1968 26 2020-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

A few days ago, me and my friend was out flying with our drones.
Then I made this rookie mistake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia45H6Yxv6I

2020-4-9
Use props
SveinDJI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1273379 ft
Norway

Damn we were lucky!
2020-4-9
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Lucky you!
What you could learn, on top:
If flying in an area with no cell reception: Download the map beforehand, for that area!
That way, you have it offline on your phone
2020-4-9
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

2020-4-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Well happy ending all is good now, it’s recommend to never take off unless your battery is 100% freshly charged, batteries for mini are inexpensive just get extra.

I have imbedded your video so others can see and learn, as well as it been a really good watch.
Good luck.

2020-4-9
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 4-9 09:02
Well happy ending all is good now, it’s recommend to never take off unless your battery is 100% freshly charged, batteries for mini are inexpensive just get extra.

I have imbedded your video so others can see and learn, as well as it been a really good watch.

Since I'm new to this forum I also though they had made auto-embed for links, but thank you for doing it.
2020-4-9
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

S-e-ven Posted at 4-9 08:22
Lucky you!
What you could learn, on top:
If flying in an area with no cell receipton: Download the map beforehand, for that area!

Yeah I will do that next time
2020-4-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

johansenfoto Posted at 4-9 10:10
Since I'm new to this forum I also though they had made auto-embed for links, but thank you for doing it.

No problem just happy everything worked out for you.
2020-4-9
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am glad for your happy ending.
2020-4-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Am I missing something? Could you not get the last known GPS coordinates from the log file?
2020-4-9
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

BobWinNV Posted at 4-9 10:37
I am glad for your happy ending.

Thank you very much
2020-4-9
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

GaryDoug Posted at 4-9 13:04
Am I missing something? Could you not get the last known GPS coordinates from the log file?

Yes when we drove a few km where we got cellphone service to upload the logfile, so we could see at the map.
2020-4-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 4-9 13:44
Yes when we drove a few km where we got cellphone service to upload the logfile, so we could see at the map.

That's not what I meant. I believe you can use the Find My Drone screen to see the last known GPS coordinates. Then use the GPS in your phone to find that location without using any service or maps. I have never done that however. Can one of the experts here confirm?
2020-4-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Glad to know you found the drone in the end, thanks for sharing your story. Always be careful with the wind. If there is any damage to the drone, please don't hesitate to send in.
2020-4-10
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

GaryDoug Posted at 4-9 14:40
That's not what I meant. I believe you can use the Find My Drone screen to see the last known GPS coordinates. Then use the GPS in your phone to find that location without using any service or maps. I have never done that however. Can one of the experts here confirm?

My problem here was that I used a borrowed phone without a simcard, so we had to get it connected to internet with another phone before we could see the map. But yeah if I had downloaded the map before, then I probably would be good.

But we didn't plan where to fly before we went there.
2020-4-10
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-10 01:09
Glad to know you found the drone in the end, thanks for sharing your story. Always be careful with the wind. If there is any damage to the drone, please don't hesitate to send in.

Thank you.
It look good, have only tested it inside my house after.

But I wonder if there could be some issues why it did not want to fly straight if you look at this log:

https://app.airdata.com/flight/5bdd38dc36383358340055a80f355cbc/GENERALNotifications
2020-4-10
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 4-10 01:37
My problem here was that I used a borrowed phone without a simcard, so we had to get it connected to internet with another phone before we could see the map. But yeah if I had downloaded the map before, then I probably would be good.

But we didn't plan where to fly before we went there.

I'm still not explaining it correctly I guess. I am not talking about using any maps. With an app like the one shown below, you can view your current position coordinates in real time. It updates as you move. So all you would have to do is move in the direction to match the last known coordinates shown on the Find My Drone screen.  I install this particular app on all my devices. It does not require the use of the Internet or a phone service to display the overview screen.

You can do this by just using the included Google Maps app (while showing a blank map) but it not as easy.

2020-4-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

johansenfoto Posted at 4-10 01:39
Thank you.
It look good, have only tested it inside my house after.

Did you try to calibrate the compass? Please remove all the magnetic materials before calibrating. Make more tests in open place.
2020-4-13
Use props
Ducatinus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1288806 ft
Netherlands

I always record my screen (AZ recorder android ot build in recorder Ios) when flying. It would not made it easy for you but would be informative
2020-4-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 4-10 01:39
Thank you.
It look good, have only tested it inside my house after.

Hi Johansen,

Had a look at your flightlog.

As said by others, always start a flight with a full battery.

At 1m9s a warning " Aircraft temperature too low. Power errors may occur. Return to home promptly"
Cold craft / battery is not good idea to fly further.

At 4m10s a smart battery GoHome, thios at 23% batt level.
Craft left turned towards home, heading to home 136 degrees.
After 1 sec at the correct heading and start to cliimb to your RTH setting of 52 meters.
If you don`t need that height cancel the climbing, it took 14 seconds (batt usage)  to reach 51.3 meters, distance remained at 299 meters from home.
You cancelled RTH and in Sport mode 100% forward pitch. Due to low power only few degrees pitich down, craft drift backwards! And drops in height as well !!
Dropping height from 51 meters to 10 meters at wich connection loss.

With 20% battery level a MM should be able to pitch down much more to normal values, if done so your MM would have flown towards home.

If it made all the way to home with 20% battery....(btw; batt volts values normal for the % level)

So IMO another case of a MM dropping height uncontrolled, DJI should help you out.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
2020-4-13
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

learned lesson from prior crash as well.  so that you don't have to return home to suit up for a search and rescue mission, in my trunk i carry gloves, long pants, boots, bug spray, long sleeves, changes of clothes as well as flashlight, long stick, machete and other stuff to prepare for a trek in the bug-infested swampy woods.  i also use an audible locator beacon so i can hear my downed drone from far away.
2020-4-13
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Lesson learned here: use a skin contrasting to your environment for contingency operations. Orange could be a good color for water (but MM doesn't float) and snow.
2020-4-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

JJB* Posted at 4-13 04:43
Hi Johansen,

Had a look at your flightlog.

Thank you for clearing this out and checking out the log.
So you think I should contact DJI about it loses altitude?
I just saw a video that it could be the propellers is slightly bend since I get the Max power warning.
2020-4-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 4-13 12:44
Thank you for clearing this out and checking out the log.
So you think I should contact DJI about it loses altitude?
I just saw a video that it could be the propellers is slightly bend since I get the Max power warning.

Yes, IMO you should ask DJI for an explanation for this, this is not how a MM should perform!
2020-4-13
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

JJB* Posted at 4-13 23:13
Yes, IMO you should ask DJI for an explanation for this, this is not how a MM should perform!

I'm pretty sure he won't get anything because he ignored the "temperature too low, power errors may occur" warning
2020-4-14
Use props
SveinDJI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1273379 ft
Norway

Ice_2k Posted at 4-14 00:09
I'm pretty sure he won't get anything because he ignored the "temperature too low, power errors may occur" warning

Who knows.. I was flying my Mini right beside him, got no "wind" and no" temperature to low" warning. But i had like 50% battery, so no problem flying back.
2020-4-16
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

I think it's also strange that he didn't get any of the warnings that I did and even did not have any problems.

But today is the first time I have been out flying again after that, and with the new update I got no "strange" warnings.
2020-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules