MavicAir 2 is not smartcontroller compatible...why?
1234Next >
13699 120 2020-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DG Boiler
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39938 ft
United States

KlooGee Posted at 6-5 14:44
Can someone provide the link or a screenshot of where DJI had given a timeline for when they would release the firmware to make the Smart Controller compatible with the MA2?  It would be HIGHLY unusual for DJI to make a forward looking statement on the future release availability like that.  From the moment the MA2 release happened on their website, their FAQ said exactly what was quoted by KouroT in post #31.   

The only time I personally have seen DJI provide a date like that was for the Mavic Mini to enable the ability to unlock authorization zones.  They ended up meeting the exact timeline they had communicated, but did so not even 1 day earlier than was communicated.

Hey buddy. Do u have any insight on this issue?  Seems nuts to me after the FAQ comment by DJI.
2020-6-12
Use props
DG Boiler
lvl.2
United States

KlooGee Posted at 6-5 14:44
Can someone provide the link or a screenshot of where DJI had given a timeline for when they would release the firmware to make the Smart Controller compatible with the MA2?  It would be HIGHLY unusual for DJI to make a forward looking statement on the future release availability like that.  From the moment the MA2 release happened on their website, their FAQ said exactly what was quoted by KouroT in post #31.   

The only time I personally have seen DJI provide a date like that was for the Mavic Mini to enable the ability to unlock authorization zones.  They ended up meeting the exact timeline they had communicated, but did so not even 1 day earlier than was communicated.
Is this what you are looking for Kloogee?

Not a date but truly a statement of intentions.

Would hold up in any Court Internationally.

F7CC64DD-67EB-4A09-AB1E-23C48EC77A9E.png
2020-6-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DG Boiler Posted at 6-12 04:57

I think he is looking for a statement from DJI with the official timeline for the future firmware release date in which the SC will be compatible. There isn't one but I'm sure it will happen, eventually.
2020-6-12
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634505 ft
  • >>>
United States

DG Boiler Posted at 6-12 04:41
You say it very well my friend!

Thanks!
2020-6-12
Use props
DG Boiler
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 6-12 05:02
I think he is looking for a statement from DJI with the official timeline for the future firmware release date in which the SC will be compatible. There isn't one but I'm sure it will happen, eventually.

I wish I had the same degree of confidence that you have.
2020-6-12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DG Boiler Posted at 6-12 15:35
I wish I had the same degree of confidence that you have.

Hahahaha - perhaps I'm overly confident but then again, I don't have the SC. I have considered it but definitely holding back until the update
2020-6-12
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

DG Boiler Posted at 6-12 04:57

No, I already referenced that FAQ statement in my original comment that you replied to. As mentioned, several people had said that DJI had quoted a specific timeline in which they would release that firmware update.  I was asking for a link or screenshot that noted this timeline people were suggesting DJI had put out and had failed to meet.  
2020-6-12
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-12 05:02

Yes, that is exactly what I was saying.  People were vaguely trying to reference a timeline that I don’t think DJI ever actually mentioned.  I was looking for a specific verifiable reference of the timeline.  I had already made mention of the FAQ item in my original comment.
2020-6-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KlooGee Posted at 6-12 19:53
Yes, that is exactly what I was saying.  People were vaguely trying to reference a timeline that I don’t think DJI ever actually mentioned.  I was looking for a specific verifiable reference of the timeline.  I had already made mention of the FAQ item in my original comment.

I don’t think DJI ever actually mentioned.
All that DJI ever advised was what you've seen in the FAQ.

I was looking for a specific verifiable reference of the timeline.
The source for the rumour was this guy (at 44 seconds).

So a guy that wouldn't know, says that he talked to an unidentified DJI source who told him ...

2020-6-12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 6-12 19:53

Thought so, officially there isn't one other than there will be.
2020-6-12
Use props
makasii
lvl.1
Flight distance : 90646 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

the official answer I just get by chat from DJI support: it's coming... developers seems to be still working on it.
2020-6-16
Use props
DG Boiler
lvl.2
United States

makasii Posted at 6-16 08:05
the official answer I just get by chat from DJI support: it's coming... developers seems to be still working on it.

Hehe. Don’t suppose you got a name from that DJI chat guy...
2020-6-16
Use props
pro-cess
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54098 ft
Germany

makasii Posted at 6-16 08:05
the official answer I just get by chat from DJI support: it's coming... developers seems to be still working on it.

I got the same answer on 5 - 28 from german DJI support.

They are still working on it...
...but SC will be compatible with air 2
2020-6-16
Use props
DG Boiler
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 6-12 15:40
Hahahaha - perhaps I'm overly confident but then again, I don't have the SC. I have considered it but definitely holding back until the update
Yeah. I don’t have it yet either but do have the new MA2.  I really would spend the $ if I knew for certain the compatibility was there.

Seems so odd to me that they would commit to the compatibility on their FAQ section of the DJI site and then go radio silent now months later.
2020-6-17
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DG Boiler Posted at 6-17 04:52
Yeah. I don’t have it yet either but do have the new MA2.  I really would spend the $ if I knew for certain the compatibility was there.

Seems so odd to me that they would commit to the compatibility on their FAQ section of the DJI site and then go radio silent now months later.

It’s only been six weeks since the MA2 was released and it’s in DJI’s financial interest to make it compatible to enhance sales of the SC - so I’m sure it will be released in due course but is taking longer than I thought too.
2020-6-17
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DG Boiler Posted at 6-17 04:52

Seems so odd to me that they would commit to the compatibility on their FAQ section of the DJI site and then go radio silent now months later.

If you think this timeline and radio silence is odd, you should have seen the radio silence and months  (and months and months) of time that went by after they did a public beta for the SC to be compatible with the P4Pv2!  DJI aren't really known for communication on future releases.  
2020-6-18
Use props
DG Boiler
lvl.2
United States

KlooGee Posted at 6-18 13:11
If you think this timeline and radio silence is odd, you should have seen the radio silence and months  (and months and months) of time that went by after they did a public beta for the SC to be compatible with the P4Pv2!  DJI aren't really known for communication on future releases.

And yet we keep giving them our money. Speaks to the need for real competition.  Textbook 101 Biz school kind of stuff. Sadly.
2020-6-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DG Boiler Posted at 6-20 13:43
And yet we keep giving them our money. Speaks to the need for real competition.  Textbook 101 Biz school kind of stuff. Sadly.

Lots of money has been spent trying to compete with DJI.  Unfortunately, nobody has been able to come even close so far.
2020-6-21
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

They’ll come thru eventually.  I just bought a smart controller.  I have confidence it’ll happen, in the meantime (helmet) I’ll enjoy it with the M2P while I wait for the Air2.
2020-6-21
Use props
DG Boiler
lvl.2
United States

KlooGee Posted at 6-21 07:08
Lots of money has been spent trying to compete with DJI.  Unfortunately, nobody has been able to come even close so far.

DJI sure seems to keep consistent responses here that it’s coming at some point. At least that seems somewhat encouraging.  Still not enuff for me to order one tho. I will continue to use this huge new controller with yet a huge iPhone on top of it.  Seems so stupid here in 2020.
2020-6-23
Use props
djiuser_yWhKaoM2wSMG
lvl.4
France

I wonder why so much delay as I suppose (maybe I am wrong) the Mavic Air 2 shares the same electronics as he's older brothers.
2020-6-23
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DG Boiler Posted at 6-23 07:31
DJI sure seems to keep consistent responses here that it’s coming at some point. At least that seems somewhat encouraging.  Still not enuff for me to order one tho. I will continue to use this huge new controller with yet a huge iPhone on top of it.  Seems so stupid here in 2020.

I personally like the new MA2 controller much better than the old Mavic style controller.  I always hated the phone screen being below the controller instead of above it.  It never made ergonomic sense to have it below.  If DJI agreed with that theory and decided its better to have the screen above, then having the larger body for the controller makes sense (at least in my mind).  Otherwise you would just have the empty foldable wings down below.  Then that becomes a balance issue.  If you've ever flown with an Autel Evo controller, you will know what I mean.  All of the weight of the Evo's controller and the phone/tablet is far above the center point of the controller and thus makes it kind of awkward in the hand.

From my perspective, if you are okay with the size of the Smart Controller and carrying it around, then the size of the smaller regular controller shouldn't be much of an issue, right?  Lol!

No worries though, I know everybody has their differing thoughts on what they like.  Its what makes the world an interesting place.  Having said that, DJI, please get the new Smart Controller firmware out to us very soon.  We really want to use it with the Mavic Air 2.
2020-6-23
Use props
LeeG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169281 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-4 05:09
Hi there, sorry for any misunderstanding, for Mavic Air 2, it will be compatible with the Smart Controller through a future firmware update.

I bought it on a marketing promise. Does DJI have a buy-back policy for cases such as this?

I think because it was all so new we all thought  "a future software release" probably meant "the next software release".  But really, the exact works DJI said make it more tenuous than that.  Especially in light of the official DJI channels of recent. It sounds a  lot like, maybe somewhere down the line after a bunch of other software  projects for products I don't have it might get done. I think with the  MA2 release it downgraded the priority of SC support for DJI. I was took  in as well. I've asked DJI for more specificity. I also asked if they  will have a buy back option for SC for MA2 owners. I can wait a few  months, but they are not giving any hint at all as to even a possible  release date. In "developer speak" that really says to me they are not  even working on it now, and it could simple be on a long list that could  change as new hardware is released. I suspect DJI is understaffed for  software developers, but not engineers. I love the MA2, but I hate the  controller arrangement. I've tried to set up a tablet for Fly, but I got  a higher end Samsung the other day for it, and found it is a 32-bit OS,  so no Fly on my tablet either. It would be so easy for DJI to turn out a  32-bit ARM version of Fly. I write Android software, I know it is  simply a build option. But they don't want to even try to test or  support it. Sounds like a team who can't keep up, and has lost hope.  Getting there myself.

2020-6-23
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

LeeG Posted at 6-23 18:05
I bought it on a marketing promise. Does DJI have a buy-back policy for cases such as this?

I think because it was all so new we all thought  "a future software release" probably meant "the next software release".  But really, the exact works DJI said make it more tenuous than that.  Especially in light of the official DJI channels of recent. It sounds a  lot like, maybe somewhere down the line after a bunch of other software  projects for products I don't have it might get done. I think with the  MA2 release it downgraded the priority of SC support for DJI. I was took  in as well. I've asked DJI for more specificity. I also asked if they  will have a buy back option for SC for MA2 owners. I can wait a few  months, but they are not giving any hint at all as to even a possible  release date. In "developer speak" that really says to me they are not  even working on it now, and it could simple be on a long list that could  change as new hardware is released. I suspect DJI is understaffed for  software developers, but not engineers. I love the MA2, but I hate the  controller arrangement. I've tried to set up a tablet for Fly, but I got  a higher end Samsung the other day for it, and found it is a 32-bit OS,  so no Fly on my tablet either. It would be so easy for DJI to turn out a  32-bit ARM version of Fly. I write Android software, I know it is  simply a build option. But they don't want to even try to test or  support it. Sounds like a team who can't keep up, and has lost hope.  Getting there myself.

Hi,
Recently, they ( DJI) laid off their American teams and replaced then with Chinese ones.
Check out this article:
Game of Drone

It may give some clarity, also there's a rumor for a Mavic 3....

2020-6-24
Use props
LeeG
lvl.3
United States

ET214 Posted at 6-24 09:25
Hi,
Recently, they ( DJI) laid off their American teams and replaced then with Chinese ones.
Check out this article

Sounds interesting. Unable to follow your link.
2020-6-24
Use props
LeeG
lvl.3
United States

LeeG Posted at 6-24 19:21

Had to copy and paste the link, and it worked. Clicking the hyperlink took me to a start page.

I had no idea any of this was going on. There was clearly no cut back in promotion and marketing. I suppose I am a bit more sympathetic to the people I am look at to get some timely upgrades out. You just never know where the other man's shoes have traveled.
2020-6-24
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

LeeG Posted at 6-24 19:21

Hi
I revised it and adjusted the link. It should work, but here it is again.
Game of Drones

You have a gracious  spirit to see things in that way.

2020-6-25
Use props
DG Boiler
lvl.2
United States

KlooGee Posted at 6-23 16:49
I personally like the new MA2 controller much better than the old Mavic style controller.  I always hated the phone screen being below the controller instead of above it.  It never made ergonomic sense to have it below.  If DJI agreed with that theory and decided its better to have the screen above, then having the larger body for the controller makes sense (at least in my mind).  Otherwise you would just have the empty foldable wings down below.  Then that becomes a balance issue.  If you've ever flown with an Autel Evo controller, you will know what I mean.  All of the weight of the Evo's controller and the phone/tablet is far above the center point of the controller and thus makes it kind of awkward in the hand.

From my perspective, if you are okay with the size of the Smart Controller and carrying it around, then the size of the smaller regular controller shouldn't be much of an issue, right?  Lol!

But the real issue is tying up your phone and all the buttons getting pressed and charging etc. that’s why I want the SC for my MA2. The size is the size.
2020-6-25
Use props
djiuser_yWhKaoM2wSMG
lvl.4
France

DG Boiler Posted at 6-25 13:16
But the real issue is tying up your phone and all the buttons getting pressed and charging etc. that’s why I want the SC for my MA2. The size is the size.

also the SC has a much brighter screen than phones which is helpful on sunny days
2020-6-29
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

I sold my phantom3  and everything I had for it to buy a new drone.  I was thinking about the Mavic aur2  but DJI GEO FEncihg and the fact that it won’t work with the remote stopped me,

The geo fencing is already out of control.  I can’t imagine what will happen once Amazon/FAA  starts implementing their remote ID  BS..   Twice in the last month Donald Trump cancelled his plans to come to his golf course in NJ  , but DJI geo fencing kept us grounded all weekend.  Worse yet if you are within overlapping circles of TFR  YOU CAN NOT UNLOck.

So you can’t use the product you spent thousands on ..  no response from dji

Evo 2  is my next purchase.
2020-6-29
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4
United States

Guys, we on the Crystal Sky side of things have been fighting with DJI on this point for years now. They give the sane BS answers all the time when we were told that the Crystal Sky would work with all their drones. Don't hold your breath. They are not a good company with really lousy customer support. Your right to go with someone else. The only thing you will get from DJI is the same canned responses "So sorry, our engineers are working on it, we will get back to you" and they never get back to you. I wish you guys luck for sure
2020-7-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

jazzyjeff Posted at 7-2 18:49
Guys, we on the Crystal Sky side of things have been fighting with DJI on this point for years now. They give the sane BS answers all the time when we were told that the Crystal Sky would work with all their drones. Don't hold your breath. They are not a good company with really lousy customer support. Your right to go with someone else. The only thing you will get from DJI is the same canned responses "So sorry, our engineers are working on it, we will get back to you" and they never get back to you. I wish you guys luck for sure

yep, maybe one should instead go out and buy the autel evo 2, that way you can choose between the Orangesky  (instead of Crystalsky) or the Live Controller Deck (instead of Smart Controller) or the Goggles Robotics Edition (instead of Goggles Racing Edition)....oh, wait.....

j/k I have the evo 2 pro, it's a lovely drone.
2020-7-2
Use props
djiuser_yWhKaoM2wSMG
lvl.4
France

I came on this piece of information on another forum explainging some things :
DJI Fly (the Air 2’s app) requires a 64-bit version of Android OS. I believe that the build on the Smart Controller is currently 32-bit.

The Smart Controller is fully 64-bit capable (unlike the CrystalSky which is not) - it has a 64-bit CPU. Just needs the OS rebuilt for 64-bitness.

2020-7-8
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

Thank you for buying your Mavic Air 2 and Smart Controller we have made enough money out of you now and will not be delivering on our earlier promise.
2020-7-10
Use props
MauroT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16041247 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I think it was a mistake to announce that the SC would be compatible with the MavicAir2. It is (SC) a product difficult to modify, composed of a system (android 7 32bit) that with one or more running applications goes iin crisis. Some bugs (flickering, gray screen (occasionally) have not yet been resolved, an update to host the DJI Fly app in my opinion would introduce new problems at the expense of DJI Go 4. Better not add more, patience. I just hope it will be compatible right away when the mavic pro 3 comes out...if not patience, we hope for a new smart controller 3 maybe with a 2000 nits screen.
2020-7-11
Use props
donovansevillanohotmail.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6342037 ft
  • >>>
Spain

First of all notice that I use google translator:

Dji europe has told me that the update is scheduled for August 17.

there are more very important updates.
DJI SMART CONTROLLER

It will be compatible with the Litchi APP. a third party application to make waypoints etc.

The update is working to optimize the battery so that it lasts 30% longer in the controller.

17% more brightness on the screen.

And officially support DJI GOOGLE STORE

Also as in the case of its older brother, the range of the mavic air 2 and the dji smart controller will be improved.

They are going to use the WiFi signal from the DJI SMART CONTRLLER to connect to the mavic mini. When using a standard Wi-Fi signal it will only have a range of 30 meters.

And many of the options and buttons of the dji smart controller will not be compatible with the mavic mini due to its limitations. But this is already a big step

They also say that this update is for both the smart controller and the dji mavic air 2. both must be updated.

After this update in Europe, it will be mandatory to have the drone registration activated so that other users can see and locate the drone from their smart phone.

All of this is scheduled for August 17.
2020-8-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

^since this is the 3rd time you mentioned it, care to tell us who at dji Europe told you this information? ;)
2020-8-1
Use props
MauroT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16041247 ft
  • >>>
Italy

donovansevillanohotmail.com Posted at 8-1 09:18
First of all notice that I use google translator:

Dji europe has told me that the update is scheduled for August 17.

I seriously doubt we'll have these features on the 17th, I think... none.
2020-8-2
Use props
Flymoretime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6342037 ft
  • >>>
Spain

It was just a joke ... I wanted to give you hope that you are not sad.
You are expecting this company to treat you like people and to treat you well. but you forget that this is DJI.

ALL COMPANIES FAIL, THERE IS NO COMPANY THAT IS 100% PERFECT.

but DJI with its treatment makes record of the bad treatment to its clients.

I've been buying DJI drones for a long time. And I can say that I have already bought my first evo 6k pro.

I'm going to miss the people on the forum, but not dji. Hahaha
here you stay ... slaves to dji's silence.

but rest assured, the competition this year and especially the next one will make dji see the ears of the wolf. but it will be too late for many like me ... we are tired of this company and its customer service.

bye slaves
2020-8-3
Use props
DG Boiler
lvl.2
United States

Droneflier Posted at 7-10 09:39
Thank you for buying your Mavic Air 2 and Smart Controller we have made enough money out of you now and will not be delivering on our earlier promise.

Hahaha. Perfect!
2020-8-7
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules