DJI OSMO Mobile 3 - Bitrate (vs. Filmic Pro for iOS)
3340 5 2020-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MarcellusP
lvl.1

Italy

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in buying the OSMO Mobile 3, in order to stabilize my iPhone XS.
I'm very fond of videomaking, so it could be my starting point. Then in the future I will upgrade to more professional gear if I have the possibility.

Since I'd like to obtain the maximum quality out of my iPhone, I ask you if you checked the bitrate of the videos taken with the DJI app. Is there an option to set it?
I heard that it tends to be way lower compared to the standard Camera app in iOS.
Leaving numbers aside for a moment, how's the quality of shots taken with the DJI app?

Is there a good flat profile included? I'd really love to keep all possible details of the image.

I've also read a lot about Filmic Pro which should guarantee bitrate up to 100-130 Mbps. Is it fully compatible with the osmo mobile 3?
I guess that some cool features like ActiveTrack 3.0 would not be available, right? Will it only do basic stabilization?

Thanks a lot for your consideration and your help!

Marcello
2020-4-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I don't see any reference to the bitrate in the mimo videos on youtube.
There is a video quality option for the osmo pocket, but I'm not sure if the OM3 version also has that.
Filmic Pro does not support the OM3 yet, but it will record perfectly fine (you only don't get the buttons to work).
I have bothe Filmic Pro and Movie Pro for iOS. Great apps.
Used them with my Osmo Mobile 1 a lot.
The first one is more 'pro' than the second, but the second is more easy and also less heavy on the battery.
2020-4-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, 3rd party apps won't have those features. They are built in the DJI app.
So unless the 3rd party developer will make it themselves they won't have those cool features and you are 'stuck' with the DJI app.
2020-4-21
Use props
MarcellusP
lvl.1

Italy

Montfrooij Posted at 4-21 23:06
I don't see any reference to the bitrate in the mimo videos on youtube.
There is a video quality option for the osmo pocket, but I'm not sure if the OM3 version also has that.
Filmic Pro does not support the OM3 yet, but it will record perfectly fine (you only don't get the buttons to work).

Hi Montfrooij, thanks a lot for your kind reply!

If you're interested, I was told by DJI that the bitrate is about 17 mbps which is not that high.
I shot a test video (4K 60 fps) with the Camera app and the average bitrate was about 35 mbps, so definitely higher.
I asked them what was the reason for this choice but they haven't replied yet...
I also suggested that they could let the user choose the desidered bitrate in the options; seems a good idea to me.

I'll check Movie Pro, thank again.

Have a good day!

2020-4-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MarcellusP Posted at 4-24 03:24
Hi Montfrooij, thanks a lot for your kind reply!

If you're interested, I was told by DJI that the bitrate is about 17 mbps which is not that high.

Thanks for the reply!
Interesting info!
2020-4-24
Use props
djiuser_JHaZ5SK3QZVE
New

United Kingdom

You don't HAVE to use the mimo app to shoot video. If what you're after is to stabilise your shooting the Osmo mobile works really well without running the app. You do have to isntall the app, just don't launch it.

You'll lose out on things like gesture control and active track. Also you wont have access to the zoom button or the orientation flip control, but the  joystick works fine for pan and tilt and most importantly the stabilisation is rock steady.

2020-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules