Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air 2 with DJI Goggles
74591 289 2020-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Strayngs Posted at 11-25 09:53
Ok .... sorry late to the party. I just ordered my MA2 and Smart Controller which have not arrived yet. I just reached out to DJI to see if it will work as I was having a hard time finding a definite answer to this question.

It works I use it. Connect via the HDMI port on the SmartController you get the same view as the video screen. .

It does not support head tracking. The RE Goggles and an Occusync 2 Flight pack support full head tracking.

All the drones from DJI only support the Camera Gimbal as a secondary controller.
2020-12-8
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

bjr981s Posted at 12-8 03:16
Mavic Air 2 with SmartController supports both Black and White goggles sets via HDMI port..

The issue is lack of head tracking support.
Merely viewing on a head mount display does not even require DJI goggles nor a smart controller.
2020-12-8
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 119967 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

I really don't understand and don't accept "Not to support DJI Goggles RE". There is no logical reason for that. Mavic Air 2 like an updated version of Mavic 2. Nothing less but there is more. Mavic 2 well supported by Goggles RE, so Mavic Air 2 should be also. Please DJI, tell us you will add support for Mavic Air 2 in future release to Goggles RE. This has to be done for customers who always support you. I use Apple because they keep their devices up to date and supported for years. I believe that, DJI is a reliable company like Apple and i expect that DJI will spend some money for software engineering of their well made product Goggles RE. I hope we're in the same page...
2020-12-9
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I think the DJI goggles are dead anyway. There haven't been any firmware updates to the RE version in almost 3 years, and who knows how long on the white goggles. So clearly DJI isn't working on them anymore and they're already orphans. I have both, though the batteries are dead in both, so I might just throw them out rather than hassle with trying to get new batteries put in them.
Perhaps a goggles 2.0 are somewhere in the future and maybe those will work the Mavic Air 2 and future aircraft....
2020-12-9
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Turkey

They are still selling it, so they need to support their product. DJI Googles is a dedicated product to use with DJI drones. So if the drone capable then it has to work with.
2020-12-10
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

KnNLmS Posted at 12-9 04:52
I really don't understand and don't accept "Not to support DJI Goggles RE". There is no logical reason for that. Mavic Air 2 like an updated version of Mavic 2. Nothing less but there is more. Mavic 2 well supported by Goggles RE, so Mavic Air 2 should be also. Please DJI, tell us you will add support for Mavic Air 2 in future release to Goggles RE. This has to be done for customers who always support you. I use Apple because they keep their devices up to date and supported for years. I believe that, DJI is a reliable company like Apple and i expect that DJI will spend some money for software engineering of their well made product Goggles RE. I hope we're in the same page...

The reason you don't understand, is I think, you don't understand how Occusync works.

Occusync on the supported Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom has 2 Occusync channels for control and video. You have to connect the Goggles as the master control and bind to the drone. Then bind your controller. So 2 bind control and video channels. (You can also bind a third device (controller) for control but not video)

This means that the Occusync to support goggles and smart device on separate control channels is twice the size power and heat as the Occusync single controller in the Air 2 and Mini 2.

This is how DJI got Occusync down in size and power to work on smaller drones. maybe some time in the future they will reduce the size of the dual Occusync flight units.

As I have said many times the Goggles work via HDMI to the Air 2 from the SmartController. And Mini 2 when made compatible with the SmartController.

All you loose is head tracking and lets face it, the DJI drones are not racing FPV drones.

There are better solutions for that. All bespoke.

Cheers

2020-12-10
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Turkey

bjr981s Posted at 12-10 00:31
The reason you don't understand, is I think, you don't understand how Occusync works.

Occusync on the supported Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom has 2 Occusync channels for control and video. You have to connect the Goggles as the master control and bind to the drone. Then bind your controller. So 2 bind control and video channels. (You can also bind a third device (controller) for control but not video)

Thanks for technical explanation, and i hope same explanation can be done by DJI, so everybody can undertand the issue(if it is true).

Smart controller is a useless solution without headtracking. I can connect any device even a cardboard for free .

If DJI releases a new smart controller which the Goggles RE connects to the controller, this would be a solution but i don't know if they can solve the latency.  I may consider to buy that kind of solution. Also solution would be like; Goggles bind to drone and controller connects to the Goggles(would be via cable like P4 if Ocu2.0 not capable). This would solve latency at all.

Sure i know they are not racing drones, but the goggles not only for racing but also for fun. I buy drones for fun at all.

2020-12-10
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-1 03:29
Hi monstermac77, Mavic Air 2 doesn't support DJI Goggles, sorry for the frustration, your need will be transferred to our engineers for attention, please stay tuned to the future update on DJI Website.

Get the engineers on to the forums to start talking to the clients and delivering a service and feed back to them. No help having them hide away behind administrators that know nothing and can assist with nothing.

What's the bet the reply will be "Will send this on to our engineers"
2020-12-10
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Turkey

Droneflier Posted at 12-10 01:23
Get the engineers on to the forums to start talking to the clients and delivering a service and feed back to them. No help having them hide away behind administrators that know nothing and can assist with nothing.

What's the bet the reply will be "Will send this on to our engineers"

I hope we can hear some response from engineers by DJI Administrators at all. If technically not possible or they will implement in the future, or they will not do that sure(unpleasant).
2020-12-10
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

bjr981s Posted at 12-10 00:31

Thanks for the detailed technical info.

2020-12-10
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Even Mavic Mini 1 has head tracking implemented in Litchi, while DJI goggles do not support MM1.
Now that SDK is released for MA2, I think it is highly probable that Litchi will support MA2 along with head tracking.
2020-12-10
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Turkey

DIY_Quad Posted at 12-10 23:36
Even Mavic Mini 1 has head tracking implemented in Litchi, while DJI goggles do not support MM1.
Now that SDK is released for MA2, I think it is highly probable that Litchi will support MA2 along with head tracking.

These are far away solutions each other. DJI Goggles normally a high tech product if it has good fw support. Low latency, dedicated control functions, wireless connection, high resolution.
2020-12-11
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

KnNLmS Posted at 12-11 00:42
These are far away solutions each other. DJI Goggles normally a high tech product if it has good fw support. Low latency, dedicated control functions, wireless connection, high resolution.

Latency on 3rd party app isn't going to be a problem because a 3rd party FPV uses phone screen as a head mount display.
If 3rd party screen had too much delay, their apps couldn't compete with DJI app at all, but we all know that's not the case.
No 3rd party app users complain about extra latency on their screen compared to DJI app.

But it does appear DJI limits certain gimbal movements in their SDK and so 3rd party can't access the full hardware potential of a gimbal.
For example, in Litchi, head tracking is limited to tilt only and no pan (with Mavic 2 for example).
What's interesting though, Maven in iOS is capable of doing both tilt and pan with Mavic 2.

I think once Maven adds support for Mavic Air 2, there is a good chance both tilt and pan will be available just as in Mavic 2.
Because MA2 and M2 both support manual tilt and pan in their DJI apps.
That's assuming (and hoping) SDK support for MA2 is implemented the same way as M2.

It's also possible Maven found some workaround to add pan support and DJI blocked it for MA2.
We will see.
2020-12-11
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Turkey

DIY_Quad Posted at 12-11 02:16
Latency on 3rd party app isn't going to be a problem because a 3rd party FPV uses phone screen as a head mount display.
If 3rd party screen had too much delay, their apps couldn't compete with DJI app at all, but we all know that's not the case.
No 3rd party app users complain about extra latency on their screen compared to DJI app.

What are we talking about in here? Litchi; a third party application? We need support to our Goggles RE which is still good product in the market. Where is DJI administrators? I need a response. If there will not be support for Goggles RE then i'll sell it and never buy a dedicated FPV in the future at all.
2020-12-11
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

KnNLmS Posted at 12-11 13:07
What are we talking about in here? Litchi; a third party application? We need support to our Goggles RE which is still good product in the market. Where is DJI administrators? I need a response. If there will not be support for Goggles RE then i'll sell it and never buy a dedicated FPV in the future at all.

You will have to sell your stuff and never buy dedicated FPV at all then.
Cuz DJI confirmed in an email that they will NOT implement support for DJI goggles with MA2.
Not because their firmware team is not willing to, but because according DJI, MA2 lacks hardware required to implement head tracking with their goggles.
You are wasting time if you are waiting for DJI to implement head tracking for MA2.
DJI will not publically announce their lack of plans to support MA2 here.
But you will get a response if you send them an email.
The only hope is for a 3rd party to implement it wihtout the DJI goggles.

2020-12-11
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Michele Vagnetti, the developer of Maven in iOS just told me that he successfully tested tilt AND pan of the gimbal on MA2.
Tilt and pan head tracking is coming to Maven.

Litchi on the other hand said, they weren't successful so far, but it is in their roadmap to introduce tilt head tracking to MA2 and then followed by pan head tracking sometime in the future.
2020-12-12
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

The Maven App in iOS started beta testing of their new version with support for MA2.
This includes pan and tilt head tracking by the gimbal.
Michele Vagnetti, the developer of the Maven App got it this far in just 5 days of release of Mobile SDK.
Incredible!
2020-12-15
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Turkey

DIY_Quad Posted at 12-15 10:41
The Maven App in iOS started beta testing of their new version with support for MA2.
This includes pan and tilt head tracking by the gimbal.
Michele Vagnetti, the developer of the Maven App got it this far in just 5 days of release of Mobile SDK.

Can we be beta tester?
2020-12-15
Use props
djiuser_T1wT31soGGqO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 120479 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-7 01:24
Unfortunately, the RC of Mavic Air 2 doesn't support HDMI output, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Hello,

so I have been flying my Air 2 for 2 months now and I just bought the googles assuming it will be supported, (I don't read the fine print)
Now I'm here, but I don't want to return my goggles, I want to know if you guys are working on this or not? as I want to use the goggles with my drone, and if that's not gonna happen in the near future I just have to adjust my plans.

thanks
2020-12-30
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_T1wT31soGGqO Posted at 12-30 13:46
Hello,

so I have been flying my Air 2 for 2 months now and I just bought the googles assuming it will be supported, (I don't read the fine print)

i really really recommend you work on adjusting your plans
2020-12-30
Use props
dirar13
lvl.1
Flight distance : 120479 ft
Australia

The Saint Posted at 12-30 14:05
i really really recommend you work on adjusting your plans

why do you say that? do you have any information you like to share?
2020-12-30
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Turkey

Smart Controller being updated for new drones of DJI. GogglesRE should also receive the updates for supporting new drones of DJI. We all need a clear answer for future support if it will be supported on the road.
2020-12-30
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dirar13@yahoo.com Posted at 12-30 14:32
why do you say that? do you have any information you like to share?

no, it's just a suggestion; that's all.  actually i thought i was in the dji mavic 2 forum where the possibility is more like 1% but the ma2, it's possible i guess.  
2020-12-30
Use props
Skraeling
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121407 ft
United States

Still laughing the first Air supports these and the 2 doesnt.
2021-1-6
Use props
Grumpy Monk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 245663 ft
United Kingdom

As many have mentioned that it is possible to fly FPV with the Smart Controller via HDMI (Without head tracking) Can anyone recommend a set of goggles that would be suitable for this?
2021-1-13
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

MA2 can be flown with DJI goggles or any FPV goggles with a HDMI input for that matter.
I have a working solution that does not involve any of the following; wireless HDMI dongle (poor latency and WiFi that can interfere with Ocusync range), cheap tablet with HDMI output (extremely poor latency), smart controller ($$$).
Will post some pics when I'm done making it a bit more portable.

2021-1-15
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I still don't understand the issues you guys have with no head tracking.

You can still control the gimbal with the Smart-controller wheels.

If you were flying a fixed wing I could understand the requirement for head tracking. But a camera drone????

Head tracking panning with tilt is only really a requirement for fixed wing.

Don't see the issue.
2021-1-15
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

DIY_Quad Posted at 1-15 04:32
MA2 can be flown with DJI goggles or any FPV goggles with a HDMI input for that matter.
I have a working solution that does not involve any of the following; wireless HDMI dongle (poor latency and WiFi that can interfere with Ocusync range), cheap tablet with HDMI output (extremely poor latency), smart controller ($$$).
Will post some pics when I'm done making it a bit more portable.

Done putting it all together.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=233756
2021-1-16
Use props
fans4274a7d8
New
Flight distance : 171 ft
United States

I have a Magic Air 2 and was hoping to get some Goggles as i would like to use head tracking.

Is the only drone that supports the goggles the Magic Pro?  Or does the Magic 2 Pro also support them?  

I haven’t been able to find a clear answer on this.
2021-1-16
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans4274a7d8 Posted at 1-16 16:49
I have a Magic Air 2 and was hoping to get some Goggles as i would like to use head tracking.

Is the only drone that supports the goggles the Magic Pro?  Or does the Magic 2 Pro also support them?  

both the mavic 2 pro and the mavic 2 zoom work with the dji googles.  no magic required!
2021-1-16
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Grumpy Monk Posted at 1-13 12:19
As many have mentioned that it is possible to fly FPV with the Smart Controller via HDMI (Without head tracking) Can anyone recommend a set of goggles that would be suitable for this?

I would say the DJI Goggles have the best resolution and quality.
I picked up a pair from eBay and I'm loving it.

There are a few solutions out there that let's you use MA2 with any HDMI goggles with a HDMI input.
And this is my solution;
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=233756
2021-1-21
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

fans4274a7d8 Posted at 1-16 16:49

Is the only drone that supports the goggles the Magic Pro?  Or does the Magic 2 Pro also support them?  

The only way you can do head tracking with MA2 is to use the Maven App.
This app is only available in iOS and so you would need an apple device to use it.
There is an app called Litchi in android that offers something similar but it's not as good as the Maven app because in Litchi, the gimbal head track movement is only limited to up and down, whereas the Maven app allows both tilt and pan head track movements.
I am an android person, but just to try out the head tracking feature of the Maven app, I bought an iPhone XS Max and a pair of VR goggles.
It works well.
However, the VR goggles divides the smartphone screen into two and each half is not even fully utilized inside VR goggles, making it rather low-resolution.
Head tracking was nice, but viewing experience was not all that great because of the resolution issue.
Now I gave up on head tracking and went for the best viewing experience possible by getting a pair of DJI goggles.
No head tracking with MA2, but its 1080p per eye setup makes it 100x better than anything I have tried.
2021-1-21
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

With the new DJI FPV that has been released I do not see the goggles ever working with the MA2 other than a work around and I’m not buying the SC just do get them to work.
It would have been a perfect option for me but it worked per DJI’s plan to never support goggles due to the FPV release.
DJI is in this for money, not a bad thing, so wish away but it won’t happen.
2021-3-7
Use props
crosswired
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264380 ft
Ireland

DIY_Quad Posted at 1-21 12:27
The only way you can do head tracking with MA2 is to use the Maven App.
This app is only available in iOS and so you would need an apple device to use it.
There is an app called Litchi in android that offers something similar but it's not as good as the Maven app because in Litchi, the gimbal head track movement is only limited to up and down, whereas the Maven app allows both tilt and pan head track movements.

Hi there,
Tempted to try Maven on iOS with DJI Goggles but cant find any info how-to-do-that . Would you be able to point me in right direction by any chance? cheers
2021-3-7
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

crosswired Posted at 3-7 23:59
Hi there,
Tempted to try Maven on iOS with DJI Goggles but cant find any info how-to-do-that . Would you be able to point me in right direction by any chance? cheers

The Maven app is not compatible with the DJI goggles.
This app only runs on iOS.
To do head tracking with the Maven app, you need to get a VR headset that takes in a smartphone (iphone in this case).

Although head tracking works with the Maven app, the resolution on an iphone is very limitting when viewed through a VR headset.
To make matter worse, head tracking is laggy (limited by SDK, not the app) making the whole exprience not all that impressive.

And so, I ended up doing this;
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D757%26typeid%3D757
No head tracking, but visual quality is unmatched.
I no longer fly with the Maven app.

2021-3-8
Use props
crosswired
lvl.4
Ireland

DIY_Quad Posted at 3-8 01:28
The Maven app is not compatible with the DJI goggles.
This app only runs on iOS.
To do head tracking with the Maven app, you need to get a VR headset that takes in a smartphone (iphone in this case).

cheers mate, can it be done on iPad by any chance? just chancing my arm
2021-3-8
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

crosswired Posted at 3-8 07:38
cheers mate, can it be done on iPad by any chance? just chancing my arm

Yes, the Maven app would run on an iPad.
But I doubt there is any VR headset out there that can fit an iPad if head tracking is what you want to do.
2021-3-8
Use props
crosswired
lvl.4
Ireland

DIY_Quad Posted at 3-8 15:20
Yes, the Maven app would run on an iPad.
But I doubt there is any VR headset out there that can fit an iPad if head tracking is what you want to do.

thx for reply,
nope, dont really need head tracking just fpv using ipad and dji googles
2021-3-9
Use props
djiuser_u6W5ynR1Q0a3
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi all

In case you want to still use the dji goggles with the mavic air 2 there is a work around using a couple of accessories I bought from Amazon. Check out my video explains how to do it below.

https://youtu.be/A18ozwmEikA
2021-3-16
Use props
Merlin1951
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276434 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2020-5-7 01:18
DJI Goggles support Mavic 2, Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 series,  Mavic Air, Spark, Inspire series, but not the Mavic Mini and Mavic Air 2, we apologize for the inconvenience caused. Your frustration will be forwarded to the development team for attention, please stay tuned to the future update on DJI website.

Yes, please do that. I own the Mavic Air 2 and I would certainly like to use the goggles with it. What I don't understand is, why hasn't the engineer department addressed this before? I would also have thought that they would have surveyed past customers to see if they were interested in having a set of goggles to use with the Mavic Air 2. Obviously we do so, pardon my brashness but, what's the holdup?
2021-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules