MOTOR SPEED ERROR AFTER 04/2020 FIRMWARE
59491 977 2020-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-24 12:02
It isn't incorrect. It is just a 4th observation that deepens the mystery. People have been replacing props with new props and the error goes away. Not switching. Replacing. And as far as conspiracy theories go, why wouldn't DJI not be aware of the issue? You think they patched the firmware yesterday? They have been working on this patch since the last patch, and testing it a lot. And I am sure they will tweak it. I don't know why you think that is shady. It sounds normal to me. What would not be shady? To ignore it completely? What is shady about patching firmware?

People have been replacing props with new props and the error goes away. Not switching. Replacing.

Which would confirm the Props (matched set of blades) are defective or being deformed.  Whether it be from factory, caused by bad DJI storage cases, or improper storage.  Like being shoved into a backpack without carrying case.

2020-4-24
Use props
djiuser_PRDcRGAU1S0T
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10105 ft
Lithuania

Seu Pereira Posted at 4-24 13:13
What is this DJI Assistant 2? I just saw it at Play Store, but is it original from DJI? It says it's Ronin Assistant... I'm kindda confused here...

Thanks in advanced!

It's a PC software, download it from DJI
2020-4-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

fans1cafe718 Posted at 4-24 13:07
...hmmm, sounds like an excellent idea to refresh firmware before changing/wasting good props
...btw, did you originaly update via the app?

Yes. And it said it was done.
2020-4-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-24 13:15
Yes. And it said it was done.

I did play with the camera, but I didn't fly it. It was after I connected it to assistant that it said my firmware wasn't right.
2020-4-24
Use props
djiuser_yMqaIYQJmclK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11975 ft
United Kingdom

fans1cafe718 Posted at 4-24 12:47
Nice that the error went away easily.

Did you notice anything particular on the old props?

I thought I would just replace props as I’ve had few collisions lol.but the problem only started after the new firmware update
2020-4-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-24 13:14
People have been replacing props with new props and the error goes away. Not switching. Replacing.

Which would confirm the Props (matched set of blades) are defective or being deformed.  Whether it be from factory, caused by bad DJI storage cases, or improper storage.  Like being shoved into a backpack without carrying case.

Here is my take on it, and I have only had my MM for 2 weeks and haven't had the misfortune of experiencing this issue...

1. These drones (the other models as well) rely solely on their motors and props and the condition of the props is very important.

2. Possibly, the performance envelope is even narrower with the MM.

3. The original firmware (prior to this release) drastically auto descended at some point when there were too many max power errors.

4. This release (hopefully) does not auto descend, but informs the user which prop(s) are causing the max power errors.

5. More tweaking is needed.

I do agree partially with you that not all the new props are the same. I guess I disagree that they are actually "bad". The reason I disagree is that the users flew the drones and if the messages and uncommanded descents hadn't occurred, then they wouldn't have known.

If you have to replace props every two weeks to get the message to go away, then that is no good. But I think it can be tweaked in software. I am somewhat concerned that even this realease is being so picky on having perfect props. I mean, it is a godsend if it doesn't do an uncommanded descent. But still, why do the props have to be perfect not to get errors? I am thinking that the FW needs further tweaking. But maybe there was a bad batch of props (bad = not perfect) and when the users replace them the errors are no more.

2020-4-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-24 13:39
Here is my take on it, and I have only had my MM for 2 weeks and haven't had the misfortune of experiencing this issue...

1. These drones (the other models as well) rely solely on their motors and props and the condition of the props is very important.

Oh, and maybe the update process is causing the issues. Updating via the app versus updating via dji assistant. That would suck. They fixed the problem only to have a second unrelated problem screw up the fix.
2020-4-24
Use props
Seu Pereira
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8620407 ft
Brazil

Deucalion Posted at 4-24 13:42
Oh, and maybe the update process is causing the issues. Updating via the app versus updating via dji assistant. That would suck. They fixed the problem only to have a second unrelated problem screw up the fix.

I don't know... first it said to me:

rear right prop

after reboot:

rear left prop

See? I did nothing but reboot the machine and fly again. It's firmware issue. I hope they fix it as soon as possible.
2020-4-24
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

Seu Pereira Posted at 4-24 14:06

rear right prop

I tend to agree, yes.
I would definitely refresh firmware via DJI Assitant (not phone app) before changing good props...
2020-4-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

Seu Pereira Posted at 4-24 14:06

rear right prop

did you try replacing the props?
2020-4-24
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-24 13:39
Here is my take on it, and I have only had my MM for 2 weeks and haven't had the misfortune of experiencing this issue...

1. These drones (the other models as well) rely solely on their motors and props and the condition of the props is very important.

That's exactly what I think DJI did. The firmware can easily spot under-performing props by looking at the RPMs, similarly to what some basic TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems) do, relying on the ABS sensors.
DJI is not telling us whether there's a batch of bad props around or whether props eventually lose their shape if stored improperly (the rear props are obviously more at risk, as they end up under the AC when the arms are folded in), but this new addition to the firmware really seems to give us a early warning that something is not right.
I doubt props go bad on their own, under regular use, as there's plenty of users here who have put lots of miles on their MMs, and are still running the original props.
2020-4-24
Use props
fjelsten
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1949009 ft
Denmark

Jques78PL Posted at 4-24 07:38
I have the same problem after firmware update, the drone reports speed error of the left rear motor.
Everything was fine before the update.

Mine too. After change of props the error has gone away.
2020-4-24
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Finally we get to see the real extent of the problem... many users were fully unaware of their MM props status.

I am glad DJI has managed to find a way to warn you... now it's totally up to them, no excuses anymore. They've been informed and warned in the most effective and understandable way possibile, up to single motor indications.

Anyway... it's a bit disheartening to see that despite our best efforts, how many failed to realize the problem from ESC notices and comparative inspection of the props.
2020-4-24
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

m80116 Posted at 4-24 15:01
Finally we get to see the real extent of the problem... many users were fully unaware of their MM props status.

I am glad DJI has managed to find a way to warn you... now it's totally up to them, no excuses anymore. They've been informed and warned in the most effective and understandable way possibile, up to single motor indications.

...did you have this problem?
2020-4-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

m80116 Posted at 4-24 15:01

Actually, does anyone know what happens if you ignore the messages? Do you get 5 minutes less battery life? 5 mph less speed? Does the drone eventually catch fire? Or do you keep flying and when you get around to it, put on a new set of propellers?
2020-4-24
Use props
Unstable
lvl.1
Lithuania

I agree it's a nice feature to warn users if their props are damaged or so (sorry, I dont even know if that existed before, owning MM for 3 days yet) and need to be replaced. But what makes me wonder is why the heck the props are BAD after single flight?? There must be a reason.
2020-4-24
Use props
Unstable
lvl.1
Lithuania

Deucalion Posted at 4-24 15:25
Actually, does anyone know what happens if you ignore the messages? Do you get 5 minutes less battery life? 5 mph less speed? Does the drone eventually catch fire? Or do you keep flying and when you get around to it, put on a new set of propellors?

I believe not too many people want to try
2020-4-24
Use props
djiuser_ccD6RybJdhfq
lvl.1

Canada

How do you fix it. It’s not the props, swapped them together still the same motor side. Yesterday was working great....
2020-4-24
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

djiuser_ccD6RybJdhfq Posted at 4-24 16:04
How do you fix it. It’s not the props, swapped them together still the same motor side. Yesterday was working great....

Try refresh firmware via DJI Assistant...let us know.
2020-4-24
Use props
JP2DJI
lvl.1

Canada

fans1cafe718 Posted at 4-24 16:06
Try refresh firmware via DJI Assistant...let us know.

Just plug the drone in the computer and when the app detected the drone, it says incompatible firmware and it refreshed it.

Its a bit dark but I will try it out and see.
2020-4-24
Use props
Seu Pereira
lvl.2
Brazil

Deucalion Posted at 4-24 14:17
did you try replacing the props?

nope. each should I change? rear left or right (as each flight it said one was bad)?

probably I will change both. But first I wanna know if the firmware is bugged, cause I think I only have the last pair and I don't have a place to buy original props here in Brasil.
2020-4-24
Use props
Seu Pereira
lvl.2
Brazil

Actually, does anyone know what happens if you ignore the messages? Do you get 5 minutes less battery life? 5 mph less speed? Does the drone eventually catch fire? Or do you keep flying and when you get around to it, put on a new set of propellers?

Ignore the message! that's what I'll do tomorrow. Just before landing here, I watched the drone's fly. Watched closely it stoped in the air right in front of me. Everything looks normal, stable. I'll fly as planned and will let you know if it burned or something.
2020-4-24
Use props
Seu Pereira
lvl.2
Brazil

If their case hurt the props, then they need to do a recall and change our cases. What do you think?
2020-4-24
Use props
JP2DJI
lvl.1

Canada

JP2DJI Posted at 4-24 16:18
Just plug the drone in the computer and when the app detected the drone, it says incompatible firmware and it refreshed it.

Its a bit dark but I will try it out and see.

Still the same thing and when I took off, it was very unstable. It then stabilized. I flew for like 5 minutes and the message came back.

I will downgrade and tell you if it fix it.
2020-4-24
Use props
Seu Pereira
lvl.2
Brazil

fans1cafe718 Posted at 4-24 14:12
I tend to agree, yes.
I would definitely refresh firmware via DJI Assitant (not phone app) before changing good props...

Yeah, the problem is that DJI Assistant 2 is not connecting to my Mavic Mini ....

I use macOS 10.13.6 and have just downloaded the latest version of DJI Assistant 2...

Firmware, updates.... don't update anything the day before you have a job.
2020-4-24
Use props
JP2DJI
lvl.1

Canada

JP2DJI Posted at 4-24 16:28
Still the same thing and when I took off, it was very unstable. It then stabilized. I flew for like 5 minutes and the message came back.

I will downgrade and tell you if it fix it.

99% sure it's the update. Just downgraded and it was 100% functional. I will try to run now the update from the computer to see if it helps. Maybe it was a corrupted image of the firmware on some of their server.
2020-4-24
Use props
JP2DJI
lvl.1

Canada

JP2DJI Posted at 4-24 16:36
99% sure it's the update. Just downgraded and it was 100% functional. I will try to run now the update from the computer to see if it helps. Maybe it was a corrupted image of the firmware on some of their server.

That fixed it, so if refresh doesn't work, try to downgrade and update after. I flew for 10 minutes without any issues.

So mobile update (or update yesterday) was corrupted. I will try longer tomorrow to confirm that all is good.

Hopefully that was it !!!
2020-4-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

Seu Pereira Posted at 4-24 16:29
Yeah, the problem is that DJI Assistant 2 is not connecting to my Mavic Mini ....

I use macOS 10.13.6 and have just downloaded the latest version of DJI Assistant 2...

I used a Mac with Dji Assistant, I am running 10.15.4.

1, You should have Dji Assistant running on the Mac.
2. Power on the drone.
3. Plug the drone into the mac's USB port within 20 seconds.
2020-4-24
Use props
djiuser_LpSPRqwvLBmp
lvl.1

Canada

i had the same messages this afternoon... i updated firmware in the field over my phones data connection then hotspot to y "fly-phone" so there were two way for the data to get strange i suppose.
when i reran the update at home on my PC it said something about components not all being of the same firmware and suggested reloading it.... it was pretty quick for me to catch.... it may have just been whining about the fresh "un updated" battery i put in when i got here...
so hopefully a test flight tomorrow will show no errors like i saw today ;)
2020-4-24
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Actually, does anyone know what happens if you ignore the messages? Do you get 5 minutes less battery life? 5 mph less speed? Does the drone eventually catch fire? Or do you keep flying and when you get around to it, put on a new set of propellers?

There are reports of uncommanded descents, and the theory is that they could be related to props. DJI never acknowledged the problem, but here on the forum they always recommended to replace the props in those situations.

Just in a couple days, we've seen quite a few people reporting here that their MM was flying just fine before the firmware update, and now it throws this Motor Error warning. It's possible DJI went a bit too far (and now the MM is very picky on props) but it's also possible that there are this many MMs around with defective props. Again, maybe it's an entire batch, or maybe it's how they are stored, I doubt we will ever get clarity from DJI on this. For sure, they'll end up selling lots of MM props, in these coming days!

2020-4-24
Use props
mattdswartz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21604 ft
United States

djiuser_yMqaIYQJmclK Posted at 4-24 12:17
Had same problem today.changed props did a test flight no more warnings . It’s strange after new firmware this happens.

Agreed. Mine happened after a firmware update too.
2020-4-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

This all sounds like a beta test of the firmware. Not the place for that.
2020-4-24
Use props
Jym
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398927 ft
United States

Looks like you took off in your house. I did the same today and got that error right away. I said F it and did a flight anyway, from my apt balcony. Everything worked fine but the error was there the whole time.

I landed it eventually, turned the drone off/on, and no more errors. Didn’t change the props which are fine. I even flew it around for a while in the house with the prop guards on. No error!

Seems like a software bug. I’m wondering if it will pop back up. I’ll be out trying to do a flight or two tomorrow.
2020-4-24
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I did the firmware update, the 3 batteries are also updated, I do not receive those error messages about propellers or motors, I have tried to fly with the 3 batteries, there are no error messages either
2020-4-25
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

i would try reistall Firmware to see if problem persist ..
2020-4-25
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

maybe people are changing propellers when in reality, the problem is not that ...
2020-4-25
Use props
Steven So
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10010 ft
Hong Kong

Seu Pereira Posted at 4-24 13:13
What is this DJI Assistant 2? I just saw it at Play Store, but is it original from DJI? It says it's Ronin Assistant... I'm kindda confused here...

Thanks in advanced!

https://www.dji.com/hk/downloads ... ant-dji-2-for-mavic
2020-4-25
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

2020-4-25
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

JetSam Posted at 4-25 02:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlQ99gvijLg

...hi, thx for video...did you use DJI Assistant (computer) at any point for either refresh or downgrade/upgrade firmware or used always your phone app...?
2020-4-25
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

fans1cafe718 Posted at 4-25 02:41
...hi, thx for video...did you use DJI Assistant (computer) at any point for either refresh or downgrade/upgrade firmware or used always your phone app...?

i did the update via Dji Fly and Mobile device
2020-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules