6219 109 2020-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Thailand

bluebubble Posted at 4-30 05:59
Hey, I think airsense is based on global positioning, so it can be applied across regions

No its not.

Its a transponder that spits out a location.

In the case here, its ADS-B in only.  So literally its just a SDR/SOC to receive and process the stuff sent by other aircraft.
So its hardware.  So its not coming in a firmware update.
2020-5-1
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Ian in London Posted at 4-30 11:31
It's a hardware module that needs to be fitted, so if your Air 2 ships without it, you're never going to get it....

DJI confirmed you can send the drone to them and have ADS-B retrofitted but you'll have to pay for "the upgrade" (to the spec that you already paid for....)
2020-5-1
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

sbonev Posted at 5-1 01:13
yep me too, it appears they don't know and probably it won't be soon. The other annoying thing is how you can be sure if the model you order has it, as this is not mentioned anywhere in the specs. i think i saw at one place the ads-b was only mentioned on the box, but there is no way you can know what does the box look like if ordering online, and it will be months before this is available physically in shops.

They have different part numbers
The truncated version for Europe is MA2UE1N
The US version with ADS-B IN is MA2UE3W

2020-5-1
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

castormalin Posted at 5-1 02:34
They have different part numbers
The truncated version for Europe is MA2UE1N
The US version with ADS-B IN is MA2UE3W

ok, when they release it in the EU version how will we know which one is which, that is my issue...
2020-5-1
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

My guess is that it's not an issue because the answer is : never
2020-5-1
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Ulli01 Posted at 4-29 08:35
Which high taxes are you refering to?
The Tax depends on the type of drone, and if it is a toy, (video)camera or helicopter.
Depending on that the tax differs between 4,1% and 7%.

You're charged for 22% (or local rate) VAT here in EU, on items with price over 22 Euros shipped from nonEU country. Tax is counted from item price and shipping costs as well... I don't know the rules overseas.
2020-5-1
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

castormalin Posted at 5-1 02:59
My guess is that it's not an issue because the answer is : never

officially they state that later the EU version will have it, unfortunately no clarification as to when that later will happen...
2020-5-1
Use props
Ulli01
lvl.2

Germany

virtual Posted at 5-1 03:49
You're charged for 22% (or local rate) VAT here in EU, on items with price over 22 Euros shipped from nonEU country. Tax is counted from item price and shipping costs as well... I don't know the rules overseas.

It is the same amount, like the local sales tax, and only apply, if you are a private person importing things.
That was already priced in...
2020-5-1
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

Please everybody knows that the selling price is only marketing and has nothing to do with the taxes.
I would prefer have a clear answer regarding the ADS-B availability outside US
2020-5-1
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

Ulli01 Posted at 5-1 04:27
It is the same amount, like the local sales tax, and only apply, if you are a private person importing things.
That was already priced in...

But are customers charged for that aditional VAT on US market? I remember the days I was shopping 22% cheaper from many countries...
2020-5-1
Use props
Ulli01
lvl.2

Germany

virtual Posted at 5-1 11:43
But are customers charged for that aditional VAT on US market? I remember the days I was shopping 22% cheaper from many countries...

That depends on their states
2020-5-1
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The ADSB receiver is most likely a small board containing the SOC and a ribbon cable.  They didnt get enough of these made in time for launch so the "upgrade" is most likely someone taking the drone apart and screwing/plugging in the new board and ribbon cable.

Question for people with drones that already have it - is the ADSB receiver in the drone or in the actual controller?

2020-5-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 5-1 20:37
The ADSB receiver is most likely a small board containing the SOC and a ribbon cable.  They didnt get enough of these made in time for launch so the "upgrade" is most likely someone taking the drone apart and screwing/plugging in the new board and ribbon cable.

Question for people with drones that already have it - is the ADSB receiver in the drone or in the actual controller?

I expect your right,  but the upgrade won't be for consumers to do at home.
2020-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ulli01 Posted at 4-30 03:49
It might be, that DJI is telling the people that the reason for the higher price in Europe results in higher taxes, but if you have a look in the numbers, it reveals that this is just not true.

The regular taxes in the major markets are comparable. US has now the additional tariffs, as far as I know also still in force for that kind of product, and therefore I would expect the price much higher in US than in Europe.

Just checking this morning, import tax on electronic goods from China EU 13% US less than 3% on items costing less than €2500, this might explain higher cost in Europe .
2020-5-4
Use props
MG80
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20877146 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy seems to have gone AWOL on this particular thread.
2020-5-14
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

gnirtS Posted at 5-1 20:37

It's in the drone
2020-5-14
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

In Canada, as we are part of North America, I sort of expected this feature would be available to me, however, it seems that Transport Canada and Nav Canada are not mandating the installation of the transmitters in aircraft here, and there is some controversy about the expense therein.  There is a five year plan to roll it into everything here.

https://www.navcanada.ca/en/prod ... tiatives-ads-b.aspx

https://www.aviationtoday.com/20 ... an-mandating-ads-b/
2020-5-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Northwood Posted at 5-14 13:53
In Canada, as we are part of North America, I sort of expected this feature would be available to me, however, it seems that Transport Canada and Nav Canada are not mandating the installation of the transmitters in aircraft here, and there is some controversy about the expense therein.  There is a five year plan to roll it into everything here.

Airsense is only a receiver,  it doesn't broadcast.
2020-5-15
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 5-15 01:28
Airsense is only a receiver,  it doesn't broadcast.

You did not read the articles I see.  All aircraft (not drones) will eventually have have to transmit ADS-B Out.  The MA2 has it in only.
2020-5-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Northwood Posted at 5-15 19:23
You did not read the articles I see.  All aircraft (not drones) will eventually have have to transmit ADS-B Out.  The MA2 has it in only.

They’ll probably call that Airsense 2.0. Current implementation only warns of other aircraft close by.
2020-5-15
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221906 ft
United States

The reason being is that 77% of all  DJI sales are in the US.  So, we get "special" treatment. LOL
2020-5-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Northwood Posted at 5-15 19:23
You did not read the articles I see.  All aircraft (not drones) will eventually have have to transmit ADS-B Out.  The MA2 has it in only.

This will explain it.  You might be confusing ADS-B with remote ID.

2020-5-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mr. Motta Posted at 5-15 21:55
The reason being is that 77% of all  DJI sales are in the US.  So, we get "special" treatment. LOL

I doubt that is actually true.
2020-5-15
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221906 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-15 22:16
I doubt that is actually true.

It may be. It may be not. I read it somewhere. Kinda makes sense. Not to mention, we are Chinas worst enemy and its probably just another way to spy on us.
2020-5-15
Use props
Down In Flames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Why are versions with ADSB bought in US have this function disabled by DJI when flown in UK, Why does DJI not give direct answers to Direct Questions.
2020-6-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Down In Flames Posted at 6-28 07:14
Why are versions with ADSB bought in US have this function disabled by DJI when flown in UK, Why does DJI not give direct answers to Direct Questions.

My understanding was that if you turned the feature on in the USA and then went traveling the feature stays on.
2020-6-29
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6698904 ft
  • >>>
Uruguay

I bought a USA DJI MAvic Air 2 with Airsense (ADS-B receiver) and travel with it to Latin America.

When the last upgade came in, my ADS-B receiver was decommissioned!

I called local DJI representative and they told me that was right.
DJI decommisnioned all AirSense receivers around the wold (except USA) with this new update, even if you reverse de update it remains off.  

Shame on you DJI
2020-7-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

8JlJDKadkPox Posted at 7-4 16:50
I bought a USA DJI MAvic Air 2 with Airsense (ADS-B receiver) and travel with it to Latin America.

When the last upgade came in, my ADS-B receiver was decommissioned!

Thats terrible.  
2020-7-5
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

DJI

W.H.E.N.   W.I.L.L.   Y.O.U.  P.R.O.V.I.D.E.   A.I.R.S.E.N.S.E.    I.N.    E.U.R.O.P.E.     ? ? ?
2020-7-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

castormalin Posted at 7-5 03:06
DJI

W.H.E.N.   W.I.L.L.   Y.O.U.  P.R.O.V.I.D.E.   A.I.R.S.E.N.S.E.    I.N.    E.U.R.O.P.E.     ? ? ?

M3 ..........
2020-7-5
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

I recieved MA2 yesterday, there´s no ADS-B label on AC or box, it´s labeled as EU version 6/2020 (I guess manufacture date) but model number sais MA2UE3W. Wasn´t able to fly outdoors yet but hardware is maybe already onboard...
2020-7-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 7-8 02:46
I recieved MA2 yesterday, there´s no ADS-B label on AC or box, it´s labeled as EU version 6/2020 (I guess manufacture date) but model number sais MA2UE3W. Wasn´t able to fly outdoors yet but hardware is maybe already onboard...

Keep us informed of your findings.  
2020-7-9
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

DAFlys Posted at 7-9 00:55
Keep us informed of your findings.

I hope I would be able to discover something as I tend to fly in less crowded areas (airport and hospital heliport not far from my flat) and other thread says that it is turned off by DJI outside the USA...
2020-7-9
Use props
Pirilampus
New
Portugal

I recieved MA2 yesterday, there´s no ADS-B label on AC or box, it´s labeled as EU version 6/2020 (I guess manufacture date) but model number sais MA2UE3W. Wasn´t able to fly outdoors yet but hardware is maybe already onboard...

I'm on the same step as you. I've received mine last Tuesday (in Europe). The model is the same. And the AirSense option is not visible in the DJI Fly App. Thus, it might still exist some hope on this.
2020-7-9
Use props
duke.of.london
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6024 ft
Italy

Same model for me. Finger crossed!
2020-7-10
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

This looks like no coincidence, latest batch labeled MA2UE3W for EU then...
2020-7-10
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

Pirilampus Posted at 7-9 08:28
I'm on the same step as you. I've received mine last Tuesday (in Europe). The model is the same. And the AirSense option is not visible in the DJI Fly App. Thus, it might still exist some hope on this.

I can confirm that Air Sence option is not in app yet...
2020-7-13
Use props
Down In Flames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ian in London Posted at 4-30 02:36
Good points on the ADSB, but the CAA are still pretty clear that CE certification won't be retrospective and legacy drones will be forced to fly in A3 open category  This means 150m from any residential, commercial or recreational area and with no one uninvolved in the area.  
It doesn't seem to make it clear if that's also a 150m horizontal distance from people or just under the flight area.... But either way, in 2 years the places you can fly will be greatly restricted for this model becuase of no CE cert....

Just stick on a label with C1 on it, average joe won't know difference will be ok that way, in anycase until it drops on someone's head snuffing em out just a bit maybe even won't make no never mind as to what label you got stuck on it. Best fly brick away from people chuck like all our other big models with decapitating blades. As for ADS-B just buy pingRX dual frequency receiver that's good for 978Mhz and 1090Mhz like used in EU (for your DIY drone like), rekon the one they put in MA2 is only good for 978Mhz used in US. Oh and photo below of what is in US version of MA2 (located on GPS Board, but not there on UK GPS board): (GPS board with it costs £24 on ebay but if only has 978Mhz and turned of outside US by DJI won't help ya however DJI won't specify the circuits capability reception wise to be sure)

2020-7-22
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Northwood Posted at 5-14 13:53

I think you will find that if your aircraft fly into the US they will require the transponders installed.

So International aircraft flights yes. Domestic no.
2020-7-22
Use props
-Lucifer-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1307795 ft
  • >>>
Canada

If I'm correct Europe have the CA version. North America FCA. CA do less .
2020-7-23
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules