Mavic Air 2 SDK Support
63440 246 2020-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_xk8YOdj5Q1xZ
lvl.1

Australia

Good morning all and DJI. This is my first leap into  professional type of drone prior to this purchase I have had mjx bugs 4 (more a toy compared to MA2) price point under 400AU . Being that it is 1/3 of the price has nowhere near the camera capability nor the transmission distance.
The main reason I decided to make the move to the MA2 was to explore the more business side of drone ownership.
Disappointingly I took it for granted that every drone in this price range would come with at least waypoints 2.0 . My bad.  Reading this forum im positive DJI has every intention to incorporate this feature or the ability for 3rd party to do so. It is now October  well into the 4th Quarter of 2020 .. I realise Rome wasn't built in a day also it is my issue as I did not research correctly... all that being said ... my question to you DJI is WHEN ?? Are you in the position to be a bit more specific on opening up the SDK as too put us waiting patiently.. please DJI put us out of our misery
2020-10-15
Use props
djiuser_JgDWoFGZabB0
New

Canada

Hi there,

can you please confirm if the MSDK release coming up for MA2 will support Litchi? Also, can you confirm the possibility of dates, I have seen mid Nov. as a possible release date, can you confirm or deny this? Otherwise, will it be release with high probability before the end of Q4?
2020-10-18
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_JgDWoFGZabB0 Posted at 10-18 21:31
Hi there,

can you please confirm if the MSDK release coming up for MA2 will support Litchi? Also, can you confirm the possibility of dates, I have seen mid Nov. as a possible release date, can you confirm or deny this? Otherwise, will it be release with high probability before the end of Q4?

Litchi is a developer who uses our SDK - we have no way to block any particular developer.  It is up to Litchi to update to our newest SDK release and it will be up to them if they support MA2.

I can confirm the possibility of dates, as already mentioned the SDK team is shooting to have the release before the end of Q4.  The roadmap lists an estimated date of 11/29/2020 but please note, that this is an estimate.  You can view the roadmap here: https://developer.dji.com/user/roadmap/#msdk

Also, please note that 3rd party developers need time to adopt and test the new release version .
2020-10-19
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

fans3afe1455 Posted at 10-14 09:52
Since I have the Mavic Air 2 ( when i bought it it was unimaginable that litchi was not supported - I simply didn't know enough ) I started off with DJI. Now I get to learn that dji just doesn't support its own products by their full capability. So its a matter of attitude. Autel delivers out of the box whats needed. No attitude issues here ... as simple as that. Price sort of matters, yes. But its a tool, that should serve the project, and not hinder it. What is the price difference when you simply can't complete your job ? ... Money is not everything ...

I understand your frustration - since the Mavic Air supports Waypoints and has SDK support then it's more than reasonable to expect the same and more from the next generation of MA2.  I do agree that DJI need to improve in area.  

I appreciate your feedback
2020-10-19
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

MaciekD Posted at 10-13 15:29
DJI_Lisa Asking users that already purchased a product to purchase another product because you cant develop a software that they need is not a solution. Mavic Air 2 is better than Mavic 2 Pro in everything except for camera specs. I wanted a light drone that is quiet and has long flight times to complete the mapping projects. I looked at the specs and noticed that the drone already supports waypoints in hyperlapse. Its pretty standard feature and since the drone is way more advanced in other ways it is a really bad move not to include this in the SDK. For me personally it will be a waste of a thousand dollars if waypoints are not supported. This is not how you want your customers to feel even if you are technically correct in your statements.

I understand your frustration and hear your feedback.  I think everyone is right to want Waypoints from the MA2, since it's the next generation of Mavic Air and should be better.  

What I want to make sure to do, is to pass on to the developers reading this forum what to really expect even if it's not what they want to hear.  And sadly it's not up to the SDK to offer waypoints, if the hardware doesn't support it.  However, automated flight is possible using virtual sticks which will be up to developers to offer for the MA2.  
2020-10-19
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

MaciekD Posted at 10-13 15:29
DJI_Lisa Asking users that already purchased a product to purchase another product because you cant develop a software that they need is not a solution. Mavic Air 2 is better than Mavic 2 Pro in everything except for camera specs. I wanted a light drone that is quiet and has long flight times to complete the mapping projects. I looked at the specs and noticed that the drone already supports waypoints in hyperlapse. Its pretty standard feature and since the drone is way more advanced in other ways it is a really bad move not to include this in the SDK. For me personally it will be a waste of a thousand dollars if waypoints are not supported. This is not how you want your customers to feel even if you are technically correct in your statements.

Sorry - there is a misunderstanding in my comment.  I am not asking anyone to purchase another brand!

I get your frustration and my goal is to pass on information to developers in this forum about what to expect when the SDK does release support for the MA2.  

The SDK is already capable of supporting waypoints, so the limitation is in the M2A hardware.  However, automated flights using virtual sticks is still possible with the MA2 and it will be up to each app developer to offer that option for their users.  
2020-10-19
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_YnvqJEi87iJY Posted at 10-9 18:11
Question, as I’m new at flying drones, so what I’m hearing is that the MA2 will never be able to use waypoints other than in hyperlaspe mode, and DJI FLY is the only app that MA2 can use regardless of when the SDK is released at the years end..

I'm not sure if I'm responding to a software developer or a pilot who wants to use 3rd party apps - so I'll give you two answers:

3rd party app developers will be able to support MA2 after DJI's next SDK release - it will likely take them time to adopt the new version and it is up to the developer if they will support MA2

As a developer, the MA2 hardware doesn't support DJI's waypoints APIs, however the SDK does offer virtual sticks control over the drone which is an alternate way to make automated waypoint flight available to users of your app
2020-10-19
Use props
fans3afe1455
lvl.1

Germany

DJI_Lisa Posted at 10-19 13:20
I'm not sure if I'm responding to a software developer or a pilot who wants to use 3rd party apps - so I'll give you two answers:

3rd party app developers will be able to support MA2 after DJI's next SDK release - it will likely take them time to adopt the new version and it is up to the developer if they will support MA2

Did I just get this right ... the MA2 doesn't support - other than the MA or the MM - DJIs waypoint APIs ? So the better MA2 is worse than the MA in this respect ? - please respond ...thanks
2020-10-19
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174905 ft
Russia

1) DJI programmers can easily add waypoint support to the Mavic Air 2 firmware. Why don't they do it? Do not want. They are copying Apple's policies and want to keep essential features for their most expensive drones. That is, they intentionally did not add waypoints to the drone firmware.

2) Virtual sticks are of no value for professionals, as they unnecessarily load the mobile device with calculations and do not allow you to shoot smoothly for a long time. As soon as the signal from the remote control completely disappears for at least 1 second, the flight with the help of virtual sticks will immediately stop and smooth flight frames will be lost. Flying with virtual sticks is not automatic, it is fake, and flying with virtual sticks will never be as smooth as a real Waypoint.

3) In the end, the Mavic Air 2 turned out to be an expensive Mavic Mini, to which they just added ActiveTrack and improved the camera. For travelers, the Mavic Mini is now clearly more preferable due to its size and the ability to charge the battery from the Power Bank, and for professionals the Mavic Air 2 without Waypoint support is of no value.
2020-10-20
Use props
fans3afe1455
lvl.1

Germany

Super pilot Posted at 10-20 09:57
1) DJI programmers can easily add waypoint support to the Mavic Air 2 firmware. Why don't they do it? Do not want. They are copying Apple's policies and want to keep essential features for their most expensive drones. That is, they intentionally did not add waypoints to the drone firmware.

2) Virtual sticks are of no value for professionals, as they unnecessarily load the mobile device with calculations and do not allow you to shoot smoothly for a long time. As soon as the signal from the remote control completely disappears for at least 1 second, the flight with the help of virtual sticks will immediately stop and smooth flight frames will be lost. Flying with virtual sticks is not automatic, it is fake, and flying with virtual sticks will never be as smooth as a real Waypoint.

... for that reason the MA2 will go and with it DJI as a whole... Autel wins ...

https://www.marcotec-shop.de/de/autel-evo-ii-pro-rugged-bundle.html# - getting even cheaper ;-)
2020-10-20
Use props
vg1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1640367 ft
Poland

Super pilot Posted at 10-20 09:57

"Super pilot" Bravo, you wrote everything that we all know very well. "DJI_Lisa" please stop lying, it is only your good will to share the waypoint. It is enough to go two desks away or two floors to change these imaginary limitations. Stop lying.
2020-10-20
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Russia

Judging by the chosen line of behavior of the DJI company, it becomes clear: they do not like the users of their products, but they really love their money! Otherwise, they would have met the owners of MA2 halfway and added support for Waypoints to the firmware, since the drone has an obstacle avoidance system.
I have not yet decided on the decision whether to sell it or leave it.
2020-10-21
Use props
djiuser_L7sXc2tnH8rY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1060226 ft
Germany

The Air 2 is fantastic! Its my first drone, i like it. I buyed this drone, because i want to start working with drones on my farm. I wanted to see, how a professional drone works. In Future i plan a step to the agras T16. But i started to get Informations, wrote to dji and got no answer yet. Lisa, is dji waiting for the new drone law in europe? Or why is there a so big time between drone release and sdk release? I think so, because the law was skipped for one year after the drone was released. Did you plan to release the sdk in last Januaray? Nobody knew at that time that corona will change everything.
2020-10-22
Use props
Mitch_111
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1330495 ft
  • >>>
United States

Super pilot Posted at 10-21 06:54
Judging by the chosen line of behavior of the DJI company, it becomes clear: they do not like the users of their products, but they really love their money! Otherwise, they would have met the owners of MA2 halfway and added support for Waypoints to the firmware, since the drone has an obstacle avoidance system.
I have not yet decided on the decision whether to sell it or leave it.

Without waypoints I have little use for this drone.  Would be nice if DJI would come out with a clear answer as to whether it will ever contain waypoints.   Instead we’re all strung along waiting and hoping for an SDK Christmas miracle.
2020-10-22
Use props
vg1
Second Officer
Poland

If this is DJI's approach to users of their drones, then I will get rid of all 5 DJI drones I already own and will not buy anything else from them. And information about their approach to customers, I will write wherever there is even the slightest interest in their products.
2020-10-22
Use props
djiuser_JgDWoFGZabB0
New

Canada

DJI_Lisa Posted at 10-19 12:54
Litchi is a developer who uses our SDK - we have no way to block any particular developer.  It is up to Litchi to update to our newest SDK release and it will be up to them if they support MA2.

I can confirm the possibility of dates, as already mentioned the SDK team is shooting to have the release before the end of Q4.  The roadmap lists an estimated date of 11/29/2020 but please note, that this is an estimate.  You can view the roadmap here: https://developer.dji.com/user/roadmap/#msdk

Thanks, that was helpful.
2020-10-23
Use props
BlueHawk77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1496791 ft
Turkey

vg1 Posted at 10-20 11:25
"Super pilot" Bravo, you wrote everything that we all know very well. "DJI_Lisa" please stop lying, it is only your good will to share the waypoint. It is enough to go two desks away or two floors to change these imaginary limitations. Stop lying.

I agree both of you.

This is nothing technical. But all about $$$

All what we write is of little interest to DJI Team unless they really feel a drop in their sales. But what they miss is when you feel it, it is generally too late...
2020-10-23
Use props
MaciekD
lvl.1
United States

I am hoping that DJI_Lisa is just wrong about all this. Even Mavic Air has the waypoint support on Litchi. And if the waypoints are not exposed but are available in the hardware (which they must be because hyperlapse supports it) it's just a simple firmware update to expose the waypoints. It would be really disappointing if the MA2 is worse than MA1 with this regard. Since I knew Mavic Air supports waypoints on lichi how can they simply take away this ability especially that it states that the hardware supports it on Mavic Air 2 Advertisement.

It is clear to me that if a firmware update will not expose the waypoints it does strongly point to a financial decision  to keep their drones in specific  feature "tiers" to get more money out of customers. I am alright paying more but I do not want to own an dated drone like Mavic 2 Pro with shorter flight times and louder props. If DJI wants to sell waypoints feature separately they should be clear about it and I would be willing to pay the additional money for the firmware update. Removing a feature from a newer drone without the regard for existing customers is a bad move in my opinion.
2020-10-25
Use props
Gigahurts
New

United States

MaciekD Posted at 10-25 14:16
I am hoping that DJI_Lisa is just wrong about all this. Even Mavic Air has the waypoint support on Litchi. And if the waypoints are not exposed but are available in the hardware (which they must be because hyperlapse supports it) it's just a simple firmware update to expose the waypoints. It would be really disappointing if the MA2 is worse than MA1 with this regard. Since I knew Mavic Air supports waypoints on lichi how can they simply take away this ability especially that it states that the hardware supports it on Mavic Air 2 Advertisement.

It is clear to me that if a firmware update will not expose the waypoints it does strongly point to a financial decision  to keep their drones in specific  feature "tiers" to get more money out of customers. I am alright paying more but I do not want to own an dated drone like Mavic 2 Pro with shorter flight times and louder props. If DJI wants to sell waypoints feature separately they should be clear about it and I would be willing to pay the additional money for the firmware update. Removing a feature from a newer drone without the regard for existing customers is a bad move in my opinion.

Please everybody, give DJI_Lisa the benefit of the doubt.  She is not single handedly in charge of releasing the SDK.  This project that is  a collaboration of many individuals are requires a collective effort from many teams of individuls and other developers from many facets of the software development from the ground up. The firmware integration, HAL development and IOS/Android development are run in parallel and additional functionality is typically given room for in the early stages, but it simply isn't as easy as flipping a switch in the firmware to allow for waypoint integration, there are many, many parameters that need accounting for and eventually integration of.  The SDK will (hopefully) be released before the end of the year and development will begin on application integration.  Waypoint integration will definitely be apart of the MA2, just give the SDK developers time and allow the platform to mature.  Don't look too far into the future and btch and moan, chill, relax and be patient.  This is a complex device and all (of the MA1) and more features will be integrated in time.  In the mean time, sign up as a DJI developer (I did) and see if you can use any of the SDKs currently available to even get your controller to echo "Hello World", then tell me about how easy it is to enable waypoint integration in the firmware (and the SDK for "f"s sake).

The Mavic Mini has waypoint (albeit, untested and very alpha) support through RosettaDrone 2 - https://github.com/The1only/rosettadrone . Granted, I have not tested this, as I do not have a mavlink based ground station.  The DJI Fly app is, for all intents and purposes, in its infancy, it needs time to develop, and DJI will not release anything until it is 99% certain it is rock solid.  The DJI Go app is very mature and many SDK releases have... been released.

BTW, I have 2 Mavic 2 Pros, 1 Mavic 2 Zoom, 2 Mavic Air 2, 1 Mavic Air, 3 Mavic Mini, 5 Sparks, 3 Phantom 3, DJI Goggles (White), DJI OSMO action (and an Autel Evo, shhh) and a crap ton of batteries.  I have purchased 90% of the "drones" or "quadcopters" or UAVs (whatever you want to call them) crashed, ie cameras ripped of, arms ripped off, main board or esc needed replacement, motors, collision sensors, imu(s) & gps(s) - typically on the same board, replaced smd down to 1/2mm in size, done surface level component diagnosis and I also repair the remotes (transmitters).  Ohh, my point, lol,

The Mavic 2 Pros and the Zoom I own are (I know I'm about to start an argument here) by far the quietest of any of the others (I also own a crap ton of other drones, fpv racing, yuneec, hubsan, etc (obvious I enjoy repair electronics to anyone?)  The props are not louder than the 2 MA2s I own, they are much quieter and the flight time is very similar +-30 mins.  The 3 Mavic 2s I have 10 batteries for, but I only have 4 batteries for the MA2s, maybe 5 to 10 flights on all.  The RPMs of the MA2 is higher than the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom and the DJI branded "Low-Noise" props are very, very quiet.  I actually fly with a guy who is almost completely blind (scary, I know), but he uses a high contrast phone and can actually operate a drone (with the help of his son) and he cannot believe how quiet the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom are - point here is, HE IS BLIND (ALMOST COMPLETELY)  and he can sure as heck hear a crap ton (I know, not again) better than I can.  Seems being blind makes your other senses stronger.  Believe it or not, the MA2 is louder than the Mavic 2 Pro, but it may get 2 minutes of extra flight time.  I do like the 1 cree led on the MA2, but I like the 2 on the M2Pro and Zoom more.

Also, the Autel Evos are awesome and the controller is awesome, but, not light on the bottom of the Evo 1 (not sure about the 2) and goodness gracious, the parts are nearly impossible to come by (affordably), you practically have to buy another wrecked drone to fix the wrecked one you bought, lol.  That's what turns me off of them (I fix drones, what can I say).

Anyway, my 2 cents, take care and stay healthy everybody (and please be patient, or fly your drones into a tree or wall or even a fresh body of water, so that I may purchase them, and repair them (and obviously not sell any of them, lol).

2020-10-28
Use props
djiuser_TDy9YFoAjya2
lvl.1
United States

We bought a DJI Mavic Air 2, but it turns out that it will not support the waypoint (most likely even in the future). Come on, this function is supported by its predecessor Mavic, but it's taken out from the newer model. Now, we have to return it and pay the restocking fee. Totally a waste of money and time.
2020-10-29
Use props
MikeCH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10681565 ft
Germany

Some of you are so rude and childish, really embarrassing. Please remember that DJI offers the SDK for FREE. If you know anything about firmware and software development, you know that it doesn't happen overnight.

The technical specifications describe WHOLE-AND-LARGE what the drone can and cannot do. You should select your model according to these criteria. And if you want to have a model with waypoint support, then buy the Mavic Pro!

And then to accuse DJI of omitting features to make money with more expensive models - yes, damn it, what's wrong with that? That's the way market economy works and that's how everybody does it. Also DJI is a company that has to earn money to survive.

Come down from your trip and stop behaving like little kids. PLEASE.
2020-11-1
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Russia

MikeCH Posted at 11-1 16:26
Some of you are so rude and childish, really embarrassing. Please remember that DJI offers the SDK for FREE. If you know anything about firmware and software development, you know that it doesn't happen overnight.

The technical specifications describe WHOLE-AND-LARGE what the drone can and cannot do. You should select your model according to these criteria. And if you want to have a model with waypoint support, then buy the Mavic Pro!

I'm a programmer since 2010, I've been developing applications for IOS since 2013. I made my application for controlling a drone using the Mobile SDK in 2017! And you will still tell me that programming is difficult ?! It's easy if you're a professional! So I consider the DJI team to be professionals, and therefore I realize that adding already debugged and proven functions (such as waypoints) to the drone firmware takes a maximum of 1 hour. These functions are clearly written as when and are stored as templates.

And before buying a drone, I asked DJI tech support if the drone firmware supports waypoints. I was told that all drones except the M300RTK support V1 waypoints, otherwise I would not have bought it. DJI has no problem with money, because their drones are not $ 100 and production costs are not high either.
2020-11-2
Use props
MaciekD
lvl.1
United States

I am a software developer. My dad is a firmware developer. Calling someone a child does not make you an adult
2020-11-2
Use props
DJI MA2
lvl.2

Norway

As DJI_Lisa said, the SDK only reflects in software what the hardware can perform or deliver. It is pretty obvious that the developers wouldn't be able to control the camera it it wasn't installed on the machine.
This being said, it is pretty clear that MA2 HAS GOT the hardware capabilities to navigate to a waypoint since this in it's very basic is a GPS coordinate. It is capable to 'go home', which is a GPS coordinate, and it is also capable to go to different preprogrammed waypoints when it is already flown, marked and saved (hyperlapse).

One could argue that the number of waypoints in hyperlapse is limited, but that is obviously a software limit, since the storage for a few (thousand) more gps coordinates are easily accessible on internal memory.

Which could only lead to one conclusion; If DJI is not opening up to pre programmed routes, it is only because they (for some reason) doesn't want to. They can not blame the hardware limitations. That is here proven wrong.

So please dear SDK developers; Open up these possibilities which are present in our platforms.

2020-11-4
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Russia

You saw? DJI has updated the DJI Fly app (Version 1.2.0) for IOS and it now supports the DJI Mini 2 drone, which they didn't even present! Nerves give up?
2020-11-4
Use props
DJI MA2
lvl.2

Norway

BTW; I had a dialog with Litchi regarding my previous post, and the fully agree with the conclusion writing;

"
Hi,

Yes it is possible for DJI to add waypoint to these drones, they are more than capable of this feature. Whether or not they do it is up to them.
If they decide not to add it, then out of signal range missions are not possible since we then need to control the drone in real time with Litchi and no signal means no control.

We do not have exact release date, only estimated which is november 30th 2020.

Kind Regards,
Litchi
Online help at https://flylitchi.com/help
"
2020-11-5
Use props
Fabriciolvm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21585 ft

Brazil

Is DJI paying you to defend it? Because I can’t imagine otherwise.

It is clear that the Mavic Air 2 hardware has no limitations for the inclusion of waypoints and that countless consumers have been deceived by deceptive advertisements by DJI.
2020-11-5
Use props
fans3afe1455
lvl.1

Germany

Is there a more legit DJI Source then dji_lisa ? Maybe we ar all just informed by a poorly informed intermediary... It just doesn't make sense to exclude MA2 from waypoints.
2020-11-6
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Russia

If the SDK does not add support for Waypoint, then I see no point in the SDK for MA2. I am not going to use useless virtual sticks. It's easier to use the DJI Fly app and struggle with frozen wooden hands in cold weather.
2020-11-7
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
United States

Super pilot Posted at 11-7 13:56
If the SDK does not add support for Waypoint, then I see no point in the SDK for MA2. I am not going to use useless virtual sticks. It's easier to use the DJI Fly app and struggle with frozen wooden hands in cold weather.

I understand the need to vent about this and that is one way to use this forum.  

But if you or anyone else, change your mind and decide to look into virtual sticks I have some resources for you to get started.  And I'd like to note that some developers actually prefer Virtual Sticks over Waypoints even when the drone's firmware/hardware support direct use of Mission APIs.

Droneblock's Dennis Baldwin has some great tutorials on Virtual sticks - here is one:

Dronelink provides developer tools for advanced use of virtual sticks and missions:
Dronelink Announces Full Support For Mavic Mini Including Waypoints:
Dronelink Github: https://github.com/dronelink
2020-11-10
Use props
djiuser_h34l97GhWZP4
New
Flight distance : 345902 ft
Ukraine

This is very sad((((
I hope some day some Robin Hood will upload a custom FW which will support all blocked functionality, such as "autonomous way points" and "GJI goggles support".
It even may be you DJI...
2020-11-11
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Russia

DJI_Lisa Posted at 11-10 13:29
I understand the need to vent about this and that is one way to use this forum.  

But if you or anyone else, change your mind and decide to look into virtual sticks I have some resources for you to get started.  And I'd like to note that some developers actually prefer Virtual Sticks over Waypoints even when the drone's firmware/hardware support direct use of Mission APIs.

1) Lisa, you are already bored with your virtual sticks. If I want to fly around a large cheekbone, hill or mountain, how do I do it? Having flown over the rock, the connection with the drone will be lost and it will start returning home! I do not need it! Or do I have to run around the rock all day to shoot it from all sides ??? My drone will not fly even 600 meters as it will lose connection! You suggest using virtual sticks instead of waypoints, that sucks!

2) And now the most important thing. Do you understand what is happening? Why doesn't the DJI team respect third-party app developers? Virtual sticks were created to be able to control the drone from a mobile device, without a remote control. That is, they are originally intended to perform the role of primitive control. Now DJI, for its own reasons, does not want to add the Waypoint function to the Mavic Air 2 firmware and invites developers to develop an alternative waypoint themselves. What for? Why do that? It's like if I buy a Tesla model 3 and they tell me that there is no autopilot, but if you want this function, then you can develop it yourself and pilot the car using a mobile application. Sounds silly? And there is! Why would I reinvent the wheel and tinker with virtual sticks when there is a ready-made and debugged Waypoint feature that you don't want to add to the firmware? If you do not want to do it yourself, then I urge other developers not to humiliate themselves to using virtual sticks.
2020-11-11
Use props
djiuser_Yq790WlC4YWq
New

Spain

Hey, just created an account here to share my perspective. Been really excitedly researching the Mavic Air 2 and the Mini 2, tending towards the Mavic 2 to buy as my first DJI product.

I spent the last years building my own racing quads, but decided I wanted to buy a DJI to be able to take photos in a structured way so that I can create 3d models from different real world objects.

I'm honestly shocked to hear that there is no waypoint support in the MA2, what a strange and disappointing decision.

Really don't understand why DJI would choose to take this path (no pun intended). Going to have to reconsider my purchase.

DJI software team - you should be celebrating delivering additional cool features that delight your customers, not needlessly removing them for a quick buck :/

DJI Lisa - appreciate your energy trying to convince people that virtual sticks are an alternative, but honestly my advice would be to "own the situation" and be honest that this is purely a $$$ decision.
2020-11-11
Use props
vg1
Second Officer
Poland

DJI_Lisa You know nothing about the operation of the DRONELINK app and its terrible problems with operating the Mavic Mini with your SDK. The first problem that you have reported long ago about errors in the SDK, link.
And all the rest of the problems reported by other people are here --> bug reports.
2020-11-12
Use props
vg1
Second Officer
Poland

See what camera the Mavic Mini 2 has, exactly the same as the Mavic Mini 1. In the new version it was possible to do 4K and raw and in the Mini there is no chance.
10:17

2020-11-12
Use props
2afer
lvl.2
Turkey

So, we expect the Mavic Air 2 support of Mobile SDK on Nov. 30th. That's good news.
But, it will not support the waypoint missions. @DJI_Lisa, can you confirm that? Although you are not part of the hardware team, I am sure you can get this information much easily than us.
If SDK comes without the waypoint support (either due to hardware or software), it will be a very big deal breaker for most of us. @DJI_Lisa, I hope you come with good news regarding the waypoint mission.

2020-11-15
Use props
Crippled MA2
lvl.1

United States

Update from DJI.  SDK release moved back.  Still no waypoints because of memory limitation?  Take a look.  I hope someone smarter than me about the hardware can verify this, or is it just a new official excuse?

2020-11-20
Use props
djiuser_fwtdh0d947ZX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1638274 ft
United Kingdom

Crippled MA2 Posted at 11-20 07:37
Update from DJI.  SDK release moved back.  Still no waypoints because of memory limitation?  Take a look.  I hope someone smarter than me about the hardware can verify this, or is it just a new official excuse?

[view_image]

The DJI response confirms my theory that the MA2 is short on memory and/or processsing power. Why else would APAS 3 not work when filming in a anything but the most basic resolution settings? Arguably APAS is a safety feature, and should therefor work in as many modes as possible. But as soon as you film at slightly higher frame rates, starting at 48fps in 1080p, 2.7k or 4K, APAS is deactivated. Why would the functionality of a safety feature be limited by frame rates? The only plausible explanation is that the MA2  memory/processor cannot cope with the sensor data it is processing for APAS to work whilst also processing large video data needing to be written from the image sensor to the card. And that issue is limited by hardware which is decided upon during the design and specifications phase.

Aside from storing the mission instructions and parameters,  I’d imagine waypoints requires quite a bit of processor resources to analyse the surrounding environment using the quad’s sensors and actively monitor for objects to avoid (similar to APAS functionality) whilst processing video data AND executing an preprogrammed mission autonomously.

Arguably DJI could have released a standard MA2 without waypoints, and an X one for $50 dollars more with waypoints made possible thanks to increased memory/better processor. They could also have considered an alternative firmware version without APAS and with  waypoints at limited resolution/frame rates.

Of course, I could be completely wrong here...
2020-11-20
Use props
djiuser_fwtdh0d947ZX
lvl.2
United Kingdom

vg1 Posted at 11-12 11:41
See what camera the Mavic Mini 2 has, exactly the same as the Mavic Mini 1. In the new version it was possible to do 4K and raw and in the Mini there is no chance.
10:17
link

The data from the video sensor to the micro sd card still had to pass through the motherboard where processor and memory could have been constraining factors with the MM1. Gimbal and camera sensor are important, but they are not the sole hardware pieces that determine what resolution and image types the quad can handle.
2020-11-20
Use props
djiuser_fwtdh0d947ZX
lvl.2
United Kingdom

2afer Posted at 11-15 11:57
So, we expect the Mavic Air 2 support of Mobile SDK on Nov. 30th. That's good news.
But, it will not support the waypoint missions. @DJI_Lisa, can you confirm that? Although you are not part of the hardware team, I am sure you can get this information much easily than us.
If SDK comes without the waypoint support (either due to hardware or software), it will be a very big deal breaker for most of us. @DJI_Lisa, I hope you come with good news regarding the waypoint mission.

DJI_lisa has been consistently trying to manage expectations on this forum and has been transparent in explaining why the SDK can’t magically create waypoint functionality. She’s even gone so far as to side with MA2 users, but the SDK team can’t change the reality of the MA2 being somewhat shortchanged in the hardware/processor or memory department. Software can’t change the hardware limitations that are the cause why waypoints will not be enabled for the MA2.

I also have had confirmation from DJI support that hardware choices made by the programme team are the reason why waypoints won’t be possible now or in the future.

If you already invested in the MA2, you most likely did so on spec and those specs didn’t include waypoints. As disappointing as that may be, look into virtual sticks as a workaround and enjoy your MA2. And let’s hope that the successor of the MA2 will have side and up sensors, waypoint, an improved image sensor and a better gimbal as well as improved protection against impact.

Happy droning!
2020-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules