Maybe buying a Mavic Mini but hate Fly's poor Android support
982 19 2020-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

So I'm thinking of buying a Mavic Mini but my three year old phone isn't supported by Fly (it's a Motorola G5S).

From reading numerous threads here and elsewhere I'm not alone in my irritation at the poor Android phone support. It's even more irritating when you see that the older Go software has far better Android support. It seems it's all down to the 64-bit nature of the Fly app.

From reading another thread it MAY be possible to get my G5S running Fly by loading it up with Pixel Experience, but this looks like a real chore and there's a chance I could brick my phone. Even then there's no guarantee that Fly won't have some problems.

So I have two choices:

a) Don't buy a Mavic Mini, or:

b) Spend even more money on buying another phone that is supported (I'd go for something cheap, maybe a second hand iPhone 6 (which is two years older than my G5S ......... )).

This has put a real dampener on my initial enthusiasm to buy a Mavic Mini. I'm not sure what DJI were thinking when they decided to limit the Fly app so much with Android.

2020-4-27
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Are You sure that your phone won't work with app? My Xperia XZ2 is not on the supported devices list but works great...
2020-4-27
Use props
Bjord
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861880 ft
Canada

Personally I bought an apple re-certified iPad for pretty cheap. Partly because the apple device support is is undeniably better.
2020-4-27
Use props
gort
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Check this out.. (updated daily)
https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18
2020-4-27
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 4-27 00:38
Are You sure that your phone won't work with app? My Xperia XZ2 is not on the supported devices list but works great...

The Fly app won't install, it says that the G5S is unsupported (or words to that effect).
2020-4-27
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Bjord Posted at 4-27 00:50
Personally I bought an apple re-certified iPad for pretty cheap. Partly because the apple device support is is undeniably better.

Which iPad, and how cheap?
2020-4-27
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

gort Posted at 4-27 00:54
Check this out.. (updated daily)
https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18

Thanks, I've been looking at that for a few days, the G5S unfortunately isn't even listed (only the G5 and G5 Plus, and no reports of Fly working on either).

2020-4-27
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

RCPilot Posted at 4-27 01:25
The Fly app won't install, it says that the G5S is unsupported (or words to that effect).

Fly app needs 64bit OS, can this be the reason?
2020-4-27
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 4-27 01:44
Fly app needs 64bit OS, can this be the reason?

That certainly seems to be the case, seems a shame that Fly won't support systems partly or fully running as a 32-bit system (even though, for example, the CPU is 64-bit).
2020-4-27
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14094 ft
Austria

I mean no offense, but what do you expect from a budget device which is nearly 3 years old?
And even when the iPhone6 is older, it was a flagship device once. The G5S never was that (so >700€ device VS 150-200€ device)

My Xiaomi mi6 also could run it and it came out April 2017 (G5S August 2017).

PS.: Try the iPhone SE2.
2020-4-27
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

32-bits technology is old.
Problably more apps will do not work in future.
2020-4-27
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

thE29 Posted at 4-27 02:04
I mean no offense, but what do you expect from a budget device which is nearly 3 years old?
And even when the iPhone6 is older, it was a flagship device once. The G5S never was that (so >700€ device VS 150-200€ device)

No offense taken.

However, it could also be argued that in some respects the Mavic Mini is a budget device (when it comes to its performance and features). It seems logical to think that a 'budget' drone would work with a budget phone.

Thanks for the phone recommendation, that one's a bit expensive for me, if I end up having to get a second hand iPhone I'll need to go for the cheapest supported and that's apparently the iPhone 6 (it will solely be used for flying).

2020-4-27
Use props
djiuser_j8fnDsPa0mOm
New

Spain

I've had this drone for 3 months now, but subtract 2 months during which it was stuck at 40' above ground in my neighbour's huge maple tree. With no way to be retrieved from the upper branches, it was fully exposed to the elements - rain, snow, and ice - for two months. I finally managed to knock the drone off the tree using a super-long pole, and to my surprise the drone came back to life, as if nothing happened.

It's a fun little lightweight drone - very easy to learn and fly. But the slightest wind will flick it around. The way mine ended up in the tree for two month - I was trying to inspect my roof on a calm, windless day - when a gust of wind over the roof whisked my aircraft out of control.

if you want more info, this guys compralobueno.com have made an incredible review about the drone.
2020-4-27
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Sorry to hear about your drone being stuck up a tree but it's great to hear that you retrieved it after all that time and it still works!

Unfortunately I live in an area where it gets very windy at times so I'm now wondering if I should opt for something more resilient - the Mavic 2 Pro springs to mind but it's so expensive .........

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.
2020-4-27
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

RCPilot Posted at 4-27 04:08
Sorry to hear about your drone being stuck up a tree but it's great to hear that you retrieved it after all that time and it still works!

Unfortunately I live in an area where it gets very windy at times so I'm now wondering if I should opt for something more resilient - the Mavic 2 Pro springs to mind but it's so expensive .........

It is hard to build and maintain 32 bit code AND 64 bit code anymore. Not just on phones, but also on computers. With computers though, the problem is usually reversed. The computer is 64 bit and and it's the 32 bit that you have to replace, if a 64 bit version is even available.
2020-4-27
Use props
Bjord
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861880 ft
Canada

RCPilot Posted at 4-27 01:26
Which iPad, and how cheap?

Base model 2018 iPad, it was around $200 USD. It was in like-new condition, with a new box, charger, battery, and full warranty. Looks like they only have the higher end models in stock right now, though.
2020-4-27
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks for the info.
2020-4-28
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

The Xiaomi note 7 works perfectly with DJI FLY and only costs slightly over 100 usd. That's what I have.
2020-4-28
Use props
RCPilot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks, I'll add it to the list.
2020-4-28
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

Everyone, before the release of Air 2 still hoped for Go4, now Air 2 is out and we can say with certainty that everyone will be transferred to a poor DJI Fly with all the consequences for not being compatible with display devices.
2020-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules