Pre-sales query - Can the Osmo Action be used as a webcam ?
1168 8 2020-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi all - I can see some previous posts regarding this topic, but I don't see whether this functionality was ever implemented so am posting a new query regarding this.
I am looking to purchase an Osmo Action, however the ability to use the camera as a webcam is important to me as I don't want to have to purchase two devices - can DJI confirm if :

1) This functionality is currently available or will be added in a future firmware update ?
2) Please let me know from the dev team whether this is actually possible and whether it will be implemented.

Many thanks in advance.
2020-4-16
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

No DJI does not do Webcam today maybe in the future it will.
2020-4-16
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 4-16 06:55
No DJI does not do Webcam today maybe in the future it will.

Hi Fishycomics - thanks for replying.

I'm aware that it isn't able to do this at the moment, but was hoping for an official reply from DJI as to whether this will be supported in the future and if so a date - otherwise I will have to look at another product.
2020-4-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi edwardquan, Osmo Action is not a webcam, it is just a camera used to take pictures/videos, sorry for any inconvenience caused. We do not have any related information whether there is a possibility to support webcam, please note the future release, thank you.
2020-4-16
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-16 20:20
Hi edwardquan, Osmo Action is not a webcam, first, the battery life is limited, a fully charged battery can support video recording at 1080P/30fps for up to 135 minutes (with RockSteady turned off), and 4K/60fps for up to 63 minutes (with RockSteady turned on), it will auto power off without any recording. Second, the WI-FI distance can only reach 40m maximum without any interference.
It is just a camera used to take pictures/videos, sorry for any inconvenience caused. We do not have any related information whether there is a possibility to support webcam, please note the future release, thank you.

Hi DJI Mindy - thank you for replying and for the additional information.

To address your points in turn - in terms of the battery length, this would be sufficient for webcam usage - it is unlikely any Skype meeting etc would last that long ! and although I am not sure if the Osmo action's battery can be charged whilst in the device, but if so then the recording time could be extended accordingly ? Similarly the limitations regarding WiFi wouldn't be an issue as my scenario for using this is as a webcam on my desktop PC for work meetings etc while working from home - not to use it outside as a webcam (although I suppose this would also be possible if the functionality was available).

In terms of the device automatically switching off if there is no recording, I presume this could be changed with a firmware update ?

My query stems from the fact that I would prefer not to have to purchase 2x separate devices and there are similar action cameras on the market which are able to perform as a webcam, but my preference is to purchase a DJI device rather than any other hence my query.  If the firmware can't/won't be updated for the DJI Osmo Action then I would appreciate if you could ask for this functionality to be added to any future device which supersedes the Osmo Action.

Many thanks
2020-4-17
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

It is funny how they say what they said:

Why then add Livestream, and why have the Bluetooth  in an On state all the time,   as it searches for the Mimo App, that would be  set to off until a User decides to switch on not the camera.  As a Webcam its an option that we  have had since the 90's in a 5-n-1 camera. in many Hybrid cameras,  awesome  feature was MP3, another was a PMP (portable media player).   If you want to use the OA as a Webcam it can be done with other devices and software outside of DJI,  th cost would be, more then the device itself or  simply more then a  webcam alone.

DJI  can they add the firmware and rewrite it, will they, no.

Please pass this along to your Team then simply saying  what was said.
2020-4-17
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 4-17 02:56
It is funny how they say what they said:

Why then add Livestream, and why have the Bluetooth  in an On state all the time,   as it searches for the Mimo App, that would be  set to off until a User decides to switch on not the camera.  As a Webcam its an option that we  have had since the 90's in a 5-n-1 camera. in many Hybrid cameras,  awesome  feature was MP3, another was a PMP (portable media player).   If you want to use the OA as a Webcam it can be done with other devices and software outside of DJI,  th cost would be, more then the device itself or  simply more then a  webcam alone.

Hi Fishycomics - there is at least another manufacturer of action cams that has the webcam functionality.
2020-4-17
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

then by all means that may be your route  if webcam is the importance.

youtube shows its possible with  OA
2020-4-17
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 4-17 05:06
then by all means that may be your route  if webcam is the importance.

youtube shows its possible with  OA

I'd like to purchase a DJI device and not any other competitor - willing to wait for a new device as there's no urgency from my side - or if the Action will be updated then I would purchase one now
2020-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules