Don't know if this is still working ...
12Next >
10459 47 2020-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sevreNniarB
lvl.3
Germany

I've had a great time with the S1, but now it's time to move on. I'm not leaving without a little present for this great community - attached you will find the instruction how to root the S1 (I really don't know if this is still working, have not touched the thing for a couple of weeks now).

How to Root - Robomaster S1.pdf (247.8 KB, Down times: 400)
2020-4-15
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
Brazil

The cat is out of the bag but it also means that DJI will most likely simply plug the hole on the next firmware/app revision.
2020-4-15
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
Brazil

BGA Posted at 4-15 05:57
The cat is out of the bag but it also means that DJI will most likely simply plug the hole on the next firmware/app revision.

Anyway, if anyone wants to play with the SDK on the S1, after getting a root shell on the device you can simply do:

touch /data/SDK_ENABLE

Then turn the robot off an on again.

The SDK should be enabled. Obviously the EP specific stuff (distance sensors, arm control, etc) will not work.

This all assuming that it still works how it worked on the previous firmware version. I did not try in the most recent one.
2020-4-15
Use props
Mauronic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 163038 ft
United States

Can you DM me on Twitter? @mauronic

I wanted to ask you something and I don't know how to message someone on this form
2020-4-17
Use props
si3n4
lvl.2
Canada

Thx! But seems not working for the current firmware. Rm_log is gone.
2020-4-20
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
Brazil

si3n4 Posted at 4-20 11:40
Thx! But seems not working for the current firmware. Rm_log is gone.

Well, rm_log was just the one being used. There might be others that would give the same backdoor. Unfortunately, I can not test right now.
2020-4-21
Use props
si3n4
lvl.2
Canada

BGA Posted at 4-21 03:59
Well, rm_log was just the one being used. There might be others that would give the same backdoor. Unfortunately, I can not test right now.

You are right. There are some other good functions. I was able to get a shell using 'Random' - who knows what it is. Then I tried your SDK_ENABLE way. Maybe I did something wrong, it did create a SDK_ENABLE file in data folder, but all SDK connection methods in the EP guide failed - connection always refused. I also turned off and on RM and it didn't help. Could you offer more suggestions? Thx.
2020-4-22
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
Brazil

si3n4 Posted at 4-22 19:53
You are right. There are some other good functions. I was able to get a shell using 'Random' - who knows what it is. Then I tried your SDK_ENABLE way. Maybe I did something wrong, it did create a SDK_ENABLE file in data folder, but all SDK connection methods in the EP guide failed - connection always refused. I also turned off and on RM and it didn't help. Could you offer more suggestions? Thx.

The last time I tried it was with the previous firmware, not the current one. It is possible that they completely removed the SDK support from the latest firmware as they want to screw Robomaster S1 owners as much as possible it seems.

In any case, at some point next week I will be able to take another look at this to see what is going on. It is possible that it is just a matter of the method to enable the SDK on the S1 having changed.
2020-4-23
Use props
si3n4
lvl.2
Canada

BGA Posted at 4-23 04:22
The last time I tried it was with the previous firmware, not the current one. It is possible that they completely removed the SDK support from the latest firmware as they want to screw Robomaster S1 owners as much as possible it seems.

In any case, at some point next week I will be able to take another look at this to see what is going on. It is possible that it is just a matter of the method to enable the SDK on the S1 having changed.

Thx! Finger crossed.

Agree, we S1 owners are exes to DJI. If there were flights to China, I would have been there for EP.
2020-4-23
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

Bad news, good news, bad news, and some more good news.

- The published method for rooting the S1 does not work anymore as it is.
- But I was still able to root it in a slightly different way.
- The SDK_ENABLED file method for enabling the SDK does not work on the S1 anymore.
- I did find a different way to enable it but I was not able to test it yet.

Next step will be confirming things will work as expected. I will keep you posted. So far, it looks promising (the SDK is still there in the S1).
2020-4-30
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

BGA Posted at 4-30 15:00
Bad news, good news, bad news, and some more good news.

- The published method for rooting the S1 does not work anymore as it is.

And some more bad news...

It appears that the file that has the SDK support is not present in the S1 anymore. It could potentially be extracted out of an EP though so I wonder if any of you has an EP and would be willing to help with this...
2020-4-30
Use props
si3n4
lvl.2
Canada

BGA Posted at 4-30 15:15
And some more bad news...

It appears that the file that has the SDK support is not present in the S1 anymore. It could potentially be extracted out of an EP though so I wonder if any of you has an EP and would be willing to help with this...

Thx for all your efforts!

About EP, what I know is that even in China, you have to submit a purchase request online then some local representatives will contact you to confirm the order. Then transaction is done through WeChat not official store. Not sure if EP stock is limited, but in this way I see very little chance it will be available in overseas stores.
2020-5-1
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

si3n4 Posted at 5-1 14:43

About EP, what I know is that even in China, you have to submit a purchase request online then some local representatives will contact you to confirm the order. Then transaction is done through WeChat not official store. Not sure if EP stock is limited, but in this way I see very little chance it will be available in overseas stores.

All I need is someone that already has an EP to follow some instructions and extract some files from it. I do n ot need to buy one.
2020-5-1
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

si3n4 Posted at 5-1 14:43

About EP, what I know is that even in China, you have to submit a purchase request online then some local representatives will contact you to confirm the order. Then transaction is done through WeChat not official store. Not sure if EP stock is limited, but in this way I see very little chance it will be available in overseas stores.

If you really want to, and willing to pay a premium, you can get it from banggood.com ... for $1899.00

PS. Last time I checked (about 2-3 weeks ago), it was 'only' $900.00. It seems banggood realizes not many people sell it overseas, and they're willing to 'capitalize' on that.

https://www.banggood.com/DJI-Rob ... mp;cur_warehouse=CN
2020-5-2
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

If one is to proceed with the instructions provided by the OP, is the original firmware somehow affected? ... If so, how to revert ?
2020-5-2
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

JB63 Posted at 5-2 09:46
If one is to proceed with the instructions provided by the OP, is the original firmware somehow affected? ... If so, how to revert ?

Not at all. There will be no changes to the EP. You will just copy some files out of it.
2020-5-4
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

BGA Posted at 5-4 08:51
Not at all. There will be no changes to the EP. You will just copy some files out of it.

Also, just to clarify: The EP will need to be rooted, but the rooting process is also a software thing only and is ephemeral (meaning that if you reboot the EP or even simply close the Robomaster app, it will revert to being non-rooted with no trace that it was ever rooted).
2020-5-4
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you, that's reassuring. Now, you mentioned EP in your reply ... does that also apply to the earlier S1 ?
2020-5-6
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

JB63 Posted at 5-6 19:50
Thank you, that's reassuring. Now, you mentioned EP in your reply ... does that also apply to the earlier S1 ?

That would be plan B, but I still have one S1 with an early firmware exactly due to this.

This would be more complicated though as it is obvious there was some considerable refactoring going one between the SDK version in the older S1 firmware and the one referenced in the new S1 (and present in the EP).
2020-5-7
Use props
fansee7da191
lvl.1
Sweden

Hi, as new user I can't download the file, can somebody send/post another link? thanks.
2020-10-27
Use props
AlexSteiner
lvl.1
Austria

If I run i got this error: rm_log is not defined what does that mean?
PS I can't connect the S1 to the PC with the micro USB
Cattura.JPG
2020-12-30
Use props
AlexSteiner
lvl.1
Austria

fansee7da191 Posted at 10-27 02:41
Hi, as new user I can't download the file, can somebody send/post another link? thanks.

Here is the link for the pdf:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gp5lxSfTj8doxa3PEZEOeQ5wyfg_LjVZ/view?usp=sharing
2020-12-30
Use props
Marvin
lvl.1
Austria

AlexSteiner Posted at 2020-12-30 08:16
If I run i got this error: rm_log is not defined what does that mean?
PS I can't connect the S1 to the PC with the micro USB

just tested (Jan 2, 2021) the instructions described here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... EOeQ5wyfg_LjVZ/view

App-Version 1.1.5 on Windows
Robomaster S1 Bios Version : 00.06.0500

replace the word
rm_log
with
random

wafter adb.exe shell enter
touch /data/SDK_ENABLE

that should work.
Regarding the micro USB - dont use the connector on the main controller (sensors/motors) use the one above at the wifi...
2021-1-2
Use props
AlexSteiner
lvl.1
San Marino

Marvin@Galaxy Posted at 1-2 07:56
just tested (Jan 2, 2021) the instructions described here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... EOeQ5wyfg_LjVZ/view

App-Version 1.1.5 on Windows

Thank you i try it now
2021-1-5
Use props
AlexSteiner
lvl.1
San Marino

App-Version 1.1.5 on Windows

I' ve got this error:
2021-1-5
Use props
AlexSteiner
lvl.1
San Marino

it seems that he  can't find the device
Annotation 2021-01-05 125533.png
2021-1-5
Use props
fans69702dfb
New
Flight distance : 309777 ft
Thailand

AlexSteiner Posted at 1-5 03:43
it seems that he  can't find the device

Same issue....
2021-1-7
Use props
AlexSteiner
lvl.1
San Marino

do you solved it?
2021-1-10
Use props
Incgognitoxyz
New
Flight distance : 309777 ft
Thailand

no not really still not finding the device change 4 cables still nothing it did find a device when i plugged in my old phone
2021-1-11
Use props
fans02bd05fd
lvl.2
Greece

So after these steps on  v 00.06.0500 did you manage to get the SDK enabled on the S1 ?
If yes do you mind sharing a simple python code that connects successfully for you ?
2021-2-3
Use props
jf92
lvl.1

Germany

I can confirm that this is still working. But setting the SDK Flag has no effect on the current firmware. So an Downgrade mechanism would be nice here.
2021-2-16
Use props
JohnieBraaf
lvl.2
Netherlands

I think I have found a way to downgrade, let me know if you need detailsB.t.w. you don't need to downgrade in order to roll your own SDK, just not sure that you can get the video feed working because that is enabled in compiled binaries.
2021-3-12
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

JohnieBraaf Posted at 3-12 02:32
I think I have found a way to downgrade, let me know if you need detailsB.t.w. you don't need to downgrade in order to roll your own SDK, just not sure that you can get the video feed working because that is enabled in compiled binaries.

You can get everything to work: https://www.bug-br.org.br/s1_sdk_hack.zip

(In fact I just fixed getting the video streaming to work with the new binary mode protocol).

But yes, you do not really need to downgrade (currently) to do anything. The hack above works with the most recent S1 firmware.

2021-3-12
Use props
JohnieBraaf
lvl.2
Netherlands

BGA Posted at 3-12 10:38

(In fact I just fixed getting the video streaming to work with the new binary mode protocol).

Nice, thanks for sharing!
2021-3-15
Use props
Joao Santos3
New

Portugal

BGA Posted at 3-12 10:38

Hi
can you please tell me if this still work?

Thank you
2021-11-4
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

Joao Santos3 Posted at 11-4 02:51
Hi
can you please tell me if this still work?

It should.
2021-11-4
Use props
AlexSteiner
lvl.1

it doesn't find the device...
2021-11-21
Use props
AlexSteiner
lvl.1

i download your hack and i root the s1 but when i restart it the sdk don't work
2021-11-21
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

AlexSteiner Posted at 11-21 07:07
i download your hack and i root the s1 but when i restart it the sdk don't work

I can only guess you did something wrong. Without more information it is impossible for me to help. What exactly did you do, step by step. And how did you test if the SDK worked or not?
2021-11-22
Use props
djiuser_VpXk6cGgzClu
lvl.1

New Zealand

I went through the steps above, replacing rm_log with random, adb cannot find the device.
2021-11-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules