123Next >
4132 101 2020-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Well sadly, I just joined the crash group... I know the feeling now of heart almost stoping... and watching the drone drop in slowmotion to the floor and be smashed...
I feel guted cause this drone meant a lot for me, emotionally, and economically... I've been soo damm careful, pre flight checks, UAV Forecast, analizing environment...
I have DJI Care Refresh, and also it is 100% my fault... basically I flew in to a palm tree, end of the story.

Now my only hope is that DJI can fix my unit, rather than send me a replacement since it is only a cracked arm, it didint even came apart, still attached (if I didnt had DJI Care refresh it would be already fixed...) Eveything is fine, camera, battery compartment, all props, only some mud in one motor... after cleaning a bit the mud is prestine, the fall was maybe from 4 metters heights and in to grass, I really thought it could survive but it didnt...

I would like my own unit fixed because I have the serial number registered and in a number plate under the drone, rather than recieving a replacement with different serial number... any of you can give me some advice?, like take off the serial number plate before sending?...

I actually have been grounded for quite some time now, cause I kept experiencing the "altitude drops" very randomly, some times huge drops, and wanted to wait for a new firmware... since this awesome update came, I charged all batteries full, did propper installation of all stuff and wanted to check it out... the problem was I was looking at the Drone and not the Mobile Screen, that could have save me but since the drops happened fast and I only saved the drone because I was actually looking at it to notice the drops and recover manually... I just missjudged the angle and speed and when I wanted to realise it was too late...

Sorry to bring negative news over here... but ... happens... now I get to experience the DJI Care refresh thingy and support...
Stay safe, and dont be like me, keep more distance that you think is necessary.

broken arm

broken arm

mud in propeller

mud in propeller

camera ok

camera ok

what a shame...

what a shame...

just small crack in front left arm.

just small crack in front left arm.
2020-4-25
Use props
JetSam
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

sorry for your lose bro ....
2020-4-25
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

Thankfully, you have care refresh. The mini is pretty fragile.
2020-4-25
Use props
JetSam
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

that is the problem, before a fall, its fragility will not save it ... sadly
2020-4-25
Use props
LeoparizF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35912 ft
Portugal

Sorry to hear man
2020-4-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

JetSam Posted at 4-25 09:11
sorry for your lose bro ....

Thanks amigo!
2020-4-25
Use props
Gregg F
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40846 ft
United States

On the outside it just looks like it needs a new leg, so my guess is it will be cheaper for them to fix it rather than send you a new one. But that is only a guess. And there could be internal damage we do not see.
2020-4-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Deucalion Posted at 4-25 09:15
Thankfully, you have care refresh. The mini is pretty fragile.

Yep, I somehow knew not having care refresh could be much much worse... even if not used... just for a momment like this. I also bought the Mini cause I couldnt justify crashing a more expensive drone, so for that purpose is good learning experience.

The fact that I felt confident, prooves with drones you can never really be that confident, I mean secure of your self yes, but keeping in mind it only takes 2 seconds for ... to hit the fan.

Regarding being fragile... yes... I mean, the back "arms" both closed by themselves... props are OK, gimbal and camera are OK too... is just that spot in the front arms hinges... The natual thing if you crash with the drone front is to bend those arms back, but it just breaks... I wonder if something could be done with 3D printing to protect it...

Anyway, leason learned... it actually is much more fragile than I thought.
2020-4-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Thanks neighbour!
2020-4-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Gregg F Posted at 4-25 09:54
On the outside it just looks like it needs a new leg, so my guess is it will be cheaper for them to fix it rather than send you a new one. But that is only a guess. And there could be internal damage we do not see.

Absolutely, while I feel confident inside would be Ok, only they can tell... gimbal and camera seems perfect, impact wasn't that big really... but enough to crack the from arm...
2020-4-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Oppps ouch, but at least you had the sense to have care refresh, hopefully you’re back flying soon.
2020-4-25
Use props
Studio66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21670 ft
Belgium

uy so sorry to hear.
how is lockdown over there? i hope you and your family are ok.
m suerte
2020-4-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 4-25 10:43
Oppps ouch, but at least you had the sense to have care refresh, hopefully you’re back flying soon.

Thank Hallmark!
Yeah if I didn´t I would be feeling completely stupid right now...
I´m so cautious in general, that sometimes I thought,I may do a year without crashing it... and what a waster of money... this proves me wrong completely...
Good thing I don´t really need it right now for anything.
2020-4-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Studio66 Posted at 4-25 10:47
uy so sorry to hear.
how is lockdown over there? i hope you and your family are ok.
m suerte

Yeah man sad, but I´m better now, when it happened I felt devastated...
Me and my family are Ok, thanks a lot for asking... Luckily I live in a rural area, hardly anybody around, no police, plenty of land to walk and take fresh air... cannot complain really.
Hope you and your family are ok too.
Stay safe!
2020-4-25
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss but happy to hear that you have care refresh.
Hopefully you will have a quick and painless turnaround.
Stay Safe.
2020-4-25
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

Ouch... Double Ouch  Emotional and Economic!

Let us know about your service.
2020-4-25
Use props
fjelsten
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1949009 ft
Denmark

I am pretty sure you'll find that fixing it is sooo much more expensive than getting a replacement. This is what I found. A new set of propellers and a rubber band for a gimble was more than twice the amount of the refresh fee.
2020-4-25
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Why I don't like warranties...

Here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000411228555.html

2020-4-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch.  So sorry to hear of your MM crash.  Happy to hear that you have Care Refresh.  From friends that have DJI drones and used Refresh they got back different drones and not their original repaired.  So just a heads up.  

I have already helped 3 MM owners to replace a front arm due to crashes.  The part is fairly cheap but the work can be tedious without the right equipment.  

Hope you are back up and flying before too long.
2020-4-25
Use props
StubbornSwiss
lvl.4
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

Sorry to hear about this, Inspektor.

I hope you get it sorted out soon.

Stay safe!
2020-4-25
Use props
Y.C.Yuksel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33612 ft
Turkey

Sad to hear
2020-4-25
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221906 ft
United States

My bud just flew his into a tree also.
2020-4-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The arms on eBay are cheaper than the care refresh amount.
2020-4-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

BobWinNV Posted at 4-25 12:55
Sorry for your loss but happy to hear that you have care refresh.
Hopefully you will have a quick and painless turnaround.
Stay Safe.

Yeah lets see how long it takes...
Stay safe too!
2020-4-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Akirasho Posted at 4-25 13:53
Ouch... Double Ouch  Emotional and Economic!

Let us know about your service.

Yes I will report how it goes!
Stay safe!
2020-4-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

fjelsten Posted at 4-25 14:01
I am pretty sure you'll find that fixing it is sooo much more expensive than getting a replacement. This is what I found. A new set of propellers and a rubber band for a gimble was more than twice the amount of the refresh fee.

Yeah the quotes for fixing Minis that I have seen were pretty crazy...
2020-4-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

m80116 Posted at 4-25 14:23
Why I don't like warranties...

Here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000411228555.html

Cool thanks for pointing that, I actually can fix pretty much anything, love taking things apart and repairing them, but since I already have care refresh, thinking on testing it to maintain warranty.
2020-4-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-25 17:47
Ouch.  So sorry to hear of your MM crash.  Happy to hear that you have Care Refresh.  From friends that have DJI drones and used Refresh they got back different drones and not their original repaired.  So just a heads up.  

I have already helped 3 MM owners to replace a front arm due to crashes.  The part is fairly cheap but the work can be tedious without the right equipment.  

Thanks for the info buddy, I will try to ask support to only replace arm, let see...

I feel confident I could get it fixed, I have fixed plenty of laptops and tight electronic devices before, I also have all the needed tools, but then is almost a month from aliexpress, I may order spares for the future... or even 3D print them for when warranty is gone...

Thinking to design something that could add strength to that hinge...
2020-4-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

StubbornSwiss Posted at 4-25 19:12
Sorry to hear about this, Inspektor.

I hope you get it sorted out soon.

Yeah well I'm kind of happy it was in my back garden, will be even more careful next time
Stay safe!
2020-4-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 4-26 00:16
The arms on eBay are cheaper than the care refresh amount.

Hey DAFlys, yes I saw them... I may consider it if I crash again and run out of repairs, but since I already bought it... kind of want to see how it works... Even if I have to register another number plate again is only about 20euros.
2020-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi InspektorGadjet, we are sorry to read the crash accident, products and components presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired, we are not sure whether only the arm crashed, the drone needs to be evaluated first. Please start your ticket online and send in at your most convenience, our repair center will take care of it.
2020-4-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-26 02:24
Hi InspektorGadjet, we are sorry to read the crash accident, products and components presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired, we are not sure whether only the arm crashed, the drone needs to be evaluated first. Please start your ticket online and send in at your most convenience, our repair center will take care of it.

Hello and thanks for the info Mindy.
I tried to start a chat to open the ticket, but it said something about not being available during the weekend... I wanted to talk to somebody to comment about my serial number under the drone and also if the camera could be checked since I allways noticed a huge amount of "grainy footage" on my drone, even at 100 ISO...
2020-4-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 4-26 01:42
Hey DAFlys, yes I saw them... I may consider it if I crash again and run out of repairs, but since I already bought it... kind of want to see how it works... Even if I have to register another number plate again is only about 20euros.

I suspect you will, they tend to send back refurbished units so you get a replacement quicker.
2020-4-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 4-26 02:37
I suspect you will, they tend to send back refurbished units so you get a replacement quicker.

It kind of makes sense...
I will report back when my unit arrives...
2020-4-26
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry for your loss
What does the flight log say?
2020-4-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 4-26 03:42
It kind of makes sense...
I will report back when my unit arrives...

It will interesting also to see how long the process takes.
2020-4-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ouch, that is sad!
Good luck with it!
2020-4-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Ingo Sundowner Posted at 4-26 03:43
Sorry for your loss
What does the flight log say?

Since online chat support is not available during the weekend, decided to wait for tomorrow... I didnt even bothered on downloading the Log... I was just on the side, and basically after pre-flight check and a small hoover around, when full on forward and up and when I saw the trajectory was gfoing towards the tree it was too late and just crashed... I might download it and post here anyway...
2020-4-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 4-26 04:00
It will interesting also to see how long the process takes.

Yes I will report back with more info
2020-4-26
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Suprised no one has asked for the flight logs, someone can tell you why this happened.
2020-4-26
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules