Water issues, went Snorkeling and Osmo Action screens...Died!
4144 8 2020-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bruno_Soto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 116854 ft
Netherlands

It was a 20/30 minutes snorkelling dive in Hawaii, when I got home(wash with tap water and dried the OA) i could see water inside the battery and the sd card compartment!!! Ive beein using GoPro's for long time and never had an issue with water inside, this is extremely disappointing because i take really good care of my gadgets and i always take the time (my Mavic air, GoPros, and now OA) to have it secure and properly close all the ports or batteries by clicking and no red to be seen. Next day the back screen went off and OS had moisture in the lenses plus in the front screen. After reading a few reviews, inclusive in DJI forum I've realised this it is a commom issue and I dont know what DJI is doing about it( offer an underwater case would be a smart move.. or do a recall duo to water issues failure, nevertheless something needs to be done). Even if there was no complains this is not normal to happen is such an action camera, name says it all Osmo ACTION, My Samsung went deeper under water and is NO Osmo ACTION and nothing happened to the phone. Please have this problem fixed.

2020-4-22
Use props
BoozaWooza
lvl.4
United Kingdom

There is a waterproof case available from the website. Better safe than sorry
2020-4-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Bruno_Soto, we regret to know your Osmo Action was water-damaged. Osmo Action is certainly waterproof, but there are some tips you need pay attention to.
1. Ensure there is nothing on the battery or inside the battery compartment, the battery is properly inserted, and both battery release buttons are grey with neither orange tab showing.
2. Check that the USB-C cover is properly closed.
3. Ensure that the lens filter cap is intact and properly attached; replace it with a new one if it is damaged.
4. Osmo Action is waterproof at depths of up to 11 meters. When using it with a waterproof case, it is waterproof at depths as far down as 60 meters.
5. Do not jump into water with Osmo Action.

If the camera is severely damaged, it is recommended to contact DJI After-Sales service www.dji.com/support to start a ticket and send in for the evaluation. The warranty service will be provided if it is evaluated as a product issue when the device is still under warranty period. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2020-4-22
Use props
Bruno_Soto
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-22 19:15
Hi Bruno_Soto, we regret to know your Osmo Action was water-damaged. Osmo Action is certainly waterproof, but there are some tips you need pay attention to.
1. Ensure there is nothing on the battery or inside the battery compartment, the battery is properly inserted, and both battery release buttons are grey with neither orange tab showing.
2. Check that the USB-C cover is properly closed.

Like ive mentioned and you as well, all the steps were followed, im extremely careful with my gear, honestly and im 100% sure that due to design flaw and/or material this camera is not waterfproof like you mention, for that reason  there is several people complaining in the internet about this
2020-4-22
Use props
ebswift
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10299 ft
Australia

The only water damaged ones known to us are those reported here, and it seems just a handful out of all the units.  I took mine snorkelling several times no problem (), I also checked the front lens protector was really tight.  Most are reported tight from factory, but can't discount some other problem.  When was your unit bought, there is some suggestion here models made later last year might potentially be differently manufactured?
2020-4-23
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

The only thing of mine i have ever tested for its waterproof properties was my TAG watch which i lowered down to 120 M deep on a fishing trip.
But my OA camera - flashlights and what have you that claim to be waterproof too, well i would not put those under water unless they was in a waterproof housing.

I will take my chance with my OA being splash proof, so if i am filming and it start to rain i will finish my recording for sure.

TBH the battery seal dont worry me though it could be better, but the seal on the USB plug and memory card i have no faith in what so ever.
I have also somewhere in here said how this is one of the things that need to be changed for the OA 2.0, and the pretty small hard to get to O rings that seal the lens they could do with getting beefed up too.

To be honest it is probably only a minority of us that register in here, or use this as a channel for complaint / venting / RMA, most people will probably go via the dji web site or their local seller like i would.
Only Dji know the extend of the problem with water getting into their cameras, and even if the number is low they should make a follow up camera better on this, as it should be fairly easy to do and can be done better without hiring in 5 rocket scientists.

I think i have also said that if the next OA camera bacame 1/3 bigger to acccomodate updates, for me that would not be a problem at all, and i think its the same for most other users.

2020-4-23
Use props
Bruno_Soto
lvl.1
Netherlands

ebswift Posted at 4-23 05:01
The only water damaged ones known to us are those reported here, and it seems just a handful out of all the units.  I took mine snorkelling several times no problem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVZ39_N7z2U), I also checked the front lens protector was really tight.  Most are reported tight from factory, but can't discount some other problem.  When was your unit bought, there is some suggestion here models made later last year might potentially be differently manufactured?

It was bought late November in 2019...
2020-4-23
Use props
Bruno_Soto
lvl.1
Netherlands

peiter Posted at 4-23 05:08
The only thing of mine i have ever tested for its waterproof properties was my TAG watch which i lowered down to 120 M deep on a fishing trip.
But my OA camera - flashlights and what have you that claim to be waterproof too, well i would not put those under water unless they was in a waterproof housing.

Yeah, I will be making a claim in my local dealer, but currently living in the Czech Republic and they have the worst customer service ever.  if that doest work i will be sending it to DJI by post. honestly speaking that sealing to be waterproof like you mentioned is a big question mark???? , hope they fix it or give me a new one, for sure i will be using a waterproof case next time. "losing the camera" and only camera together with my dorne in the middle of vacations is not good
2020-4-23
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I have always preferred the industrial approach to things, meaning overkill.
So the flimsy lid on the memory card slot dont do it for me.

TBH i would prefer if the camera just had 1 place to open it, and that holding both the removable battery and memory card, and the opening was a very sturdy one, something that would make the camera waterproof to the same levels as with a housing.
And as i have said before the battery i would like to be a 18650 battery, this can easy be done within a shape that are less than 1/3 larger than the current cameras.
And to be honest it have been a long time since i have said " i wish the action cameras was smaller" and i cant say i have seen / heard anyone else say that either.

For me the focus are on image quality, and recording options, and camera integrity under physical stress.
Other might also have technical things like streaming on the list, and that's okay too, but for me i would never do that, not even in a not so remote future where you could theoretically stream quality 8K footage just fine.
2020-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules