12Next >
1935 49 2020-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622575 ft
United States

So I made the original post begging DJI to add Activetrack to their Mavic Mini and it would be my favorite drone and a keeper for me. While I have been keeping my hopes up, I do believe that they won't add the feature to the Mavic Mini...

Reason? They just updated the DJI Fly app in preparation for the Mavic Air 2. This is why we got manual mode for video on the Mavic Mini and other fixes and stuff. I'm sure that if they wanted to give us Activetrack, they would have done so now. With the release of the new Mavic Air 2 with so many features at not too much of a price jump from the Mavic Mini considering the upgrades, I doubt they're going to give it to us.

Activetrack is basically the most useful tool for a drone. I bought the Mavic Mini happy with what I got, but expecting of a new firmware update giving us Activetrack. But with no news so far despite the demand (refer to my old post), I doubt they will. DJI seems to like a progression in their drones and that means not giving features to their beginner drones.

So DJI, you got me. I'm going to be selling my Mavic Mini Fly More Combo in favor for the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo. Portability seems to be pretty good so I'm not worried about that, and I already have my recreational license. For $500 (getting the fly more combo), I'll be getting 48mp photos, 4k60 videos, HDR videos, activetrack, 8k hyperlapses, panoramas, smart photo modes, obstacle avoidance, slightly more flight time, more than double the range, a sturdier platform, and great ND filters in the combo! I think that's a pretty good deal.

Main feature that won me over? Activetrack.

Thoughts? are you still hopeful that the Mavic Mini will get ActiveTrack?

2020-4-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm with you on all of that. Except I won't be selling my two Minis. The Air-2 is already on order. Luckily for me, my Wife has expensive habits and that means I can buy almost anything I want as well just to keep up ;-)
2020-4-28
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 4-28 19:44
I'm with you on all of that. Except I won't be selling my two Minis. The Air-2 is already on order. Luckily for me, my Wife has expensive habits and that means I can buy almost anything I want as well just to keep up ;-)

Haha, yeah that would be the best-case scenario! I'm a college student so I've worked and just saved enough for the upgrade I wouldn't wanted to keep two drones because I wouldn't be able to fly both and maintain battery cycles.

But the Mini is still perfect for international travel!
2020-4-28
Use props
Jasta ~
First Officer
Flight distance : 500554 ft
Philippines

I still have my 2 year old Spark.. I skipped the Mini due to lack of features that Spark has..
Will definitely get the MA2, not earlier but later this year after watching DETAILED REVIEWS .. .
2020-4-28
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

ICDroneSE Posted at 4-28 19:53
Haha, yeah that would be the best-case scenario! I'm a college student so I've worked and just saved enough for the upgrade  I wouldn't wanted to keep two drones because I wouldn't be able to fly both and maintain battery cycles.

Ramen...  RAMEN!!!
2020-4-28
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Akirasho Posted at 4-28 20:00
Ramen...  RAMEN!!!

Eating ramen for new tech is totally worth it !
2020-4-28
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

If we do see it, will take awhile.
2020-4-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lack of Airsense outside the USA has put me off.
2020-4-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I had given my reasons why no AT on mini and I still believe that, spark got many of its features from Mavic pro1 so I also believe dji where it can and is feasible will put features on other drones, alas AT was first introduced into dji drones along with OA and it’s because there is no OA there is no AT on mini.

I think it’s a good move buying Mavic Air2 the Air1 had more features on it than any other dji drone and Air2 is the same, but the improvements in Ocysync battery time and holding its price probably make it the best value dji drone , good luck and enjoy the AT.
2020-4-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 4-28 19:44
I'm with you on all of that. Except I won't be selling my two Minis. The Air-2 is already on order. Luckily for me, my Wife has expensive habits and that means I can buy almost anything I want as well just to keep up ;-)

Lucky you lol, my worst fear is if I die and my wife sells my toys for the prices I  told her I paid for them lol....
2020-4-29
Use props
Mavixx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 993100 ft
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 4-29 01:08
Lack of Airsense outside the USA has put me off.

It's supposed to come this summer for the international versions as well
2020-4-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavixx Posted at 4-29 01:22
It's supposed to come this summer for the international versions as well

Where did you see that?  Ive not seen any mention of when this would be added.
2020-4-29
Use props
tshansen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 569820 ft
Norway

Well, you wont get 48MP pictures in reality... it is a 12MP camera with a 48MP mode in it. that dont look that good to be honest. There is alot of advertising gimmick on this drone, as with all the DJI products. I plan an upgrading myself. most because of the ocusync feature and the small form factor.
2020-4-29
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Occusyn gave it 18.5km range. That is nuts. Why would you go that far lol
2020-4-29
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

tshansen Posted at 4-29 01:34
Well, you wont get 48MP pictures in reality... it is a 12MP camera with a 48MP mode in it. that dont look that good to be honest. There is alot of advertising gimmick on this drone, as with all the DJI products. I plan an upgrading myself. most because of the ocusync feature and the small form factor.

there is raw 48mp, so it is pretty much real...it is not a mode it is that the sensor supports 48mp so there are 2 options either 48 or 12 mp shots, also several auto modes that render 12 mp jpegs
2020-4-29
Use props
Thalisbl
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Obviously you made a mistake with the Mini purchase. In my opinion the Air 2 is not a competition for the Mini, as it is in another level in capabilities and money wise. I am not a drone fanatic, so I cannot understand why people buy a Mini when they can buy something better, but this is another story.
I would like an ActiveTrack or something similar but I knew it was not available when I bought the drone and I don't expect to be added. I bought the Mini for the price but also for the nice video footage and photos it takes. Many people complaint about missing this and that but any other footage I have seen from drones near the Mini price are much worse despite they are 4K etc etc.
2020-4-29
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

sbonev Posted at 4-29 03:24
there is raw 48mp, so it is pretty much real...it is not a mode it is that the sensor supports 48mp so there are 2 options either 48 or 12 mp shots, also several auto modes that render 12 mp jpegs

Well, it isn't 48MP but it isn't 12MP either. They should come up with a better terminology for this camera design. 48MP is misleading if you are actually looking for 48MP of resolution. I am not putting down the Air 2, just kind of surprised by the advertising use of "48MP".
2020-4-29
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

Deucalion Posted at 4-29 04:47
Well, it isn't 48MP but it isn't 12MP either. They should come up with a better terminology for this camera design. 48MP is misleading if you are actually looking for 48MP of resolution. I am not putting down the Air 2, just kind of surprised by the advertising use of "48MP".

i am not sure what you mean it is neither 48 nor 12 mp???? clearly it is 48 mp if it shoots 48mp dng!!! if you check the reviews some already have sample 48mp dng files...so you can either save raw in 48 or 12 mp
2020-4-29
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

sbonev Posted at 4-29 05:01
i am not sure what you mean it is neither 48 nor 12 mp???? clearly it is 48 mp if it shoots 48mp dng!!! if you check the reviews some already have sample 48mp dng files...so you can either save raw in 48 or 12 mp

Because the Bayer mask is 12MP. Essentially, it is a 12MP camera with the ability to use those 12MP better than a regular 12MP camera. The sensor has 48MP, but they are behind a 12MP Bayer mask, and that is it's resolution, 12MP. But having 4 pixels behind each bayer pixel does give it some intrinsic image processing capability. So I would call it 12MP+.

This is 50 MP...

https://www.hasselblad.com

The Air 2 is most certainly not that.

If you want higher resolution then you need to go with Mavic Pro 2. It has 20MP, which is much better than 12MP. The reason you are limited to 12MP with the Air 2 is because the sensor is half the size of the Pro 2. And a true 50MP camera has a sensor that is twice the size of the Mavic Pro 2's sensor.

2020-4-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Why I am not upgrading to the uprange model:

- Crash a Mini I have plenty of spares and be still more than another Mini Fly more away from the MA2 cost.
- I am in love with the looks of the Mini, its understated presence, the weight. MA2 comes close but you need registering.
- While there are certain features of the MA2 that I would like, I like challenges: I can pretty much fashion ActiveTrack DIY, I like to produce panos on my own from single shots, I wanna feel the thrill to throw myself into the best frequency range quest. MM is a passion for me, not my job.

Good luck to every upgrader out there... glad to be staying ;)
2020-4-29
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

m80116 Posted at 4-29 05:12

- Crash a Mini I have plenty of spares and be still more than another Mini Fly more away from the MA2 cost.

I am sticking with the MM because I am really into propeller theory. Kidding. I got the MM because I wanted something with DJI's reliability and performance but I also felt better about the prospect of losing $500 versus losing $1000 or $2000. If I get into it more, then I know I wouldn't be happy with anything less than a Mavic Pro 3 (by that time it will be 3). Mainly for the camera, but also for its other features and its ruggedness.
2020-4-29
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

Deucalion Posted at 4-29 05:09
Because the Bayer mask is 12MP. Essentially, it is a 12MP camera with the ability to use those 12MP better than a regular 12MP camera. The sensor has 48MP, but they are behind a 12MP Bayer mask, and that is it's resolution, 12MP. But having 4 pixels behind each bayer pixel does give it some intrinsic image processing capability. So I would call it 12MP+.

This is 50 MP...

here is a link to a dng from the mavic air 2, now according to you 8000x6000 px is not 48 mp but 12, are you sure you got the math right, i know the quad bayer sensors theory and how it is scaling the photo, still the result is much better than 12 mp, and as you can see it is not that bad.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0dxqv3cxes6iakb/DJI_0123.DNG/file
2020-4-29
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

sbonev Posted at 4-29 05:41
here is a link to a dng from the mavic air 2, now according to you 8000x6000 px is not 48 mp but 12, are you sure you got the math right, i know the quad bayer sensors theory and how it is scaling the photo, still the result is much better than 12 mp, and as you can see it is not that bad.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0dxqv3cxes6iakb/DJI_0123.DNG/file

This is my other hobby...

https://www.astrobin.com/users/syscore/

I think I know something about cameras, sensors and pixels.

Here is an article that explains why 12MP is just 12MP...

https://www.gsmarena.com/quad_ba ... ined-news-37459.php
2020-4-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Ah ha... so it's like Sammy's fake sensors which still produce 12 MPix shots.

To me anything that isn't producing what it claims it's what the output suggests. I don't mind how you combine RGB shades on a filter, but line them up in a bunch of 3x3 arrays and you aren't there anymore... you're 3 times far from there. If you claim 48 you're at 16 effectively...

It's either I don't like this trend or I don't like this marketing choice.
2020-4-29
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

m80116 Posted at 4-29 05:12

I totally hear you! I also have been doing my own "tracking shots", but I want to take it a step further and track myself when I go cycling! And that's basically impossible because I don't know anyone that's also into drones that I trust enough haha.

And as said in another post, I am a college student so I really don't have the time to be crafting my own Panos, Hyperlapses and stuff but if you do, that's great! Definitely cool to push the drone to the limit, but I don't think I have that luxury at the moment. Thanks for replying!
2020-4-29
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

m80116 Posted at 4-29 06:01
Ah ha... so it's like Sammy's fake sensors which still produce 12 MPix shots.

To me anything that isn't producing what it claims it's what the output suggests. I don't mind how you combine RGB shades on a filter, but line them up in a bunch of 3x3 arrays and you aren't there anymore... you're 3 times far from there. If you claim 48 you're at 16 effectively...

Well, it is a trend and probably here to stay. The sensor makers don't really have many  options because they can't make the sensors BIGGER. So instead, they have to use more gimmicks. The problem with increasing pixel count on a small sensor is that you eventually run out of light. The only way to get more pixels and also not run out of light is to make the sensor bigger.
2020-4-29
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

Deucalion Posted at 4-29 05:59
This is my other hobby...

https://www.astrobin.com/users/syscore/

sorry but effective pixels is still effective pixels...still not hasselblad quality nor that good as 1'' sensor, and true it is still light dependent for a good result...
if it is saving 48mp dng file it is 48mp camera, not 12 mp. Anyway it is a lot better than any 12 mp, and the one in the mini for the matter.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201807/18-060E/
2020-4-29
Use props
ichan.id
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54183 ft
Indonesia

here i lie down hugging my MM, dont care about AT feature and push DJI to make it. just accept what is appropriate.. LOL
2020-4-29
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

48mp Images

I was under the impression ( read it somewhere ) that the MA2 took 4 images and stitched them together to produce a 48mp image....... Anyone?

Randy
2020-4-29
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

rwynant V1 Posted at 4-29 11:03
48mp Images

I was under the impression ( read it somewhere ) that the MA2 took 4 images and stitched them together to produce a 48mp image....... Anyone?

i think that is how it works on the zoom. here the sensor is 48mp and can produce dng images in 48 and 12 mp resolutions, that are the specifications at least
2020-4-29
Use props
GreenDayPR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517087 ft
United States

I don't know why people assumed that the mini would received the active track feature. its no possible due to the lack of sensors.  granted the quickshots gave you a little object tracking but the mini does not have the sufficient processing power embedded to be able to have active track.

Im going to keep my mini and I ordered the MA2. you can't beat mini's portability
2020-4-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

ICDroneSE Posted at 4-28 19:53
Haha, yeah that would be the best-case scenario! I'm a college student so I've worked and just saved enough for the upgrade  I wouldn't wanted to keep two drones because I wouldn't be able to fly both and maintain battery cycles.

I was under impression that a college students works in order to survive and pay a tuition loan back, not to travel with drones to Thailand ...
2020-4-29
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 4-29 11:49
I was under impression that a college students works in order to survive and pay a tuition loan back, not to travel with drones to Thailand  ...

I attend a public university with a good scholarship, so my parents were able to cover my tuition costs They're letting me spend the money I make as I please. I've quite grateful
2020-4-29
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

GreenDayPR Posted at 4-29 11:44
I don't know why people assumed that the mini would received the active track feature. its no possible due to the lack of sensors.  granted the quickshots gave you a little object tracking but the mini does not have the sufficient processing power embedded to be able to have active track.

Im going to keep my mini and I ordered the MA2. you can't beat mini's portability

Let me know how the two compare in terms of portability! I saw the bag for the MA2 and it doesn't seem to be much larger than the Mini's case. Just like a camera bag, so it's easier to carry as well.

2020-4-29
Use props
GreenDayPR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517087 ft
United States

ICDroneSE Posted at 4-29 11:52
Let me know how the two compare in terms of portability! I saw the bag for the MA2 and it doesn't seem to be much larger than the Mini's case. Just like a camera bag, so it's easier to carry as well.

Alright. I'll let you know.
2020-4-29
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

ichan.id Posted at 4-29 09:08
here i lie down hugging my MM, dont care about AT feature and push DJI to make it. just accept what is appropriate.. LOL

No. It is called a Quad Bayer sensor. The sensor has 48MP, but the Bayer mask in front of it only has 12MP, so basically it is a 12MP.

https://www.gsmarena.com/quad_ba ... ined-news-37459.php

It is better than a regular 12MP camera, because the extra pixels behind each Bayer pixel give it more data and you can do HDR with one shot, but when you use that the Air 2 produces a 12MP file.
2020-4-29
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

Deucalion Posted at 4-29 12:51
No. It is called a Quad Bayer sensor. The sensor has 48MP, but the Bayer mask in front of it only has 12MP, so basically it is a 12MP.

https://www.gsmarena.com/quad_bayer_sensors_explained-news-37459.php

check this video and some more and stop talking it is 12 mp.... it is not! it is 48 effective pixels, it produces 48 and 12 mp raw photos!

there are plenty of reviews where you can see it, you can get sample photos and see it yourself - resolution is 8000x6000 it is 48 mp sensor quad bayer design, here is a link to more respectable source
In low light image data from the four pixels in such an array is merged and processed as one single pixel, resulting in a reduced 12MP image resolution!

In bright light the image signal processor can make full use of the sensor's 48MP pixel count!

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0249781150/sony-imx586-smartphone-sensor-comes-with-48mp-and-quad-bayer-design?comment=4230135720

2020-4-29
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

sbonev Posted at 4-29 13:54
check this video and some more and stop talking it is 12 mp.... it is not! it is 48 effective pixels, it produces 48 and 12 mp raw photos!

No one in photography considers this a 48MP camera. It is a 48MP sensor behind a 12MP bayer mask. If you tell them it is a 48MP camera because you can get 48MP files from it, they are going to laugh. That doesn't mean it isn't a great 12MP camera. Did you even read the link I sent you telling you how this works? Even you admit that it doesn't even have the resolution of the Mavic Pro 2, which is a 20MP camera, but you insist on calling this 48MP. So how can a 48MP camera not match a 20MP camera in resolution?
2020-4-29
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I don't know why you bought the mini if activetrack was so important.
2020-4-29
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

deathsquad Posted at 4-29 14:13
I don't know why you bought the mini if activetrack was so important.

I was sold on everything else beforehand It was the best option for me at the moment, so I got it. But now that the Mavic Air 2 is out, it's the new best fit for me!
2020-4-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules