Mavic Air 2 with DJI Goggles
74613 289 2020-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DVtJIONzHcCd
New
United States

I'm a newbie here, but isn't the answer as simple as getting their smart controller to work with the MA2?

Or, can't you just use a smaller tablet with micro HDMI output and get a dual micro HDMI cord and run that into the micro HDMI port on the Goggles?  

So, the controller's USB-C to a tablet's HSBC port and run the micro HDMI output of the tablet into the micro HDMI port of the goggles.  Any reason that wouldn't work?
2020-5-18
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

monstermac77 Posted at 5-18 08:15
How confident are you that compatibility can't be achieved? Generally, 32-bit code can be made to run on 64-bit systems.

It's the other way around, though.
The new app's codebase is 64-bit.

The Goggles and CrystalSky are 32-bit only.
2020-5-19
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

0rcinus Posted at 5-19 17:29

My point here is that, generally, 64-bit based systems are compatible with 32-bit programs. Whatever firmware/software interface the Goggles employ, even if it's 32-bit, should still work with a 64-bit app the same way you can run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit operating system.
2020-5-19
Use props
djiuser_wSd3HzrSbw04
lvl.1

United States

I purchased the goggles and MA2 before realizing that they weren't compatible.  I sent the unopened goggles back at my expense, $28....arrggg.

DJI, please make some compatible goggles!
2020-5-20
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_wSd3HzrSbw04 Posted at 5-20 09:51
I purchased the goggles and MA2 before realizing that they weren't compatible.  I sent the unopened goggles back at my expense, $28....arrggg.

DJI, please make some compatible goggles!

you probably already know this but before you buy anything online, make sure of your purchase if the merchant will only pay for returns on their own mistakes not yours.  you are lucky they didn't charge a restocking fee.  free advice is free and as easily as you came here to post, there are no less than 2 dozen posts on this topic with the correct $28 answer about the goggles for your purview.
2020-5-20
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

fans3bbf2d17 Posted at 5-16 07:50
I've had the Phantom 3 Standard for a while and have waited for something like the new MA2.
When it was released and was pretty quick to go'n buy it and at the same time picked up a pair of goggles as I also read that they were compatible with the Mavic Series.

Thanks for trying out the lightening/HDMI + DJI Fly App/MA2 though that didn't work out. What you see is very similar to my earlier try with lightening/HDMI + DJI Go 4 which didn't work either. I'm inclined to believe if they were able to provide compatibility for lightening/HDMI (regardless of DJI Fly or DJI Go 4), we AT LEAST can get mirrored video in Goggle.

DJI Mindy:

What might be the road block for providing such compatibility? DJI Goggles should already be licensed under MFi (Made for iPhone/iPad).
2020-5-20
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

0rcinus Posted at 5-19 17:29

32 bit and 64 bit shouldn't be the problem in my opinion.

Reason #1:
32 bit or 64 bit only matters if the binaries and libraries are linked and executed on ONE SoC. If two devices are communicating through client and server protocol, they can have different configurations such as SoC, ISA, etc. For example, old DJI Spark can work with lastest 64-bit iPhone X/Xs App and video stream to 32-bit Goggle with no problem. For MA2, Goggles should talk to it through Ocusync, which should be some kind of client-server protocol.

Reason #2:
Goggles program can be recompiled with ARMv8 (for 64-bit SoC) toolchain to generate 64 bit binaries which can run on 64 bit SoC if needed. It may take some time to implement, performance may be lower, but shouldn't be impossible.
2020-5-20
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_DVtJIONzHcCd Posted at 5-18 15:06
I'm a newbie here, but isn't the answer as simple as getting their smart controller to work with the MA2?

Or, can't you just use a smaller tablet with micro HDMI output and get a dual micro HDMI cord and run that into the micro HDMI port on the Goggles?  

Shouldn't be difficult if they wanted to...especially DJI's earlier email reply says that's not hardware limited.

Controller <--> USB <--> iPhone App and Controller <--> USB <--> Goggle doesn't look all that different to me.
2020-5-20
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

SnapMonkey Posted at 5-20 16:41

Reason #1:

You're mixing apples and oranges.

There is no "streaming" going on from your phone to Goggles (unless you mean the video stream).
Goggles are running a cut down version of the Go app.

The Go app codebase is 32 bit.
Fly app codebase is 64 bit.

Mavic Air 2 is not compatible with the Go app's API.

Yes, it's entirely possible DJI could write a completely new 32-bit client app (not based off of Go codebase nor Fly codebase) for the Goggles to support Mavic Air 2. Do they have an incentive to do that? No they don't. They'd rather sell you new Goggles when the time comes.

Same goes for CrystalSky.
2020-5-20
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

SnapMonkey Posted at 5-20 16:41

Reason #1:

Very well said.
2020-5-20
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

0rcinus Posted at 5-20 17:27
You're mixing apples and oranges.

There is no "streaming" going on from your phone to Goggles (unless you mean the video stream).

Please let me clear a few things, sorry for confusions if there is any.

#1, Streaming
Here steaming means the setup using iPhone (wireless connected to RC) + Lightening/HDMI dongle + Goggle HDMI. This setup only exports video streaming, no drone control whatsoever. The set up is showed at #36 in this thread.
In this setup there has nothing to do with Goggle's cut down version of Go app. And 32-bit or 64-bit is irrelevant here.

# 2, Support
Business wise, of course DJI as a hardware company and like any hardware companies, their performance is measured based on units sold. On paper it's their decision to choose or not to provide support for not-too-old devices at their cost. The story would be different if it's tied to brand image/competition/sales/revenue.

From consumers' perspective, there is "assumed" product life cycle support, no matter the product is from a lower price bracket such as 2016 iPhone 7, or a higher price bracket such as 2016 Tesla Model S, customers all get OTA within HW limitations till today. DJI has made it to be #1 in consumer drone market, and in my opinion, keeping a brand image means sometimes they need to go beyond and care more for customers at a cost. And to be honest, I don't think the engineering cost is all that much on this Goggle matter. On the other hand, the gain is immediate. DJI gets instant win on many buyers for MA2 and Goggle, even both. (Or at least I can stop disappointing my friends who experienced the awesome Goggle and ready to buy MA2 with this sad news)

Next natural question would be, as a corporate it's all about decision makers, budget/project management/priority..that's another story, but hopefully Mindy and who has channels can help get us there.
2020-5-20
Use props
fansac98afa0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 110833 ft

Portugal

I am really sad.

I was about to buy the MA2 with the RE Goggles, but after learning that they are not compatible, and knowing DJI support on this matter for years now, sadly DJI most probably  will make new Goggles when the time comes, or make a new drone, like the MA3 with full compatibility.

For those of you hanging to the MA2 on hope for their support, better start reconsidering soon, before a refund/return  window are no longer an option for you.
2020-5-21
Use props
djiuser_wSd3HzrSbw04
lvl.1

United States

DJI, the main reason I bought the MA2, my first drone, was for FPV.  I was very disappointed to discover the goggles weren't supported.  Please add my name to the list requesting a solution.

Thanks.
2020-5-22
Use props
fans4fa03218
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1151555 ft
  • >>>
United States

I currently own a P3A, Spark, Air, Mavic Pro, Mavic Mini and now the Mavic Air 2. I can understand if the Mini does not get supported considering it is an entry level product but the Air 2 surpasses the Air and Mavic Pro on specifications so it seems natural to add goggle compatibility. I can say that the Air 2 is a marvelous product and I can see it replacing my Mavic Pro but the lack of Goggle support is a real letdown and is the only thing keeping me from moving to the Air 2 as my primary drone. DJI is being very hush hush on this subject but it would certainly be nice to hear that they are considering or working on a solution and I wish they would have been more forward on product launch that the goggles were not supported because I foolishly made the assumption when the Air 2 was moved to the Occusync system that it would automatically support the Goggles as well.  In the end I don't regret buying the Air 2 and I am holding out hope that Goggle support comes via Occusync, tethered or better yet DJI Go app support in a future update.
2020-5-22
Use props
robcalvi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1052904 ft
  • >>>
Italy

With the new firmware update released on April 26, DJI has added support for Phantom 4 Pro V2 to the Smart Controller. It is therefore now possible to pilot both a Mavic 2 drone and a P4 PRO V2 via the same remote control. The news is not over, as stated by the DJI, with the next update, support for the new Mavic Air 2, which also works in Ocusync 2, should be added.

With the new firmware signed v01.00.0700 you can select Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 in the drone management menu, as well as the possibility of connecting the DJI FPV system glasses via USB to view the video of the return from the drone racing drone and possibly restart it via HDMI output.

The main feature of DJI Smart Controller is the 5.5 '' display with 1080p resolution and a maximum brightness of 1000 nit which allows visibility even in direct sunlight. With the future addition of Mavic Air 2, and therefore of the DJI Fly app, it will become the most versatile radio control of the DJI.
2020-5-23
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

robcalvi Posted at 5-23 08:12
With the new firmware update released on April 26, DJI has added support for Phantom 4 Pro V2 to the Smart Controller. It is therefore now possible to pilot both a Mavic 2 drone and a P4 PRO V2 via the same remote control. The news is not over, as stated by the DJI, with the next update, support for the new Mavic Air 2, which also works in Ocusync 2, should be added.

With the new firmware signed v01.00.0700 you can select Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 in the drone management menu, as well as the possibility of connecting the DJI FPV system glasses via USB to view the video of the return from the drone racing drone and possibly restart it via HDMI output.

Thanks for this! Could you post the exact text of the firmware update here so we can read where it says that Mavic Air 2 is expected to be supported in a future update?
2020-5-24
Use props
djiuser_yvqvdSDX06hz
New

United States

MacFan22 Posted at 5-1 08:56
I'm in the same boat. Holding off buying the new Mavic Air 2 until I know there will be compatibility with the goggles!

I too was planning on  buying an air 2. But I wanted the drone more for FPV flight than for taking pictures. And without goggle compatibility I’ll just wait. I have all of it in the checkout basket waiting for it to have functionality.
2020-5-24
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

robcalvi Posted at 5-23 08:12
With the new firmware update released on April 26, DJI has added support for Phantom 4 Pro V2 to the Smart Controller. It is therefore now possible to pilot both a Mavic 2 drone and a P4 PRO V2 via the same remote control. The news is not over, as stated by the DJI, with the next update, support for the new Mavic Air 2, which also works in Ocusync 2, should be added.

Thanks for the info!

Found the v01.00.0700 (04/2020) release here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/smart+controller/20200426/DJI_Smart_Controller_Release_Notes_EN_20200423.pdf

For somehow the versioning looks very similar to DJI Googles v1.0.7.0, (lastest, 2018) https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI+Goggles/20180929/DJI_Goggles_RE_Release_Notes_EN.pdf

For some of us who use Goggles but not smart controller, problem remains.
2020-5-24
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

SnapMonkey Posted at 5-24 12:22
Thanks for the info!

Found the v01.00.0700 (04/2020) release here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/smart+controller/20200426/DJI_Smart_Controller_Release_Notes_EN_20200423.pdf

"The news is not over, as stated by the DJI, with the next update, support for the new Mavic Air 2, which also works in Ocusync 2, should be added."

Hm, couldn't find any explicit mention of the Mavic Air 2 in the release notes, but perhaps he was saying that they're implicitly mentioning the Mavic Air 2?
2020-5-24
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

monstermac77 Posted at 5-24 16:41
"The news is not over, as stated by the DJI, with the next update, support for the new Mavic Air 2, which also works in Ocusync 2, should be added."

Hm, couldn't find any explicit mention of the Mavic Air 2 in the release notes, but perhaps he was saying that they're implicitly mentioning the Mavic Air 2?

Neither here -- those sources didn't even implicitly mention of MA2 support.

If DJI were to support MA2, they would explicitly mention through PR, instead of having us digging hard to find it.
2020-5-25
Use props
iadesdragon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17920 ft
Germany

Given that you actually can´t buy Goggles or Goggels RE i would either think DJI lost interest in the Product line after introducing the DKI FPV or ( what i really really hope ) they will release the DJI Googles 2 soon with support for the Mini and Air 2 (sure buy!!!)
2020-5-26
Use props
noxid8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1998 ft
United States

I'm glad I came across this thread. I had the DJI Mavic Air 2 in my cart with the goggles. I didn't even think they wouldn't be compatible, crazy! Well DJI, I removed the goggles, sale lost.
2020-5-27
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

noxid8 Posted at 5-27 09:03
I'm glad I came across this thread. I had the DJI Mavic Air 2 in my cart with the goggles. I didn't even think they wouldn't be compatible, crazy! Well DJI, I removed the goggles, sale lost.

did you remove the smart controller from your cart, too?  it's also incompatible.
2020-5-27
Use props
fansc4bad380
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Logically as mavic air 2 uses ocusync like the mavic pro and zoom then a firmware update should be likely

As mavic mini or air 1 do joy I would not hold my breath
Think about it the smart controller has a planned update to support the air 2 but not the mini
2020-5-28
Use props
andy.demirevcentrum.cz
New
Flight distance : 12300 ft
Czechia

Can I use the DJI Smart Controller with Mavic Air 2?           
Yes. Mavic Air 2 will be compatible with the DJI Smart Controller through a future firmware update.
2020-5-29
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

andy.demirevcentrum.cz seems to have gotten that from here: https://store.dji.com/guides/mav ... g-you-need-to-know/
2020-5-30
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

monstermac77 Posted at 5-30 00:11
andy.demirevcentrum.cz seems to have gotten that from here: https://store.dji.com/guides/mavic-air-2-faq-everything-you-need-to-know/

Nice!

If it works with smart controller, then native Goggles support should be technically possible too.
2020-5-30
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-7 01:20
Hi SnapMonkey, I will forward your need to our engineers for review.

Hi DJI Mindy,

Is there any update from DJI on Goggle support?

As Monstermac77 and Andy.demirevcentrum.cz mentioned, Smart Controller will be supported according to official DJI PR on 4/27/2020:
https://store.dji.com/guides/mav ... -you-need-to-know/.

Can you please confirm it's accurate? If so maybe we can have a time estimate on support? And if Goggles will be supported in the same way?

Thank you.

2020-5-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

SnapMonkey Posted at 5-30 22:13
Hi DJI Mindy,

Is there any update from DJI on Goggle support?

Mavic Air 2 will be compatible with the DJI Smart Controller through a firmware update, unfortunately, we do not have the estimated time, please stay tuned to the latest news on DJI website.
Mavic Air 2 doesn't support Goggles, if there any update in the future, we will also make it clear on our website.
2020-5-31
Use props
djiuser_LNGG0kwLtzxU
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18077 ft
Canada

Hello all.

I am a first time drone user.    Looking forward to chats with  y'all.

I unpacked my very first drone ever and flew it yesterday.     mavic air 2.

And yes, I ran into this goggle issue.   I had researched goggle compatibility issue and saw the concerns, but went to the dji website, which said goggles re are compatible with Mavic and though "great, they've fixed it, as expected."   So I bought the RE.   

But of course no.    And as at May 31 the website mistake has still not been fixed.  Ahem.

Thank god it was out of stock so I bought it via amazon, so no return worries.

But surprisingly, I don't feel bugged about it.  The goggles are back in the box and going out for refund.

And I"m keeping the ma2.    I mean holy cow, yesterday was amazeballs.

I think what's happened is that the ma2 has advanced so much it has leap frogged over the dji goggles.   I'm not a tech guy, and I can't talk about 64 bit versus whatever, but in essence I think that's what's happened.

That's why I sent my goggles back rather than wait for a firmware update.   I don't think I want generation one goggles when I have a generation two drone.

I think it's likely that the future solution will be an entirely new updated set of goggles, dji goggles 2.   God knows what features they will have.

Anyway, in the meantime I'll spend the next several months training and learning without goggles, which I understand is the better way to learn anyway.

2020-5-31
Use props
djiuser_LNGG0kwLtzxU
lvl.1
Canada

And right now, what I think would be cool, would be a version of those bad ass fpv goggles, to work with my ma2.   who knows, maybe that's what they're working on.

I'm not so much into creating and recording cinematography, I just want to explore the mountains and valleys nearby, with some really long ranges.
2020-5-31
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-31 03:56
Mavic Air 2 will be compatible with the DJI Smart Controller through a firmware update, unfortunately, we do not have the estimated time, please stay tuned to the latest news on DJI website.
Mavic Air 2 doesn't support Goggles, if there any update in the future, we will also make it clear on our website.

Thank you for confirming this.

Looks like MA2 FPV experience is limited to the expensive detour (with smart controller) and a bit handicapped (only has HDMI export, no head/gimbal tracking), at least for now.
2020-5-31
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_LNGG0kwLtzxU Posted at 5-31 09:58
Hello all.

I am a first time drone user.    Looking forward to chats with  y'all.

Current DJI Goggles are 1080p, and latency less than 190 ms. Both resolution and latency should be good enough for most users who is not doing drone racing.

DJI Googles RE and DJI FPV Goggles have even lower latency, but resolution wise the same. (They also has analog compatibility but that's irrelevant for this discussion)

As a matter of next gen DJI Google, if there is one coming out, I don't know how much that lower latency or higher resolution (2.7K or 4K streaming) will improve user experience and make it a much better product, especially considering battery life (for drone and Goggles), weight (current one is already heavy enough), etc. Hope they make magic.

2020-5-31
Use props
ghostdancer1979yahoo.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1204255 ft
  • >>>
United States

FPV support is so important... how could this be overlooked? Kinda bummed about my purchase now.
2020-6-2
Use props
djiuser_LNGG0kwLtzxU
lvl.1
Canada

ghostdancer1979yahoo.com Posted at 6-2 05:51
FPV support is so important... how could this be overlooked? Kinda bummed about my purchase now.

My guess is that they didn't overlook it.

The engineers are working on, or have already completed, gen 2 goggles, with the long range of ocusync 2.  If they can put long range ocusync in a drone, they can certainly put it in goggles.

But the business managers won't release those sweet gen 2 goggles right now, as that would mean that their current warehouse of gen 1 goggles will have to go the landfill.

So they'll wait until most of the gen 1 stock is sold, and then release gen 2 goggles.

What the company is saying, is "hey, anybody who wants to return their gen 1 goggles and get a refund, we're refunding them.    So no harm done.   It's all ok"

But they know that half the customers won't return them.   And the warehouse gen 1 stock will slowly be sold.

Well, it's sort of ok.   It's business.

So in 2021 when the warehouse old stock is gone, we'll get those sweet gen 2 goggles.

And some handy customer will take it apart and see the internal chip has a make date of March 2020 and go what the hell?
2020-6-2
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_LNGG0kwLtzxU Posted at 6-2 07:56

The engineers are working on, or have already completed, gen 2 goggles, with the long range of ocusync 2.  If they can put long range ocusync in a drone, they can certainly put it in goggles.

sorry but that's not how it works.  
2020-6-2
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_LNGG0kwLtzxU Posted at 6-2 07:56

The engineers are working on, or have already completed, gen 2 goggles, with the long range of ocusync 2.  If they can put long range ocusync in a drone, they can certainly put it in goggles.

I think this is certainly a possibility. That's why I've been watching the stock for the existing goggles. Refurbished for both the Goggles and the Goggles RE are out of stock, and the Goggles RE is out of stock. Only the regular Goggles still has stock.
2020-6-2
Use props
Skraeling
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121407 ft
United States

also... its been listed in the faq since before the drone was even availible to buy that they dont work with the air 2.  It was like the first thing I checked when I was curious.

granted I hope support is added in the future of course or a new gen2  goggle makes an appearance.
2020-6-2
Use props
djiuser_jj9tQC6Q6gou
New

United States

Vlas Posted at 4-30 00:29
A shame this isn't working.

I just spoke to DJI support and they said they are working on a firmware update to make the mavic air 2 compatible with the DJI goggles
2020-6-3
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_jj9tQC6Q6gou Posted at 6-3 10:35
I just spoke to DJI support and they said they are working on a firmware update to make the mavic air 2 compatible with the DJI goggles

That's great to hear. Better late than never I suppose.
2020-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules