59386 977 2020-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

djiuser_lE4yPBXvSHg1 Posted at 5-30 11:19
I have same issue after firmware update on the left rear motor. Considering this is the second flight in total with no crash at all. I suppose this is a problem given by the last update

You can check for yourself if it's a FW issue, or a bad prop:

Click here to check Motor RPM.

Do the hover test we started using from post 185: indoor, bright light (for the Vision System to work well), auto-takeoff, hover without touching the controls for 2-3 minutes, auto-land. You can upload the .Dat and have one of us review it or follow the instructions to Load the DAT file into CsvView, take a screen shot of the motor speeds or export the log to CSV, then calculate averages using the formula you will find on that thread.
With that specific test, good props average around 9400-9600 RPMs. We have seen props averaging in the 10200-10600 range without triggering any warning, so if you're below these numbers you should be good. If you're above that, your call.... I replaced props on my Left Rear motor because it was spinning higher than the others... and new props made a big difference. I never got a single warning and my MM has always worked well, yet the data showed that those props were not optimal, so I replaced them.

EDIT: I cleaned up 120ccpm's instructions a little bit but this will tell you what you want to know.
2020-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-30 11:58
You can check for yourself if it's a FW issue, or a bad prop:

Click here to check Motor RPM.

Maybe you should check this post, it seems that recommendation for hovering was a bit more than the information you all were giving out, it seems on many occasions props showing revs over 10000 were classed as bad props but recommended revs 10200 . Maybe back to the drawing board.As I read many posts suggesting over 10000 was not good but a rush to change such posts it's getting confused. It seems that one simple post got it bang on, but it took two threads almost 35 pages before they cottoned on .

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =214705&pid=2173053
2020-5-30
Use props
Ralle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 12:10
Maybe you should check this post, it seems that recommendation for hovering was a bit more than the information you all were giving out, it seems on many occasions props showing revs over 10000 were classed as bad props but recommended revs 10200 . Maybe back to the drawing board.As I read many posts suggesting over 10000 was not good but a rush to change such posts it's getting confused. It seems that one simple post got it bang on, but it took two threads almost 35 pages before they cottoned on .

Mini's left foot remains higher
when right.
I can't keep the propellers . Dji as instructed.The propeller had gone flat

2020-5-30
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 12:10
Maybe you should check this post, it seems that recommendation for hovering was a bit more than the information you all were giving out, it seems on many occasions props showing revs over 10000 were classed as bad props but recommended revs 10200 . Maybe back to the drawing board.As I read many posts suggesting over 10000 was not good but a rush to change such posts it's getting confused. It seems that one simple post got it bang on, but it took two threads almost 35 pages before they cottoned on .

/facepalm If you think those numbers are absolute you are a bigger idiot then many of us have thought.

EDIT: I can do better then this, here's page 6 hover rpm results  You will find that we have begone averaging out props and have found the following:

120ccpm's Hover Test
# New Left Back props:
Right Front: 9582 RPMs
Left Front: 9386 RPMs
Left Back: 9431 RPMs
Right Back: 9960 RPMs

Zbip57's Hover Test
With fresh L.Front, L.Rear, & R.Rear blades.  R.Front remains original;
R.Front - 9756
L.Front - 9603
L.Back -  9974
R.Back -  9564

Markforrester99's Hover Test (@ Carbon props)
R.Front - 10814
L.Front - 10611
L.Back -  10820
R.Back -  10071

itchyeyeballs Before
Motor:Speed: RFront = 10071.57487
Motor:Speed: LFront = 10070.7655
Motor:Speed: LBack = 11816.18507
Motor:Speed: RBack = 9331.206051

itchyeyeballs After
Motor:Speed: RFront = 9731.233112
Motor:Speed: LFront = 10380.14529
Motor:Speed: LBack = 9367.782002
Motor:Speed: RBack = 9550.895361

My own
Right Front :10281
Left Front   :10366
Left Rear    :10478
Right Rear  :9936

Wow would you look at that, the rpm varies almost like there's more variables to RPM such as weight or Pitch of the props. If we average out the above it's within DJI's SPECS so I don't know what you are talking about. If you have read anything from our RPM test you would know we don't suggest changing the props just because they are hovering at 10K.
2020-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-30 15:01
/facepalm If you think those numbers are absolute you are a bigger idiot then many of us have thought.

EDIT: I can do better then this, here's page 6 hover rpm results  You will find that we have begone averaging out props and have found the following:

You need to go back and read what was said about props running over 10000, it seems like your making this up as you go. You will also read that all was blamed on bad dji props bad batches etc, but we are now seeing same warnings and results with third party props, so does this mean that the manufacturing of third party props had also invisible damage. I think you can also find a post from 120 where he says that third party props should show that indeed dji props were invisibly damaged, looks like that also was wrong.
And I go back to what I advised all which was to examine props for damage if they were damaged throw them out .
2020-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-30 15:01

The work 120ccpm, Zbip57, Markforrester99, itcheyeblass, and you did all deserve acknowledgement.  

RPM testing you guys did, resulting in comparisons between brand new MM's with factory installed blades, flown MM's with well used blades, and with kit spare blades; coupled to known science of prop lift (RPM, size, & pitch of Prop) - really help leed back to MM storage problem with cases.

Do give DJI credit for incorporating FW test into MM that would flag Bad props (flattened or loss of pitch), as a result of storing MM in offical case.

Does beg questions:
What will DJI suggest to do about blades getting bent when stored as shown in DJI factory MM cases?  

Will MM owners get Free sets of blades to compensate for Bad blades as result of storing in factory cases?

2020-5-30
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

I have tried everything, refreshing, downgrading and upgrading again... I eventually kept the previous version until DJI provides 2 things :
- a good way to preserve props during stocking them or make them less flexible.
- a prop issue sensitivity manual setting, or simply a way to shut this specific alarm off.

I am annoyed since I am forced to face known mishaps and the absence of video settings.
Come on DJI, please ACT.
Thank you.
2020-5-30
Use props
djiuser_rhjEitjsQ5gD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8599 ft
Spain

I had the same problem, be sure to update the firmware of all batteries
2020-5-31
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-30 19:33
The work 120ccpm, Zbip57, Markforrester99, itcheyeblass, and you did all deserve acknowledgement.  

RPM testing you guys did, resulting in comparisons between brand new MM's with factory installed blades, flown MM's with well used blades, and with kit spare blades; coupled to known science of prop lift (RPM, size, & pitch of Prop) - really help leed back to MM storage problem with cases.

@Hedge Thank you, I'm sure the others appreciate it.

@Hall
"You will also read that all was blamed on bad dji props bad batches etc, but we are now seeing same warnings and results with third party props, so does this mean that the manufacturing of third party props had also invisible damage."

1: It's been proven that props are deforming, weather it's the case, improper storage, from factory, or whatever else, we know that props are becoming flat and have shown via rpm information the lack of performance they have. I think it's safe to say that there aren't any bad batches, all the props for the mini are vulnerable to deformation.

2. DJI only recently has come out to identify issues with props, do you think if DJI only just came out with information that any 3rd party manufacture was aware of the issues with these props? Very unlikely, as the mini has been out for 7 months and many 3rd party accessorizes already exist and the first being props. So If these companies Cloned the props using the same measurements, weight, and pitch to produce these carbon copies they unfortunately they are going to be exposed to the same vulnerabilities that DJI is discovering now with it's 1st party props.

3. What invisible damage? Can you not visually SEE a flat prop? If the props has the incorrect pitch that means it's "damaged" because it's not going to perform like the other non deformed props. We have dozens of pictures now showing that DJI's own storage recommendations are incorrect and from people testing there own idea's have found that even storing the drone on a table exposes them to deformation.

What's the Solution you ask? Improve the design, or use a better material. DJI could shorten the props 1-2mm's to increase the rigidity of the props which will help hold formation, DJI could also add a little more material thickness to also help it resist deformation.

If we look at the Carbon Fiber props that exist, they are the same design as the plastics clones but are made from a better, stronger material that's less likely to deform and it performs near the same as the originals. If it wasn't for the Carbon Fiber these props to would be exposed to the same deformation as the original and 3rd party props, until one of these companies actually improves on DJI's design all replacements are exposed to same weaknesses and vulnerabilities.

Improved 3rd party options exist for the larger phantom/mavic series so it's only time before we see companies experimenting with prop designs for the mavic mini. If you're going to ask what improvements have been made by 3rd party I'll give you some examples, the material and pitch, some props performing much quieter the factory because they could remove some pitch at the cost of losing some thrust but people want a quieter drone so they are willing to give up X performance for noise benefits. Same but in reverse, some users wanted increased thrust and lifting capabilities so more aggressive pitched props were released that improve upon what the Factory props couldn't produce.

So if any of these 3rd parties are paying any attention at all we should be seeing V2 props that aren't exposed to the same vulnerabilities as DJI's are.
2020-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-31 05:22
@Hedge Thank you, I'm sure the others appreciate it.

"What's the Solution you ask? "

Perhaps not the Solution, but I do believe Zbip57's suggested Sunnylife Protective storage case is a work around.  
Rear props are not folded under belly of MM with Sunnylife case.  Which does two things.
1) It prevents props from moving to where they can get between MM and MM's case belly support. - One member suggested cutting belly support out?
2) Rear props are no longer bent to where one side goes under other.  Which can't be good for either pitch of blades or angle of blades coming off the hub.

Another workaround, Don't store MM in it's case, leave it out with arms unfolded?

Solution may be a combination of several things.
1) Continued tweaking of FW to:
a) better help pilot identify bad blade set, possibly with a visual on App screen.
b) reduce number of false postives
c) flag more than one bad blade set at a time, reducing user frustration

2) Change to storage
a) correct and clarify how to of storing MM; being instruction label is confusing / wrong
b) different storage MM storage case all together

3) Blade improvements
a) different blade design reducing need to bend blades for storage - assuming no storage case changes
b) different blade material, possible carbon composite - which is better at rebounding, along with being both strong and lite in weight

4) Better communications on changes to .500 FW - all FW updates regardless of model need more information and details
a) Improved instructions on what to do when FW flags blades as bad
b) Pictures with details as to how blades should be reshaped and when to trash
c) explanation from DJI as to why Left Rear is normally flagged first - Possibly explanation; left rear set of blades is tucked under right rear blades

2020-5-31
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-31 10:22
1/ was the concoction derived by HT and 120, and it was my continued argument all through this saga. But botH of these guys came up with X-raying props bad batches, invisibly bad props, and insisting that everyone had some bad props. And they vehemently hammered this home. So first new users are faced with these ridiculous unproven notions, I have known HT from this forum for a long time, his MO here is nothing else but to try create hysteria, he has done it on Mavic air forum on M2P forum M2Z forum, mostly with these so far out of town ridiculous notions. He’s done exactly the same here and he has led the way in putting forward his made up ridiculous unproven notions. It’s what he does. But he doesn’t own a Mavic mini, he doesn’t own an M2P or an M2Z . His interest is to try to get others to join in with his ridiculous notions and to start as much consternation as he can. My money is on him now moving to Air2 forum to begin trying to create hysteria.
My objections to this are simple, it has the effect of turning new users off flying and this can be seen in posts all over the forum.

You are clearly blinded by your own hate for a forum member (HedgeTrimmer), to really see what I and others have been saying about "bad props", and what the hover test really is about. You lack the intellectual honesty to review the facts we presented, simply because HT seems to agree with us.
You continue to dispute evidence, quote sentences we never wrote, turn everything into a war of words, and when everything fails, you dismiss everything as "ridiculous". I'm starting to believe that's all you're capable of.
2020-6-1
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

You continue to dispute evidence, quote sentences we never wrote, turn  everything into a war of words, and when everything fails, you dismiss  everything as "ridiculous".

Trying to hold any reasonable scientific debate with that funny guy is a waste of time.  It makes me think of this hilarious video of Matt Inman "proving" the existence of Jibbers Crabst.  The translator is my favourite.

2020-6-2
Use props
fans568a16dd
lvl.2

Sweden

My wild guess it is a qc problem, not a fw issue, as mine had that issue out of the box.
My story in brief: Bought a new MM some weeks ago and before first flight both the drone and tx were updated from 1.00.40 to 1.00.50.
During the first flight I did not pay attention to my phone screen at all due to shooting conditions but when Id landed the left rear beeped and I thought of some overheat issue but we had to wrap it up leave.
Second session was on a very calm evening shortly before sunset. I took off gently and went thru some settings with the drone hovering for a minute or so. Then I climbed to some 10-15 ft but when I then started to push it I got the yellow dialog from the app. But I did not read it beccause I thought the light was insufficent and I could hear some inconsequential sound and stared at the drone while gently taking it in for landing. It sounded like somewhere in between a stalling prop before fluttering. It never flutterred, but have you eg ever flown any indoor 3D plane with a 2S setup on 3S you've might have encountered something like that.
Well, my first thought was Ive somehow cracked a prop in transport or something. Took it down and examined all props but they were all as new. Second flight and this time I read the yellow popup stuff about an over-revving motor. Landed and went thru the props again and did actually make a 3rd attempt after rebooting everything. Same result of course, could fly around floating on air, but as soon as I tried to push it I could hear the sound from the props was sinister and landed again.
At home I couldnt find any damage on the props but when gently lifting the drone prop by prop I could see the ccw's felt thinner and bent more so I ordered new props.
Still waiting for new props and havent been fiddling with the MM since, as I usually shoot with the Mavic Air and do leisure flying with some FPV and 3D drones.

Well, I havent had time for any deeper examination, thats it, but then I found some threads and it suddenly seemed like a qc issue or something - dji should have alerted as every drone has to be registered anyway. The prop design is a bit weak, Id rather seen something like the spark or mavic air qr props instead. An issue like this could eg cause nice flyaways or submarines, as I usually have some water involved when filming.

My consideration: Dont fly with the issue present. Its nasty. Havent had issues on drones but on planes with props cracking, nose and/ or motor flown away etc.
2020-6-11
Use props
djiuser_kcndFbNrHjMb
New

Ireland

I've had to replace both sets of rear props in the last month. First the rear right and then the rear left about a week later.

When the rear right showed the error, the Mini didn't sound normal, so I landed and changed the props even though they looked perfect.  With the rear left went, there was no change in the sound but I changed props anyway, again even though there was no obvious damage.

Since changing, the errors haven't returned and the mini is flying well.
I'm wondering if the issue is to do with the DJI case and how the mini sits in it.
2020-6-16
Use props
kbzperu
New

United States

This happened mid air and I had spare props but replacing them didn't help. Tech support could not resolve it over the phone and I had to send my drone in for repair. After 3 weeks, they sent me a replacement drone. This new drone also needed the firmware update and I hesitated and waited a month before installing it, and voila it did again. I called tech support and after refreshing the firmware update twice on the drone and once on the controller, the error went away and I am back flying. Good luck!!
2020-6-19
Use props
djiuser_zvx2tMCa2BHr
New

Germany

Hello, i have this drone for 3 weeks, i never crash it, props are in very good condition, i updated to latest firmware since day 1, batteries firmware latest version as well, today i got the "propeller speed too high" and code 30246 error. Now i see so many ppl have the same issue, i mean there are 26 pages here alone, is DJI going to do something about it? I'm supposed  to change props and refresh firmware and stuff every 3 weeks ? This is not good DJI, not good. Release new firmware, change the case design, make stronger props, find whats wrong and fix it somehow, its almost July.
2020-6-21
Use props
djiuser_I5plR8jbno2y
New

Germany

ich habe das selbe Problem wie die anderen, Heute wollte ich fliegen, zuerst wollte eine Aktualisierung von Software haben, danach hatte ich ESC Firmware fehler, der linke hintere Rotor fin an zu piepsen, einmal einfach nach paar minuten abgestürzt. Fehler bleibt immer hinten links.alles nach update
2020-8-6
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

Read posts #903-916, and 922-926, a couple pages back in this thread for an explanation with photos of why the props are becoming deformed.
2020-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules