Mavic Mini : mirror-screen FPV hack advices ?
5847 29 2020-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SN47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 457021 ft
France

Hey everyone,

I think I have the same disappointment than many of you : I own a Mavic Mini and it is impossible to use DJI Goggles to have FPV with it.
I would have said few weeks before that is because of the lack of Occusync technology, but the brand new Mavic Air 2 won't work neither with those Goggles ...
The only pain point is DJI Fly app in my opinion : DJI should really think about updating the app, at least for the Mavic Air 2 + Goggles, and why not for Mavic Mini with a wired connection maybe ?

But let's get back to my initial idea.

DJI do not offer any solution for FPV flying with the Mavic Mini so ... how could we workaround that ?
I have a very straight forward solution but I lack of knowledge in this domain, so I am asking for your help.
My idea is the following : I use my Mavic Mini controller as usual, I connect my tablet with the USB cable to have DJI Fly synced with the controller/drone.
For now, just the same routine for all of us.
BUT ... I would like to use the micro-HDMI output of my tablet to mirror its screen on any FPV goggles having a (micro) HDMI input.
In that way, those goggles would only be used as a "2nd screen", with no active technology on it, but however, it would be a great experience anyhow.

My question : do you guys have any idea of which models would exist and fit to that need ?
I think models not too expensive may exist (afterall, this is only a small screen with a headband ^^), and I would like to know if some of you have tried any models ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Have a nice flight ;)
2020-4-30
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

If you do a search, there have already been several discussions with as many suggestions.
Dji Fly has nothing to do with it, for MA2 the support will come in the future
2020-4-30
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
France

Renato61 Posted at 4-30 06:03
If you do a search, there have already been several discussions with as many suggestions.
Dji Fly has nothing to do with it, for MA2 the support will come in the future

Thanks for your reply, but I haven't found the topics you are talking about. Maybe you have example of links ?
And about MA2, if the Support come in the future, so it implies it will be through DJI Fly indeed.
2020-4-30
Use props
Bekoal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55984 ft
Belgium

SN47 Posted at 4-30 07:26
Thanks for your reply, but I haven't found the topics you are talking about. Maybe you have example of links ?
And about MA2, if the Support come in the future, so it implies it will be through DJI Fly indeed.

Déroulez la première page de ce forum et vous trouverez un post "hot" avec plus de 300 participations sur le sujet !
2020-4-30
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Hello everyone, greetings from Spain. I would recommend waiting for the launch of LITCHI for the MM. I personally am anxious for your arrival. You will have among many other new functions, the possibility of FPV flight. I have been using LITCHI for quite some time with my Phamton 3, and in addition to being more stable than the DJI application, it takes ALL THE POSSIBILITY AND POSSIBILITIES of our drones. It is just FANTASTIC.
2020-4-30
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
France

@JM.REYES : Oh gush, I didn't even know there was alternative apps existing for flying DJI drones (I am a newbie :/ ).
Thanks for the information, I will keep an eye on that. But will it help for anything about my question ?  I am just looking for a "hardware" (goggles) that could be used for mirroring my phone.

@Bekoal : merci de votre retour, mais vous auriez un lien ? Je trouve des topics sur DJI Goggles, les modèles Racing, les DJI FPV, mais tous se rapportent aux modèles de Mavic haut de gamme reliés en radio. Moi je cherche un modèle lambda filaire. Merci d'avance, je continue à chercher.
2020-4-30
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Spain

Hello again. I leave you a YouTube link, where a video is worth a thousand words. As you can see, YOU ONLY NEED SOME CHEAP GLASSES !!

2020-4-30
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
France

It seems your link was removed :/ Can you send it to me via PM please ? Thanks in advance (I hope they give few models in the video ^^)
2020-4-30
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Spain

SN47 Posted at 4-30 14:50
It seems your link was removed :/ Can you send it to me via PM please ? Thanks in advance (I hope they give few models in the video ^^)

Fixed up. Anyway it is: https://youtu.be/gJOmxyIJ2S4
2020-4-30
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
France

Thanks for the link.
This setup is an interesting solution but not exactly the one I am searching here.
These goggles need to put the phone inside it, so I won't be able to change modes, settings etc... while flying.
I am still looking for goggles with an integrated display ^^
2020-4-30
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
France

Hey !
I have found an interesting article : https://www.dronesglobe.com/guide/fpv-goggles/
It gives interesting information, even though they are not quoting many models.
So now, I know the thing I am looking for is "Standalone VR  goggles" with HDMI input
2020-4-30
Use props
Bal00
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124019 ft
France

Ximmerse Visor X rocks !
2020-5-2
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
France

Bal00 Posted at 5-2 10:54
Ximmerse Visor X rocks !

Ah thanks, a first feedback at last ^^
It is one of the ones I have identified, I will keep that in mind. Among the main cons, I think not being able to access the phone is not very handy, I would have wanted a model with its own display.
I have also realised my tablet was unable to be used with an HDMI converter since my last comment ... damn (USB-C not 3.1 ... not MHL/Alternate Display ).
But cool for these Visor X, I will check where it is possible to buy those if I don't find a better solution.
2020-5-2
Use props
Bal00
lvl.3
France

Well, you're right, a user connected a mouse in order to access the phone screen..
Before the lockdown, the few flights I've been testing it showed me that this was not too restrictive, but I've to use it more to be accurate on this point..
You'll need a 1.5m cable in order to connect it to the remote controller, if you try it
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3959342
This post made me buy it. For screening the sun, I used black tissue with velcro (looks like the early cameras) and some duct tape

Ximmerse Visor X

Ximmerse Visor X
2020-5-2
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
France

Humm ... I admit this setup is very tentative ^^ It wouldn't be a too big investment, even it is not the perfect solution, I think I am about to yield to temptation
I have spent hours this weekend reading articles about FPV, goggles, watching YouTube videos and finally I cannot find any perfect solution. I think I will only wait for DJI Fly (maybe) to become compatible with Mini, or maybe via Litchi if this is something that is added later.
2020-5-2
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
France

@Bal00 : would you have inner dimensions for the "phone location" for the Ximmerse ? Mine is quite large, I am not sure it would fit. Thanks in advance.
2020-5-3
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

I used this for Litchi on my Mavic Pro, but the DJI fly doesnt work on this tablet shown in the video

2020-5-3
Use props
Bal00
lvl.3
France

SN47 Posted at 5-3 08:21
@Bal00 : would you have inner dimensions for the "phone location" for the Ximmerse ? Mine is quite large, I am not sure it would fit. Thanks in advance.

Here are the dimensions of the glass, in millimeters: 132 x 75
The screen size on your smartphone has to fit these dimensions, otherwise it'll be cut
Then the smartphone can even be bigger, it's not a problem: there's plenty of room in length (part of the smartphone can protude) and max. 80 mm in width (this is the real limitation)
I own an Asus Zenfone 5Z and it fits easily
You'll easily be able to prevent any ray of sun coming in with 3d printed shaders (look on thingiverse) or duct tape + tissue with velcro as I did
2020-5-3
Use props
Bal00
lvl.3
France

Well, spending that amount for a "bastard" solution is not an option for me: if I spend that money, I expect quality, user friendly and easy solution and plugs.
I'm too old to wait for DJI to change their politicy (52 years old): I would like to use the device before my 60's ;-)
In addition, I don't think they'll let us have this option otherwise they would not sell upper models (or at least that's what they believe, imho), like the track me (or follow me) option..^^
2020-5-3
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
France

Thanks Bal00 !!
Thanks to you I have just avoided a disappointment : my phone won't fit in any dimension :/ I will have to find an alternative, but a huge thank for your feedback and taking the time for the measures !!!
2020-5-3
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
France

200% agree with you. Such a shame being probably the best brand for drones and not being able to make effort to have homogeneous solutions to satisfy customers using all their products ...
I am planning on buying Macvic Air 2, it is a certainty I won't give them 1$ unless they offer a solid FPV solutuon, I don't want to struggle like I do with the Mavic Mini.
2020-5-3
Use props
Bal00
lvl.3
France

I'm sorry and disappointed for you..
I hope soon Ximmerse will upgrade their visor x seen that  the smartphones are getting bigger and bigger (maybe you should check on their website from time to time)
2020-5-3
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
France

Thanks Bal00.
I had already checked Ximmerse website but it don't seems very "Occidental friendly" ( ^^ ) : only in Chinese and strange thing, they only talk about an interesting new product, Rhino X, with no release date announced ,and the Visor X seems to be totally unknown.
Maybe DJI will release one day a new model for their goggles 'ow that the Mavic Air 2 is here, let's hope.
2020-5-3
Use props
Bal00
lvl.3
Italy

Wow, I just checked that.. Rhino X will be a vr mask (I don't know if it suits for fpv) It looks like Lenovo's selling it already at 200$ !!
Too expensive, imho
What about disassembling the visor x cover (unscrewing it) and putting an elastic from the bottom part to the upper hook ?
What's the width of your smartphone ?
2020-5-4
Use props
SN47
lvl.2
United States

That is a good idea, but to be honest, I don't want to buy an item knowing in advance I will have to tinker without being sure of the result (yes I know, I am not an adventurer ^^).
Do you have a link for "Lenovo's Rhino" ? I have found 3 other models they sell but not this one. Unless this is the Mirage AR ??Anyway for now, I think I am going to give up with this idea of Mavic alternate FPV device, such a pain to find something simple and efficient.
2020-5-4
Use props
Bal00
lvl.3
Italy

SN47 Posted at 5-4 01:30
That is a good idea, but to be honest, I don't want to buy an item knowing in advance I will have to tinker without being sure of the result (yes I know, I am not an adventurer ^^).
Do you have a link for "Lenovo's Rhino" ? I have found 3 other models they sell but not this one. Unless this is the Mirage AR ??Anyway for now, I think I am going to give up with this idea of Mavic alternate FPV device, such a pain to find something simple and efficient.

Anyway the ar devices don't seem to be a solution for fpv, and they'll be expensive so better take fpv goggles (if they ever release one for mm)
2020-5-4
Use props
Firework99
New
Flight distance : 88474 ft
United Kingdom

I can use the screen mirror function on my samsung to show an FPV view on my LG TV.  So I just need FPV goggles that will accept screen mirroring signal
2020-7-15
Use props
Firework99
New
Flight distance : 88474 ft
United Kingdom

I can use the screen mirror function on my samsung S7 to show an FPV view on my LG TV.  So I just need FPV goggles that will accept screen mirroring signal
2020-7-15
Use props
djiuser_AkcIQxhfgSRY
lvl.1

United States

There is something going on at Indiegogo which seems exactly what you are looking for: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dream-glass-4k-portable-private-ar-entertainment#/. The team seems have good reputation based on their previous campaign.
2020-7-15
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Firework99 Posted at 7-15 06:41
I can use the screen mirror function on my samsung to show an FPV view on my LG TV.  So I just need FPV goggles that will accept screen mirroring signal

Flysight SPX01 FPV Goggles they have HDMI IN

Power Bank

HDMI wireless dongle
Use your iPad with MiraCast....... it will put your tablet screen ON the FPV Goggles wirelesly.

You also need power for the goggles, so you will have 2 batteries, as the Dongle takes 5vdc
and the goggles need at least a 3 cell LiPo.....

I had links.....but for some reason they linked to MY Amazon acct.   So look them up on Amazon......but search the FlySight Goggles

Randy

2020-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules