RC reconnect issue only video no other controls
522 10 2020-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

Hello, today i was able to widely test the RC disconnects. And this time i had only 1 phone restart at the end of the flight and numerous disconnects and reconnections before that. One thing i observed was that after i lost connection and drone initiated RTH the first thing that came back was video feed. Strangely enough this happened, but app still showed that Aircraft not connected to remote...however i was able to yaw, but could not take pictures nor i had video control. Also none of the flight data was available, battery, gps, flight mode etc... this continued for a minute or two until drone moved closer. So basically i had video feed and control, i could stop the RTH and control the drone, but the DJI Fly app was not counting that as a RC connected to aircraft?????  Anybody else observed this behaviour, is this normal? to me it seems quite an issue....

here is the video of the issue

2020-4-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi sbonev, sorry for the inconvenience. Could you please record a video so we can check the details of the issue? Thanks.
2020-4-13
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Switzerland

DJI Natalia Posted at 4-13 03:41
Hi sbonev, sorry for the inconvenience. Could you please record a video so we can check the details of the issue? Thanks.

i have tried to replicate it today, unfortunately i was not successful, most of the times i got a phone reboot...so no video at all. However i have an observation - yesterday i flew quite a distance, 600-700 m and all disconnects were somewhere around that distance, in comparison today i only got 200-300 m away. So i would guess it happens when you lose connection at a longer distance. Possible explanation is first you get the video feedback, why is that probably your dev team should say.

The other think that comes to mind is phone reboots happen when drone connection is lost at a closer instance... there is no other explanation of why sometimes losing connection causes a reboot of the phone and others no. From my observations, as much as i recall, reboots happened when drone lost connection at a range up to 200-300 m.  
2020-4-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

sbonev Posted at 4-13 06:01
i have tried to replicate it today, unfortunately i was not successful, most of the times i got a phone reboot...so no video at all. However i have an observation - yesterday i flew quite a distance, 600-700 m and all disconnects were somewhere around that distance, in comparison today i only got 200-300 m away. So i would guess it happens when you lose connection at a longer distance. Possible explanation is first you get the video feedback, why is that probably your dev team should say.

The other think that comes to mind is phone reboots happen when drone connection is lost at a closer instance... there is no other explanation of why sometimes losing connection causes a reboot of the phone and others no. From my observations, as much as i recall, reboots happened when drone lost connection at a range up to 200-300 m.

Hi, may we know the firmware version of your drone and the app version? The model and the OS of your mobile device?
Please download the latest DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic from DJI official web: https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/downloads, try to refresh the firmware to see if the issue persists or not.
If it is convenient, please show us a screenshot of the error in your DJI FLY app or record a video for better assistance. Thanks.
2020-4-14
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Switzerland

DJI Natalia Posted at 4-14 00:54
Hi, may we know the firmware version of your drone and the app version? The model and the OS of your mobile device?
Please download the latest DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic from DJI official web: https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/downloads, try to refresh the firmware to see if the issue persists or not.
If it is convenient, please show us a screenshot of the error in your DJI FLY app or record a video for better assistance. Thanks.

Samsung Note 8, Android 9. DJI Fly 1.0.8,  drone firmware v01. 00.0400.

i will try to record a video next time it happens. Unfortunately, as i already mentioned, it is difficult due to phone rebooting at times, when connection is lost, which is a DJI Fly app issue.
2020-4-14
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Switzerland

DJI Natalia Posted at 4-14 00:54

and here is the video of the issue. it happens definitely on larger distances! I had it at least 3 times, unfortunately the video was not saved due to phone crash on the 4th loss of connection!
As you can see in the video i have video feed and i am moving/yawing the drone with the RC sticks...nevertheless in the app says "aircraft not connected to RC"! This is for at least 10-20 or more seconds, depending on the distance. In the video is only small part due to me starting the recording with a bit of delay.

2020-4-15
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

In my case AC not connected with RC happened always with no video, meaning that the link was probably the root cause. After months of dealing with the issue they've finally delivered a new USB OTG cable to me, which of course I am unable to test because personal freedom has been abolished... like I am going to catch some corona spike from an asparagus in the wild.
2020-4-15
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Switzerland

m80116 Posted at 4-15 10:23
In my case AC not connected with RC happened always with no video, meaning that the link was probably the root cause. After months of dealing with the issue they've finally delivered a new USB OTG cable to me, which of course I am unable to test because personal freedom has been abolished... like I am going to catch some corona spike from an asparagus in the wild.

the real issue is the error is not correct, as there is connection, you can control the drone, cancel RTH... but you don't see any stats like battery, gps nor you can change flight mode...so in case there is a situation with high wind gusts for example and you want to switch to Sport mode you won't be able unless drone gets close to you...So this is purely DJI Fly issue... I am really surprised of the low quality and lack of any testing at all!!! every single issue the moderators ask for video to see it happening. It is like during development they didn't even bother to do proper testing prior the release of the mini...and the most annoying one being the phone restart on losing connection...
2020-4-15
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

In my case I have reason to believe otherwise.... not sure it is just USB link going corrupt but detaching and plugging back in the USB OTG cable solves the issue. Did you try ? I don't remember whether I already asked or not.

Anyway... I recall two other users with the same issue that I have, thus not very common at all. I don't attribute to lack of testing. Still, the Fly app notice is incorrect....
2020-4-15
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Switzerland

m80116 Posted at 4-15 12:58
In my case I have reason to believe otherwise.... not sure it is just USB link going corrupt but detaching and plugging back in the USB OTG cable solves the issue. Did you try ? I don't remember whether I already asked or not.

Anyway... I recall two other users with the same issue that I have, thus not very common at all. I don't attribute to lack of testing. Still, the Fly app notice is incorrect....

next time i will try the cable, in any case even if that fixes it, the issue is with the software be it the DJI Fly app or the drone firmware,  which seems less probable. For some reason the connection is established, but not acknowledged and when drone reaches a certain distance to the RC all starts working - definitely software bug.
And i think this is definitely due to lack of testing. That kind of bugs are found when testing the software and hardware. I cannot believe they performed testing and could not find any of those issues i have struggled with on almost every flight. In any big company the QA is one of the most important parts of the project lifecycle. That is when most refinements are done and is made sure product is meeting the requirements. When we are talking about such complex hardware and software projects, the most crucial part is the testing and making sure it is as extensive and thorough as possible is the bare minimum!
2020-4-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

sbonev Posted at 4-14 01:04
Samsung Note 8, Android 9. DJI Fly 1.0.8,  drone firmware v01. 00.0400.

i will try to record a video next time it happens. Unfortunately, as i already mentioned, it is difficult due to phone rebooting at times, when connection is lost, which is a DJI Fly app issue.

Hi sbonev, thanks for providing the information. I have forwarded this situation to the related team for a check, if there is an update, I'll let you know.
2020-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules