DJI Disregarding Warranty
2195 9 2020-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_nFTh3LLV3U3J
lvl.1

Canada

I bought a DJI Mavic Mini at the beginning of March, and one month after owning it the drone had a sensor error that caused it to take off on it's own, resulting in a crash that broke the gimbal in the drone. The drone took off uncontrollably and it was not responding to the signals from my RC. This resulted in the drone crashing and breaking.  I sent my drone to DJI, and after they inspected it, they said I have to pay because it is not covered under warranty.  I will paste the email I received from the support rep, where they refer to two different instances to support their diagnosis; one in March 13th, and the other in April 10th.  From reading the email, it seems like they are trying to suggest that the issue that happened on April 10th is correlated to the issue on March 13th.  I don't see how the two instances are related, because since the March 13th incident I had several succesful flights without any issues at all.   Even on April 10th I completed flights without issue.  Furthermore, when I go to look at my case status, I have an invoice asking me to pay the DJI Care Refresh replacement fee, and the only supporting evidence that for their case analysis diagnosis is a screenshot of my preflight that clearly shows everything is "Normal".  I will attach that picture here.  
Here is the email

"Incident date: 2020-04-10
Incident time: 498 seconds
FLY051
1.    The aircraft worked under Tripod mode, and responded to the pilot’s command well with a strong satellite signal.
2.    Flight Time T=498s, Relative Height H=3.8m, Distance to Home Point D=30.2m, the aircraft struck an object and fell. Pilot commanded yaw right, roll right, throttle down and pitch down prior to impact.
3.    The incident coordinate: 49.286864 -123.11494996

(PREVIOUS INCIDENT)
Incident date: 2020-03-13
Incident time: 718 seconds
FLY040
1.    The aircraft worked under Sport mode, and responded to the pilot’s command well.
2.    Flight Time T=718s, Relative Height H=0.4m, Distance to Home Point D=27.4m, the aircraft struck an object and fell. Pilot commanded pitch back and roll right prior to impact.
3.    The incident coordinate: 49.318927 -123.056883
4.    The aircraft could not avoid obstacles, user did not allow enough time for the unit to brake before impact.

According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction.

We can still proceed with the repair, however, you will cover the repair charges."

It seems like DJI is suggesting that the incident on April 10th was due to user error. How is it that you are failing to recognize the "sensor error" message that I received ?  Why is this not included in your analysis/diagnosis?  Of course I was moving the throttle when my drone took off uncontrollaby, I was trying to avoid it from crashing or hitting another human being... luckily it hit a wall before the damage was worse than a broken drone.  

This leaves a very bitter feeling in me, I really feel like I cannot trust this company which is a shame because I was looking to upgrade to some of their professional drones later in the future.... not if they try to disguise workmanship defects as an operator error.  Has anyone else encountered this? What did you do? How can I escalate this issue and get it further revised?  

Using my DJI Care Refresh replacement only one month into the ownership, due to a sensor error, doesn't sit well with me.
2020-4-28
Use props
djiuser_nFTh3LLV3U3J
lvl.1

Canada

Image was not uploading in the original post, or when I tried to edit it.  So I am uploading the picture as a post in my thread.
2020-4-28
Use props
djiuser_nFTh3LLV3U3J
lvl.1

Canada

I don't know how to get my flight log, but I went to my Flight Data Center in the DJI Fly app, and the very last flight (where my drone crashed) clearly says "Sensor Error". I uploaded a screenshot from my phone until I can figure out how to get the Flight Log in a legible text format.

How can I extract this and share it as a .txt or .DAT? How come DJI failed to mention this in their analysis?

The log is dated April 9 on my Flight Data Center (instead of April 10), but this is likely just a time zone difference.
2020-4-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we apologize to hear the crash accident and the warranty service was not provided in your case. Upon checking the case, your drone was crashed twice, even you were still able to fly the drone after the first accident, we cannot make sure the drone doesn't have any potential issue. Since you mentioned the Sensor Error during the last accident, we will escalate to the appropriate team to double review, we will have someone to contact you soon after further verification, please wait patiently. Thank you.
2020-4-28
Use props
fansf6f2419c
New
Flight distance : 28524 ft
Czechia

Hello,
I have a similar experience, my drone started descending uncontrollably and fell down through the tree, it resulted in dislocated gimbal and broken arm. It happened to me once already but it did not resulted in any kind of damage. In both cases it must have been landing sensors malfunction.
I have started online repair request on Monday morning, sent all the information they asked for and still did not receive even confirmation email.
Anyway I will let you know how did I ended up!
Thank you
Regards
M
2020-4-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansf6f2419c Posted at 4-28 20:27
Hello,
I have a similar experience, my drone started descending uncontrollably and fell down through the tree, it resulted in dislocated gimbal and broken arm. It happened to me once already but it did not resulted in any kind of damage. In both cases it must have been landing sensors malfunction.
I have started online repair request on Monday morning, sent all the information they asked for and still did not receive even confirmation email.

Hi M, sorry for the crash accident, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account, I will veirfy with the team whether your address is qualified for the shipping label and keep you updated.
2020-4-29
Use props
Marcin Ciszewski
New
Flight distance : 1535 ft
United Kingdom

Just had same issue with Mini 2. Was down the street about 5m from the building with drone in front of me. Done calibration before and had gps signal just after take off drone was hoovering for few seconds and then just started to go steer right in to building wall when i was tried to steer him other way there was no reaction for my moves.
2020-12-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Marcin Ciszewski Posted at 12-10 21:18
Just had same issue with Mini 2. Was down the street about 5m from the building with drone in front of me. Done calibration before and had gps signal just after take off drone was hoovering for few seconds and then just started to go steer right in to building wall when i was tried to steer him other way there was no reaction for my moves.

Hi Marcin, I'm sorry to hear about the accident with your drone. Please contact our support team via http://www.dji.com/support to open a case, if your drone is within the warranty period, we'll help to apply the data analysis and provide the proper solution based on the result of the data analysis.
2020-12-10
Use props
Marcin Ciszewski
New
Flight distance : 1535 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 12-10 23:41
Hi Marcin, I'm sorry to hear about the accident with your drone. Please contact our support team via http://www.dji.com/support to open a case, if your drone is within the warranty period, we'll help to apply the data analysis and provide the proper solution based on the result of the data analysis.

Should i go for online repair request or some other option ?
2020-12-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Marcin Ciszewski Posted at 12-11 00:31
Should i go for online repair request or some other option ?

You also can submit an online repair request via this link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index, thanks.
2020-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules