MOTOR SPEED ERROR AFTER 04/2020 FIRMWARE
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wee.minidrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151220 ft
United States

is "refreshing" the Firmware update via DJI Assistant 2 enough? or do I need to first downgrade, and then upgrade again?
2020-4-28
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Hi,

For what it worth, I upgraded my MM and remote from Dji Assistant from the beginning (don't know why this time I decided to upgrade this way) and I had no issue until now related to propeller or motor. I did not fly a lot but even with wind, no problem at all.
2020-4-28
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Did a little test. Propellers paired with different play (1 mm with 4 mm, back left). On ground, one propeller can be raised 3 mm higher until it stops in play.
The result of the hover inside is astounding, both propellers run on one level. The contact pressure caused by the centrifugal forces can play a role here, I can't say how the whole thing looks at S outside (rain). S-mode inside no error message.

IMG_0343.JPG
2020-4-29
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45459 ft
United Kingdom

So with all the usual cross chatter have users come to a conclusion as to what exactly is causing this speed error?

i havnt had my mini out for a flight since the update but rest assured it was flying fine before it was updated, so if it starts to throw out errors then its the software/firmware not the props!

Whats DJI,s official standpoint on the error? or is it >> its not our fault ! nothing to do with us?
2020-4-29
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 4-29 00:30
So with all the usual cross chatter have users come to a conclusion as to what exactly is causing this speed error?

i havnt had my mini out for a flight since the update but rest assured it was flying fine before it was updated, so if it starts to throw out errors then its the software/firmware not the props!

Assuming you mean after you rule out a faulty FW update by using DJI Assistant. A couple users have dug into their DAT files and indeed, the RPM on the indicated motor (prop) is high compared to the others. And when they replace the prop, the rpm goes back to normal. If yours was flying fine before the update and the update was successful and complete, then you probably will have no issue.

Unfortunately, DJI has given almost no explanation.
2020-4-29
Use props
djiuser_X4rXCZXsvxzg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4110699 ft
Slovenia

Just to add some of my thought about all the things around props.

Right before the new FW came out, I noticed "not enough force" warning during the one of the flights - let me add, that if you're a beginner in drones as I am, it is very easy to overlook those warnings. Landed immediatley and uploaded all of my flight to Airdata to see, if there were some warnings before that flight (up to that point I had about 5 hours of flying). Fortunatley that was the only flight with warnings (4 of them, noticed just 1) so I did another test flight at low altitude with very low wind, where there were no further warnings. Well, that didn't make me worry any less so I bought new props (all 8 of them, as I only now realized that there are only 4 spare props that came with MM). Just checking the markings on the old and new props, I realized that they don't "match" so I decided to go and change them all. Just as I took the old props off and compared them with the new ones, I noticed that, if you put them next to each other (on the flat surface, pressing the both axis) the curvature of the old props was flattened. This is not seen with a naked eye, but only with direct comparison. I know there was a picture of that kind of comparison somewhere on the forum, to bad I didn't took a photo myself.

I went further, because I wanted to find out what made props flat. About two months ago, I bought a bag for MM as I didn't buy the Fly more combo. The bag has foam inside, with holes made for RC, AC and extra batteries, all fits nice and tight. But as I came to find out, the back props were pressing on the foam, which was seen as a dent in a foam. There is no way to put MM inside the bag in the way that props wouldn't be presured. SInce then I have not yet find the proper way to store MM as I wish, but this 3-D printed stand looks perfect.

To me, it seems obvious that flat props can't give you enough lift. As to the ones that are asking, why uncommanded descends  and/or motor warnings came in the middle of the flight - at the start of the flight we usually all have full batteries, and when voltages come down and with addition of slight differences in wind conditions, "wild" things can happen with Mini, as it is so light. I will still be cautious in observing as how the Mini behaves, analyze all the data I can and consider all the warnings I get. I hope it will be enough to keep me out of any trouble.

stand

stand
2020-4-29
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

Fortunately, almost all of us bought the fly more combo and store the drone in the case that came with it, and have had no issues. It is perfect for throwing the drone and its accessories into a car and taking off at a moment's notice.
2020-4-29
Use props
Thalisbl
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_X4rXCZXsvxzg Posted at 4-29 03:42

Right before the new FW came out, I noticed "not enough force" warning during the one of the flights - let me add, that if you're a beginner in drones as I am, it is very easy to overlook those warnings. Landed immediatley and uploaded all of my flight to Airdata to see, if there were some warnings before that flight (up to that point I had about 5 hours of flying). Fortunatley that was the only flight with warnings (4 of them, noticed just 1) so I did another test flight at low altitude with very low wind, where there were no further warnings. Well, that didn't make me worry any less so I bought new props (all 8 of them, as I only now realized that there are only 4 spare props that came with MM). Just checking the markings on the old and new props, I realized that they don't "match" so I decided to go and change them all. Just as I took the old props off and compared them with the new ones, I noticed that, if you put them next to each other (on the flat surface, pressing the both axis) the curvature of the old props was flattened. This is not seen with a naked eye, but only with direct comparison. I know there was a picture of that kind of comparison somewhere on the forum, to bad I didn't took a photo myself.

I love the stand :-)
2020-4-29
Use props
djiuser_TjI5XkhuciMo
New

United Kingdom

Had the same proplem with actually brand new drone after update. Happened twice and after secon drone restart I have done around 60min flight and no error so far.
2020-4-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

djiuser_X4rXCZXsvxzg Posted at 4-29 03:42

Right before the new FW came out, I noticed "not enough force" warning during the one of the flights - let me add, that if you're a beginner in drones as I am, it is very easy to overlook those warnings. Landed immediatley and uploaded all of my flight to Airdata to see, if there were some warnings before that flight (up to that point I had about 5 hours of flying). Fortunatley that was the only flight with warnings (4 of them, noticed just 1) so I did another test flight at low altitude with very low wind, where there were no further warnings. Well, that didn't make me worry any less so I bought new props (all 8 of them, as I only now realized that there are only 4 spare props that came with MM). Just checking the markings on the old and new props, I realized that they don't "match" so I decided to go and change them all. Just as I took the old props off and compared them with the new ones, I noticed that, if you put them next to each other (on the flat surface, pressing the both axis) the curvature of the old props was flattened. This is not seen with a naked eye, but only with direct comparison. I know there was a picture of that kind of comparison somewhere on the forum, to bad I didn't took a photo myself.

Thank you for your very interesting and qualifying experience.

It really adds up to the discussion.

I think you could position a bump inside the case, like the original Fly More combo uses. That sits on the the belly of the Mavic Mini. The only thing you should be mindful after that is the props, they shouldn't fall out of the crossed position they show. For that personally I use soft cable ties and they work a treat for me.

Happy landings!
2020-4-29
Use props
zeb_
lvl.3
Germany

So to summarise:
  • all of those who reported the issue have done this after the latest FW .500 upgrade, suggesting it is related to software - could be DJI having changed tolerances/limit values at which an error is thrown with this FW and therefore a lot of users are now warnedy
  • some have reported the problem after flashing on brand new models, or on a replacement. This should rule out prop problem unless a "bad" batch has been produced
  • some have reported to fix the problem by changing the props, therefore confirming the hypothesis of prop wear (when used or during storage) or again a bad batch
  • some have reported they "fixed" the problem by reflashing using cable: could be again some parameter values/table/file not being correctly updated wirelessly
  • some have reported they got the error 1st flight after flashing and then no error anymore after the 2nd flight.

This could be a combination of many things, such as new more stringent tolerances and some (factory) defect in props, hence explaining why all people who report it have the issue after flashing new FW. But this still would not explain why you can fix the problem by reflashing using a cable, or why for some it is sometimes magically fixed after the 2nd test flight...
2020-4-29
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

zeb_ Posted at 4-29 05:51
So to summarise:
  • all of those who reported the issue have done this after the latest FW .500 upgrade, suggesting it is related to software - could be DJI having changed tolerances/limit values at which an error is thrown with this FW and therefore a lot of users are now warnedy

• For me there is also a question about how normal it is for the rear left motor to consistently spin faster than the others even with no errors showing. That's how mine seems to have been from the factory and I think I have seen at least one other report of the same.

I have logged a ticket with DJI so will report back if they tell me anything.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    Deucalion
    lvl.4
    United States

zeb_ Posted at 4-29 05:51
    So to summarise:

• I realize you came in late to the party, but this issue has been going on for months. A handful of users had uncommanded descents and it was found that the props were the issue. Some users had brand new drones. This FW update was actually to address this and warn the user now, rather than crashing the drone. But many users had issues getting the FW update to work successfully. Fortunately, we figured out that using DJI Assistant would get the update to work properly and most then had no errors. The few who still did then replaced their props and were good to go.

The FW update does bring a lot of value and you should really update. If, after you get it updated successfully, you get prop warnings, then change the props.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    120ccpm
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 1396755 ft
    United States

itchyeyeballs Posted at 4-29 05:58
    For me there is also a question about how normal it is for the rear left motor to consistently spin faster than the others even with no errors showing. That's how mine seems to have been from the factory and I think I have seen at least one other report of the same.

I have logged a ticket with DJI so will report back if they tell me anything.

There is more weight on the rear, and the motors have to work harder, and that's why they are more likely to throw a Motor Error. Can't say why more on the left one, though.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    zeb_
    lvl.3
    Germany

Deucalion Posted at 4-29 06:10
    I realize you came in late to the party, but this issue has been going on for months. A handful of users had uncommanded descents and it was found that the props were the issue. Some users had brand new drones. This FW update was actually to address this and warn the user now, rather than crashing the drone. But many users had issues getting the FW update to work successfully. Fortunately, we figured out that using DJI Assistant would get the update to work properly and most then had no errors. The few who still did then replaced their props and were good to go.

The FW update does bring a lot of value and you should really update. If, after you get it updated successfully, you get prop warnings, then change the props.

That's a good point. Well my MM is on the way and I came here to prepare myself when I found out these reports. I suppose that the main hypothesis is that the new FW has more stringent tolerance when it comes to raise an alarm. The fact this happens in brand new MMs is a bit of a concern. I will return with my own findings when I am ready to fly
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    Deucalion
    lvl.4
    United States

zeb_ Posted at 4-29 07:00
    That's a good point. Well my MM is on the way and I came here to prepare myself when I found out these reports. I suppose that the main hypothesis is that the new FW has more stringent tolerance when it comes to raise an alarm. The fact this happens in brand new MMs is a bit of a concern. I will return with my own findings when I am ready to fly

Enjoy. Keep in mind that the vast majority of us are still flying on our original propellers. I was a little worried when I first joined, but I soon realized it was pretty rare, and now, after the new FW, we seem to have a handle on it.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    dutch937
    lvl.3
    Flight distance : 322461 ft
    Canada

I had the same error. Replaced 2 blades and the error message went away. But, they were new blades that i replaced, so it makes no sense. Just another DJI bug with a firmware update.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    jonny007
    Second Officer
    Germany

For me, it's definitely a guarantee case. But would probably not be worth the effort.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    Occams Razor
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 488196 ft
    United States

120ccpm Posted at 4-29 06:56
    There is more weight on the rear, and the motors have to work harder, and that's why they are more likely to throw a Motor Error. Can't say why more on the left one, though.

Interestingly, if you follow the directions on the FlyMore case, I believe the left props are folded under the right ones for the rear motors.  This will put more pressure and greater flex on the left props if the props overlap with the hump in the case.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    HedgeTrimmer
    First Officer
    United States

120ccpm Posted at 4-29 06:56
    There is more weight on the rear, and the motors have to work harder, and that's why they are more likely to throw a Motor Error. Can't say why more on the left one, though.

Coriolis Effect - It's the left one North of equator, right one South of equator.

(Just kidding)
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    ichan.id
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 54183 ft
    Indonesia

hmm.. interesting, i've read the post from #1 to last post..
    based on 2 latest FW i've tried (0400 & 0500), i actually never had that issue or warning on my MM.
    FYI, i bought FM Combo, store my MM on given case and never a problem..
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    Zbip57
    lvl.4

Canada

If the firmware update completes successfully via the app, what makes people think repeating the update via the Assistant software should make any difference?  Either it's updated or it's not.

Downgrading to the previous firmware version does not "cure" the issue.  The fact that the new firmware version displays this motor speed error, and previous versions did not, only means that earlier firmware versions did not include this test or its warning.

If DJI has modified the firmware to now include this test, and recommends changing the props, why not just do that?

I got the warning, left rear motor, and have replaced the props on that motor.  Obviously one should replace both blades at the same time on any single motor, and one should make sure to use the correct Clockwise vs Counter-Clockwise blades.

It's difficult to see any difference visually comparing the old vs fresh blades.  However, one thing is noticeable.  (See photo)

I wish I had taken a "before" photo because now I can't remember what it looked like before.  With the original props in their stowed position, the blades from one side nested nicely underneath the other side's blades (between the body of the Mini and the other blades).  But now the tips of the left-rear newly installed fresh prop blades stand noticeably higher and no longer nest the same way.  Now the blades interfere with each other.  One side needs to be deflected in order to nest under the opposite side blades.  Clearly "something" has changed with the installation of fresh left-rear prop blades.

I haven't test flown it yet to see if I get the motor speed warning again.

The question remains, what causes this need to replace prop blades?  The original blades have been on my Mini since I bought it December.  The spare blades that came in the Combo Pack are the same vintage and haven't been out of their box until today.

Fresh left rear props

Fresh left rear props
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    hallmark007
    Captain
    Flight distance : 9827923 ft
    • >>>
    Ireland

dutch937 Posted at 4-29 07:13
    I had the same error. Replaced 2 blades and the error message went away. But, they were new blades that i replaced, so it makes no sense. Just another DJI bug with a firmware update.

You’re right it makes absolute no sense and those who say that damaged props cannot be seen with the naked eye are having a laugh, this problem with left motor raising a warning particularly when new props are fitted is a problem with the warning not the motor or the prop and to much hysteria is being posted on this thread.
    Storing props is not the issue or problem or cause unless you store your drone in a scrap yard, batches of bad props is also not the problem, to many noisy people trying to cause hysteria and consternation.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    Zbip57
    lvl.4

Canada

Here's a recent video from old Mr.Kent.  I don't agree with his reasoning on this one, but the video shows several examples of previous uncommanded descents into the ground, and now motor speed warnings with the latest firmware and another descent when the warning was ignored.

2020-4-29
    Use props
    Lucalazio
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 73871 ft
    Italy

I tried to downgrade the firmware and reinstall the new one.
    When I flew with my Mini all was OK!!!
    No error and no propellers problems.
    If the propellers had problems the alert had to come on or not?
    The italian DJI technician said me it could be a firmware bug especially on Android phones.
    Is it true?
    He said also that DJI is studying a new firmware release like solution for this problem.
    I hope it's true.
    Sorry for my english...
    Thanks and bye, Luca.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    Deucalion
    lvl.4
    United States

Zbip57 Posted at 4-29 07:49
    If the firmware update completes successfully via the app, what makes people think repeating the update via the Assistant software should make any difference?  Either it's updated or it's not.

Downgrading to the previous firmware version does not "cure" the issue.  The fact that the new firmware version displays this motor speed error, and previous versions did not, only means that earlier firmware versions did not include this test or its warning.

"The question remains, what causes this need to replace prop blades?  The original blades have been on my Mini since I bought it December.  The spare blades that came in the Combo Pack are the same vintage and haven't been out of their box until today."

No one really knows why the (good and bad) props are different, only that they are certainly different. You can look at the RPM with the bad props and see that they are significantly higher than with the good props. You can use DatCon to get the RPM data from your DAT file. I plan on digging deeper into this myself, when I have time.

Also, no one knows how bad the bad props really are. The drone is still flyable it seems. But the RPM numbers some users have posted are in the redline area, and they do lower with the new (good) props. I myself have yet to experience this issue, very few have, but if and when I get a warning, I will certainly spend $12 and put new props on.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    Deucalion
    lvl.4
    United States

Lucalazio Posted at 4-29 08:01
    I tried to downgrade the firmware and reinstall the new one.
    When I flew with my Mini all was OK!!!
    No error and no propellers problems.

You are probably fine then. Most people had no prop errors once they got the FW installed properly. Only a few had to replace propellors.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    djiuser_CcAYc3JXdlql
    New
    Flight distance : 12441 ft
    Luxembourg

If I read all the comments on other sites, the problem always occurs on the left rear motor. So, this has probably something to do with the new update?!
    Have already reported the issue to the support. Let's see what'll happen.....
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    hallmark007
    Captain
    • >>>
    Ireland

Zbip57 Posted at 4-29 07:49

Downgrading to the previous firmware version does not "cure" the issue.  The fact that the new firmware version displays this motor speed error, and previous versions did not, only means that earlier firmware versions did not include this test or its warning.

Or the warning could be false not warning correctly, it seems strange that some just screwed prop off then back on and warning was gone, so this action would definitely rule out warning for bad prop as being correct .
    It just seems strange that all the bad props were attached to the same motor wouldn’t you think .
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    amferreira
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 263225 ft
    Portugal

First this error only comes after the FW update because it wasn't on the previous FW. This new FW added this error in oder to prevent uncommanded descents that were happening. These descents were occuring due to lost lift of rear propeller. This lost lift can derive from defective shape of the propeller, lower voltage sent from the battery or flight conditions like wind. One or a combination of these factors on FW .0400 would give a Max power warning that many MM pilots ignored.

I started having the Max power warnings when I updated to FW .0400 and when reverting to FW .0300 the warnings disappeard. I looked at a solution and while doing indoor flights to see what was happening I realized that I was getting more warnings with one of the batteries. So I though I may had a problem with the firmware of that battery and refreshed the FW of the drone, batteries (one at a time) and controller using the DJI Assistant 2. After that I had more than 3 hours flying without any warning. On one of my latest flights I noticed that the Max power warning come up only once when I got also a Strong wind warning and battery was lower than 40%.

For the new FW update I used again the DJI Assistant 2 but I haven't tried the drone due to the currect lockdown situation and bad weather. I will try as soon as possible.

PS-When I started testing indoor after the FW .0400 upgrade I have seen that sometimes the MM coudn't take off and just moved backwards until the MM hit a wall (I was flying with prop guards and the props weren't damaged).

2020-4-29
    Use props
    Deucalion
    lvl.4
    United States

Zbip57 Posted at 4-29 07:56
    Here's a recent video from old Mr.Kent.  I don't agree with his reasoning on this one, but the video shows several examples of previous uncommanded descents into the ground, and now motor speed warnings with the latest firmware and another descent when the warning was ignored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVycG3xc6gk

That is a very good video showing what was going on for some users prior to the FW upgrade. Someone made a joke that they should have sent us all a box of props with the FW update. So far, I haven't seen evidence that we will be replacing props every week.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    djiuser_nbGIzHIzjp03
    New

United Kingdom

I have same issue since the update ..
    Replace props and still beeping with the error and it's the back left arm
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    Deucalion
    lvl.4
    United States

djiuser_nbGIzHIzjp03 Posted at 4-29 09:04
    I have same issue since the update ..
    Replace props and still beeping with the error and it's the back left arm

Did you make sure that the update was successful and complete by using DJI Assistant? Update the drone, the controller and the batteries?
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    mockingbirdmedia
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 45459 ft
    United Kingdom

Deucalion Posted at 4-29 03:22
    Assuming you mean after you rule out a faulty FW update by using DJI Assistant. A couple users have dug into their DAT files and indeed, the RPM on the indicated motor (prop) is high compared to the others. And when they replace the prop, the rpm goes back to normal. If yours was flying fine before the update and the update was successful and complete, then you probably will have no issue.

Unfortunately, DJI has given almost no explanation.

Nothing new there then !
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    fansf70250bc
    lvl.2
    United States

So I installed dji Assistant 2 for the mavic mini...I can connect my mini no problem and it shows up. When I click on it I get "Network Error Please Retry" message when Assistant is apparently trying to access the server for different FW versions. I've tried many things including turning off the Windows 10 firewall, bypassing my router, reinstalling, different pc, etc with no success.

Also, when I use the dji fly app "About" section and select "Check for Updates", I get a server error, try again later message, so it's not just the PC. Checking for updates for the FlySafe Database works ok, so the app is getting through to dji, just not able to access the FW database apparently.

Anyone else having issues?? It's been this way for the past couple of days (when I got my new mini and tried doing this stuff). The regular updates of mini, batteries, etc from just getting the popup messages seems to have worked.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    Deucalion
    lvl.4
    United States

fansf70250bc Posted at 4-29 09:28
    So I installed dji Assistant 2 for the mavic mini...I can connect my mini no problem and it shows up. When I click on it I get "Network Error Please Retry" message when Assistant is apparently trying to access the server for different FW versions. I've tried many things including turning off the Windows 10 firewall, bypassing my router, reinstalling, different pc, etc with no success.

Also, when I use the dji fly app "About" section and select "Check for Updates", I get a server error, try again later message, so it's not just the PC. Checking for updates for the FlySafe Database works ok, so the app is getting through to dji, just not able to access the FW database apparently.

I was actually just using mine and it got through.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    hallmark007
    Captain
    • >>>
    Ireland

amferreira Posted at 4-29 08:48
    First this error only comes after the FW update because it wasn't on the previous FW. This new FW added this error in oder to prevent uncommanded descents that were happening. These descents were occuring due to lost lift of rear propeller. This lost lift can derive from defective shape of the propeller, lower voltage sent from the battery or flight conditions like wind. One or a combination of these factors on FW .0400 would give a Max power warning that many MM pilots ignored.

I started having the Max power warnings when I updated to FW .0400 and when reverting to FW .0300 the warnings disappeard. I looked at a solution and while doing indoor flights to see what was happening I realized that I was getting more warnings with one of the batteries. So I though I may had a problem with the firmware of that battery and refreshed the FW of the drone, batteries (one at a time) and controller using the DJI Assistant 2. After that I had more than 3 hours flying without any warning. On one of my latest flights I noticed that the Max power warning come up only once when I got also a Strong wind warning and battery was lower than 40%.

Uncommanded descents have been happening since day one, it was nothing to do with .400 FW, you say these uncommanded was as a result of rear props failing to lift craft  “where are you getting this information from” and are you now saying all rear props have problems and if this is the case what of extra props that came with craft, are these better props than we have on the rear motors of the mini or should we dump them.
    And if the rear props were faulty how do you explain all users being able to fly around for most of there flight but then out of left field craft starts to descend as well as going backwards .
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    bmg2
    lvl.2
    United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-29 09:32
    I was actually just using mine and it got through.

What version are you using? I've got the same issue with Dji Assistant 2 for Mavic versions 2.0.10 and 2.0.12.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    SLiWooDy
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 126234 ft
    • >>>
    United Kingdom

This guy has the problem solved;

2020-4-29
    Use props
    120ccpm
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 1396755 ft
    United States

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 4-29 00:30

If you first get an error, refresh the firmware via DJI Assistant as some have reported it worked. If you still get an error, you're welcome to ignore it and dismiss it as a bug. My MM had no problems before and after the update, but should I get an error, I would replace the props without hesitation.
    2020-4-29
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules