How effective is the aftermarket antenna upgrade"?
9532 16 2020-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 132119 ft
Malaysia

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I am just a button away from odering my first ever drone. And it will be Mavic Mini CE version.

It has been a dillema in this order. I really like the size and portability of the Mini. Honestly speaking, I am excited but at the same time worry about the stability of the signal. I have friend whom upgrade from DJI Spark to DJI Mavic Mini complaining about her signal lost which happens at much lower rate when she was using DJI Spark. I would like to know your experience on this.

Also, I've seen aftermarket antenna like 4Hawks, Antcool, ARGtek, ALFA, Alientek and etc that are supposed to improve the stability and reliability of the wifi signal between the controller and the drone. Anyone here can enlighten me on this topic?

How effective are they?

Thanks in advance.

Timz
2020-4-23
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

I don't have direct experience with the MM, but I did mess with antennas a lot, with the P3S. I actually bought an extra remote off eBay, just to play with different options and configurations.  I can tell you this: unless you're really focused on long-distance flights, I recommend against modding the RC. Yes, you will get a better range, especially with panel antennas (I had the ALFAs), but it's not going to be twice as good. I know in CE mode the MM is a bit limited, but on a recent trip to Europe I was able to go 5000ft (1.5km) in a low-interference area. That's a LOT, for such a tiny drone!
On the downside, you will have voided your warranty (on the RC, at least), you will end up with a heavier/bulkier setup, and you will need to constantly aim the RC at the AC, as this increased range comes at the expense of a narrow  beam.
If you really want to go that route, I suggest you get 2 sets of antenna: long distance (panel) and all-around (omnis). For most flights, you will end up with the omnis because of flexibility/compactness.
2020-4-23
Use props
timz
lvl.2
Malaysia

120ccpm Posted at 4-23 12:56
I don't have direct experience with the MM, but I did mess with antennas a lot, with the P3S. I actually bought an extra remote off eBay, just to play with different options and configurations.  I can tell you this: unless you're really focused on long-distance flights, I recommend against modding the RC. Yes, you will get a better range, especially with panel antennas (I had the ALFAs), but it's not going to be twice as good. I know in CE mode the MM is a bit limited, but on a recent trip to Europe I was able to go 5000ft (1.5km) in a low-interference area. That's a LOT, for such a tiny drone!
On the downside, you will have voided your warranty (on the RC, at least), you will end up with a heavier/bulkier setup, and you will need to constantly aim the RC at the AC, as this increased range comes at the expense of a narrow  beam.
If you really want to go that route, I suggest you get 2 sets of antenna: long distance (panel) and all-around (omnis). For most flights, you will end up with the omnis because of flexibility/compactness.

Thanks alot for your feedback. Appreciate it. Nowadays, some of the manufacturer like ARGtek comes with dual antenna.

Their Omnis are much thicker and longer than the originals.

I'm still worried about the signal lost ppl have been complaining. Which they say is worse than the Spark
2020-4-23
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

Was the spark made before stricter EU limits?
2020-4-23
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Get yourself a pair of reflectors and another of passive Yadi-Uda repeaters, they work and they don't disrupt the packing experience as much as a dedicated antenna.
2020-4-23
Use props
timz
lvl.2
Malaysia

Deucalion Posted at 4-23 13:34
Was the spark made before stricter EU limits?

Spark was launched April 2017. I don't know much about EU regulation.
2020-4-23
Use props
timz
lvl.2
Malaysia

m80116 Posted at 4-23 13:44
Get yourself a pair of reflectors and another of passive Yadi-Uda repeaters, they work and they don't disrupt the packing experience as much as a dedicated antenna.

Is this what U meant by Yadi-Uda repeater??? Any metal inside? If there isn't, I can 3D print it.
Signal-Booster-font-b-Yagi-b-font-Uda-font-b-Antenna-b-font-Range-Extender-For.jpg
2020-4-23
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You void your warranty using those aftermarket antenna. They aren't easy to install either. You literally have to pull apart the controller to get them in. Then the controller is no longer portable which I think is stupid. The range difference is negligible you don't hear about anyone going extreme distances with them or anything.

All you need is the slip on parabolic antenna. I have some. They are cheap and easy to use and work. I have them more for peace of mind than anything else. I was filming at the beach and it was quite a distance away (over 1.5km) and I got a few low signal warnings then the black screen. I put the extenders on and the screen came back. They do work. I have no experience on the Yagi-Uda repeaters but perhaps you can find something on YouTube about them.
2020-4-23
Use props
timz
lvl.2
Malaysia

Actually I am used to dismentling and assembling electronics and casing. But if there is a simpler way, I will of course allow myself to have more options.

Do you mean this parabolic add on??
50c53108040d81dc391802c5156a0a21.jpeg
2020-4-23
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

timz Posted at 4-23 14:43
Actually I am used to dismentling and assembling electronics and casing. But if there is a simpler way, I will of course allow myself to have more options.

Do you mean this parabolic add on??

Yep. It's not just the dismantling though, you void your warranty and your remote becomes a pain to transport for minimal if any difference in range. They are also very expensive.
2020-4-23
Use props
timz
lvl.2
Malaysia

deathsquad Posted at 4-23 14:51
Yep. It's not just the dismantling though, you void your warranty and your remote becomes a pain to transport for minimal if any difference in range. They are also very expensive.

ok. i just heard too many complains on the CE version on the range and interference.

Thanks.
2020-4-23
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Yes on both. Yagi-Uda adapters have a metal core, and a specific width on that one that works with the spacing for the frequency you choose.
2020-4-23
Use props
timz
lvl.2
Malaysia

m80116 Posted at 4-23 16:22
Yes on both. Yagi-Uda adapters have a metal core, and a specific width on that one that works with the spacing for the frequency you choose.

Would you be kind enough to give me the rods length and the 3d file? Appreciate.
2020-4-23
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

I drop you two file previews of the project.

The file I have locally is called Mavic+Mini+Yagi+antenna+adapter+booster.zip and I don't remember if it is the original filename, it occurs to be on the Mavic Pilots forum.

Yagi-Uda 5.8 GHz

Yagi-Uda 5.8 GHz

Yagi-Uda 2.4 GHz

Yagi-Uda 2.4 GHz

If you need more help drop me a line in PM.

2020-4-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

When I started flying first these were recommended as they had just come on the market, and yes I tried them using Phantom 3, I felt they improved my distance and came to depend on them, until I joined up with some other guys flying together, I used they didn’t , so one used them 3 didn’t, so we tested in all areas rural densely populated in fact everywhere and never not once did my P3 get more distance signal.
Those Omni drop on “boosters” are nothing but a placebo they don’t work, what works is positioning antennas correctly and correctly pointing at craft. A complete waste of money nothing else. But once you start using them you will find it strange to stop but it’s all in your head.
2020-4-24
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

m80116 Posted at 4-24 14:09
I drop you two file previews of the project.

The file I have locally is called Mavic+Mini+Yagi+antenna+adapter+booster.zip and I don't remember if it is the original filename, it occurs to be on the Mavic Pilots forum.

I remember you talking about this type of range extenders in another forum... looks like a good solution. Do you have any data to show how well they perform? Same day, same location (possibly remote, with no Wi-Fi interference), max distance stock RC vs. max distance with the Yagis?

I had mixed results with the parabolic reflector on my P3S, I've seen people claiming it was the best thing ever, but I probably got a 10-20% increase over stock, at most. Have you tried those as well?
2020-4-24
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

120ccpm Posted at 4-24 14:32
I remember you talking about this type of range extenders in another forum... looks like a good solution. Do you have any data to show how well they perform? Same day, same location (possibly remote, with no Wi-Fi interference), max distance stock RC vs. max distance with the Yagis?

I had mixed results with the parabolic reflector on my P3S, I've seen people claiming it was the best thing ever, but I probably got a 10-20% increase over stock, at most. Have you tried those as well?

No, I haven't tried them nor I plan to atm.

In the MP forums there is one user that tried them recently (current month). I was following that thread. I'll drop you a line if I happen to find it again.
Parabolic reflectors yes about 20% gain might be right, or even 30% and hopefully it isn't wishful thinking.
2020-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules