Air unit video freeze
5728 14 2020-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

I have a GEPRC Rocket Plus BNF that I received on March 24th .   All I had to do of course was bind the XF rx and go as it is sold as a professionally tuned BNF . It flys fine , although my flying sucks due to only getting the Mavic out for the past 4 years . The last thing I flew like this was an old Vortek 280 so pardon my not so smooth test runs here .  The onboard video will freeze as soon as I do a powerloop while the video still runs recording audio only . If I wait until later in the flight as in the link below , it will freeze at that point or it will freeze immediatly if I perform a loop just after takeoff . I have tried 4 different SD cards , all formatted in the Air Unit . Two are Sandisk Ultra with one being a 64 GB and the other a 32GB . The other two are 32 Gb Kinstons all of which do perfectly fine in the Mavic or a HD dashcam which I tried them in . Any help will be appreciated as GEPRCs support has been useless .  I'll tack their responses below .

Here is the GEPRC Rocket Plus  https://geprc.com/product/rocket-plus-dji-air-unit-hd-fpv/

A sample video from my 2nd flight . At 2:20 the video freezes but continues recording .

GEPRCs answer :  

[url=]info@geprc.com[/url] <[url=]info@geprc.com[/url]>     

Wed, Apr 8,   3:28 AM (1 day ago)

to me

Hi
It is almost normal at the video
Might signal disturbance
Thank you

[url=]info@geprc.com[/url] <[url=]info@geprc.com[/url]>     

1:26 AM (3   hours ago)

to me

Hi
This is ok
Nothing bring effect the camera but disturbance in the video
Thank you

2020-4-9
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

The fact that it only happened while under strain to the battery deep into a pack makes it seem power related.

I think your FCs 9V regulator powering your air unit is suspect, maybe it's not proving enough amps under load.

That's why I use an FC specifically designed to work with the air unit like the Kakutef7 HDV. Other FCs CAN work, but why through in extra variables.

2020-4-9
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

mc54 Posted at 4-9 05:49
The fact that it only happened while under strain to the battery deep into a pack makes it seem power related.

I think your FCs 9V regulator powering your air unit is suspect, maybe it's not proving enough amps under load.

It happens at the beginning of the pack also . Your theory makes sense but would not GEPRC be using a Fc that is designed for the Air Unit since it is a BNF ?  I suppose I'll tear it down and have a look but just kinda PO'd that GEPRC is just blowing my questions off .
2020-4-9
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 4-9 06:47
It happens at the beginning of the pack also . Your theory makes sense but would not GEPRC be using a Fc that is designed for the Air Unit since it is a BNF ?  I suppose I'll tear it down and have a look but just kinda PO'd that GEPRC is just blowing my questions off .

Does a punch out cause freezing, or just a power loop?
2020-4-9
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2020-4-9
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2020-4-9
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

Tom_A Posted at 4-9 08:00

Just a power loop . Everything else is just fine .
2020-4-9
Use props
djiuser_gNa3Emgkl5Rh
New

United States

My brand new geprc hd3 air unit does the same exact thing? I'm trying to find solutions before I return.   Once said sd slow in goggles? But formatted two exact same cards sand disk ultimate 32gb works in Goggles? I wasn't shure does happens after power loop freezes.  Sometimes audio last for rest of vid. Going to try some different cards. Then get ahold of seller. Disappointed in product so far...see if dji backs??
2020-4-14
Use props
Cobaki
lvl.2

Switzerland

Had exactly the same problem with video freezing during power loops. I'm pretty sure my problem was a loose XT60 connection from the PDB to the battery causing a short brownout. I just spread the leads on the female connector and haven't had any issues since. Might be worth a try.  

2020-4-15
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

Cobaki Posted at 4-15 00:58
Had exactly the same problem with video freezing during power loops. I'm pretty sure my problem was a loose XT60 connection from the PDB to the battery causing a short brownout. I just spread the leads on the female connector and haven't had any issues since. Might be worth a try.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions . I have been very busy lately and haven't had a chance to fly again . Hopefully this weekend I will fly and try a new Sandisk Extreme SD card . I saw that was on their website with the drone so I'll make sure I am using the same card . The support from GEPRC really sucks . I'll be sure to come back with the results of trying a few things .
2020-4-23
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 4-23 08:56
Thanks everyone for the suggestions . I have been very busy lately and haven't had a chance to fly again . Hopefully this weekend I will fly and try a new Sandisk Extreme SD card . I saw that was on their website with the drone so I'll make sure I am using the same card . The support from GEPRC really sucks . I'll be sure to come back with the results of trying a few things .

Sadly the issue still prevails . New SD cards and latest Firmware and the video froze in 2 of the 4 flights .
2020-5-9
Use props
jedhassell
lvl.1

United States

I am also having the same issue.  Also have GEPRC Rocket Plus and am using Sandisk Extreme card.  I believe it is only happening when in 1080p mode though.  Have you tried in 1080p and 720p?  
2020-6-3
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

jedhassell@gmail.com Posted at 6-3 21:14
I am also having the same issue.  Also have GEPRC Rocket Plus and am using Sandisk Extreme card.  I believe it is only happening when in 1080p mode though.  Have you tried in 1080p and 720p?

I lost all video in the goggles shortly after this and lost the Rocket Plus in a wooded area .
2020-6-4
Use props
fans353c5c0b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 325243 ft

United Kingdom

My brand new Armattan Badger 4s with DJI Air unit (Caddx built - v2) freezes during a loop. I've only done 4 batteries on it. The first two, video froze and I crashed.
3rd battery.. I took it easy and I had a spotter... flew fine (just figure of 8s... no flips)
4th battery.. I decided to go for a split S. as soon as I pulled up.. video froze... I crashed. messed up my foam pads.
I then decided to let my spotter have the goggles and I flew it LoS.... everytime I pulled up for a loop... video froze

Cl Racing F4S 1.6 (Air Unit soldered on to the cam pads at 9.2v)
running latest firmware on goggles.. (1.0200.1 or something. 0606 or something on FPV Air Unit mode.

I'm tempted to solder the air unit direct to battery to test..
2021-7-21
Use props
fans353c5c0b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 325243 ft

United Kingdom

video of first crash which took me about 15mins looking for the quad as it fell on tall grass bushes and I had no idea where it fell so had to look around.
2021-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules