Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is this a good SD card reader??
3199 9 2015-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

Would this be any good? Would it work well with the p3/RC? I like how it can support multiple SD card types...
Is it necessary to have an sd card reader in order to update your RC and p3?
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/prod ... 2c42239e2aac6fben02
2015-6-15
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

That should be fine.

Here's a less expensive option that works well for me:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=XQDUMUJOV56DNJ2C

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-15
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

PhantomHelp.com Posted at 2015-6-16 05:45
That should be fine.

Here's a less expensive option that works well for me:

Thank you.
2015-6-15
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

On the one hand, $20 sounds kind of steep. I have one I paid about $10 for at a mom&pop computer store. On the other hand, an additional $10 is not the end of the world.

The one I have looks like a thumb drive (memory stick). It only holds two sizes, the micro SD and the adapter you often see for it that's bigger.

I have another one that will hold just about any card ever made, but it's been erratic. Speaking of erratic - if you buy a card reader of *any* kind and plug it in and the computer doesn't recognize it, don't panic and don't give up. Numerous times I've had to plug mine into the computer more than once before it was properly read - it should indicate it's an "external" drive.
2015-6-15
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

In the SUPPORT section of the DJU web site, there's a document entitled "How to Update the Firmware"
To update the P3, it states "...get the firmware files, unzip 'em, load the "downloaded" files into the root directory of the SD card, put SD card back into the camera/gimbal mount, etc."

Then, when you get to the part where they tell you how to update the remote controller, they offer an option if you don't have a card reader. LOL  If you don't have a card reader, I wonder how they expected you to get past the first part?

I'm not aware of an easy way to do a firmware update without having to futz with the SD card.
2015-6-15
Use props
Total
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

I connect the usb cable from the computer to the usb on the camera , turn on the drone . A new drive will show up  . The pictures are in DMI , put the firmware for example the P3 pro P3X_FW_V01.02.0006.bin in the main directory for updates .  I don't ever take out the sd card ever now . Just remember to shut off the drone BEFORE you remove to usb cable ...

For the remote - I put P3X_FW_V01.02.0006.bin on a blank USB drive , then update the controller by turning the remote on ...  Not sure if you need to have the drone on also ...
2015-6-15
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-16 06:53

In the SUPPORT sectio ...

It's not necessary, but it's easier.

Here's how to do it if you don't have a memory card reader:
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... o-my-firmware.45160

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.

2015-6-15
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

PhantomHelp.com Posted at 2015-6-16 10:20
It's not necessary, but it's easier.

Here's how to do it if you don't have a memory card reader:

So having an SD card reader would be better...?  I'm ordering the one from Amazon, you showed me earlier. Thanks.
2015-6-15
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jack5, it's easier than using the cable. For $7, it's totally worth it

www.PhantomHelp.com
2015-6-15
Use props
iride4u
lvl.2
Flight distance : 330869 ft
United States

I found a Micro SD card reader at Office Depot today for $2.00. It is great for updating firmware.
2015-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules