Mavic Pro 2 Video Focus-Vibration or Camera Shake ? Please Help !
1540 7 2020-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pavitr Saith
lvl.1
Flight distance : 389485 ft
India

Hello,

The subjects in my videos seem to be vibrating -in the attached video you will see the buildings dont seem to be completely steady but more like vibrating or shaking- basically they don't appear clear. i have the same issue with trees or any other suject. (this is different from the more commonly discussed choppy 4k footage or the occasional flicker- this is something different i cant seem to find any information on).

https://www.skypixel.com/videos/cityscape-9f7e46d3-3304-4b03-9b50-ee60b7382bc0?utm_source=copied&utm_medium=PCWeb&utm_campaign=share&sp=0

-this happens the most when i pan / spin the drone on its axis..
-it happens when it moves forward or backward as well as sideways (left or right) though not as much in this case.
-Somehow it does-not happen when flying Up or Down in a straight line.

This doesn'tseem to be a  playback or 4k processing error, i get the same results on differnt computers and both in 4k and 1080p shooting.
ive done Gimbal, Imu and compass calibration all twice but still the same result.
no error message son the controller or phone either.

Can someone please tell me if this is normal- most videos of other Mavic 2 Pro users ive seen dont seem to have this issue.
i've hunted on the internet for hours but really dont know how to slove this.. please help!

2020-4-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your SD card may be to slow. Which one are you using?
2020-4-29
Use props
Pavitr Saith
lvl.1
India

Woe Posted at 4-29 07:00
Your SD card may be to slow. Which one are you using?

Hello,

its a San Disk Extreme Pro 32 Gb -100 mbps.
2020-4-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

From what I see this is stuttering .
The world moves too fast for the framerate.

Most likely caused by the (fast) panning motion.
Fly SLOW and avoid straight pans.

A second reason might be rendering in the wrong framerate. (for example, you shot in 30fps, but rendered in 25 or vise versa where there are dropped frames or extra frames every x frames that causes stuttering)

Finally (if the above does not work). You could benefit from a slower shutterspeed that matches your framerate.
(30fps = 1/60s shutterspeed, 25fps = 1/50s shutterspeed etc.)
You will need ND filters to get to this framerate.
What it will do is introduce motion blur in your frames that looks more pleasing to the eye.
BUT first try the slow flying AND make sure you render in the correct famerate!
2020-5-1
Use props
Pavitr Saith
lvl.1
India

Hello, thank you for replying.
So i tried what you suggested and a few other things ;

First i tried shooting the same stretch of land (over a canopy of trees camera pointed forward-down at say 45 degrees) in a straight forward movement in all three modes-
1. Sport mode full throttle say 68 km/ hr gave me pretty much the same results -stuttering as you say all across the frame.
2. P Mode at full throttle say 32 km/hr reduced the stuttering to only the bottom 1/3rd of the frame (ie the foreground or the closest trees as they pass out of the frame)
3. Tripod mode at what seemed snail's pace was totally stable -no stuttering.

So now i will use Tripod mode for shooting smaller areas not needing speed.
BUT there is scenario B where i'm lost again-

Now lets say if i want to make a 1 minute video of the drone flying from one end of the park to the other - the park is about 3 km long so going all the way and coming back would not be possible in tripod mode in a single battery, maybe in p mode but surely in s mode - now what i normally do is position the drone at the beginning of the park, start recording and go full throttle till the other end then bring it back- this takes about 15-20 min in a fair amount of wind.
so if shooting in Tripod mode or in p mode in this scenario isn't possible what do i do to get non-stuttering shots ?

Also, as for rendering, i simply import the file into imovie.. speed it up say 10x or 15x and export it back out. i don't know what you really mean by render rate here.
i guess it's the same as what the drone shoots in as i don't change anything.
eitherway for the shots with stuttering the problem is there both in the original file of 10 minutes as well as the speeded up version.

Any further inputs would be helpful, Captain.
2020-5-2
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

this is because u re not shooting in cinematic way. To avoid such effect u need to shoot with slow shutter speed.  That s because we use nd filter. To shoot in cinematic way u should only set the shutter speed from same speed of your frame rate to double speed. In 30 fps the max shutter speed might be 1 60 s. Many say the double shutter speed is the suit point. i like the same shutter speed too. More blurry and more smoothness.  But double speed is the rule. When u use higher shutter speed movements are not smooth and look like vibrating as u said. It happens with any camera.
2020-5-2
Use props
Pavitr Saith
lvl.1
India

Francis Posted at 5-2 11:31
this is because u re not shooting in cinematic way. To avoid such effect u need to shoot with slow shutter speed.  That s because we use nd filter. To shoot in cinematic way u should only set the shutter speed from same speed of your frame rate to double speed. In 30 fps the max shutter speed might be 1 60 s. Many say the double shutter speed is the suit point. i like the same shutter speed too. More blurry and more smoothness.  But double speed is the rule. When u use higher shutter speed movements are not smooth and look like vibrating as u said. It happens with any camera.

Hello,

Thank You for your response.
I can try that once I get an ND filter.. which looks unlikely soon as my entire country is under lockdown for quite a while.

Any other way of getting this shutter speed ?
Will it work if it’s 3x or 4x say 100 or 200 for 25 FPS recording ?
If not, any other way of achieving smooth video ?

Thanks .
2020-5-4
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

Pavitr Saith Posted at 5-4 21:34
Hello,

Thank You for your response.

yes try to close the iris aperture enough to lower the shutter speed. Pay attention to use the lowest iso speed, 100. Be careful seting the frame rate. Dont use another than 30fps for this test. 24 and 25 fps may cause some flickering issue as someone said.
2020-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules