MOTOR SPEED ERROR AFTER 04/2020 FIRMWARE
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

Deucalion Posted at 5-1 06:08
The descents were real. I think what DJI is doing is covering themselves. They replaced the drones that fell from the sky before due to this. But now they will say that you are not running the most recent firmware. So they want to sell props and not replace more drones.

"I think what DJI is doing is covering themselves"

...hmmm, I tend to agree...they are so silent...
2020-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Deucalion Posted at 5-1 06:03
"What amazes me most that those saying that they might be flying with bad props accept it, I can just look at my props and I know they are fine."

Well, we have the FW warning now, but before that we had the max power messages. But you are right to a point. I really did not want to swap out my original props to do RPM tests on my original versus new. But I did it for the sake of data. But my advice to anyone is that if they are not getting warnings with their props, do not swap them. They have already proven themselves.

I think the FW pointing out there might be a problem is great even if it’s set a bit fine like many other warnings, but I believe that FW by way of optimizations may well have had the biggest impact on involuntary descents, so far touch wood we haven’t seen to much being reported and they’re many more flying now with the better weather.

I’m also in favour of checking props before and after flying and many times I have posted preflight check which include checks for props.

It’s funny when Mavic pro first came out, everyone who flew phantoms thought the small props wouldn’t lift the craft off the ground a bit of de ja vu here.
2020-5-1
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 5-1 06:36
I think the FW pointing out there might be a problem is great even if it’s set a bit fine like many other warnings, but I believe that FW by way of optimizations may well have had the biggest impact on involuntary descents, so far touch wood we haven’t seen to much being reported and they’re many more flying now with the better weather.

I’m also in favour of checking props before and after flying and many times I have posted preflight check which include checks for props.

Thx for well exp input as always
2020-5-1
Use props
JGFly
lvl.3

Canada

Deucalion Posted at 5-1 06:08
The descents were real. I think what DJI is doing is covering themselves. They replaced the drones that fell from the sky before due to this. But now they will say that you are not running the most recent firmware. So they want to sell props and not replace more drones.

For those who return to FW 0400, they will no longer receive a warning, if they lose or crash the MM, will they lose their warranty?

What do you think ?
2020-5-1
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

JGFly Posted at 5-1 06:45
For those who return to FW 0400, they will no longer receive a warning, if they lose or crash the MM, will they lose their warranty?

What do you think ?

....hmmmm, very good question.

...why DJI so silent?

...are they ashamed somehow?

(I know pers, this might be the case...they so proud)

2020-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JGFly Posted at 5-1 06:45

What do you think ?

As long as you can revert to other FW warranty will cover you, dji do recommend you use up to date FW.

If you have separate insurance, they will insist you fly on up to date FW.
2020-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans1cafe718 Posted at 5-1 06:48
....hmmmm, very good question.

...why DJI so silent?

Private company answerable to no one, I also think it might be a cultural thing, it’s certainly not helpful .
2020-5-1
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 5-1 07:00
Private company answerable to no one, I also think it might be a cultural thing, it’s certainly not helpful .

"cultural thing"

"certainly not helpful"

yep...very much.

2020-5-1
Use props
JGFly
lvl.3

Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 5-1 06:58
As long as you can revert to other FW warranty will cover you, dji do recommend you use up to date FW.

If you have separate insurance, they will insist you fly on up to date FW.

Oh !  Fine !

Thanks!
2020-5-1
Use props
MoManjoo786
lvl.1
Flight distance : 492297 ft
South Africa

JetSam Posted at 4-25 09:17
It must be a firmware failure, all the propellers of many users cannot be broken suddenly ..    IMO

Agree, the issue started on mine as soon as the firmware was updated, no issues before.  Also how can all of our MMs have problems with props on the left motor
2020-5-1
Use props
JGFly
lvl.3

Canada

MoManjoo786 Posted at 5-1 08:56
Agree, the issue started on mine as soon as the firmware was updated, no issues before.  Also how can all of our MMs have problems with props on the left motor

Maybe going back post  565 P.15

Cheers !
2020-5-1
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

JGFly Posted at 5-1 09:07
Maybe going back post  565 P.15

Cheers !

China is nice...but, let's try and stop our dependence on them.

...yes..they hold us by the balluskizzz...

...but it is the begining of the end for them...

It is well known and forecast...

China is FINISHED as World provders.

Zai Jian!!  (BYE BYE)

2020-5-1
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

I think the bigger picture is being missed here, I think you can get similar data from all dji drones if you wish to.

That's great and provides the pilot with lots of information, how is this a bad thing that you can check with all drones? Are you saying all drones will have the "Same" data, to some extent they will but each model has a different size motor/prop that will produce different rpm's and will have a graph unique to it.

Since FW update we have not seen any involuntary drops including in all tests I’ve seen here, now I suppose we should ask why !

Involuntary drops weren't happening every day, we would go days between drop posts. With this new fw we have a new warning, that's what's cutting down on drop posts for the time being but for every person who ignores and goes back to 1.04 is just statistics waiting to be calculated.

Those who bypassed warning by simply restarting craft, those who updated through assistant, now maybe wait and see, according to you these craft will fall from the sky as blades new and old are according to you “even if the look fine” faulty so we should see plenty of craft falling from the sky or at least slowly going backwards and landing.

We shouldn't at all, remember my props never received the warning and are original. These are to be considered good but the RPM data shows that they are experiencing deformation and moving them to the front motors confirmed that. So if those rear props which never had the error in the first place, everyone would call them okay but I have the rpm information to say otherwise and why I created that thread. Just as you yourself have said "my props are fine" and if you looked at the RPM Data and seen the same as I did you would think everything is fine, but that's not the whole story is it. While the deformation is fine in the Rear, the clearance/tolerance of the front props is smaller and the deformation becomes evident only then.

It’s my belief that this prop warning was not the only improvement made to Mavic Mini to stop it from falling out of the sky and optimizations have been pretty evident to me.

I would really hope not, I wish they would tell us what exactly they did.

You know it’s really hard to accept that now we believe that props are faulty in such a way that we cannot see but users are prepared to continue to fly not knowing who has bad props and who doesn’t, I have not had any problems with my props I store in a way that has been frowned on here as a direct result of so called flattening props, yet my mini fly's fine. Last weekend I placed a prop under a 20kg steel block two days later I took it out and it wasn’t damaged and it wasn’t flat and it works fine.

Do they really work fine? All this talk but you don't show us any actual pictures or data outside of the props being stored. Your props could also not be fatigued as much as my props were/are. I would like to see that 20kg test again, with new props and old props. I bet the new props would hardly show any signs of change while the old/original props will show otherwise. Also from what I've read you only tried that prop on the Rear motor (I don't really know outside you switching one set from the front to the back) so there could still be more to the picture.

Now while I don’t believe bad batch of props bad plastic mix etc and flying drones for over 7 years, I have never heard or seen bad batch props with invisible damage and nobody here has proven this.

Things happen? I don't have an answer for this other then people aren't doing enough research. If I can't see the visual damage maybe I can another way, oh let's weigh them. My original rear props weigh .4 grams each and all combined weigh 1.6 grams, I weighed a fresh replacement set and each of those props weigh .55 grams and all 4 came to a total of 2.0 to 2.1 grams. So given how small these props are, losing material would explain why some props are weaker then others.

So I find it strange when someone with brand new props get warnings and by simply switching with another prop warning goes away but now can’t tell where the bad prop is now.
Props can get damaged deformed but they don’t grow bad .

They do if they experience material loss, bad manufacturing or QC but if one prop has less material it'll be under performing it's brothers.

What amazes me most that those saying that they might be flying with bad props accept it, I can just look at my props and I know they are fine.

I didn't know you had xray vision all this time.
2020-5-1
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You have a keen sense of humor...
2020-5-1
Use props
djiuser_IJihTqSKAuUs
New

United Kingdom

S73ph4N05 Posted at 4-24 07:30
It’s always the rear left motor

Same as me mine is always the rear left.. props replaced. Very annoying..
2020-5-1
Use props
djiuser_IJihTqSKAuUs
New

United Kingdom

djiuser_caThyXWRqlg5 Posted at 4-30 20:42
JESUS!!!!!!!! thank goodness I came here, I had the same issue after changing the firmware and my drone is so unstable it is rocking like crazy, i had to put prop guards on !!!

It gave me the exact same thing first the left rear, then the right rear but it was still very unstable to I changed it again.

Yup left rear I thought it was just me!
2020-5-1
Use props
djiuser_IJihTqSKAuUs
New

United Kingdom

Well it's seems that its the left rear all the time to me.. props changed on the effected rear but still same, tomorrow I will change the right also to see .i am sure they will have another patch .

2020-5-1
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

djiuser_IJihTqSKAuUs Posted at 5-1 10:26
Well it's seems that its the left rear all the time to me.. props changed on the effected rear but still same, tomorrow I will change the right also to see .i am sure they will have another patch .

Did you make sure that the FW was installed by checking with DJI Assistant? Sorry if I asked before, but these generic DJI user ids all look the same to me,
2020-5-1
Use props
djiuser_m3Uoqle1svs0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19167 ft
Canada

Guys I just updated my app on android and IOS and the flyapp and drone to 1.5 and just did a test inside my place hovering and no errors. the drone hovered with no issues for awhile.
When I test outside I will post about it.
2020-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

itchyeyeballs Posted at 5-1 01:35
Response received from DJI below.

They have ignored the fact that the faulty blades came from the factory, was hoping they would offer to send my replacements.

What you got back from DJI with some changes should have been part of FW release notes.
Along with being a Sticky at very top of Mavic forum page or Mavic-Mini forum page.

Shaky my head at headaches DJI causes by lack of informative communication to their customers.  
2020-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

fans1cafe718 Posted at 5-1 06:10
"I think what DJI is doing is covering themselves"

...hmmm, I tend to agree...they are so silent...

Which only makes things worse.   Better to be up front with customers, than to leave them in the dark.  Cause it WILL lead to speculation and with some customers their own digging and discovery.   Later of which can become a real PR nightmare.
2020-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-1 09:20
I think the bigger picture is being missed here, I think you can get similar data from all dji drones if you wish to.

That's great and provides the pilot with lots of information, how is this a bad thing that you can check with all drones? Are you saying all drones will have the "Same" data, to some extent they will but each model has a different size motor/prop that will produce different rpm's and will have a graph unique to it.
I think your last statement shows the lengths you will go to to try prove that props caused descents on their own.
It’s a fact that all drone pilots check their props by looking at them, they don’t X-ray them and they don’t assay them to check how hot the plastic got before molding them.
So trying to ridicule is not going to convince anyone you somehow strict gold.
The fact is advice coming direct from dji is simple, if you get warning fly home land and check props for damage if it’s not showing any damage no need to change, not get your props xrayed and check batch number to check what mix.
I think all tests proved that not one could replicate uncontrolled descent, and I know you will try flattening your prop but that’s just BS nobody has shown one single prop that was rendered flat by storing it so that test is just rubbish, anyone who understands the Bernoulli principle knows a flat prop is definitely not a good prop that’s a given,

If my drone flys fine then it’s most likely fine
2020-5-1
Use props
Chelo2
New

Argentina

There is not a single word of DJI about this issue?
2020-5-1
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4862598 ft
  • >>>
Russia

HAHA! Today got the same message at 1.0.500! It was little bit windy but Ok to fly and no strong wind warnings but the motor speed error. What a heck? Why all have problems with rear left propellers? I flew safely and close to myself the rest of battery and everything was okay. Tried to take of 3 times and every time received this error.
2020-5-2
Use props
fans44e6c056
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Im afraid the same here New MM 1 flight, then update FW to the 500 one and  motor speed error on rear left with perfect blades

My conclusion is that this is too much of a coincidence I mean what are the odds for this to be anything other than one of these two options?

1. All MMs that have been packed stored and shipped have had the time to deform/miss align the left rear prop enough that the upgrade is detecting the increase in power use? one question that would help is that any owners who did not get this error after upgrade "have you previously replaced the left rear prop"? thus getting rid of the fault before upgrade.

2. There is a bug in the FW? but this would affect all owners so another question how many owners have not had the error?

If the cause is scenario 1 then cost of a set of props no big deal DJI are probably aware and are taking steps to correct for future.
If its scenario 2 the euston we have a problem not because it can not be fixed or even it may not effect flight but, DJI have handled this all wrong and instead of trying to blame everything other than themselfs should have briefed the community ?

Anyway set of props used and my faith in DJI has been dented.
2020-5-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

fans44e6c056 Posted at 5-2 07:53
Im afraid the same here New MM 1 flight, then update FW to the 500 one and  motor speed error on rear left with perfect blades

My conclusion is that this is too much of a coincidence I mean what are the odds for this to be anything other than one of these two options?

Please clarify.
Did you replace both blades on rear left motor, with a matched set of blades, then try to fly again?

2020-5-2
Use props
JB 9
lvl.2
United States

It seems as though some of you are skipping over some of the posts. If you look Friday at 1:35 itcyeyeballs posted
Response received from DJI below.

They have ignored the fact that the faulty blades came from the factory, was hoping they would offer to send my replacements.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We are very sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your DJI product.

In regards on your issue. Our engineers advised that the new firmware update is to protect the flight safety, we added the detection of abnormal motor speed in V1.0.5 firmware version. If such problems occur during flight, it is recommended that you first check whether the propellers are damaged or deformed.
It is recommended that you replace the entire pair of propellers on the corresponding motor firstly.
If there is a slight propellers deformation caused by improper storage, it is recommended that you smooth the corresponding propellers before attempting.

If still the problem persist, we suggest to send your unit for diagnosis and you click this link HERE to start the process.

Thank you for understanding and cooperation."

Now I understand well enough that a lot of variables take place to make these things fly but, it's not rocket science either. Take your hammer, blow drier, digging bar, what ever it takes and smooth them out.
Like DJI said. Now then as far as errors one day and not the next could be the weather. If you know anyone that owns a small airplane can tell you the temperature makes a big difference in flying. One cool or cold day the plane climbs and flys great. The next hot day It's not safe to even try to get off the ground with the same gross weight. Yes there are charts for this and not doing your pre-flight check list can cost you your license and/or your life.
So the thinner the air the higher the prop speed hence over speed RPMs
I wouldn't be afraid to tweak a prop with what ever, hair drier and leather gloves, twisting some pitch back in the prop. What have you got to loose with a prop your going to mount on the wall for a conversation piece. Will it get brittle and snap? Melt down in a glob?  
2020-5-2
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

No issues with mine fortunately.
2020-5-2
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 5-1 13:20
I think your last statement shows the lengths you will go to to try prove that props caused descents on their own.
It’s a fact that all drone pilots check their props by looking at them, they don’t X-ray them and they don’t assay them to check how hot the plastic got before molding them.
So trying to ridicule is not going to convince anyone you somehow strict gold.

...I flew many missions with top and bottom of blade about to separate...leading edge had very definitive indications to imminent failure...lol, we used massive blade tapes, nonetheless...the machine is still flyable to safety.

So, I think izzzz more than blade prob...

Scientists...your opinion?

2020-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans44e6c056 Posted at 5-2 07:53
Im afraid the same here New MM 1 flight, then update FW to the 500 one and  motor speed error on rear left with perfect blades

My conclusion is that this is too much of a coincidence I mean what are the odds for this to be anything other than one of these two options?

You’re right common sense should prevail around here , to many new users getting message that prop is bad when clearly it’s not, and common sense would tell you in this situation warning is set to fine and it wouldn’t be the first warning I’ve seen set this way.

But I’m afraid Common sense is not very common at dji .
2020-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans1cafe718 Posted at 5-2 14:06
...I flew many missions with top and bottom of blade about to separate...leading edge had very definitive indications to imminent failure...lol, we used massive blade tapes, nonetheless...the machine is still flyable to safety.

So, I think izzzz more than blade prob...

I think what we have seen since last FW update is No uncontrolled descents and I believe there were changes and mostly optimizations improved and it clearly shows in how the craft flys, we know many have just ignored the warning and updated through assistant, and many who normally update through assistant never got the “warning” so I think we need wait and see if descents disappear it’s most likely that there was more to this than bad props.
2020-5-2
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 5-2 14:28
I think what we have seen since last FW update is No uncontrolled descents and I believe there were changes and mostly optimizations improved and it clearly shows in how the craft flys, we know many have just ignored the warning and updated through assistant, and many who normally update through assistant never got the “warning” so I think we need wait and see if descents disappear it’s most likely that there was more to this than bad props.

...yep...no more "uncommanded" descents reported since last fw....time will tell.
2020-5-2
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 5-2 14:28

...thx for very exp response as usual.

2020-5-2
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

No issues what so ever, no crashes, not folded when not in use, props not damaged.  Flew straight up to take a photo after update, got this error.  Never had any issues until today.  This is a result of the firmware update.  Ah well, I’ll wait for the Air 2 to arrive
2020-5-2
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I did firmware refresh, and it did not help. Although I was hesitant that changing the props would fix the problem, I decided to try something different. I switched the props "left rear" with the "right front" and took the drone for a test. I tested the drone for the entire time the fully charged battery allowed me, and the error did not appear (I got a strong wind warning, but that's it). Though I did not change the props, I only switched them. I was not sure what made the error go away. My hypothesis was I would see the error again but in the right front motor. I did not bend or twist the props at all.
2020-5-2
Use props
djiuser_Mzv90gqKwFHu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 527608 ft
United States

I got the stupid error first flight after FW update. Changed the props on the rear left with NEW props. Made a test flight where I wanted to use a full battery and it was going well but after 10 minutes got the error again. In my case, it's not the props. Come on DJI fix this. I was going to upgrade to an Air 2 and sell my mini but I can't while it's getting this error.
2020-5-2
Use props
djiuser_IJihTqSKAuUs
New

United Kingdom

djiuser_yMqaIYQJmclK Posted at 4-24 12:17
Had same problem today.changed props did a test flight no more warnings . It’s strange after new firmware this happens.

I bet it comes back go around for 10 mins and high etc .. same thing happened again.. both rears changed to new props.good luck
2020-5-3
Use props
EHEA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 363960 ft
Germany

I'm kind of puzzled by people arguing repeatedly that , because it's always the rear left props, it cannot be a real problem and must be some problem with the software.

The front and rear props are different because they are in a different storage position when folded up. And the left and right rear props are actually different parts (designed for (counter) clockwise rotation respectively). So I can totally believe that there is (or was)  actuially a problem with the props manufactured for the left rear engine, like a  problem to be less resistant to bending when folded up, for example.

And yes, of course you can get rid of the warning by downgrading FW because the warning is a new feature. You can avoid any problems with pesky  "you are not buckled up " warnings by buying a vintage car without seat belts :-)

Just my 2 cents.

2020-5-3
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.3
Flight distance : 235768 ft
Germany

Same error with my drone. Got it new two weeks ago and it did never crash or anything close to it. The worst it has seen was a little bit of wind.
After like 1 hour of flying after upgrading the firmware, the error came up.

I really can't believe I did anything that would damage the props. They also look absolutely fine as far as I can tell...
I always checked the position of the props before I put the drone into the case.

I still hesitate to swap the props because I don't believe it is a coincidence that so many people see this issue.
Will wait a few days for some sort of reasonable statement from DJI regarding this issue. If nothing comes up I will send the drone back to the seller.
2020-5-3
Use props
Atkos
New
Switzerland

Did a third flight today, everything is in package, props are guarded. A bit of wind, sure, no error on drone, firmware got updated and as others stated, couple of minutes later same error popped up. Prior to the error, drone was making weird noises, which I thought it was struggling against the wind. I maintained the flight over my head (as i'm using Mini more like flycam, so no long flights). Motor in question is rear right, I thought i hit a bug or something when it popped up, so immediately reduced the altitude and flew it back almost over ground. Thankfully i was on open area.

One thing i did noticed though, prop in question was slightly bent, which let me believe it was accident on air, involving a small object. I accidently found this thread while looking for props, lol.

It might be possible, that one of the motors are not synced so damaging props or motor itself after the software update, so props or motors are permanently overloaded or damaged, i'm not sure.

I'm keeping the drone as it is after seeing this thread, aka with allegedly broken prop, waiting to see what will happen with this.

2020-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules