Motorola G5 Plus with DJI Fly App - SOLUTION!
10492 9 2020-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
insanesniper
lvl.1
Flight distance : 237221 ft
Australia

Hi guys,

Like many of you, I was also pretty annoyed to find my MORE than capable Motorola G5 Plus to not allow the download and running of the DJI Fly app from the Google Play store, of course this was AFTER I received my Mavic Mini.

The issue is, although the Motorola G5 Plus IS in-fact a 64bit processor, Motorola designed the factory ROM in 32bit. And THAT is the problem, the DJI Fly app sees a 32bit operating system and says 'NOPE!'.

Well, not a problem any more if you have a little bit of technical ability.

All modern day Android ROM's are built on 64bit, meaning you simply need to install a 64bit ROM to suit your device and the app will be available to install and run as intended.

I personally had success with the Motorola G5 Plus (XT1685), by flashing a 64bit ROM  called Pixel Experience which installs Android 10 and allows DJI Fly app  to be installed from the standard Google Play app.

Basically it turns your Motorola G5 Plus into a Google Pixel with 64bit  software to suit our 64bit hardware, with all the features of Android  10.

This involves the following:
1. Unlocking the MotoG5 boot loader (This is supported by Motorola and they provide all required information on their website to do this).

2. Installing TWRP Recovery Console on the device
3. Flashing/Installing the Pixel Experience ROM that suits your device.

***FIRSTLY, and ultimately, I am not responsible for any failures you may have, (although would be extremely rare), but I'm MORE than happy to help with questions etc.***

*YOU SHOULD make a BACKUP of all your phone data, files, photos, etc, as the procedure will effectively wipe all personal data.

*YOU MUST ensure all ROM/flashing files are for YOUR specific device.
*YOU MUST follow ALL instructions that you find by the developers and the XDA forum.
*ALL of the above tools required are FREE and most information can be found via a simple google search and XDA forums.

The entire process shouldnt take more than 1 hour to acheive, it is really quite easy and the result is worth every second it takes you.

Flew my Mavic Mini thismorning using my Moto G5 Plus with the new Android 10 Pixel Experience, and it was faultless!

Any questions, I'm happy to help!

2020-4-23
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

This is great, thanks for posting, it gives me hope for getting Fly to work on my Motorola G5S - do you (or does anyone else) know if the above will work on the G5S and allow Fly to run correctly?

A specs comparison of the G5S and the G5 Plus can be found by googling -

moto g5 plus g5s plus comparison

then selecting the link to gsmarena dot com

2020-4-24
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Argh, error in my post above and I can't edit it, the data to be googled should be -

moto g5s g5 plus comparison

then select the gsmarena link
2020-4-24
Use props
insanesniper
lvl.1
Australia

Hi RCPilot,

Looking up the processor, although slightly slower in comparison to the G5+ (2.0ghz), the G5S (1.4ghz), it definitely has a 64bit processor. Therefore, the major part of the hurdle is a pass! :-)

Wikipedia states:
"The ARM Cortex-A53 is one of the first two microarchitectures implementing the ARMv8-A 64-bit instruction set designed by ARM Holdings' Cambridge design centre. The Cortex-A53 is a 2-wide decode superscalar processor, capable of dual-issuing some instructions."

It also appears that the G5S Pixel Experience ROM with Android 9 (Pie) is available
Pixel Experience - G5S - Montana

Just make sure you do full backups prior to trying anything, photos, contacts, etc....

*When you have your final success and install the DJI Fly app, I would disable the cache feature in the app as it puts added strain on your phone through the app.

Outside of that, fingers crossed you will have a Moto G5S running the latest Android 9, with DJI Fly!

Mate, I genuinely hope you have the same success that I did. Here to help with any questions you have along the way.
2020-4-24
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks a bunch, it sounds promising! I'll see if I can load Pixel Experience and report back here.
2020-4-24
Use props
insanesniper
lvl.1
Australia

Also, Motorola has a backup software tool available called Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant (LMSA)

It is worth using this first, as it will create its own image of your entire phone and data, should you ever need to put it all back on.

*keep in mind, this will create a single image file, which is useless later on and doesnt allow you to extract your photos etc. therefore you need to manually backup all of your photos from the device, plugged into your PC, simply do the copy and paste function like you normally would to transfer files etc.

I did both as above, just incase and glad I did as there's no way to extract individually from the Motorola backup suite.

Looking forward to hearing your success!
2020-4-24
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I wasn't aware of LMSA, thanks a lot for the tip, I'll be sure to use it.
2020-4-24
Use props
djiuser_xPmSpmgWTpue
New

United States

I have a G5 Plus and installed the Pixel Experience rom.  When I run a 64 bit checker app it says it's seeing it as 64 bit.  But, I still can't load the DJI Fly app.  When I go to the link in the play store it says 'Your device isn't compatible with this version'.   Is there some other way you need to load the app?
EDIT:  Nevermind, I think I got it.  Installed from the apk.
2020-9-5
Use props
Fernandes PK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 159731 ft
Brazil

Eu consegui instalar no G5 a ROOM

djiuser_xPmSpmgWTpue Postado em 9-5 06:09[url=]Clique aqui para recuperar[/url]
Eu tenho um G5 Plus e instalei a ROM Pixel Experience. Quando executo um aplicativo verificador de 64 bits, ele diz que está vendo como 64 bits. Mas, ainda não consigo carregar o aplicativo DJI Fly. Quando eu vou para o link na play store, ele diz 'Seu dispositivo não é compatível com esta versão'. Existe alguma outra maneira de carregar o aplicativo?
EDIT: Esqueça, acho que entendi. Instalado a partir do apk.

Eu consegui instalar no G5 a ROOM

2020-11-17
Use props
Real Firefox
lvl.1
Flight distance : 446919 ft
Spain

Too bad this doesn't work for the Nexus 7 2013. Wish they would add 32bit support to the app.
2021-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules