New Spark owner with a few questions!
2536 22 2020-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ReV:-O
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello fellow pilots, I've just joined the DJI family

Purchased a used Spark for £210 with the remote, after deciding between the Hubsan Zino and Xiaomi FIMI A3. Hopefully I made the right choice...

I do have a few (noob) questions which I hope someone might be able to help me with!

#1 - I'm not sure what firmware the Spark is currently running, but the owner told me not to update it as it will limit it to 120m range. Is this true? Is there a list of firmware updates and what they did? I could not find one anywhere.

#2 - The video quality on the phone looks pretty bad. I'm assuming it's operating over 2.4Ghz WiFi via the remote, and the remote is operating over 5.8GHz to the Spark? Would an OTG cable solve this issue?

#3 - I'd like to do some FPV flying with it. I already own a pair of Eachine EV800D goggles but apparently they aren't compatible with the Spark due to DJI proprietary digital technology, is this true? Would my only option be to purchase a pair of (very expensive) DJI goggles?

Thanks so much for all the help!!

2020-4-29
Use props
CallMeAlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can't do number 3 in the UK:  ".... However, the law [at ANO article 94(3)] requires that the remote pilot must maintain direct unaided visual contact with the aircraft which is sufficient to monitor its flight path so that collisions may be avoided.  This is obviously not possible if that person is wearing video goggles or otherwise constantly monitoring a display. "
2020-4-29
Use props
lvl.1

United Kingdom

CallMeAlan Posted at 4-29 06:24
You can't do number 3 in the UK:  ".... However, the law [at ANO article 94(3)] requires that the remote pilot must maintain direct unaided visual contact with the aircraft which is sufficient to monitor its flight path so that collisions may be avoided.  This is obviously not possible if that person is wearing video goggles or otherwise constantly monitoring a display. "

Thanks for the reply, lets assume I am flying on private land away from any persons or property.
2020-4-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

The 120 meter range sounds to me like the height 120 meter is 400ft (397ft). so yes that's true.
The spark only operates on 2.4Ghz. and all video and photos on the phone are cache and will
only show up in low resolution, for high resolution you need to take the footage from the SD card.
As for FPV you can try Fatsharks or DJI with an external cable attached.
2020-4-29
Use props
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 4-29 07:16
The 120 meter range sounds to me like the height 120 meter is 400ft (397ft). so yes that's true.
The spark only operates on 2.4Ghz. and all video and photos on the phone are cache and will
only show up in low resolution, for high resolution you need to take the footage from the SD card.

Ah ok understood. I planned to do the FCC hack using Floater but if I can only stream via WiFi, I think I'll sell the Spark and buy the Hubsan. Many thanks for your help
2020-4-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ReV:-O Posted at 4-29 07:18
Ah ok understood. I planned to do the FCC hack using Floater but if I can only stream via WiFi, I think I'll sell the Spark and buy the Hubsan. Many thanks for your help

No problem.
2020-4-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ReV:-O Posted at 4-29 07:18
Ah ok understood. I planned to do the FCC hack using Floater but if I can only stream via WiFi, I think I'll sell the Spark and buy the Hubsan. Many thanks for your help

Hubsan is a good drone but it's no spark. For the value there is no
comparison.
2020-4-29
Use props
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 4-29 07:23
Hubsan is a good drone but it's no spark. For the value there is no
comparison.

Fair enough, for me though if I'm going to be spending this amount of money, I want a reliable video feed to the drone. Like I mentioned before even the cheaper Hubsan can do it, it's selling brand new on Amazon for £170...
2020-4-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ReV:-O Posted at 4-29 07:24
Fair enough, for me though if I'm going to be spending this amount of money, I want a reliable video feed to the drone. Like I mentioned before even the cheaper Hubsan can do it, it's selling brand new on Amazon for £170...

Spark has reliable video feed. the 120 meters is the allowed ceiling height
that you can fly in most countries. I believe the spark range I about a mile.
2020-4-29
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Germany

Hi,

See this thread for the current firmware versions.

The Spark can operate in 2.4GHz and 5,8GHz frequency ranges!
I absolutely recommend the use of an OTG cable. Way less latency, no problems with bad video quality, better range. It of course depends on the power of the phone.
For more range (more RF power) have a look at my video about the MOD 2.0 app

Keep the Spark, its the best bird for the buck!

BTW about your question about the FPV flying: it is illegal in most European countries. It does not matter /where/ you fly. The airspace above your land does not belong to you.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2020-4-29
Use props
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Wolferl Posted at 4-29 08:10
Hi,

Hi Wolferl, thanks for the reply!

The thread you linked, is that for one particular firmware update, or the latest update? I heard that with the latest update, ability to use the OTG cable is disabled.

I watched your video, very interesting However I already use the Floater app, is this any different?

For FPV flying, please assume I am flying indoors in a big hall.

Thanks
2020-4-29
Use props
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Seems there are a few methods of changing from CE to FCC - which would you recommend?

Method 1: Use Floater app to broadcast a fake GPS location, making the DJI GO app think I'm in the USA.

Method 2: Use the DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 app

Method 3: Use Super Patcher 2.0

Any suggestions?
2020-4-29
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

method 3, use super patcher Sir, together with dji go4 mod 45 v4.1.15 november from me.
https://sparkpilots.com/threads/ ... 4-1-15.3841/page-73
read install instructions message 1,449

Brett's super patcher give you No height limits, No NFZ (only the warning in the app) Optionally enable full time FCC or boost mode with jkson_fcc_mod by jkson5 built in (Mavic, Spark***(NEW!)***, and P4PV2 Only), galileo sat's extra.
Works only on the 01.00.0900 FW., FW can be downgraded via
https://github.com/jezzab/DUMLdore , more questions about this join sparkpilots.com
2020-4-29
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Germany

ReV:-O Posted at 4-29 09:47
Hi Wolferl, thanks for the reply!

The thread you linked, is that for one particular firmware update, or the latest update? I heard that with the latest update, ability to use the OTG cable is disabled.

Hi,

I don't really understand your question....the very first post in the linked thread shows the most current versions for the Spark and the R/C.
The app will show a message and prompt you for upgrade if the versions are not current.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2020-4-30
Use props
lvl.1

United Kingdom

dji_MODDER Posted at 4-29 21:49
method 3, use super patcher Sir, together with dji go4 mod 45 v4.1.15 november from me.
https://sparkpilots.com/threads/ ... 4-1-15.3841/page-73
read install instructions message 1,449

Thanks, so you recommend going down the Super Patcher route. Will it work with the DJI GO 4 app or would I still need the MOD app to work with it? Thanks
2020-4-30
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Netherlands

Super patcher works with  original dji go 4 app (best version 4.1.15), and of course with Litchi, it's a hardware mod, not a software one.
2020-4-30
Use props
djiuser_C0sYqns8skem
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi all,
For some reason I can’t add a new post, so hope you don’t mind me jumping on this one.
Iv recently just purchased a 2nd hand DJI Spark.
Controller connect with drone, but then disconnects after about 5/10 secs?
Any ideas?
2020-4-30
Use props
lvl.1

United Kingdom

dji_MODDER Posted at 4-30 08:52
Super patcher works with  original dji go 4 app (best version 4.1.15), and of course with Litchi, it's a hardware mod, not a software one.

Thanks, the GO app version I have is 4.3.32

Can you please tell me why 4.1.15 is better?
2020-5-1
Use props
johnsolodchiigmail.com
lvl.1

Ireland

Hey guys , also new spark owner here.
I bought this spark with no battery etc recently as part of a lot and had no way to test it
After rigging up this 3cell lipo I get the usual warm up sequence , a couple of yellow led flashes and then solid reds.
As you can see the spark connects to my phone and controller and seems to work, only error being for me homemade battery. (Obviously motors don’t spin up )
If I bought a new battery for it , would it fly?
Thanks !
2020-5-2
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Netherlands

ReV:-O Posted at 5-1 02:10
Thanks, the GO app version I have is 4.3.32

Can you please tell me why 4.1.15 is better?

It's stable, small ,  the latest is for the newest drones. It's bigger and give more crashes in connection errors.
2020-5-3
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Netherlands

johnsolodchiigmail.com Posted at 5-2 02:09
I bought this spark with no battery etc recently as part of a lot and had no way to test it
After rigging up this 3cell lipo I get the usual warm up sequence , a couple of yellow led flashes and then solid reds.

yes, but you have to update your fw of your new battery, connected Psark to your PC with assistant2 software and update your firmware.
2020-5-3
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

Wolferl Posted at 4-29 08:10
Hi,

You've gotta have a powerful phone for better video quality/latency and an OTG cable is much more reliable.
2020-5-8
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

johnsolodchiigmail.com Posted at 5-2 02:09

Yes, an OEM battery
2020-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules