12Next >
6357 73 2020-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

Good morning,

About the Osmo Pocket...is five months without a firmware update normal or unusual?

There are lots of feature requests in this forum and it would be nice to see even a few of them implemented so that we know that the Osmo Pocket is stil considered current and still being developed.

I got in touch with DJI technical support several times because Osmo Pocket has an issue. When you take a vertical photo and import the DNG file on Lightroom the rendered photo is displayed with a discolored band.

After a careful analysis I got a feedback from DJI engineers. They have located the issue successfully and told me that it would be fixed with the next firmware update. I got the feedback on January 4th.

I have been waiting for 5 months now and the firmware is still not updated.

I enclose the DJI technical support response by email.

Other users have asked several times to make changes with a new firmware. I'm not impatient. It's simply too much to wait 5 months for a firmware update!!

DJI engineers'response

DJI engineers'response
2020-5-1
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

My guess will be updated firmware to coincide with the release of the Pocket 2. Its firmware might contain many of the "fixes" highlighted from current Pocket users.
2020-5-1
Use props
Pilot.Isaac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220554 ft
United States

I think they already abandoned this old boy. I guess they're preparing OP2 or something.
2020-5-1
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

Curt1591 Posted at 5-1 13:59
My guess will be updated firmware to coincide with the release of the Pocket 2. Its firmware might contain many of the "fixes" highlighted from current Pocket users.

If Osmo Pocket 2 will be released, does this mean that Osmo Pocket "1" will no longer be updated? Or will it still be possible to update its firmware?
2020-5-1
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

Pilot.Isaac Posted at 5-1 22:25
I think they already abandoned this old boy. I guess they're preparing OP2 or something.

Abandoned? Old boy!??? We're talking about a product that came out just over one year ago! I know that technology goes on at the speed of light, but it seems ridiculous to me. They should at least guarantee the release of firmware updates. I spent 400 euros to get a product that is "old" after one year!?!?

If you noticed, I attached the answer I received from DJI technical support on January 4th when they told me that the engineers have identified the problem that would be solved with the next firmware update.

What should I think? Are they making fun of me? If this is DJI's policy, no problem. Just tell me that there will be no update! Sincerity and honesty!
2020-5-1
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

for me, the OP is perfect and I do not know, what could be missing!?
SAT-TV reception?

Everything else can only be changed/improved with hardware-changes...
2020-5-2
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I have never seen another product I own that had so many updates. I think partially it was down to the release being before the product was really ready.
The Osmo Pocket has been a victim of its own success.
I don't think the developers expected the Osmo Pocket to be used in as many ways as it has been. It's not unusual for updates to slow down or stop after a year unless something drastic is found to be wrong or a new item to be able to be plugged in needs a firmware update. There have also been competitor 'clones' now so the best way for DJI to progress would be to update the product with a new released version. The timing of that release will largely depend on market forces. I don't discount the possibility of one more update to the pocket before the release of the next product but it may be an improvement reserved for the next product to partially incentivize a new purchase.
Ray.
2020-5-2
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

UweE Posted at 5-2 01:46
SAT-TV reception?

It's perfect for you. Maybe you're not interested in using Osmo Pocket at 100%. And no, I'm not interested in SAT-TV reception.

But DJI has created a product that also takes photos, not just videos. And I want to take pictures and edit them. But if I take a vertical photo and load the DNG file on Lightroom what I get is this...

So no, Osmo Pocket is not perfect! Not even close! And since it's not cheap, I don't accept that this problem is still not solved. Especially when DJI support answered me on January 4th saying they have found the problem that will be solved with the next update!!

If you don't take pictures, if you don't know the problem, don't say it's perfect!
2020-5-2
Use props
Pilot.Isaac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220554 ft
United States

Sorry if you felt bad because of my comment but that's what I think.
Your problem seems critical for OP so maybe there would be firmware update just for fixing issues.
As UweE and Ray said, I don't think there would be further updates for improving any features, but they would rather release new version of OP.
Over an year is quite long period for this field. Even smartphones comes out every year.
Simply to see Xiaomi Fimi Palm, I see many upgrades that pointed out from OP, such as FOV, wireless connection, joystick to control etc.
We have to buy additional accessories to get wider FOV, connect wireless, control the gimbal for OP, but for Fimi don't.
For DJI to keep their position as a pioneer of this kind of product, they have to move on and prove their tech.
2020-5-2
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Bons Posted at 5-2 06:02
It's perfect for you. Maybe you're not interested in using Osmo Pocket at 100%. And no, I'm not interested in SAT-TV reception.

But DJI has created a product that also takes photos, not just videos. And I want to take pictures and edit them. But if I take a vertical photo and load the DNG file on Lightroom what I get is this...

Do any JPEGs the Osmo Pocket produces exhibit the same banding or is it just the DNG files? If so, then the fault may be with the Adobe software not being able to correctly read the Osmo Pocket's files.
Although DNG is an open source code, manufacturers do their own tweaks to the files to compensate for any sensor weakness which in this case looks like a software graduated ND filter is being applied in the landscape orientation. Adobe needs that information to backwards process the information or you could try creating a graduated backing image to compensate.

If on the other hand this is being applied in camera then it would partially explain how the Osmo Pocket copes with being pointed at the sun so well. If it's hardware, like a built-in lens coating, then there is nothing that can be done with any updating of the software.

Ray.
2020-5-2
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

Pilot.Isaac Posted at 5-2 06:50
Sorry if you felt bad because of my comment but that's what I think.
Your problem seems critical for OP so maybe there would be firmware update just for fixing issues.
As UweE and Ray said, I don't think there would be further updates for improving any features, but they would rather release new version of OP.

No problem for your answer! That's what I'm trying to say... I don't want anything new about Osmo Pocket. I love using it for videos. I just would a firmware update just for fixing issues. They must solve this problem with photos. It's a software error and it needs to be fixed. They said it, not me.
2020-5-2
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Bons Posted at 5-2 07:13
No problem for your answer!  That's what I'm trying to say... I don't want anything new about Osmo Pocket. I love using it for videos. I just would a firmware update just for fixing issues. They must solve this problem with photos. It's a software error and it needs to be fixed. They said it, not me.

Okay Bons!
Sorry, you are right! I never made a vertical photo with the OP and tested it now with
my OP.
I have the same issue as you!

You are right, that must be fixed!
2020-5-3
Use props
Alextazee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2898996 ft
  • >>>
Serbia

SAT-TV reception?

Timelapse/motionlapse in 4K (not just 1080p) maybe?
2020-5-3
Use props
djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq
lvl.2
Sweden

Bons Posted at 5-2 06:02

But DJI has created a product that also takes photos, not just videos. And I want to take pictures and edit them. But if I take a vertical photo and load the DNG file on Lightroom what I get is this...

Oh man! I'm so glad you decided to share this problem with us! I was on my way to buy an Osmo Pocket, primarily to shoot a HDRi Environment Map from the window of an apartment on 20th floor, but now that I know you can't even shoot an acceptable RAW photo with such a capable hardware, I think I have to look for another option...

I was so excited about it after I saw the video footage OP can shoot, I was blown away by the quality and stability such a tiny and light device can produce, it's a shame that they abandoned OP so soon!
It's horrifying to me that these days it's seems to be so acceptable that a ground breaking device from last year is considered trash today, ready be thrown away! What are we doing to our planet!!!?
2020-5-3
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

SAT-TV reception?

What a strange response.

There are MANY things that could be improved without hardware changes and a lot have been mentioned here on the forum.

My top 4, for instance, would be:

- 4K timelapse / extreme slow frame rate
- custom story / basic motion control
- manual focus (also with thumb wheel control)
- streaming

Looking over the forum other users would have a completely different list of preferred improvements, but none of the above require hardware changes.

Quite aside from the bugs such as the one described in the frist post here, adding features through firmware updates and app updates is very good way to garner loyalty from your customers. Not only that, but it keeps a product relevant through its lifecycle rather than slowly becoming obsolete.

As a business, DJI obviously need to be able to release new products and to retire old products but, IMHO, the OP2 should introduce hardware improvements such as larger sensor, 4K slo-mo, optical zoom, that kind of thing - not just software improvements that could have been included on the existing hardware.

The OP is a great bit of kit BUT to say it is perfect and to question what could be missing... I assume you missed the <sarcasm> tags...

-N.O.T.

2020-5-4
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

As far as time lapse is concerned, I'm fine with 1080. What I would like is motion lapse with shorter intervals. However, I don't know what, if any, hardware limitations might stand in the way.  

I would like to to be able to program paths, for straight video, just like it can do with time lapse. This should be fairly simple.

Story modes? Make one's own story transitions.

"It's perfect for you. Maybe you're not interested in using Osmo Pocket at 100%."

At this point in time, anyone who considers themselves a serious videographer would have time to research all the Pocket's capabilities and shortcomings. For anyone expecting it to do anything it doesn't do, well, I don't know what to say.

No; the Pocket doesn't seem to do portrait orientations well. However, it is primarily a video device and landscape is its primary format.
2020-5-4
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

For giggles, I took my Pocket outside and fired off a few mindless shots in portrait format. I processed with Lightroom Classic 9.2.1, the latest release. I run it on an iMac.

Maybe it's my aging eyeballs, but I can't see any banding. I have read other threads where people haven't experienced the banding using software other than Lightroom.
Maybe it is a Lightroom thing. What version are you guys using? Time to update?
DJI_0481.jpg
DJI_0483.jpg
DJI_0482.jpg
2020-5-4
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 5-4 03:09
For giggles, I took my Pocket outside and fired off a few mindless shots in portrait format. I'm using Lightroom Classic 9.2.1, the latest release.

Maybe it's my aging eyeballs, but I can't see any banding. Maybe it's a Lightroom thing.

Well done.
As I said it's probably a DNG support thing. Whenever I've upgraded a camera I've found I've had to upgrade other stuff as well to get the best out of the new piece of equipment. This time around it meant a new PC to handle 4K editing and updating my editing suite.  The only still images I've taken with the Osmo Pocket have been night-time shots and for its sensor size does pretty well when tripod mounted, but anyone doing serious photography would be using something a bit more dedicated with a larger sensor. For what it costs and its primary function, for me it's good value for money. It's only in the latest large sensored cameras that stills and video are becoming more equal.
2020-5-4
Use props
djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq
lvl.2
Sweden

Curt1591 Posted at 5-4 03:09
For giggles, I took my Pocket outside and fired off a few mindless shots in portrait format. I processed with Lightroom Classic 9.2.1, the latest release. I run it on an iMac.

Maybe it's my aging eyeballs, but I can't see any banding. I have read other threads where people haven't experienced the banding using software other than Lightroom.

I appreciate that you are sharing these photos, but it actually confirms that the problem isn't related to a specific software since your photos have the same banding issue up top:

DJI_0481.jpg

DJI_0482.jpg

DJI_0483.jpg
2020-5-4
Use props
djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq
lvl.2
Sweden

Curt1591 Posted at 5-4 02:47
As far as time lapse is concerned, I'm fine with 1080. What I would like is motion lapse with shorter intervals. However, I don't know what, if any, hardware limitations might stand in the way.  

I would like to to be able to program paths, for straight video, just like it can do with time lapse. This should be fairly simple.

All I'm saying is that it's a shame that engineers at DJI managed to come up with such an outstanding product hardware-wise, but it seems to me like the firmware had serious issues since the lunch, and even though they managed to fix a lot of critical bugs since then, I don't think it's acceptable to overlook the remaining issues and to say it's as good as it gets just because it's not as bad as it used to be!

I get it, this product is geared toward consumer videographers, but I don't think limiting its potential is a great strategy to maximize profits since you're gonna devalue your brand when you lose the trust of your customers and disappoint them!
I would have liked to buy the more expensive "Osmo Pocket Plus Pro RAW Zoom" if they sold one, but they don't have a 116g Pocket sized Osmo Pro, and I can't attach a DSLR on top of a 3 meter long monopod and stick it outside of the window! When the hardware is this good why limit it's potential? I don't need a bigger sensor, the screen seems absolutely fine to me, battery life is absolutely reasonable for such a tiny package, but I don't get why it can't have a bug free firmware and SDK access?

For example, they refuse to enable any form of HDR recording or photography, even though OP desperately needs this feature because of the sensor size and limited dynamic range, and the hardware is perfectly capable since it's using the Ambarella H22 SoC, for comparison Insta360 One X which uses the same SoC got a firmware upgrade that enabled HDR video and photography couple of months after the launch, and they are still releasing updates for it even though they launch a new camera! Meanwhile, you can see posts from OP users in this forum asking for HDR photography or at least AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) from almost a year ago, but they didn't deliver a feature that should be available on any camera in 2019 and which should be really easy to implement on this camera, I mean my HTC One m7 Smartphone from 2013 can do that!

Anyways I think I'm gonna get one just to see if we can unlock it's full potential by starting an open source custom firmware project like the infamous Magic Lantern Firmware project, to preserve this lovely device.

2020-5-4
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Pocket is not the amazing Swiss Army Knife of all things imaging. It is what it is.

"Anyways I think I'm gonna get one just to see if we can unlock it's full potential by starting an open source custom firmware project like the infamous Magic Lantern Firmware project, to preserve this lovely device."

Someone finally came up with a possibility! Follow through. Good luck with this.
2020-5-4
Use props
djiuser_zu4ahlZgFAj1
lvl.1
Poland

Hello Bons.. I'am new one and the new customer of DJI Osmo Pocket. I also have a problem with some movies and photos that are distorted. This does not happen with every movie and photo. Occurs sometimes. However, this should not happen at all. I am still waiting for a response from DJI. Check it out:  youtu.be/K6Ch9cDvMUM
2020-5-5
Use props
djiuser_zu4ahlZgFAj1
lvl.1
Poland

Also here :-/  
2020-5-5
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I have the same line / problem. Now I have two different bugs known in OP. This is the other bug I know.

2020-5-5
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

djiuser_zu4ahlZgFAj1 Posted at 5-5 03:17
Hello Bons.. I'am new one and the new customer of DJI Osmo Pocket. I also have a problem with some movies and photos that are distorted. This does not happen with every movie and photo. Occurs sometimes. However, this should not happen at all. I am still waiting for a response from DJI. Check it out:  youtu.be/K6Ch9cDvMUM

Hi!! What kind of SD card are you using? Have you tried using another high performance SD card?
2020-5-5
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

I'm really glad that many users have found the same problem on vertical photos. I'm not alone! If there are many of us complaining, maybe DJI will listen to us.

Nobody wants impossible changes! But we can't accept that we can't take vertical pictures in DNG format. We really want a firmware update!! I will continue to insist!!
2020-5-5
Use props
djiuser_Ec6FKfJbcZoz
lvl.1

Russia

Why we are as customers waiting something from DJI. For DJI we are only sheep’s  who’s believed in their risky product and paid money. After buying we don’t interesting for them. Ohh dear customer you want extra soft features or bug fixes , sure we can afford you our new device Pocket 2 with Live Stream and WebCam features. It’s impossible for us give you this cool features for free. And don’t look to GoPro who gives that features from box.It is correct understanding of your position for customers who bought Osmo Pocket isn’t ??
2020-5-5
Use props
Sauliuslag
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You know whats happened in China after a New Year. Yes, lockdown. And they are released Mavic Air2. So engineers was working on that project. But now I think we have to push them to fix this bug. I never do photos on OP so never see that bug, but now I will check it as well.
2020-5-6
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Sauliuslag Posted at 5-6 00:06
You know whats happened in China after a New Year. Yes, lockdown. And they are released Mavic Air2. So engineers was working on that project. But now I think we have to push them to fix this bug. I never do photos on OP so never see that bug, but now I will check it as well.

Why bother?

For over 4 decades I have never been without a good still camera in my possession. I would never use the Pocket for photographs, other than panos. For these it does fine.
piazza.jpg
2020-5-6
Use props
djiuser_zu4ahlZgFAj1
lvl.1
Poland

Bons Posted at 5-5 11:21
Hi!! What kind of SD card are you using? Have you tried using another high performance SD card?

I have a recommended card from their website. But I got a response from their service today that the card is too slow because it doesn't process such fast writing. In that case, why is it recommended on the site? The card is SAMSUNG EVO Plus 64GB UHS-I SPEED GRADE 3 MicroSDXC
2020-5-8
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Mindy is still trying to recuperate from the last firmware update!
2020-5-8
Use props
Kajetan
lvl.2
Poland

"Anyways I think I'm gonna get one just to see if we can unlock it's full potential by starting an open source custom firmware project like the infamous Magic Lantern Firmware project, to preserve this lovely device."
Oh thank god, somebody finally came to that idea! I hope it is possible and I can't wait for any news about it!
It have been so long since the last update, and there are a lot of things that could be added and fixed (like the higher fps slow motion, that could be anabled some time ago in a specific firmware version, it was 240fps and had better quality than actual 120fp we have now...).
Especially, that DJI many times responded int the topics that something will be fixed or engineers will see if something can be added in the next firmware update, so they announced next update many times!
Let's wait for their respond in this topic (if they will even respond to this)
2020-5-9
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
  • >>>
Japan

No Original Thought Posted at 5-4 01:57
What a strange response.

There are MANY things that could be improved without hardware changes and a lot have been mentioned here on the forum.

I clearly said, "for me" it is perfect...
2020-5-10
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bons Posted at 5-1 23:48
Abandoned? Old boy!??? We're talking about a product that came out just over one year ago! I know that technology goes on at the speed of light, but it seems ridiculous to me. They should at least guarantee the release of firmware updates. I spent 400 euros to get a product that is "old" after one year!?!?

If you noticed, I attached the answer I received from DJI technical support on January 4th when they told me that the engineers have identified the problem that would be solved with the next firmware update.

That's the DJI way of doing things. Hell they abandoned the P4P V2 shortly after release.
2020-5-10
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Then there was the annual  releases of the "new" Osmo Mobile - Each time, more features, lower price!
2020-5-10
Use props
djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq
lvl.2
Sweden

So, I received my Osmo Pocket on Monday, and first thing after activating it, I shot couple of portrait RAW photos, but I can't reproduce the two-tone photo bug mentioned by @Bons in neither RawTherapee nor DarkTable, My RAW portrait photos are absolutely fine!

Could you guys test one of your DNGs with RawTherapee to see if we can get to the bottom of this?
2020-5-14
Use props
djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq
lvl.2
Sweden

Kajetan Posted at 5-9 09:48
"Anyways I think I'm gonna get one just to see if we can unlock it's full potential by starting an open source custom firmware project like the infamous Magic Lantern Firmware project, to preserve this lovely device."
Oh thank god, somebody finally came to that idea! I hope it is possible and I can't wait for any news about it!
It have been so long since the last update, and there are a lot of things that could be added and fixed (like the higher fps slow motion, that could be anabled some time ago in a specific firmware version, it was 240fps and had better quality than actual 120fp we have now...).

After taking a quick look at the firmware.bin file and a little bit of a research I can say that modifying the firmware could theoretically be possible, but I have to add in a little disclaimer! Don't get your hopes high just yet, because it would be a really time consuming and complicated project, and we don't have any of the tools or resources that we need to help us speed up the process!

Also, after using the device for a couple of days now, I realized the device has some physical limitations too, for instance I think the reason that they reduced the slow motion frame rate and disabled HDR video could be due to the thermal restrictions of the device, which means that even though the processing power might be there, the device can get too hot and unstable unless we modify the camera body somehow to allow for better heat dissipation which I assume no one would like to do that their device!

But some other things like fixing bugs, adding features like HDR photography, Exposure bracketing, Focus bracketing, enabling the device for live streaming and features like that should be within the realm of possibilities!

One thing I guess we all realized by now is that DJI Is probably moved on and abandoned Osmo Pocket and everyone who bought it by now and let's face it, it's not financially viable for them to work on a device that they already sold! They want you to buy a new one, and if they fix every problem on this camera, and add every missing option, you probably not going to buy the new model when it comes out! At least I would imagine that's what their logic is!
2020-5-14
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

"One thing I guess we all realized by now is that DJI Is probably moved on and abandoned Osmo Pocket and everyone who bought it by now and let's face it, it's not financially viable for them to work on a device that they already sold! They want you to buy a new one, and if they fix every problem on this camera, and add every missing option, you probably not going to buy the new model when it comes out! At least I would imagine that's what their logic is!"

That pretty much sums up the wonderful world of tech as a whole.
2020-5-14
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have a few comments.

1. This is not a high end camera. It has a micro sized chip for a sensor. It also has cheap plastic and glass for A lens. It also has a great gimbal, which does a great job.

Your expectations on what you are expecting performance wise is over the top.

I shoot with a SonyA7R iii, and most of my glass is between $2K and $4K. I expect and get the quality of both my stills and Videos. Oh, I also have a $700 gimbal for it.

If you need the versatility, quality and more, that’s the kind of money you have to spend. You can’t demand it from a $349 camera. Sorry to burst your bubble. As others have said the OP is what it is.
2020-5-14
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

TheCameraGuy Posted at 5-14 17:42
I have a few comments.

1. This is not a high end camera. It has a micro sized chip for a sensor. It also has cheap plastic and glass for A lens. It also has a great gimbal, which does a great job.

Well stated
2020-5-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules