Strange distance issue
507 9 2020-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Was just watching a screen recording i did of a flight and noticed this, never seen that before, wonder if the new FW caused it.

2020-4-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe that's caused by you walking away with the remote.
It's measuring the distance from the remote.
2020-4-25
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

Woe Posted at 4-25 06:13
I believe that's caused by you walking away with the remote.
It's measuring the distance from the remote.

The distance (D) is measured from the recorded Home Point, not from the remote.

How many GPS satellites were showing at the moment the indicated Distance was wandering like this?  The Home Point won't record accurately until the GPS receiver sees a minimum number of GPS satellites.  If the number of visible satellites drops after that, the Distance displayed may no longer be accurate.  After takeoff, as the Mini started to climb, suddenly the Distance shown makes sense again.

It would be interesting to see the number of satellites during this video clip.

Edit:  I just realized it announced another updated Home Point right after takeoff.  So, ya.  I think it must have lost some satellite reception during the period the Distance started wandering like that.

2020-4-25
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Zbip57 Posted at 4-25 07:23

How many GPS satellites were showing at the moment the indicated Distance was wandering like this?  The Home Point won't record accurately until the GPS receiver sees a minimum number of GPS satellites.  If the number of visible satellites drops after that, the Distance displayed may no longer be accurate.  After takeoff, as the Mini started to climb, suddenly the Distance shown makes sense again.

Ill take a look at the video again and upload the full screen view but this was at point of take off

app shot

app shot
2020-4-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good to know. I didn't notice he was flying the Mini.
2020-4-25
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

here is the full screen view

2020-4-25
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

crash1sttime Posted at 4-25 07:35
here is the full screen view

Interesting.  You can see as it's warming up the satellite indicator starts out red with only two bars showing, even when it's already indicating a count of 16 satellites.  The Manual says it requires at least 4 bars.

The moment the indicator turns white with 5 bars, it announces that the Home Point has been updated.  At that point the distance measurement starts off at 0 ft.  That makes sense.  But then the distance starts counting higher as if it thinks the Mini is moving away from its Home Point, even though it's still sitting on the ground.  The satellite count fluctuates between 14-17 as the distance counts as high as 7ft.

I'm pretty sure that small amount of drift is because it is still cycling through different GPS satellite locks.

At takeoff the Home Point is updated again (I think that's normal) and of course that again instantly zeroes the distance count.

The question is, in a RTH to Home situation, would it actually return to the exact spot where it took off from, or would it land 7 feet away where it thought it was located when the Home Point was updated at takeoff?
2020-4-25
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I will be out again soon and will test this to see if it was a one off or a consistent thing and also test RTH
2020-4-26
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 420646 ft
United Kingdom

Shows the compass needs calibrating, could be a factor
Annotation 2020-04-26 125316.png
2020-4-26
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I reran a test, in this instance i landed about 7ft from home point and took off, the quad set the home point as it lifted off and reset the distance,.

Now i'm pretty sure that with my mavic pro that the HP is only set on the first power on and when the quad is landed and powered off /on, its been a while since i flew the MP though, could be wrong.

In this example if i landed the MM about 1/2 mile away and then flew back to where i am stood then in theory the HP is where i took off from 1/2 mile away and not where the pilot is stood, that would mean in a RTH scenario the quad would fly back to where it took off from.

2020-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules