Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin SC with Nikon Cameras (D5500)
4225 1 2020-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
P Flanagan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32605 ft
United States

Hey all,

Just passing along something I came across and actually have working. I have a Ronin SC Pro Pack and use Nikon cameras, old Nikon cameras, I have 5100 and 5500 series bodies. The 5500 series balances great and just a few days ago I found a configuration of cables and connectors that allow me to get shutter control over the camera. I use the remote focus motor and a ring on the lens, adds some weight, but the SC handles it no problem.

If you have what Nikon calls a DC2 Accessory port on the side of your camera this option may work for you. If you have a remote trigger system for your camera, like from Pocket wizard, you may already have some of the cables. Basically what the camera is looking for is the on/off of the trigger. I can't really 100% explain the connection, something about the voltage shorting to the ground somewhere, but having some experience with remote flash units, I dug through the bag of jacks and found this works for me.

The link here is to a shared wish list at B&H Photo that has all the parts I am using.

https://www.bnh.com/wish/39fb14d5d5c6ed1f82e716081c11834e/

Now when you are done, the cable is obnoxious. I think I am going to try zip tying it to the focus motor arm and see how well that does. All you are really doing is taking the FujiFilm cable from DJI, make sure you get the FujiFilm one, the Panasonic one has a different 2.5mm connector, 4 rings instead of three. So with the FujiFilm connector, you need to up the 2.5mm stereo connector to a 3.5mm connector, there is an adapter for that, standard audio connector. Then you need to add in, it does not matter which end, the 3.5mm stereo to mono adapter, which is a key piece for me as I think it takes the L and R from the stereo feed and drops them both on to one channel, in our case it can take both the signal from the L pole and the R pole and allows the two to short to ground. Then add in the barrel connector, 3.5mm to 3.5mm, so you can plug in the Pocket wizard cable, or maybe the cable for your remote trigger, into the link. My Pocket wizard cable has 3.5mm stereo on one end and the DC2 connection on the other. With all of these connected, and plugged into the Focus Splitter or the Tilt Arm, I now get shutter control. Don't forget to set the Accessory Terminal -> Remote Control -> Remote Shutter release option in your camera menu to be either video or photo depending on what you are looking to do.

The cool part is now all of the functions work with the app. At least on my iPhone they do, I would expect since this is really just an on/off trigger it should work on all platforms. So now I can position the camera via the gimbal, set the focus, and push record. Done!

I would suspect the DJI would not approve of this connection, so use at your own risk, and it may fail again at some firmware update, but for about $60 USD I was able to get this to work. I will try over the next week or so to get a video to YouTube showing this all working, and hopefully DJI can make either a very simple connection cable or just put these parts all in a bag, and sell it for $60 USD on their own so we can find what we need.

Thanks to DJI for keeping the forums up, and for making products that we creators really need.
2020-4-9
Use props
P Flanagan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32605 ft
United States

Video can be found here: https://youtu.be/YOp5Fn1MTDQ
2020-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules