Mavic Air 2 vs. Skydio 2
6250 7 2020-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

So I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the Mavic Air 2, it seems in many ways to beat DJI's entire product line, but I hesitate due to one thing only, obstacle avoidance.  The other drone I'm looking at is the Skydio 2, in terms of onstacle avoidance it seems to blow DJI out of the water, the videos are incredible.  It was almost enough to make me but it on the spot, however in all other technical areas the Mavic Air 2 seems to eat it's lunch, that said obstacle avoidance is important to me.

Other factors are that the Skydio 2 is made in America (patriotism aside, our relationship with China right now is a bit sour, what will happen if tariffs or an an embargo go up against China, or a war breaks out?  Will DJI be able (or willing) to service our drones?  Will they just remotely disable them with the geofencing?)  Also, the Skydio 2 has no geofencing, the geofencing thing really bothers me and that it can be changed on the fly bothers me even more (how much does it bother me?  I last updated Go4 before the geofencing update came out, that's how much), and finally their warranty cover's crashes, no extra purchase like DJI care required.  I WANT to like the Skydio 2, but the specs just don't compare for the most part.

Having said all of that though, which one would you pick?  And how well does the new active track 3.0 and APAS 3.0 compare to the Skydio 2's tracking and object avoidance?

Also, I have a couple of questions about the Mavic Air 2 that I have not seen answered yet, does it have an automatic return home on controller signal loss?  Does the new app include a map like the old ones?

2020-4-27
Use props
flyingfun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2551998 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

If geofencing and obstacle avoidance are your main concerns go for the Skydio 2. All depends what you want to do aerial footage ? Or action sports ?
2020-4-27
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

Imo, skydio in neurotic flying gopro, mavic series are more down to earth filming tools for everyone, this is how i see it by all reviews etc. Skydio it's just too unstable and unpredictable for some more detailed work etc. Works nice for action outdoors stuff, i guess, but in urban areas etc, not so much and i actually find it hazardous.
2020-4-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't think the path decisions that the Skydio make look very good. I think the Mavic Air 2 would be the better option.
2020-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

In my humble opinion, obstacle avoidance would be very low on the decision tree.
I never have that on, because I want to control the drone myself.
2020-4-28
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Skydio 2 is the best follow-me drone for consumers in the world.  For manual flight it doesn't compare to DJI.  You will lose the DJI drone trying to do Skydio 2 things and you may lose the Skydio 2 doing DJI things.
2020-4-28
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Apples to oranges...
2020-4-28
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

2 different birds, with a slightly different user target.
IF you had both birds you would be cover for almost any situation.
The DJI is more rounded out in usage, but the Skydio is more suited to action following shots.
2020-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules