Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air 2 SDK Support
63363 246 2020-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Super pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174905 ft
Russia

djiuser_1PLsDYumgDrp Posted at 12-1 21:59
Hi

As far as i know the mavic mini 2 doesn't support waypoints in tradtional way (upload/offline) also.

It is not known yet.

Remember, virtual sticks cannot perform Waypoints, they can only simulate it. Waypoints mode is a fully automatic mode, in which a mission is loaded into the drone's memory and executed according to a script written by DJI professionals. This is the best and proven option.

Every developer trying to simulate Waypoints mode does it differently. This means that a user trying to create the same Waypoints flight using virtual sticks in applications from two different developers can get different final results. One flight will take 2 minutes, the other 2 minutes and 30 seconds. The question arises. Why are the developers trying so hard to simulate a mode that DJI itself doesn't want to give users of some of its new products? The drones crashed by users will be on the conscience of these developers, and possibly the wallet.
2020-12-2
Use props
djiuser_mIxng4kU8fq7
lvl.1

United States

DJI needs to disable automated way points in all of their drones that are operating in countries with Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) requirements. These products have far too much range to trust non-professional remote pilots to maintain VLOS while using automated way points.
2020-12-2
Use props
marcbou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1220479 ft
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_mIxng4kU8fq7 Posted at 12-2 05:26
DJI needs to disable automated way points in all of their drones that are operating in countries with Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) requirements. These products have far too much range to trust non-professional remote pilots to maintain VLOS while using automated way points.

that's fine, we'll just disable purchasing of DJI products.
2020-12-2
Use props
djiuser_mIxng4kU8fq7
lvl.1

United States

That's fine, we'll just disable remote pilot licenses as needed.
2020-12-2
Use props
djiuser_c3TdpwO0gRbH
lvl.1

United States

Developer road map has been updated with an Estimated Release Time: 2020-12-13.
2020-12-2
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Russia

djiuser_mIxng4kU8fq7 Posted at 12-2 05:26

If DJI removes the ability to automatically fly in Waypoints mode, then I will immediately sell all my DJI drones and monitor products from other manufacturers. I have been using this mode since 2017 and it makes piloting a lot easier. If DJI does not want to use automatic Waypoints in some countries where there are requirements for VLOS, then let them turn them off programmatically, like the FCC. FCC is legal in some countries, but prohibited in others, and DJI has learned to change this mode depending on the country in which the drone is used. Or let them somehow check the pilot's license and experience.
2020-12-2
Use props
djiuser_mIxng4kU8fq7
lvl.1

United States

Super pilot Posted at 12-2 07:17
If DJI removes the ability to automatically fly in Waypoints mode, then I will immediately sell all my DJI drones and monitor products from other manufacturers. I have been using this mode since 2017 and it makes piloting a lot easier. If DJI does not want to use automatic Waypoints in some countries where there are requirements for VLOS, then let them turn them off programmatically, like the FCC. FCC is legal in some countries, but prohibited in others, and DJI has learned to change this mode depending on the country in which the drone is used. Or let them somehow check the pilot's license and experience.

Yes, they should be able to selectively enable this mode when and where it is appropriate to do so. It just isn't appropriate for this mode to be available to everyone, everywhere, at all times.
2020-12-2
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Russia

djiuser_mIxng4kU8fq7 Posted at 12-2 07:27
Yes, they should be able to selectively enable this mode when and where it is appropriate to do so. It just isn't appropriate for this mode to be available to everyone, everywhere, at all times.

I agree with that. I would leave this mode to professionals. But the point is, pros can use any drone in the DJI lineup, not just the most expensive ones. For example, I could safely use this mode with the Mini2 drone in countries where it is allowed, since I already have a lot of experience in mission design. But this drone has a minimum set of modes and it will not work. DJI needs to somehow check the level and experience of the drone pilot before take off and, on this basis, provide access to the modes allowed in the country. It's my opinion.
2020-12-2
Use props
fans25af3818
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29170 ft
United States

Has the Mavic Air 2 SDK been released yet?
2020-12-2
Use props
TobH
lvl.2
Austria

Last update was, release postponed to December 13th. I hope DJI acknowledges our frustration and tries to find a solution. Sorry Lisa for having to take the heat. If the MA2 can't execute a function the Mavic Air had no problem with, I'd like to know in what regard its hardware is inferior?
2020-12-2
Use props
RobinBanks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 494974 ft
Canada

TobH Posted at 12-2 19:08
Last update was, release postponed to December 13th. I hope DJI acknowledges our frustration and tries to find a solution. Sorry Lisa for having to take the heat. If the MA2 can't execute a function the Mavic Air had no problem with, I'd like to know in what regard its hardware is inferior?

you will never get the answer you seek because there is no REAL reason for MA2 not to have waypoints for reasons exhaustively explained in pages 1-4 and DJI will never fess up about the truth, but for tldr i will recap:

Pop Quiz, answer YES to any TWO or more of the following to qualify for waypoints
1. Does the device have GPS?
2. Does the device have object avoidance?
3. Does the device have RTH (which is a single waypoint)
4. Does the device have waypoint functionality elsewhere in the app/firmware? (Liiiiiiiiiiike I dunno, hyperlapse maybe?)

this is purely to keep their products tiered and avoid whats called brand cannibalization (which is where one of your companies products crushes sales of your other products just because there happens to be shared functionality on both.)

think of it like this, if my company makes home cooking appliances, and i already sell a griddle that will through the use of swappable plates, grill paninis, make personal size snack cakes, grill steak/burgers, make pancakes, or make waffles, it wouldnt make much sense to also sell a panini grill, a george forman grill clone, and a waffle iron, as sales of our "all-in-one" unit will cannibalize sales of the single use models, even if priced aggressively
2020-12-2
Use props
fans3afe1455
lvl.1

Germany

Please let us all remember : As long as the MA1 is fully supported ( SDK ) it is explicitly suggesting, that the MA2 will be able to do the same. So... DJI is - in full consciousness - missleading new customers. Mostlikely the MA2 is being bought by first time owners - who don't have the knowledge yet to be aware of that. DJI is therefore deliberatly tricking people in to bying a very expensive toy for nothing. The only way to react to this is by spreading this knowledge in all social networks. Its so sad, that a company, that is able to produce such high quality products has such a crooked management. ...
2020-12-3
Use props
Fabriciolvm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21585 ft

Brazil

I can only say that I am extremely disappointed and disgusted. I feel like I was cheated and that DJI doesn't give a damn about its customers.
2020-12-3
Use props
damn_drone
lvl.1

United States

This was an interesting read. Being a programmer I see were all your concerns are.  Extreme delays on these sdk releases is concerning. One would think that since this is not their first sdk that future releases would just get easier and easier. Purposely locking of capabilities seems to not make sense between the drones as the bigger drones have their benefits. More sensors and possibilities for accessories and better /faster hardware.  So the idea of a Mini2 canabolizing mavicPro is like saying a george foreman grill canabolizing an outdoor grill because it gets just as hot. There are use cases for both and obviously the bigger grill can do what the smaller grill can and some.

I own the Mini2 hopping to get my feet wet with the sdk when it is released and plan on buying a pro once I become more experienced.  That said the Mini2 would be my primary traveling companion and would naturally want to unlock it's full potential.

Bottom line, everyone here hopes DJI does right by us
2020-12-3
Use props
Learts Drones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 153182 ft

Brazil

sdk has not been released yet. won't we have waypoints? where's @Lisa?
2020-12-3
Use props
Bluegizmo83
lvl.1
United States

DJI, what is going on with the Air 2 SDK? We were promised an SDK before the end of 2020, that's 3 weeks away!
2020-12-7
Use props
2afer
lvl.2
Turkey

Bluegizmo83 Posted at 12-7 19:22
DJI, what is going on with the Air 2 SDK? We were promised an SDK before the end of 2020, that's 3 weeks away!

The release date for the SDK is updated to Dec. 14th. (It was Nov.30th, previously).

We are eagerly waiting for DJI to pull a rabbit out of a hat regarding waypoints.
2020-12-8
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Crippled MA2 Posted at 11-20 07:37
Update from DJI.  SDK release moved back.  Still no waypoints because of memory limitation?  Take a look.  I hope someone smarter than me about the hardware can verify this, or is it just a new official excuse?

[view_image]

Hope they are on schedule for the release of MA2 SDK on the 13th this time.
2020-12-9
Use props
djiuser_0I2QzihZ6bkD
New

United States

Nice! Is the SDK still coming out by the end of year? I won't buy Mavic Air 2 until the SDK comes out .
2020-12-9
Use props
Braling#1027
lvl.2
Flight distance : 617346 ft
Indonesia

Ty Lisa.. for sdk release now...
2020-12-10
Use props
tokyopete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1955154 ft
United States

Yep, looks like "SDK V4.14 TRIAL1" is out! Developers start your engines!
2020-12-10
Use props
miniDrone360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 25338924 ft
  • >>>
Iran

Wow! Finally DJI Mavic Air 2 SDK released! https://developer.dji.com/
2020-12-10
Use props
Mitch_111
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1330495 ft
  • >>>
United States

miniDrone360 Posted at 12-10 13:48
Wow! Finally DJI Mavic Air 2 SDK released! https://developer.dji.com/

Waypoints?
2020-12-10
Use props
Learts Drones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 153182 ft

Brazil

Waypoints?
2020-12-10
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

head tracking?
2020-12-10
Use props
iadesdragon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17920 ft
Germany

Head tracking is a feature of the App not the SDK. Wait for Litchi and Co to get an Beta for SDK 4.14 :-)
2020-12-11
Use props
Fabriciolvm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21585 ft

Brazil

Waypoints? (please, tell me yes)
2020-12-11
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1640367 ft
Poland

Anything known about support for waypoints?
2020-12-11
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Poland

DroneLink:
"DJI has now released the 4.14 SDK on their site with support for the Mavic Air 2.
We tried it yesterday (on iOS) and there seems to be a bug in the DJI SDK that causes the app to immediately crash. We reported it to DJI and they are investigating."

LINK
2020-12-11
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

iadesdragon Posted at 12-11 02:13
Head tracking is a feature of the App not the SDK. Wait for Litchi and Co to get an Beta for SDK 4.14 :-)

For a 3rd party app, head tracking feature can't be implemented unless all necessary functions/hooks are provided in the SDK.
Just like waypoint people are asking here to see if it's supported in the SDK.
2020-12-11
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Just received it from Litchi.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initially we will only support gimbal pitch the same as other drone models. But we will definitely try to add gimbal yaw at some point for all drone that support it.
We do not have a date yet for when MA2 will be supported. It is very early stage. The iOS SDK for example claims that it works with MA2 but for us it does not connect at all
Kind Regards,

Litchi
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I asked Litchi why their app only supports pitch and not yaw because Maven in iOS does support both pitch and yaw on Mavic 2.
MA2 has hardware capable of implementing both pitch and yaw head tracking just like M2.
But whether or not allowed by SDK remains to be seen.

Maven also said it's too early to say.

*edit*Developer of Maven just confirmed that they successfully tested tilt AND pan control of the gimbal on MA2 using the released SDK.
Tilt and pan head tracking is coming to Maven.
Litchi on the other hand, still don't have pan control with M2, let alone MA2.

2020-12-11
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Poland

2020-12-12
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Russia

vg1 Posted at 12-11 09:34
Anything known about support for waypoints?

I am disappointed and want to share my bitter feelings with you. DJI has not added Waypoint support.
The [DJISDKManager missionControl] .waypointMissionOperator.currentState object returns the DJIWaypointMissionStateNotSupported value. I need to sell MA2 while it can make good money.
2020-12-12
Use props
Visual Perceptions
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1275295 ft
United States

Super pilot Posted at 12-12 13:34
I am disappointed and want to share my bitter feelings with you. DJI has not added Waypoint support.
The [DJISDKManager missionControl] .waypointMissionOperator.currentState object returns the DJIWaypointMissionStateNotSupported value. I need to sell MA2 while it can make good money.

I believe this is what we unfortunately expected as DJI has been communicating to us up to this point. We will have to depend on virtual sticks at this point.
2020-12-12
Use props
ejackson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 158786 ft
United States

Visual Perceptions Posted at 12-12 16:27
I believe this is what we unfortunately expected as DJI has been communicating to us up to this point. We will have to depend on virtual sticks at this point.

This is unfortunate.  I bought the MA2 and misunderstood the waypoints capability in the hyperlapse setting.  Can someone explain virtual sticks to me?  What I am trying to do is setup a course to take the same photos daily over several months and create a timelapse of a construction process.  Is this a viable option for me or did I make a mistake buying the MA2 for this process?  I really cant afford the M2P and did not really want to purchase used.
2020-12-12
Use props
SEDIDEL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38891 ft
Canada

ejackson Posted at 12-12 19:33
This is unfortunate.  I bought the MA2 and misunderstood the waypoints capability in the hyperlapse setting.  Can someone explain virtual sticks to me?  What I am trying to do is setup a course to take the same photos daily over several months and create a timelapse of a construction process.  Is this a viable option for me or did I make a mistake buying the MA2 for this process?  I really cant afford the M2P and did not really want to purchase used.
Apps like Dronelink (the best app right now in my opinion) uses virtual sticks to make waypoints mission viable. They simulates the movement of the sticks just as your are moving them in the control but with actions previously programmed. With this app you can make that construction timelapses with no problem (I use this app for the same things with my mini 1) you can save a mission and repeat it over and over again.
2020-12-13
Use props
ejackson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 158786 ft
United States

SEDIDEL Posted at 12-13 05:14
Apps like Dronelink (the best app right now in my opinion) uses virtual sticks to make waypoints mission viable. They simulates the movement of the sticks just as your are moving them in the control but with actions previously programmed. With this app you can make that construction timelapses with no problem (I use this app for the same things with my mini 1) you can save a mission and repeat it over and over again.

Thank you thats great. I'll keep an eye on it and wait for compatibility
2020-12-13
Use props
fans25af3818
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29170 ft
United States

Yes.  Please keep us updated with compatibility of Dronelink and/or Litchi.  
2020-12-13
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Poland

There is also Pix4Dcapture.
2020-12-13
Use props
2afer
lvl.2
Turkey

Super pilot Posted at 12-12 13:34

Thank you Super pilot for testing it.
It is really sad to see that it does not support waypoints.
It means it is time to sell my MA2 too.

2020-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules