Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 rtk + d-RTK2 base workflow. Z errors. Any suggestions?
3282 3 2020-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ian_riversci
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Everyone

Sorry this is a long message. I've tried to give as much detail as possible to help with replies.

I’m stuck and any assistance would be much appreciated! I’m processing Phantom 4 rtk data collected whilst connected to a d-RTK 2 DJI base station in Metashape Professional 1.6.2 and getting large z errors in one of my data sets and can’t work out why or how / if it can be solved. Ultimately I am going to export the DSM into ArcGIS to calculate volume of soil loss in the gulleys that are present across the bare earth fields using an ArcGIS toolbox.

My normal workflow is to install a ground marker for the base station, survey its location with Trimble R10 with real-time corrections via VRS. The Trimble was set to survey in OSGB OSTN15. I look at coordinates of the point on the Trimble, after converting them to WGS84 lat long in decimal degrees (for the P4 rtk controller). Set up d-RTK 2 base station over the known point just surveyed. Put out markers and survey in their location with the Trimble R10 (still set as OSGB OSTN15). Start up P4 rtk and controller and base station, input the known coordinates into the controller, but first adding 1.802m to the z value to account for the base station DJI pole and save (using the settings button), fly with rtk on and connected to the base for corrections. Fly the pre-programmed flight path using 2D and/or 3D photogrammetry options.

Add photos into Metashape including XMP data, align photos, use gradual selection to remove some of the noise in the data.  Check box in camera calibration to enable rolling shutter compensation. Export coords of markers from Trimble in WGS84 lat long decimal degrees csv file. Import markers into Metashape, filter photos on each marker, one at a time and drag flag into centre to locate. Check reference settings coordinate system is WGS84 (EPSG::4326). Camera accuracy set at 0.03m. Marker accuracy set at 0.01m. All markers and cameras are left ticked for the following step. Optimise cameras using adaptive camera model fitting. This normally gives v good accuracy, e.g see the first attachment.

But with the problem data set, collected on the same day as the one above, over bare earth fields, I’m getting much larger errors in the z field. See the 2nd attachment – errors in the x and y for the gcps about 2cm, but 35cm in the z. I flew this at 2 altitudes, one using the 2D option (nadir only) at a height of ~30m, the other over a smaller subsection of the field with gullies using the 3D option (oblique) at a height of ~25m. I’ve tried with both sets separately and one combined file as well (which has 2175 images). I get these errors with all options.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I might be able to improve the z value, sources of such large error or whether this will be as good as it gets with this data set I would be very grateful. I’m just scratching my head why this data set is so poor with the z values when I can get good results at other sites with the same workflow. Many thanks in advance.

z errors OK

z errors OK

z errors problematic

z errors problematic
2020-4-9
Use props
mbuonanno
lvl.4

Italy

Hi ian_riversci,

if the Z error is  0.35m the problem could be related with differences in the camera angle and flight pattern between the flights.

Generally Z errors of this order of magnitude can be observed when flying at heights above 40m AGL; they are due to poor calibration of the camera focal length (read the 'Accuracy and Precision of P4P RTK' thread). But it is not your case.

Moreover, low oblique aerial surveys and double grid mission patters usually give better results than single grid nadiral missions.

Unfortunately the possible sources of error can be many and it is quite difficult to say something without having a look at all the dataset.

Cheers,
Maurizio
2020-4-9
Use props
ian_riversci
lvl.1

United Kingdom

mbuonanno Posted at 4-9 13:13
Hi ian_riversci,

if the Z error is  0.35m the problem could be related with differences in the camera angle and flight pattern between the flights.

Many thanks for your reply Maurizio. It's a difficult on to explain and find the source of the error. I think I will process it like it is a non rtk data set and lower the accuracy of the cameras for processing.

2020-4-10
Use props
guillermomeiner
lvl.4

Argentina

I get the same error when i process oblique data
2020-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules