gimbal overload??
1012 14 2020-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bezik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 420646 ft
United Kingdom

starting to loose confidence in this little drone...set my alarm this morning for 5:30am to go out with the mini to try and catch a video of the sunrise, I sent the drone up and first noticed a strange jump on the video image as i was gaining altitude, I was in S mode to gain altitude quicker and thought this might of played a part in this odd jitter so reduced back down to P mode, after reaching the desired height i started to fly out over the field to get the desired shot ready for the sunrise when suddenly the video feed started shaking and I started recieving "GIMBAL OVERLOAD" warnings. First i had an uncommanded decent then i noticed my low light video and photographs had a strange green hue on the left of the images and now a gimbal overload??? the trifecta! all i need now is the ole props hitting the drone body and ive had them all i think

i didnt touch the gimbal control, all these eratic movements were caused by the error

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WWP7SPXTR7IXRFHKC46B/

Screenshot_20200412_061510_com.uavforecast.jpg
2020-4-11
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I am sorry to hear that @Bezik but I am wondering if you aren't pushing the envelope a little bit too much perhaps ?

I do remember when you complained about the green hue but I don't seem to notice in your very early dawn and dark video, and as you probably have seen I managed to exploit my MM low light capability very well despite probably being affected to the same extent as yours.

No uncommanded descent is recorded in the log so I can't help you on that one, seeing of it was just a normal drop for a strong wind variation or if was a really dangerous altitude drop tied to ESC problems.

The gimbal is a very sensitive apparatus of the Mavic Mini and many times I regretted having landed in places where I thought it might have been safe but instead it made cloud of dust. Since then I started hand-launching and hand-landing to avoid any risk contamination, both for the engines and the gimbal. Try blow it with compressed air, personally I've even tried to lube mine after good isopropyl alcohol spray... but I've never had any problem with it.

What I've noticed is that before installing the motor caps I blowed the motor coils and lubricated the spindles, after that procedure they tend to spin more freely by hand.
2020-4-11
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

yeah the uncommanded decent was a flight within the first week of owning the drone, was confirmed by jjb and was suspected to be caused by s mode. I always take off from the fly more box or hand launch and land and the green hue is clearly seen in the videos i provided on the thread about the issue and DJI responded and said a fix would be coming for this in the next firmware update. Ive only had the drone 3 weeks and have had no crashes and been exceptionally careful with it as would be expected with an expensive toy. Im still excited to fly drones as shown by the fact i set an alarm at 5.30am on easter sunday but im just wondering if a mavic pro 2 would be a better option.
2020-4-11
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I can see your point but I am also wondering if you're giving a little bit too much emphasis on issues that aren't really as such in my experience. If I am not mistaken it was you that tweaked one of my videos to expose a green tinge.

By the way if you went ahead to purchase the Mini it was probably because of it's size, compactness, simplicity, and no registration required... but if you're really in for an upgrade with better light gathering capability there's no need to get to the Pro as the Mavic Air still represents a good value , has a lot of high end features like active tracking, crash avoidance besides a better low light capability, still retaining much of the lightness and convenience of a small footprint drone like the MM.
2020-4-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear the issue with your drone, please confirm if it only appears when the aircraft is in Sport mode? Should there anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to let us know. Best regards.
2020-4-12
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 4-12 01:27
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear the issue with your drone, please confirm it only appears when the aircraft is in Sport mode? Should there anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to let us know. Best regards.

The gimbal error shown in this video happened when in p mode
2020-4-12
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Have You find out what caused the shaking? For example could the turbulent wind shake the whole aircraft?
2020-4-12
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

No the wind levels are shown in the screenshot I took at the time on uav forecasts app, very still weather, the actual drone wasn't moving it was the camera gimbal moving that caused the shaking
2020-4-12
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Have you tried Gimbal calibration? Mine wouldn't reset back to 0 and doing a calibration fixed it, should check Gimbal operation before and after you take off.
2020-4-12
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ABeardedItalian Posted at 4-12 04:34
Have you tried Gimbal calibration? Mine wouldn't reset back to 0 and doing a calibration fixed it, should check Gimbal operation before and after you take off.

I'll give that a go, I thought it does its own little test each time you turn the drone on? I honestly try not to touch the gimbal as it seems very fragile
2020-4-12
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Bezik Posted at 4-12 04:37
I'll give that a go, I thought it does its own little test each time you turn the drone on? I honestly try not to touch the gimbal as it seems very fragile

That's what I thought as well but that didn't reset my offset axis, it would still look crooked until I ran the calibration and it leveled things back out. The oddest part was the gimbal never moved during calibration and it fixed my issue....
2020-4-12
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I just fired up the mini and the gimbal was acting normal again, i ran the calibration anyway and i noticed it seemed to look left and right  slightly then completed the calibration, hopefully was a one off issue, just annoying that i actually set an alarm and got up early especially to catch the sunrise, ill have to try again another morning that wind is low.
2020-4-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Bezik Posted at 4-12 04:50
I just fired up the mini and the gimbal was acting normal again, i ran the calibration anyway and i noticed it seemed to look left and right  slightly then completed the calibration, hopefully was a one off issue, just annoying that i actually set an alarm and got up early especially to catch the sunrise, ill have to try again another morning that wind is low.

Hi Bezik, thanks for your update. If the issue still persists, you are recommended to send it in for a thorough diagnosis. Should there any further assistance needed, please feel free to let me know.
2020-4-13
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Bezik Posted at 4-12 04:50
I just fired up the mini and the gimbal was acting normal again, i ran the calibration anyway and i noticed it seemed to look left and right  slightly then completed the calibration, hopefully was a one off issue, just annoying that i actually set an alarm and got up early especially to catch the sunrise, ill have to try again another morning that wind is low.

So some sort of electronic glitch? I had gimbal stucked warning a few times but turning off and on again helped.
2020-4-13
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 4-13 01:45
So some sort of electronic glitch? I had gimbal stucked warning a few times but turning off and on again helped.

Yeah I did nothing to fix it so must of been a glitch, hopefully it was a one off
2020-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules