Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Any new update on OTG with Spark?
7440 20 2020-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HauptmanTopkek
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hey guys,

I'm trying to wrap my head on this topic, because I might reach insanity pretty soon.

My story:
I own a Google Pixel XL and I recently purchased a DJI Spark for which I've found that the wifi connection between the RC and phone is extremely sketchy and unreliable, so I feel like I can't fully enjoy the drone to its full potential because of this. I wanted to use an OTG cable to fix the problem. I think I spent around 40 pounds on cables up until this point. It just doesn't work.
Looking at all the threads and tutorials, I can see that they're all outdated since 2018, when people used to fix the problem one way or another.
I've tried everything.
- USB C to micro USB - charges the RC using the phone battery
- USB C to female USB dongle + USB male to micro USB cable - charges the RC using the phone battery
- USB C to female USB cable + USB male to micro USB cable - charges the RC using the phone battery
- Switching the USB debugging on in developer settings - charges the RC using the phone battery
- Installing an older version of DJI 4 (as suggested two years ago, to install version 4.15) - in this case, the app displays the landing screen and then crashes

Is there something I'm missing? Is anyone else facing this problem now in 2020? I just don't understand why you'd remove a perfectly reliable method of connection and hardcode the wifi usage.

Help, pls!

2020-4-16
Use props
Sparky_Man367
lvl.3
Flight distance : 895751 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just buy a remote, I had same issue until I did.
2020-4-16
Use props
HauptmanTopkek
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Sparky_Man367 Posted at 4-16 05:55
Just buy a remote, I had same issue until I did.

Wait, you have my attention. What remote are you using?
Cuz I'm using the normal RC I got in the package along with the drone.
2020-4-16
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

I bought this cable in march 2019, the Host end plugs into the controller. It works flawlessly.
2020-4-17
Use props
Haggi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

jyc Posted at 4-17 03:09
I bought this cable in march 2019, the Host end plugs into the controller. It works flawlessly.

This is the correct answer.
An OTG cable is directional, will only work if used the correct "way".
About the charging, please ignore the message, it's a part of Android Pie (9) and above.

Good luck!
2020-4-17
Use props
HauptmanTopkek
lvl.1

United Kingdom

jyc Posted at 4-17 03:09

Thanks. Will try this.
I can see that this is micro USB to micro USB.
I'll have to see if I can find something similar, but micro USB to type C.
2020-4-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, the Remote Controller Firmware: V 01.00.0600 has added compatibility to use an OTG cable to connect the Spark remote controller with an Android mobile device.
You may check the release notes from DJI official web:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6orderby%3Ddateline

Hope this can help you, thanks.
2020-4-17
Use props
HauptmanTopkek
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I did it, guys.
I got this and this .
In case anyone else has confusions in the future and has an USB-C type phone, follow these steps:
- Get the two cables linked here (or something similar but from other brands)
- Start RC and aircraft, wait for them to pair
- Connect USB-C to USB male cable to the phone
- Connect microUSB to USB female to the RC
- Connect the two cables together USB male end with USB female end
Works perfectly.

Thanks for your time guys!
2020-4-17
Use props
HauptmanTopkek
lvl.1

United Kingdom

HauptmanTopkek Posted at 4-17 04:48
I did it, guys.
I got this and this .
In case anyone else has confusions in the future and has an USB-C type phone, follow these steps:

Sorry, links didn't work for some reason.
Cables here:
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B085D8DMQN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LN3LQKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020-4-17
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

HauptmanTopkek Posted at 4-17 04:48
I did it, guys.
I got this and this .

Great! Using an OTG cable is the way to go. The Spark is still an amazing aircraft, I just ordered two more batteries for mine.
2020-4-18
Use props
P2VOG
lvl.1

United States

Yeah, it's all about the OTG cable. I had never heard of one till I got my used Spark, and it did not come with an OTG.  I just got mine, for my ios device, and almost tripled my range. Make sure you put your device in airplane mode. Now that you have the cable working, shutting down all radio interference from the phone/tablet is possible, and will help.
2020-4-18
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

jyc Posted at 4-18 03:50
Great! Using an OTG cable is the way to go. The Spark is still an amazing aircraft, I just ordered two more batteries for mine.

It would be wonderful ... But due to the fault of the weak compass, many people lost it forever ...
Mine started the infamous hoppy Spark problem ("nyut-nyut" problem) last year and then landed unexpectedly on one of the flights and I couldn’t stop it. He landed in an unfit place in the yard of a foreign house and smashed 3 pairs of rotors. I haven't trusted him since. I bought a Parrot Anafi. and I realized that it is better in almost everything than the Spark and only slightly more expensive ...
2020-4-19
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 4-19 11:17
It would be wonderful ... But due to the fault of the weak compass, many people lost it forever ...
Mine started the infamous hoppy Spark problem ("nyut-nyut" problem) last year and then landed unexpectedly on one of the flights and I couldn’t stop it. He landed in an unfit place in the yard of a foreign house and smashed 3 pairs of rotors. I haven't trusted him since. I bought a Parrot Anafi. and I realized that it is better in almost everything than the Spark and only slightly more expensive ...

I guess I'm lucky!
2020-4-20
Use props
Austy3
lvl.1
Canada

Hi all,

Good to hear you got it working! I bought a usb-c to micro USB cable to connect my Samsung Galaxy S10e to my Spark remote.  When connected, the notification says: Inspire connected (its thinking my Spark is an Inspire?)

When I press ok, it connects to DJI Go 4 and seems to be running with no problems, however my phone seems to be charging off the remote.

After researching it seems androids do charge when plugged into DJI remotes so I'm guessing this is normal? I was also told by DJI that the S10e may not be compatible, but it seems to be working ok.

I've had the same issue, all posts about the Spark seem to be from 2 years ago! Would be great if someone could confirm if everything that's happening with my set up is normal, and if not, how to fix it.
2020-6-15
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You need a USB micro to USB-C! Direction matters, USB OTG is directional. Yours seem to be USB-C to .....!
And this "however my phone seems to be charging off the remote." is the sign for the right direction of the cable,.
Your Phone is the "USB-Stick, here, the RC the host.

And for others, who still searching:
The Bay   micro to USB C

2020-6-15
Use props
Austy3
lvl.1
Canada

S-e-ven Posted at 6-15 11:02
You need a USB micro to USB-C! Direction matters, USB OTG is directional. Yours seem to be USB-C to .....!
And this "however my phone seems to be charging off the remote." is the sign for the right direction of the cable,.
Your Phone is the "USB-Stick, here, the RC the host.

Yes that cable you provided in a link is the same one I have. USB Micro to USB Type C.

Okay so sounds like the phone being charged by the remote is normal.  

Thanks for the information!
2020-6-15
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Austy3 Posted at 6-15 12:05
Yes that cable you provided in a link is the same one I have. USB Micro to USB Type C.

Okay so sounds like the phone being charged by the remote is normal.  

The USB-otg standard on Android "tells" the host, to provide power for the accessory. In our case the phone is the accessory. On iOS it can be switched off, in USB - C on android, too
2020-6-15
Use props
Austy3
lvl.1
Canada

S-e-ven Posted at 6-15 12:21
The USB-otg standard on Android "tells" the host, to provide power for the accessory. In our case the phone is the accessory. On iOS it can be switched off, in USB - C on android, too

So on Android with usb c, can you stop it from charging? It doesnt give me an option to stop charging with my galaxy s10e
2020-6-15
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Since the Spark remote is STILL just a micro USB otg and just your other end is a USB-C plug, but the connection is not a USB-C in total: NO!
Ask google, why that can't be switched off, they don't allow it on android connections

On the Air 2, USB-C OUT at the remote, you can decide not to /to  charge your phone.
As you assumingly know: Your USB-C phone can, if you want, charge other phones
That is b/c your phone is the USB-C host!

2020-6-15
Use props
Austy3
lvl.1
Canada

S-e-ven Posted at 6-15 19:27
Since the Spark remote is STILL just a micro USB otg and just your other end is a USB-C plug, but the connection is not a USB-C in total: NO!
Ask google, why that can't be switched off, they don't allow it on android connections

Great thanks so much for explaining this to me! I was having a hard time figuring it out.

Glad to hear that's normal and i can use my otg with my Spark wothout worries. I'm hoping to get a few more years out of my spark before upgrading.

Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated!
2020-6-16
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

2020-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules