Drone randomly falls out of sky
2953 8 2020-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 889423 ft
United States

I was flying my drone like I normally do. There weren't any trees or power lines near it and I was about 141 ft above the ground. I was just cruising at 30 mph when all of a sudden the drone lost control spun while still traveling forward and eventually lost balance and fell. I didn't see a bird (the drone was within line of sight) or any other thing flying near it. I'm going to send it in for a speedy DJI Care Refresh replacement, but I can be assured that this malfunction will not happen again? I am currently dissatisfied with the quality of my Phantom and want to be rest assured that this sort of thing will not happen again. Not to mention that this drone was not even a year old and brand new from DJI...
2020-4-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If you want to know what happened, go to this site and follow the instructions to upload your flight log, then come back and post a link to the result. Some of the members will then take a look at it and offer an opinion as to what caused the incident: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2020-4-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its not a regular occurrence as long as youre religious with your  startup plan, making sure the battery is seated and cannot be wiggled lose (try before take off), making sure props are all seated 100%, i generally check my props at least 3 times prior to take off a lot more if im talking to my flight buddy lol, there are also external factors, a bird strike cannot be ruled out, you may not have noticed anything hit but its possible and also power and phone lines. for the latter, i watched a well known video where the guy swore blind that his just fell out of the sky, turned out there was power lines thats was not noticeable on the video....

As Geebax suggested, upload your log following the instructions in that link he posted above and post the link here and you will get a fairly definitive answer all being well,  but as you were crusing at 30mph and you mentioned spinning forward momentum, i think we can poss rule out battery coming loose, i am edging bets on a prop issue, being it not fitted correctly, bird strike, prop failure due to aftermarket props, or damaged prop or  a mechanical issue but, i think we can rule that out too as you would have mentioned that it was ongoing? Loose wire perhaps but again, unlikely really but not impossible, Deffo sounds like props to me and more precise, a prop....

2020-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi alk, we apologize to hear the crash accident, it is recommended to send in the drone for the data analysis, our team will help figure out what may cause the accident. While upon checking your case number, you already applied for DJI Care Refresh Express service, please note data analysis will not be provided in this case. We will send you the replacement drone as soon as possible after receiving your original product. Please let us know if you have further concerns.
2020-4-26
Use props
alk
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 4-26 18:34
Its not a regular occurrence as long as youre religious with your  startup plan, making sure the battery is seated and cannot be wiggled lose (try before take off), making sure props are all seated 100%, i generally check my props at least 3 times prior to take off a lot more if im talking to my flight buddy lol, there are also external factors, a bird strike cannot be ruled out, you may not have noticed anything hit but its possible and also power and phone lines. for the latter, i watched a well known video where the guy swore blind that his just fell out of the sky, turned out there was power lines thats was not noticeable on the video....

As Geebax suggested, upload your log following the instructions in that link he posted above and post the link here and you will get a fairly definitive answer all being well,  but as you were crusing at 30mph and you mentioned spinning forward momentum, i think we can poss rule out battery coming loose, i am edging bets on a prop issue, being it not fitted correctly, bird strike, prop failure due to aftermarket props, or damaged prop or  a mechanical issue but, i think we can rule that out too as you would have mentioned that it was ongoing? Loose wire perhaps but again, unlikely really but not impossible, Deffo sounds like props to me and more precise, a prop....

The prop issue is very likely. I screwed up with them one other time but luckily it was when the motors were primed (not taking off) so the consequences weren't as grave. The loose prop flew off into an unreachable bush.

They aren't aftermarket, just the regular quick-release propellers. I will use better caution next time when using these.

I can't get the flight logs just yet as I'm about to go into a Zoom class session, but once I'm done I will get my hands on the flight log and get them to you all. It shouldn't be very long anyway.
The drone was in line of sight, so I saw that there were no power lines obstructing the drone's path. It was only about 400 ft away or so when it malfunctioned.
2020-4-27
Use props
alk
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-26 19:09
Hi alk, we apologize to hear the crash accident, it is recommended to send in the drone for the data analysis, our team will help figure out what may cause the accident. While upon checking your case number, you already applied for DJI Care Refresh Express service, please note data analysis will not be provided in this case. We will send you the replacement drone as soon as possible after receiving your original product. Please let us know if you have further concerns.

Here is the flight log

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TVGSQOPEO7AIOE95A3XW
2020-4-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

alk Posted at 4-27 10:49
Here is the flight log

It looks as if you lost a prop, according to the flight log, at 30 seconds into the flight.
2020-4-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

alk Posted at 4-27 10:49
Here is the flight log

Sorry that we are unable to analyze the log on the third-party platform, I see the replacement drone has been shipped out. Please keep us updated if you have any further concerns.
2020-5-4
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-27 14:26
It looks as if you lost a prop, according to the flight log, at 30 seconds into the flight.

I see same......Glad you have a new bird inbound.  Stay safe!!

Randy
2020-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules