Mavic Air 2 SDK Support
63369 246 2020-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
neoxdesign
lvl.1
Chile

fansc48e1fc4 Posted at 5-19 22:02
Mavic Mini will be supported around July this year (2020), Mavic Air2 will be supported in Q4 of 2020.

Michael From DJI MSDK Team

Esperando que así sea, es muy importante para todos los usuarios de éste producto, con una cámara tan buena, poder hacer planeación de vuelos.
2020-8-19
Use props
EnviroSci
lvl.1

South Africa

Any time frame updates, as this has become a critical issue in our business?

2020-8-25
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

EnviroSci Posted at 8-25 23:11
Any time frame updates, as this has become a critical issue in our business?

The timeframe of SDK support issued in Q4 is the same
2020-8-26
Use props
djiuser_Oj7JW9Y3gDSv
New

United States

DJI_Lisa Posted at 6-19 14:21
I'm sorry that this is frustrating and we are working hard to create future SDK support alignment at the time of product release.  

And yes, we do have more than one person on the SDK team but at the same time, the team is very lean relative the rest of the DJI workforce.

I dont think he is saying hes leaving the product. I think he is adressing a frustration that many of us have. They just rolled out the update which offers zoon on the MA2. That was a roll out in my opinion that could have waited visa vi the SDK everyone is waiting for.

So please excuse us for being a little eager as we purchased a DJI product and would like to fully utilize its capabilites. I actually purchased this drone thinking i would be able to use this for that specific purpose and spend the additional on accessories.

Anywhoo, shout out to the team who is working hard trying to get the SDK before the year is out.
2020-8-30
Use props
DJI_Chachi
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_Oj7JW9Y3gDSv Posted at 8-30 18:19
I dont think he is saying hes leaving the product. I think he is adressing a frustration that many of us have. They just rolled out the update which offers zoon on the MA2. That was a roll out in my opinion that could have waited visa vi the SDK everyone is waiting for.

So please excuse us for being a little eager as we purchased a DJI product and would like to fully utilize its capabilites. I actually purchased this drone thinking i would be able to use this for that specific purpose and spend the additional on accessories.

I hear the frustration and although we can't always makes changes right away, I think it helps to know a bit more about what is going on behind the scenes, to know more about the SDK team and to at least know that we do indeed hear you.  This is one of our goals for opening up a DJI developer forum again - so we can get closer to what the developers are asking for.

The SDK team is lean, we want to continue to offer a free product but we also want to provide relevant features to the developer community.

For anyone that wants to submit feature requests, bug reports or feedback please  feel free to send it to our team directly through this form: https://formcrafts.com/a/dji-developer-feedback-en or email us at dev@dji.com
2020-9-1
Use props
djiuser_3Ly6Oq79HAte
lvl.1
Flight distance : 150633 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI_Chachi Posted at 9-1 08:18
I hear the frustration and although we can't always makes changes right away, I think it helps to know a bit more about what is going on behind the scenes, to know more about the SDK team and to at least know that we do indeed hear you.  This is one of our goals for opening up a DJI developer forum again - so we can get closer to what the developers are asking for.

The SDK team is lean, we want to continue to offer a free product but we also want to provide relevant features to the developer community.

Thks for the great product from DJI, garner >80% drone market share for apparent reasons. As much as we all like to get our hands on the MA2 SDK asap, there are M2PRO & M2ZOOM to fulfill immediate needs. Keep up the good work!
2020-9-19
Use props
djiuser_4CJLp28iZJ2J
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Can we have a updated eta please
2020-9-20
Use props
djiuser_ufuuOxZtMgEL
New

United States

HELLO DJI support team!  Im a new user to DJI and purchased the Mavic AIr 2 What a bummer to find no mapping apps work with this unit! SAD! Map Pilot  NO Litchi NO Pix4Dcapture NO
2020-9-20
Use props
djiuser_ufuuOxZtMgEL
New

United States

HELLO DJI support team!
Im a new user to DJI and purchased the Mavic AIr 2
What a bummer to find no mapping apps work with this unit! SAD!
Map Pilot  NO
Litchi NO
Pix4Dcapture NO
2020-9-20
Use props
djiuser_RcUoVk0yuu1c
lvl.1

Spain

djiuser_ufuuOxZtMgEL Posted at 9-20 09:46
HELLO DJI support team!  Im a new user to DJI and purchased the Mavic AIr 2 What a bummer to find no mapping apps work with this unit! SAD! Map Pilot  NO Litchi NO Pix4Dcapture NO

It is MORE than sad for a +1000 € drone .. starting to regret I buyed MA2 ..   ...
2020-9-21
Use props
marcbou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1220479 ft
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_RcUoVk0yuu1c Posted at 9-21 05:09
It is MORE than sad for a +1000 € drone .. starting to regret I buyed MA2 ..   ...

same here, DJI get your act together and release this damn SDK without further delay PLEASE !!!!
2020-9-24
Use props
Travelgypsea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26427 ft
United States

Hello!
I, like many others on this thread, recently purchased the Mavic Air 2 for its portability and good camera. I would like to use it to map historical and archaeological sites and would love to use Pix4Dcapture for this processing. As of next week we will officially be in the “Q4” of 2020. Is there yet any development on a SDK?  Due to covid, much of this field season has been lost in areas that get snow, and now we’re trying to play catch up to make sure that these sites are preserved before winter come and construction next spring destroys some of the sites. Does anyone know if there is another platform or rendition that I could fly manually with the drone and create the digital elevation model?
2020-9-26
Use props
Mike Lammers
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1402280 ft
Netherlands

Travelgypsea Posted at 9-26 10:51
Hello!
I, like many others on this thread, recently purchased the Mavic Air 2 for its portability and good camera. I would like to use it to map historical and archaeological sites and would love to use Pix4Dcapture for this processing. As of next week we will officially be in the “Q4” of 2020. Is there yet any development on a SDK?  Due to covid, much of this field season has been lost in areas that get snow, and now we’re trying to play catch up to make sure that these sites are preserved before winter come and construction next spring destroys some of the sites. Does anyone know if there is another platform or rendition that I could fly manually with the drone and create the digital elevation model?

There are a lot of platforms available for DEM creation. I'm also a user of WebODM from OpenDroneMap, which has the advantage of being free.

You can fly the drone manually for processing in (for example) Pix4Dmapper. I have successfully used the MA2 for this a couple of times. Of course planning a mission in Pix4Dcapture would be much easier.
2020-9-28
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

Hello!
I, like many others on this thread, recently purchased the Mavic Air 2 for its portability and good camera. I would like to use it to map historical and archaeological sites and would love to use Pix4Dcapture for this processing. As of next week we will officially be in the “Q4” of 2020. Is there yet any development on a SDK?  Due to covid, much of this field season has been lost in areas that get snow, and now we’re trying to play catch up to make sure that these sites are preserved before winter come and construction next spring destroys some of the sites. Does anyone know if there is another platform or rendition that I could fly manually with the drone and create the digital elevation model?

"Is there yet any development on a SDK?"

Nothing has changed - SDK support for the MA2 is currently being worked by our MSDK and UX SDK engineers and we are shooting for a release before the end of 2020.  
2020-9-29
Use props
EnviroSci
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI_Lisa Posted at 9-29 10:13
"Is there yet any development on a SDK?"

Nothing has changed - SDK support for the MA2 is currently being worked by our MSDK and UX SDK engineers and we are shooting for a release before the end of 2020.

Very disappointing answer as we cant deliver the products needed by local conservation groups, and to say buy M Pro or 2, is not financially feasible.

Received notification yesterday that the MA2 can now link to the smart controller, again a function that could have been prioritized for later

DJI is fortunate that we don't have access to other drone makers in South Africa, and can see why the market for self builds is growing.
2020-9-30
Use props
TobH
lvl.2
Austria

Just a heads up, I have received the news that Version 4.14 of Mobile SDK will support the Mavic Air 2 and it will be released on November 30th. I really hope they wont delay it as I really need waypoints.
2020-10-1
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

I would like to clarify something for everyone watching this forum topic.  

The Software Development Kit only grants access to the pre-existing functions of a drone's firmware and hardware but the SDK can not change what is under the hood.  So the SDK can only expose already existing features of a drone. Which means, any current limitations of the drone will continue to apply since these are dictated by the drone's firmware/hardware.

To know what features are possible with the Mavic Air 2 please navigate to the product page here: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air-2?from=store-product-page and read over the manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... Manual_v1.2_en_.pdf

In the manual, there is a section called "Intelligent Flight Mode" and there is not a waypoint feature here outside of the limited 1-5 waypoints  to make a timelapse video.  DJI's SDK engineers do not have any control over this and if anyone would like to request this as a feature please email Support@DJI.com or go to DJI's main product forum here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... r=typeid&typeid=556
2020-10-2
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Got this 2 days ago.

2020-10-2
Use props
marcbou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1220479 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI_Lisa Posted at 10-2 14:33

The Software Development Kit only grants access to the pre-existing functions of a drone's firmware and hardware but the SDK can not change what is under the hood.  So the SDK can only expose already existing features of a drone. Which means, any current limitations of the drone will continue to apply since these are dictated by the drone's firmware/hardware.

so after all this waiting time you're telling us that the SDK will also be artificially limited for marketing / product differentiation reasons ?

Is DJI becoming worse than Tesla and Apple ?

Is it time to buy drones from another manufacturer ?
2020-10-6
Use props
fanse36648ba
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75318 ft
United States

DJI_Lisa Posted at 8-10 08:11
We are shooting to support Mavic Air 2 before the end of 2020

Extremely disappointing again. I took a chance and came back to DJI from Autel, That was a mistake DJI's failure in the SDK area is inexcusable. The Osmo 4 and MA2 are the last products I will purchase from DJI ever. The FLY app is half baked and anemic compared to DJI GO. Your software/firmware has taken great hardware and crippled it while Autel eats your lunch.
2020-10-6
Use props
AZLeatherneck
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75318 ft
United States

DJI_Lisa Posted at 10-2 14:33

The Software Development Kit only grants access to the pre-existing functions of a drone's firmware and hardware but the SDK can not change what is under the hood.  So the SDK can only expose already existing features of a drone. Which means, any current limitations of the drone will continue to apply since these are dictated by the drone's firmware/hardware.

If waypoints are supported on the MM (Dronelink) and not the MA2 it is going in the garbage
2020-10-6
Use props
Sanluis210617
lvl.2
Flight distance : 149846 ft
Spain

I have a Mavic Air and I use Litchi a lot to schedule my flights. I would like to buy the new Mavic Air 2, but without waypoints I prefer to wait, when will you resolve the issue of the SDKs?
2020-10-6
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

AZLeatherneck Posted at 10-6 07:24
If waypoints are supported on the MM (Dronelink) and not the MA2 it is going in the garbage

Dronelink is using virtual sticks to automate flight and it's reasonable to expect that they will be able to extend this to the MA2
2020-10-6
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

marcbou Posted at 10-6 05:13
so after all this waiting time you're telling us that the SDK will also be artificially limited for marketing / product differentiation reasons ?

Is DJI becoming worse than Tesla and Apple ?

No, that's not the logic behind how the SDK works - this has nothing to do with marketing.  I'm not sure how else to say it - hardware is different therefore how the SDK interacts with each product will be different.  

2020-10-6
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174905 ft
Russia

If the Mavic Air supports Waypoints and the Mavic Air 2 doesn't, then it's a shame for DJI! Your company is going back to the stone age! Drone specifications are improving and the software capabilities of MA2 lead us to the age of the dinosaurs! I am disappointed with its dull, primitive capabilities at the moment.
2020-10-7
Use props
cryss
lvl.1

Germany

It's true - we are awaiting the release of the sdk desperately. Winter is coming and this gives the whole topic a little break. But there is no sense in keeping the Mavic air 2 next season if, until then there is no possibility to use litchi to its full extent. This simply means a necessary change of the system. My research resulted in a great domestic company named "auteldrones" ( auteldrones.com ). So its only a little more expensive, but there are no problems of that kind here. So its only a matter of time until the Mavic air 2 stays a partner in business or gets sold on eBay. Which simply means a change of system for good. If that’s what dji is looking for - it would be only fair to communicate it openly so customers don’t lose money, time and the faith in dji.
2020-10-7
Use props
cryss
lvl.1

Germany

Hello!
I, like many others on this thread, recently purchased the Mavic Air 2 for its portability and good camera. I would like to use it to map historical and archaeological sites and would love to use Pix4Dcapture for this processing. As of next week we will officially be in the “Q4” of 2020. Is there yet any development on a SDK?  Due to covid, much of this field season has been lost in areas that get snow, and now we’re trying to play catch up to make sure that these sites are preserved before winter come and construction next spring destroys some of the sites. Does anyone know if there is another platform or rendition that I could fly manually with the drone and create the digital elevation model?

Got the same Problem here - only in documenting construction sites. Sadfully I went for dji - if I the sdk isn't out by Q1_2021 i will switch to auteldrones. They seem to be able to deliver what customers need.
2020-10-7
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

cryss Posted at 10-7 09:16
Got the same Problem here - only in documenting construction sites. Sadfully I went for dji - if I the sdk isn't out by Q1_2021 i will switch to auteldrones. They seem to be able to deliver what customers need.

Just out of curiosity - why not just use the Mavic 2 Pro that is at the same price point as the Autel drones?
2020-10-7
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

cryss Posted at 10-7 08:58
It's true - we are awaiting the release of the sdk desperately. Winter is coming and this gives the whole topic a little break. But there is no sense in keeping the Mavic air 2 next season if, until then there is no possibility to use litchi to its full extent. This simply means a necessary change of the system. My research resulted in a great domestic company named "auteldrones" ( auteldrones.com ). So its only a little more expensive, but there are no problems of that kind here. So its only a matter of time until the Mavic air 2 stays a partner in business or gets sold on eBay. Which simply means a change of system for good. If that’s what dji is looking for - it would be only fair to communicate it openly so customers don’t lose money, time and the faith in dji.

The autel drones are twice the price of the Mavic Air 2.  But they are around the same price point as the Mavic 2 Pro, which supports waypoints. So just out of curiosity, why not just use the Mavic 2 Pro if money is not the issue for you?
2020-10-7
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174905 ft
Russia

DJI_Lisa Posted at 10-7 15:44
The autel drones are twice the price of the Mavic Air 2.  But they are around the same price point as the Mavic 2 Pro, which supports waypoints. So just out of curiosity, why not just use the Mavic 2 Pro if money is not the issue for you?

I can answer your question.
That is, you are offering to buy a Mavic 2 Pro for the same money, which is much worse in all technical characteristics than the Autel Evo II? The answer is obvious. Evo has 25% longer flight times, 8K camera and everything else. For $ 1,500, an adequate buyer will not even look at the Mavic 2 Pro with its outdated technical characteristics.
2020-10-8
Use props
step8
lvl.1
Iceland

If you follow the release notes there are new SDK releases every 1-2 months which in all fairness is way more frequent than many other devices or packages are updated.
Still, I commiserate with everybody who is itching for an update - my own Mavic Pro has recurring and worsening issues and urgently needs to be replaced for a glacier mapping project I’ve been working on since 2017, but the Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro is unattainable for my budget and the Air 2 not yet supported (I’d be okay with a virtual stick solution even though I would very strongly prefer waypoint support)
2020-10-8
Use props
Fabriciolvm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21585 ft

Brazil

Up!

Any expectations from Mavic Air 2 SDK?
2020-10-9
Use props
djiuser_ijOKOTjEDwih
lvl.1
Flight distance : 351260 ft
United States

I don’t think DJI quite understands.. This is something that is critically important for the US and EU consumers.

DJI,... Don’t do one more single thing before you finish and release the SDK for the Air 2. This isn’t hyperbole. You’re losing people..

Maybe it doesn’t seem like because you’re in China and don’t have your fingers on the pulse of the western consumers. Maybe you should consider it though because let’s be honest, your domestic market is basically prohibited from even using your products. Whether you like it or not, your bread and butter consumer base are in the foreign markets..

I’m a drone guy who operates in drone guy circles... We’re getting impatient. Tap Frank Wang on the shoulder and fill him in...
2020-10-9
Use props
djiuser_YnvqJEi87iJY
lvl.1

United States

Question, as I’m new at flying drones, so what I’m hearing is that the MA2 will never be able to use waypoints other than in hyperlaspe mode, and DJI FLY is the only app that MA2 can use regardless of when the SDK is released at the years end..
2020-10-9
Use props
jcdrone
lvl.1

United States

I won't buy a drone without waypoint support. The Mavic Pro 2 is outdated and the Air 2 and Mini don't support waypoints. One of the smaller drones that can be travelled with should really support waypoints. I guess I'll stick with my Air 1 until something changes.
2020-10-10
Use props
Travelgypsea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26427 ft
United States

DJI_Lisa Posted at 10-7 15:44

The price is usually always an issue when you are running on grants and trying to start your own business. I already bought the Mavic Air 2 (My mistake) and now I am going to have to do a lot more manual work because it didn't have basic technology that almost every other drone has. REALLY leaves a bad taste for a new DJI owner.
2020-10-13
Use props
MaciekD
lvl.1
United States

DJI_Lisa Posted at 10-7 15:42
Just out of curiosity - why not just use the Mavic 2 Pro that is at the same price point as the Autel drones?

DJI_Lisa Asking users that already purchased a product to purchase another product because you cant develop a software that they need is not a solution. Mavic Air 2 is better than Mavic 2 Pro in everything except for camera specs. I wanted a light drone that is quiet and has long flight times to complete the mapping projects. I looked at the specs and noticed that the drone already supports waypoints in hyperlapse. Its pretty standard feature and since the drone is way more advanced in other ways it is a really bad move not to include this in the SDK. For me personally it will be a waste of a thousand dollars if waypoints are not supported. This is not how you want your customers to feel even if you are technically correct in your statements.
2020-10-13
Use props
fans3afe1455
lvl.1

Germany

DJI_Lisa Posted at 10-7 15:42

Since I have the Mavic Air 2 ( when i bought it it was unimaginable that litchi was not supported - I simply didn't know enough ) I started off with DJI. Now I get to learn that dji just doesn't support its own products by their full capability. So its a matter of attitude. Autel delivers out of the box whats needed. No attitude issues here ... as simple as that. Price sort of matters, yes. But its a tool, that should serve the project, and not hinder it. What is the price difference when you simply can't complete your job ? ... Money is not everything ...
2020-10-14
Use props
paul.tuffntlworld.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 359478 ft
United Kingdom

fans3afe1455 Posted at 10-14 09:52
Since I have the Mavic Air 2 ( when i bought it it was unimaginable that litchi was not supported - I simply didn't know enough ) I started off with DJI. Now I get to learn that dji just doesn't support its own products by their full capability. So its a matter of attitude. Autel delivers out of the box whats needed. No attitude issues here ... as simple as that. Price sort of matters, yes. But its a tool, that should serve the project, and not hinder it. What is the price difference when you simply can't complete your job ? ... Money is not everything ...

ok so im a little confused here ,reading the above comments i am thinking that even when DJI release the SDK for the air 2 we still cannot use litchi for waypoints even though there are waypoints in hyper lapse already ??? if so WTF !!!! is it time to sell my ma2 that i love otherwise for an autel ?
2020-10-15
Use props
Joaquin Ramirez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 686 ft
United States

Any news on this? I haven't used my MA2 for months. With no waypoints it is just an expensive mini
2020-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules