Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air 2 with DJI Goggles
12345678Next >
74558 289 2020-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

On release, the Mavic Air 2 does not work with DJI Goggles and there is nothing indicating that support will be added in the future.

I found this very surprising. At first, I thought it was due to DJI wanting to differentiate their product line. In a lot of ways, the Mavic Air 2 excels beyond their top of the line consumer drone, the Mavic 2 Pro (longer flight time, 4k 60fps, 48mp, 10km range, etc), yet the Air 2 is only half the price. But then I realized that the Spark supports the Goggles as well, which made this theory less plausible. I saw that the Mavic Mini doesn't support the DJI Goggles either, which supports the theory, but now I'm thinking that the issue is actually just software related, because the DJI Goggles work with every DJI drone except the Mavic Air 2 and the Mavic Mini, which are precisely the two drones that use the DJI Fly app in lieu of the DJI Go app.

My guess is that some functionality needs to be ported over to the DJI Fly app before the DJI Goggles will be supported for the Mavic Air 2 and the Mavic Mini. Anybody have more knowledge about this?

2020-4-29
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

A shame this isn't working.
2020-4-30
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 457021 ft
France

Let's hope this will change quickly. I won't buy the Mavic Air 2 before the goggles are compatible.
2020-4-30
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

SN47 Posted at 4-30 01:57
Let's hope this will change quickly. I won't buy the Mavic Air 2 before the goggles are compatible.
I’m thinking the same, but if all the signs indicate it’s just an app update that’s needed, maybe it’d be reasonable to rely on the fact that support will be added in the future? I mean either way, DJI is going to get $350 more dollars from Mini and Air 2 owners if they add support, my thinking is maybe they think/know that so few Mini and Air 2 owners even have Goggles that they don’t need to prioritize Goggles support, but once they switch over the higher end drones like the Mavic Pro product line to the new DJI Fly app, then they’ll definitely have to add Goggles support.
2020-4-30
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 457021 ft
France

Interesting feedback monstermac, I was not aware DJi was planning to switch all their Mavic models on DJI Fly. But if it happens you are right, we will obtain what we want I guess
2020-4-30
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

SN47 Posted at 4-30 11:45
Interesting feedback monstermac, I was not aware DJi was planning to switch all their Mavic models on DJI Fly. But if it happens you are right, we will obtain what we want I guess

I’m not sure they are, but I’d imagine it’s the plan since it’s significantly easier to maintain one codebase than two and a large amount of the functionality is identical.
2020-4-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi monstermac77, Mavic Air 2 doesn't support DJI Goggles, sorry for the frustration, your need will be transferred to our engineers for attention, please stay tuned to the future update on DJI Website.
2020-5-1
Use props
MacFan22
lvl.1
United States

I'm in the same boat. Holding off buying the new Mavic Air 2 until I know there will be compatibility with the goggles!
2020-5-1
Use props
tokyoandroid
lvl.1
United States

It's probably because DJI realizes their goggles have major issues.  I bought the racing edition to use with my Mavic 2 pro and performance is terrible.   Scanning the forums here it's clear there's a major design flaw with the goggles, and DJI does not appear to acknowledge
2020-5-1
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

tokyoandroid Posted at 5-1 08:59
It's probably because DJI realizes their goggles have major issues.  I bought the racing edition to use with my Mavic 2 pro and performance is terrible.   Scanning the forums here it's clear there's a major design flaw with the goggles, and DJI does not appear to acknowledge

Oh wow, had no idea. What specific issues were you seeing? Higher latency than advertised? Lower resolution? Poor reception?
2020-5-1
Use props
GoldFire
lvl.2
Flight distance : 457215 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well this is disappointing. I hadn't heard this and ordered the Mavic Air 2, largely because I was excited to have the higher quality transmission for the DJI Goggles RE with Occusync now included. These goggles weren't exactly cheap. It is really unacceptable for support to be dropped so quickly on these.
2020-5-3
Use props
fansa4948bcd
lvl.1
United States

Pretty much a deal-killer for me. I have the RE goggles and love them. Passing on the Mavic-2 until they add support for the goggles they sold as being compatible with all their drones (which they were until recently).
2020-5-3
Use props
djiuser_ktilMClA33az
lvl.2

Venezuela

I'm disapoinmet
2020-5-5
Use props
djiuser_ktilMClA33az
lvl.2

Venezuela

This disappoints me if the Mavic Air 1 is compatible with goggles because the Mavic Air 2 does not, and these people from DJI are making me think about changing companies, for example, Autel Robotiks had in my plans to buy the MAVIC AIR 2 together with the goggles. I DO NOT BUY IT
2020-5-5
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

On the same boat.

Any where we can submit a feature request, poll, vote, etc., for Goggle support on MA2/DJI Fly App?
2020-5-5
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

SnapMonkey Posted at 5-5 16:08
On the same boat.

Any where we can submit a feature request, poll, vote, etc., for Goggle support on MA2/DJI Fly App?

I'd probably message or reply to user "DJI Mindy", she usually passes this kind of stuff along somewhere. Or just ask her what you can do.
2020-5-5
Use props
Maverick104
lvl.2

United States

They always could be coming out with a new type of  fpv goggles or the might just be working on software.
2020-5-6
Use props
djiuser_XYMHx4ruNXcx
New
United States

I was ready to order Mavic Air 2 today until I saw you can not use the goggles. Will not buy until they support goggles. I may just return the goggles since it seems all there new aircraft are not supporting the goggles
2020-5-6
Use props
djiuser_XYMHx4ruNXcx
New
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-1 03:29
Hi monstermac77, Mavic Air 2 doesn't support DJI Goggles, sorry for the frustration, your need will be transferred to our engineers for attention, please stay tuned to the future update on DJI Website.

I was going to order Mavic air 2 today but I am not going to if I can't use my goggles. I am considering returning the goggles since it looks like none of the new aircraft work with them, mini and now air 2. Sorry
2020-5-6
Use props
fansa6c2796c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11414 ft
United States

This may be a dumb question but could you load up the DJI Fly app on a tablet like the Nvidia Shield and then do HDMI out to the Goggles?
2020-5-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_XYMHx4ruNXcx Posted at 5-6 07:40
I was going to order Mavic air 2 today but I am not going to if I can't use my goggles. I am considering returning the goggles since it looks like none of the new aircraft work with them, mini and now air 2. Sorry

DJI Goggles support Mavic 2, Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 series,  Mavic Air, Spark, Inspire series, but not the Mavic Mini and Mavic Air 2, we apologize for the inconvenience caused. Your frustration will be forwarded to the development team for attention, please stay tuned to the future update on DJI website.
2020-5-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SnapMonkey Posted at 5-5 16:08
On the same boat.

Any where we can submit a feature request, poll, vote, etc., for Goggle support on MA2/DJI Fly App?

Hi SnapMonkey, I will forward your need to our engineers for review.
2020-5-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansa6c2796c Posted at 5-6 09:53
This may be a dumb question but could you load up the DJI Fly app on a tablet like the Nvidia Shield and then do HDMI out to the Goggles?

Unfortunately, the RC of Mavic Air 2 doesn't support HDMI output, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2020-5-7
Use props
BMGD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 255814 ft
South Africa

Add my voice to the others, when the Mavic Air 2 supports the DJI Goggles I'll buy one. Please pass on to the engineers.
2020-5-7
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

perhaps support will come in the future thru a software upgrade similar to the smart controller.  in the meantime, if you simply want to see thru the googles, you're more than welcome to forgo any and all obstacles put up by dji and creatively use the hdmi out from your mobile device.
2020-5-7
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-7 10:30
perhaps support will come in the future thru a software upgrade similar to the smart controller.  in the meantime, if you simply want to see thru the googles, you're more than welcome to forgo any and all obstacles put up by dji and creatively use the hdmi out from your mobile device.

Good suggestion.

I gave a try to HDMI output using Apple Lightning-HDMI cable. Unfortunately it doesn't work. DJI Go 4 on iPhone only works with USB-OTG + lightning cable. It doesn't work with USB-OTG + Apple HDMI dongle + lightning cable, with or without DJI Goggle HDMI connected.

Haven't tried the same settings on DJI Fly App. But I doubt it would be any better, as the DJI Fly (for now) is a less featured client than DJI Go 4.

Looks like to me the solution has to come from DJI. Other intermediate solution (with Nvidia shield, Fire Stick, etc.), may just be too cumbersome.

2020-5-7
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

SnapMonkey Posted at 5-7 11:18
Good suggestion.

I gave a try to HDMI output using Apple Lightning-HDMI cable. Unfortunately it doesn't work. DJI Go 4 on iPhone only works with USB-OTG + lightning cable. It doesn't work with USB-OTG + Apple HDMI dongle + lightning cable, with or without DJI Goggle HDMI connected.

This issue may only apply to Apple devices. Android phone / tablet user may have different experience.
2020-5-7
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

I can confirm above mentioned  issue is only with USB-OTG + Apple HDMI dongle + lightning cable, (more a Apple device and peripheral compatibility issue).

When I connect iPhone to remote controller through Wifi, and simply use Apple Lightning HDMI dongle to export to Goggles, it works! I get both video stream on iPhone and Goggle, as shown in the image below.

HOWEVER, it's well known that (at least for Spark), iPhone--Wifi--remote control really produce unstable connections, much worse than iPhone--USB OTG--remote control. I wouldn't use this setting to fly extensively.

2020-5-7
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

^these are good suggestions.  however, there is another method that works just a well.  please check other threads in this forum for more details.  there are a couple plus a video that outlines the details pretty well.
2020-5-7
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

If MA2 can have a stable Wifi connection between iPhone and RC, this temporary solution may work for some before DJI official support comes out.

Can anyone comment on MA2 wifi connection? How does it compare to its USB-Lightning connection in terms of stability, signal interference, latency, etc.
2020-5-7
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-7 01:18
DJI Goggles support Mavic 2, Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 series,  Mavic Air, Spark, Inspire series, but not the Mavic Mini and Mavic Air 2, we apologize for the inconvenience caused. Your frustration will be forwarded to the development team for attention, please stay tuned to the future update on DJI website.
It looks like you said Mavic Air 2 is supported in this post. Can you confirm that support is being added to the Mavic Air 2? - never mind, I just read the “but not”.
2020-5-7
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-7 01:24
Unfortunately, the RC of Mavic Air 2 doesn't support HDMI output, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Can MA2 RC connect to iPhone through Wifi? If so, how stable it is compared to cable connection?
2020-5-7
Use props
GoldFire
lvl.2
Flight distance : 457215 ft
  • >>>
United States

I emailed support and they confirmed that it was because of the DJI Fly app not having support, but wouldn't confirm if or when that support would be added. Not sure why they keep making new apps for every few drones released.
2020-5-7
Use props
SnapMonkey
lvl.2
United States

GoldFire Posted at 5-7 15:39
I emailed support and they confirmed that it was because of the DJI Fly app not having support, but wouldn't confirm if or when that support would be added. Not sure why they keep making new apps for every few drones released.

This is good news. Good to know its not hardware limitation.
2020-5-7
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

GoldFire Posted at 5-7 15:39

Fantastic!
2020-5-8
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa6c2796c Posted at 5-6 09:53
This may be a dumb question but could you load up the DJI Fly app on a tablet like the Nvidia Shield and then do HDMI out to the Goggles?

Nvidia Shield is not compatible with the DJI Fly app I'm sorry to say
2020-5-9
Use props
robcamp1gmail.com
New

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-7 01:18

Thanks Mindy, like others, I am not ordering the Mavic air 2 until it supports the goggles. Please expedite the engineering request. Thank you.
2020-5-10
Use props
fansbe1990f6
New

United States

Are you kidding me . I just sold my Mavic Air and purchased mavic air 2 excited to used my DJI googles. Now I’m reading that my googles are useless. I will request for a refund . Really disappointing news DJI!!!
2020-5-10
Use props
frank.watkinsbtinternet.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 365938 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep - I'm also waiting for goggle support before buying Mavic Air 2
2020-5-11
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-7 01:24

Hi Mindy,

DJI have advised that the Air 2 will be supported by the SmartController.

At this time the Goggles will be fine through the HDMI on the SC?

Will the USB also be supported at some stage on the SC?

Cheers
2020-5-11
Use props
12345678Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules