if they were at least damped ... maybe they wanted to take some power out of the attachment to the housing, maybe the thin housing can't take the force now? As long as he flies like this, I'm happy. If not, it was probably a "Griff ins Klo" (hand in the toilet sais the German).I also don't like the somewhat sloppy game between propeller and screw...
2020-4-9
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

fans1cafe718 Posted at 4-9 07:16
yes...I shall.

...Just did a check in idle...props track very straight....hmmm, probably they go soft in flight...would carbon fiber blades be better and would it void the warranty...?

No idea man. I suppose more rigid carbon would make it less prone to vibration and warping out of shape. Definitely against warranty if you fly with third party parts not approved by DJI.
2020-4-9
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

Guorium Posted at 4-9 15:29
No idea man. I suppose more rigid carbon would make it less prone to vibration and warping out of shape. Definitely against warranty if you fly with third party parts not approved by DJI.

If it's a blade rigidity problem, carbon fiber blades should certainly fix this without the added weight and heat issues related to engine covers.

Any of these solutions would void warranty anyways...
2020-4-10
Use props
Dr0ne_n00b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8060348 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 4-9 03:15
I've heard this before but it doesn't seem plausible to me. What makes you think it's the arms flexing and not the props?

Judging by the video posted here, it looks like unbalanced props causing horrible vibrations and massive prop flexing: https://forum.dji.com/thread-211249-1-1.html

Front arms are a very thin plastic and flex very easily, presumably losing rigidity over time. They are also supported by nothing but a piece of foam, unlike back arms which are a more solid plastic. The "mod" simply gives the front arms more support to be like the back arms.
2020-4-10
Use props
djiuser_GqWOvdwtD6Bz
New
Flight distance : 3799 ft

United States

fans1cafe718 Posted at 2020-4-10 02:40
If it's a blade rigidity problem, carbon fiber blades should certainly fix this without the added weight and heat issues related to engine covers.

Any of these solutions would void warranty anyways...

The only issue with using carbon fiber props is that nobody thats trustworthy really makes aftermarket props for the mavic mini, so unless you want to take your chances with amazon no name props idk what else to do .. mine isnt hitting the body and i even occassionally do a small vit of freestyle with my mini, haha i cant gelp it i fly 5 inch quads all the time so its second nature.. but back to the mini i have been trying to find a reputable company to buy carbon props from just because i wanted to do some testing. No luck.. and a buddy tried the amazon route and he had 3 put of the 8 explode when he went to take off... and he said when he opened the package they werw really rough feeling, the edges were not cleaned up at all and the top and bottom were like sandpaper so id stay clear of them unless you find a reputable manufacturer..  for 12 bucks for a complete set i just buy like 4 sets at a time so i can periodically change them out.. they are pretty tough
2021-5-5
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

djiuser_GqWOvdwtD6Bz Posted at 5-5 20:52
The only issue with using carbon fiber props is that nobody thats trustworthy really makes aftermarket props for the mavic mini, so unless you want to take your chances with amazon no name props idk what else to do .. mine isnt hitting the body and i even occassionally do a small vit of freestyle with my mini, haha i cant gelp it i fly 5 inch quads all the time so its second nature.. but back to the mini i have been trying to find a reputable company to buy carbon props from just because i wanted to do some testing. No luck.. and a buddy tried the amazon route and he had 3 put of the 8 explode when he went to take off... and he said when he opened the package they werw really rough feeling, the edges were not cleaned up at all and the top and bottom were like sandpaper so id stay clear of them unless you find a reputable manufacturer..  for 12 bucks for a complete set i just buy like 4 sets at a time so i can periodically change them out.. they are pretty tough

Carbon prop would probably damage the fuselage more. DJI reinforced front arm for mini 2 and the issue is no more. So flexibly arm is likely the main issue here.
2021-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules