Focus not available in manual photo
2150 7 2020-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jperkmr954
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1228609 ft
United States

Anyone else notice that in photo mode and you tap the screen you can focus ( the small circle) but if you go into manual to adjust ISO and SHUTTER then you can't tap to focus?

Doesn't make sense to not be able to do so - it's already such a small focus point thats not able to be manipulated from my understanding as is......
2020-5-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Anyone else notice that in photo mode and you tap the screen you can focus
Are you sure that the lens actually focuses?
On a bare-bones, minimum weight, minimum price drone, why would they have focus?
Could it be that the camera is fixed-focus and what you thought was a focus point was really spot metering?
2020-5-1
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-1 04:08
Anyone else notice that in photo mode and you tap the screen you can focus
Are you sure that the lens actually focuses?
On a bare-bones, minimum weight, minimum price drone, why would they have focus?

I'm not sure if that is accurate - but it seems like it does....

My concern was more that I didn't have the same functionality that I see in auto mode with manual mode - with the tap and focus circular icon that appears.
2020-5-1
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

jperkmr954 Posted at 5-1 04:15
I'm not sure if that is accurate - but it seems like it does....

My concern was more that I didn't have the same functionality that I see in auto mode with manual mode - with the tap and focus circular icon that appears.

That isn't focus. You are setting the EV according to the spot where you tap. If you tap a dark spot it will raise the EV, a light spot, it will lower it. I wish the mini had manual focus, but it doesn't.
As far as why that doesn't do this in manual mode is because there is no EV in manual mode. Manual mode uses ISO and shutter duration. That is the point of manual mode. To control those two settings yourself.
2020-5-1
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

Deucalion Posted at 5-1 04:38
That isn't focus. You are setting the EV according to the spot where you tap. If you tap a dark spot it will raise the EV, a light spot, it will lower it. I wish the mini had manual focus, but it doesn't.

AHHHH Good to know! I assumed it was a focus (not that I use it often much) but now that I know that I can use it more effectively.

Is that why it doesnt work outside of auto?
2020-5-1
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

jperkmr954 Posted at 5-1 04:41
AHHHH Good to know! I assumed it was a focus (not that I use it often much) but now that I know that I can use it more effectively.

Is that why it doesnt work outside of auto?

Yeah, EV is an auto concept, it isn't really applicable to manual. Although, a "give me a good starting point" feature might be nice, and then you could adjust shutter and iso from there.
2020-5-1
Use props
Thalisbl
lvl.4
United Kingdom

So does the camera is always in auto focus mode?
2020-5-4
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

Thalisbl Posted at 5-4 08:34
So does the camera is always in auto focus mode?

I think it is a fixed focus, for 1m to infinity.
2020-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules