Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 4-30 07:49
It’s pretty simple to understand, this is not simple and made more difficult because of the lack of response from dji, there are so many different ideas and theory’s as to why users are getting warnings even though their props are brand new, why when switching props warning goes away, why when just simply taking prop off and putting same one back on warning goes away and why when just switching off craft warning goes away, now you may think you have the answer but how do you explain a two day old craft getting the warning , so all above are reasons people come here and why shouldn’t they .

I don't claim to have the answer or know what is causing the problem, but I believe when the warning comes up it gives you direct instructions to follow. Change the propeller and if the problem persists contact DJi.
It doesn't instruct you to down grade firmware.
It doesn't instruct you to go fly and keep powering off your drone.
Or anything else.

Change the Prop, if the error persists contact DJi support.

If you ignore the warning/instructions you could be waving goodbye to any warranty claim you might have later down the line.

Its simple, follow the instructions given by Dji.  
2020-4-30
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

SLiWooDy Posted at 4-30 08:04
I don't claim to have the answer or know what is causing the problem, but I believe when the warning comes up it gives you direct instructions to follow. Change the propeller and if the problem persists contact DJi.

I agree with this.
2020-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your now making sense, and that’s what others are saying that this could be an incorrect warning particularly shown by those having to replace new props those who just change the prop with another prop etc, and while it will be up to users to contact dji, it really should be dji contacting users with correct explanation as to why and what problems are being solved.
2020-4-30
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

I got an idea, lets review our .dat files.

No more guessing or head scratching, brand new mini's or month old ones.It will tell us what's going on. Let's review the information and see how bad if any deviation exists on brand new mini's, We can analyze real data and draw an actual conclusion for ourselves.
2020-4-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Couple of people have asked why only Left Rear prop, and not Right Rear prop.  Two possibilities, one can be checked by pilots, other requires DJI.

1) Right Rear arm, when folded is closer to MM's body, putting blades closer to body of MM.  Going by Zbip57's picture.  Whereas, Left Rear arm, folded is further from MM's body, leaving tips  of blades to be bent when stored.  Possibility owners can check.  

2) A batch run of Prop blades for Left (port) Rear (ccw?) and for Right Front (ccw?) were bad.  The Right (starboard) Front prop has less stress, (going by reported MM balance & motor RPMs) - thus bad (ccw?) blades when on Right Front are not a problem.  DJI would have to analyze bad blades.

2020-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ABeardedItalian Posted at 4-30 08:24
I got an idea, lets review our .dat files.

No more guessing or head scratching, brand new mini's or month old ones.It will tell us what's going on. Let's review the information and see how bad if any deviation exists on brand new mini's, We can analyze real data and draw an actual conclusion for ourselves.

I think you would need also to compare to older FW. I think bad batch of props is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard here, considering that people with brand new minis getting warning of bad prop, that would mean dji are still putting on so called bad batch to all drones for the last 6 months.

So maybe a different approach is required...
2020-4-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Suggest one thing more:
DJI should be collecting blades deemed Bad by their Firmware; for analysis as to Why blades are Bad.

Otherwise, there is a potential for more Bad blades to be manufactured, released into stream for users to purchase, and install on their MM.  

On flip-side, if blades are Bad as result of storage, incorrect folding of props, malformed cases, etc; the problem will persist giving MM a bad rep.

2020-4-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Too bad few, can't come up with a possible cause, and reason.  Instead of always being Naysayers.
But it is always easier to trash someone's idea as being stupid, most ridiculous thing ever heard; than come with their own possibility.
2020-4-30
Use props
A'damK
New
Netherlands

Hi all!
I had the same issue after updating the software.

-  Took drone for a flight of about 5 minutes
-  Noticed new firmware: updated it on the spot
-  Took drone for a second flight: all good, 10 minutes total.
-  Second flight after update: error showed up mid air, about 50 meters high. 2 minutes flight.
-  Brought down Drone and checked the Left Rear prop just as the error suggested.
-  Took him up in the air again, shortly after take off, error shows up again. 2 minutes flight.
-  Checked Left Rear prop one more time and decided to let it rest for now.
-  After 3 hrs, took him for a flight and no error showed: 5 minutes flight and no higher than 50 meters.
-  Brought him home and tried it out indoors to check for the error and change the Left Rear prop, no error showed.

I am afraid to have this error mid air and in a far away distance. I would really like to know if its a design flaw or a firmware flaw. This new update either showed a flaw that the previous version of the firmware wasn't able to OR there is a bug in the new firmware update.
I work for a tech company and I'm very familiar with system bugs that can only be detected when several people raise the issue. Hopefully there is just a little system bug, otherwise it would be a waste of props.

Thanks for the rest of the tips!
2020-4-30
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

A'damK Posted at 4-30 08:55
Hi all!

Check out my guide thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=214023
Have you flown since replacing the props? If so upload your Dat file and let someone review it, if your rpm's are consistent after the prop replacement I'd argue you are safe to fly again.

Unfortunately how long is the unknown question, I'm going to be monitoring my own props to see if and when they cross that error line.

Hopefully with enough people we can maybe determine what the Mavic Mini's prop lifespan is.
2020-4-30
Use props
A'damK
New
Netherlands

ABeardedItalian Posted at 4-30 09:02
Check out my guide thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=214023
Have you flown since replacing the props? If so upload your Dat file and let someone review it, if your rpm's are consistent after the prop replacement I'd argue you are safe to fly again.

Oh cool! Awesome! thanks . I will def dig into it!

Data FTW!
2020-4-30
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

A'damK Posted at 4-30 08:55
Hi all!

The consensus right now is that the FW is doing what it should be doing and telling you to replace the prop. If you follow ABeardedItallian's link to his post about reading your DAT log files, you can confirm yourself whether the FW is right or not. If it is right, then you should see much higher RPM in the affected prop versus the other rear prop.

Several users have had issues with the FW update not being complete (it updates the Drone, RC and Batteries) and they had to use DJI Assistant to check it and complete it. Once that is done, those who had prop warnings/errors replaced their props and the warnings/errors went away. Thus, it seems to be working. So far.
2020-4-30
Use props
MoManjoo786
lvl.1
Flight distance : 492297 ft
South Africa

S73ph4N05 Posted at 4-24 07:30
It’s always the rear left motor

same issue after updating the firmware, left motor as well

Motor speed error. Land or return to home promptly. After powering off the aircraft, replace the propeller on the beeping ESC. If the issue persists, contact DJI Support(Code: 30246)
2020-4-30
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

MoManjoo786 Posted at 4-30 09:45
same issue after updating the firmware, left motor as well

Motor speed error. Land or return to home promptly. After powering off the aircraft, replace the propeller on the beeping ESC. If the issue persists, contact DJI Support(Code: 30246)

Did you use DJI Assistant to upgrade the FW? A lot of times, the phone app doesn't perform the update properly and to make sure you should update using DJI Assistant. If after that you still get the prop error, then replace the prop.
2020-4-30
Use props
Paulbasso
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47451 ft
Argentina

Deucalion Posted at 4-24 13:39
Here is my take on it, and I have only had my MM for 2 weeks and haven't had the misfortune of experiencing this issue...

1. These drones (the other models as well) rely solely on their motors and props and the condition of the props is very important.

Hi..

I had an auto descended when RTH with Sport Mode because I lost signal with the MM. I really think it was because the last firmware, I saw that a lot of people recommend to change the props but I wasn't sure to drop the old ones (not to old). When I changed to the new last firmware ask me to change the left rear propeller and I think they have to change in some way to detect when the motor it is working bad or doing to much force. I changed all the propellers and the message has gone. The only problem in this moment is that I normally looks the fly logs on airdata.com and after changing the new firmware the fly log show not the total fly, only the beginning...
2020-4-30
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-30 08:27
Couple of people have asked why only Left Rear prop, and not Right Rear prop.  Two possibilities, one can be checked by pilots, other requires DJI.

1) Right Rear arm, when folded is closer to MM's body, putting blades closer to body of MM.  Going by Zbip57's picture.  Whereas, Left Rear arm, folded is further from MM's body, leaving tips  of blades to be bent when stored.  Possibility owners can check.  

"1) Right Rear arm, when folded is closer to MM's body, putting blades closer to body of MM.  Going by Zbip57's picture.  Whereas,  Left Rear arm, folded is further from MM's body, leaving tips  of  blades to be bent when stored.  Possibility owners can check."

Just a small clarification.  I put fresh props only on the Left Rear Motor.  The Right Rear are still the original blades.

I checked the arms just now and they both appear to fold equally close to the body.  But in that photo you can see that the right-side (original) blades do sit closer to the body than the new left-side blades.  

Previously, with the original blades on both sides, they nested together easily, sliding over/under each other when stowed.  But to stow them crossed now I would need to push down on the tips of the right-side blades to get them to slide under the left-side blades.  Or I would need to really push down hard on the left-side blades to get them under the right-side blades.

That is the only visible difference I can tell with the new blades fitted to the left-rear motor.  But, the motor overspeed warning has not re-appeared (yet) since replacing those left-rear blades.  I've only flown it once since then though.  It's raining hard today, so the next flight will need to wait a while.

2020-4-30
Use props
fkitsuta
New

Peru

Problem Solved! (for now)... My Mavic mini was flaying fine before the update. After update (using the APP) I received the error message in my first flight (rear right motor). I did a Firmware refresh using PC with DJI Assistant. I tested and now the problem is gone. I hope it doesn't appear again.
2020-4-30
Use props
Kry Siak
New

Poland

I have enough of it! I am folowing this topic since the beginning and I'm still in wtf possition... At first after upgrade to newest FW I had the same as almost everyone error( motor speed error) first it was on left rear ESC... after change of props I had the same situation with the right ESC so I've change them also. Meanwhile I have  downgrade the FW and Upgraded it again. Then the same error appeared in the same left ESC... I really starting to thing this is not our foult..
2020-4-30
Use props
fans03bf0071
lvl.2
Flight distance : 605748 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Kry Siak Posted at 4-30 13:48
I have enough of it! I am folowing this topic since the beginning and I'm still in wtf possition... At first after upgrade to newest FW I had the same as almost everyone error( motor speed error) first it was on left rear ESC... after change of props I had the same situation with the right ESC so I've change them also. Meanwhile I have  downgrade the FW and Upgraded it again. Then the same error appeared in the same left ESC... I really starting to thing this is not our foult..

The Fly app just got an update. Footnotes sat improved warning for flying in high winds hmmm. Wonder if it addresses the recent motor issue.
2020-4-30
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

fans03bf0071 Posted at 4-30 14:01
The Fly app just got an update. Footnotes sat improved warning for flying in high winds hmmm. Wonder if it addresses the recent motor issue.

...lol...not 1.1.0...it's been out few days...

Not for mini...for MA2
2020-4-30
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

Bottom line I guess...no more "Uncommanded" descends since last update...?
2020-4-30
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

The firmware refresh did not fix the issue for me.
2020-4-30
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

dronespilot Posted at 4-30 17:47
The firmware refresh did not fix the issue for me.

Did you replace the prop?
2020-4-30
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-30 17:54
Did you replace the prop?

That’s what I’m gonna do to tonight and test it again.
2020-4-30
Use props
fans26a7d36f
New

United States

Same issue here
2020-4-30
Use props
djiuser_caThyXWRqlg5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1697684 ft
United States

JESUS!!!!!!!! thank goodness I came here, I had the same issue after changing the firmware and my drone is so unstable it is rocking like crazy, i had to put prop guards on !!!

It gave me the exact same thing first the left rear, then the right rear but it was still very unstable to I changed it again.

I have gone through all 6 that came with my FLYMORE ...

I guess this update was to waste good propellers and Now I have no extras and the mini keeps drifting, tried to grab it and cut two fingers TOO

I am totally upset at DJI for sending a BS upgrade and we are all having issues. They better send me all the wasted props.
2020-4-30
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

Did you refresh with DJI Assistant?
2020-4-30
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Response received from DJI below.

They have ignored the fact that the faulty blades came from the factory, was hoping they would offer to send my replacements.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We are very sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your DJI product.

In regards on your issue. Our engineers advised that the new firmware update is to protect the flight safety, we added the detection of abnormal motor speed in V1.0.5 firmware version. If such problems occur during flight, it is recommended that you first check whether the propellers are damaged or deformed.
It is recommended that you replace the entire pair of propellers on the corresponding motor firstly.
If there is a slight propellers deformation caused by improper storage, it is recommended that you smooth the corresponding propellers before attempting.

If still the problem persist, we suggest to send your unit for diagnosis and you click this link HERE to start the process.

Thank you for understanding and cooperation."
2020-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

itchyeyeballs Posted at 5-1 01:35

They have ignored the fact that the faulty blades came from the factory, was hoping they would offer to send my replacements.

I think that answer is more than clear, it’s asking specifically to look at and check props to make sure they are not deformed or damaged, so the deformities and damage must be able to be seen by operator, this eliminates what others were saying that you could not see damage by checking or looking at the prop.
They further go on to say try smoothing out any damage again letting us know damage would be visible .
Replacing both half’s of prop is a good idea and saves getting cross or mixed props.

I think they are saying if your props are faulty you should be able to see the damage and if this was the case then I’m certain if they were unused they would change them.
I don’t believe bad props show no deformities, but from experience dji always set warnings on the very fine side, example is wind warning .And Duacallion was correct this is more a SW problem than a HW issue.
2020-5-1
Use props
Stoppschild-TV
New
Germany

I am from Germany and my English is not so good so I didn't read all the messages here. But I have the same message after firmware update.
The rear left propeller I should change like many others (I have read any messages here on the first page).
The propellers look optical fine. Is  the alarm message in the app a bug? Could somebody answer me in German?
2020-5-1
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-1 02:02
I think that answer is more than clear, it’s asking specifically to look at and check props to make sure they are not deformed or damaged, so the deformities and damage must be able to be seen by operator, this eliminates what others were saying that you could not see damage by checking or looking at the prop.
They further go on to say try smoothing out any damage again letting us know damage would be visible .
Replacing both half’s of prop is a good idea and saves getting cross or mixed props.

Yes and no, I agree that DJI probably has the sensitivity higher then it needs to be on the safe side but not all prop deformation can be seen. It's one thing if the prop has physical damage like chips or raised/rounded edges, that's easy to see with the naked eye but a slight pitch deformation you won't.

"Smooth your props out" Excuse me.... how? Run the prop between 2 fingers and apply pressure and pull the prop out to "smooth" any deformities? Wouldn't that be flattening out the prop more?

We have the rpm data that shows prop by prop change in data, so just because you can't see anything wrong with the aforementioned prop that's getting the error doesn't mean it's not still bad. Looking at my personal tests this reigns true, a prop that looks visually fine could still be under performing. That prop swap test that invoked striking is the literal proof, on a motor with less rpm/stress then that of the rear the prop should of maintained pitch. Expect this prop was exposed to the increased stress from the rear motors. When placed on the front that prop that looked OK still deformes and strikes the body.
2020-5-1
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

itchyeyeballs Posted at 5-1 01:35

Yes, that is unfortunate. If you review the thread where we have been testing various props, there is some variability. The good news is that there is a decent margin of error, and most if not almost all of us are running with original props since we got the drone. But some props are definitely out of spec and during flight reach max rpms or at least pass the threshold set in the FW. Those must be replaced.
2020-5-1
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

Stoppschild-TV Posted at 5-1 05:07
I am from Germany and my English is not so good so I didn't read all the messages here. But I have the same message after firmware update.
The rear left propeller I should change like many others (I have read any messages here on the first page).
The propellers look optical fine. Is  the alarm message in the app a bug? Could somebody answer me in German? [view_image]

What all of us have done in this situation is first make sure that the firmware upgrade is complete by using DJI Assistant to do the update. If after this, you still get the warning, then you should change the prop. Even though they are new, some new props are out of spec and not as efficient as those that are in spec, causing the RPMs to be much higher, and thus the warning.
2020-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-1 05:28
Yes and no, I agree that DJI probably has the sensitivity higher then it needs to be on the safe side but not all prop deformation can be seen. It's one thing if the prop has physical damage like chips or raised/rounded edges, that's easy to see with the naked eye but a slight pitch deformation you won't.

"Smooth your props out" Excuse me.... how? Run the prop between 2 fingers and apply pressure and pull the prop out to "smooth" any deformities? Wouldn't that be flattening out the prop more?

I think the bigger picture is being missed here, I think you can get similar data from all dji drones if you wish to.
Since FW update we have not seen any involuntary drops including in all tests I’ve seen here, now I suppose we should ask why ! Those who bypassed warning by simply restarting craft, those who updated through assistant, now maybe wait and see, according to you these craft will fall from the sky as blades new and old are according to you “even if the look fine” faulty so we should see plenty of craft falling from the sky or at least slowly going backwards and landing.
It’s my belief that this prop warning was not the only improvement made to Mavic Mini to stop it from falling out of the sky and optimizations have been pretty evident to me.

You know it’s really hard to accept that now we believe that props are faulty in such a way that we cannot see but users are prepared to continue to fly not knowing who has bad props and who doesn’t, I have not had any problems with my props I store in a way that has been frowned on here as a direct result of so called flattening props, yet my mini flys fine. Last weekend I placed a prop under a 20kg steel block two days later I took it out and it wasn’t damaged and it wasn’t flat and it works fine.

Now while I don’t believe bad batch of props bad plastic mix etc and flying drones for over 7 years, I have never heard or seen bad batch props with invisible damage and nobody here has proven this .
So I find it strange when someone with brand new props get warnings and by simply switching with another prop warning goes away but now can’t tell where the bad prop is now.
Props can get damaged deformed but they don’t grow bad .

What amazes me most that those saying that they might be flying with bad props accept it, I can just look at my props and I know they are fine.
2020-5-1
Use props
djiuser_rFfzrMQDfr3W
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Rollback firmware to ver. 0.400 solved problem. DJI screwed up firmware 0.500
2020-5-1
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_rFfzrMQDfr3W Posted at 5-1 05:58
Rollback firmware to ver. 0.400 solved problem. DJI screwed up firmware 0.500

You lose the warnings of bad props then, and if you get in the situation, your drone will fall out of the sky. It is rare though, so maybe you will luck out.
2020-5-1
Use props
REXOLOGY
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Deucalion Posted at 5-1 06:00
You lose the warnings of bad props then, and if you get in the situation, your drone will fall out of the sky. It is rare though, so maybe you will luck out.

or maybe DJI force people to buy more props $$$$$

2020-5-1
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 5-1 05:58
I think the bigger picture is being missed here, I think you can get similar data from all dji drones if you wish to.
Since FW update we have not seen any involuntary drops including in all tests I’ve seen here, now I suppose we should ask why ! Those who bypassed warning by simply restarting craft, those who updated through assistant, now maybe wait and see, according to you these craft will fall from the sky as blades new and old are according to you “even if the look fine” faulty so we should see plenty of craft falling from the sky or at least slowly going backwards and landing.
It’s my belief that this prop warning was not the only improvement made to Mavic Mini to stop it from falling out of the sky and optimizations have been pretty evident to me.

"Since FW update we have not seen any involuntary drops including in all tests I’ve seen here, now I suppose we should ask why !"
"Last weekend I placed a prop under a 20kg steel block two days later I took it out and it wasn’t damaged and it wasn’t flat and it works fine."

...well said...indeed
2020-5-1
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-1 05:58
It’s my belief that this prop warning was not the only improvement made to Mavic Mini to stop it from falling out of the sky and optimizations have been pretty evident to me.

"What amazes me most that those saying that they might be flying with bad props accept it, I can just look at my props and I know they are fine."

Well, we have the FW warning now, but before that we had the max power messages. But you are right to a point. I really did not want to swap out my original props to do RPM tests on my original versus new. But I did it for the sake of data. But my advice to anyone is that if they are not getting warnings with their props, do not swap them. They have already proven themselves.
2020-5-1
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

REXOLOGY Posted at 5-1 06:02
or maybe DJI force people to buy more props  $$$$$

The descents were real. I think what DJI is doing is covering themselves. They replaced the drones that fell from the sky before due to this. But now they will say that you are not running the most recent firmware. So they want to sell props and not replace more drones.
2020-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules