CE model in FCC country, DJI please clarify
8929 21 2020-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansaeaefc2a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
Malaysia

If I purchase a unit in my CE compliant country, and use it in a FCC region what is the maximum transmission distance and power? Will it detect the location and switch like Mavic Air 1 and Mavic Pro 1/2?
2020-5-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

There is no hardware difference between CE and FCC model for Mavic Air 2. The aircraft will adjust itself automatically from the two certifications according to your location. Max Transmission Distance in an open area without interference: 10 km (FCC), 6 km (CE), 6 km (SRRC), 6 km (MIC) Transmission power.png
2020-5-2
Use props
fansaeaefc2a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
Malaysia

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-2 02:20
There is no hardware difference between CE and FCC model for Mavic Air 2. The aircraft will adjust itself automatically from the two certifications according to your location. Max Transmission Distance in an open area without interference: 10 km (FCC), 6 km (CE), 6 km (SRRC), 6 km (MIC)[view_image]

Thank you, that is good news.
2020-5-2
Use props
MisterFrag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

There is no hardware difference between CE and FCC model for Mavic Air 2. The aircraft will adjust itself automatically from the two certifications according to your location. Max Transmission Distance in an open area without interference: 10 km (FCC), 6 km (CE), 6 km (SRRC), 6 km (MIC)[view_image]

“There is no hardware difference between CE and FCC model for Mavic Air 2.“

Except that only the USA and Canada will initially get ADS-B receiver hardware. If you buy a CE model and bring it to the US, you won’t be able to use AirSense, and you won’t have warranty coverage if something breaks.
2020-5-3
Use props
Eralp SAYGIN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 668734 ft
Turkey

MisterFrag Posted at 5-3 15:24
“There is no hardware difference between CE and FCC model for Mavic Air 2.“

Except that only the USA and Canada will initially get ADS-B receiver hardware. If you buy a CE model and bring it to the US, you won’t be able to use AirSense, and you won’t have warranty coverage if something breaks.

DJI uses that technology on the drones which they have produced after 2020.
2020-5-5
Use props
DenisJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 406867 ft
Slovenia

Eralp SAYGIN Posted at 5-5 12:43
DJI uses that technology on the drones which they have produced after 2020.

Wrong. They use it from MA2, but only for north America. Rest of the world don't exist for them or its just low profiled countries.
2020-5-5
Use props
Eralp SAYGIN
lvl.3
Turkey

DenisJ Posted at 5-5 16:31
Wrong. They use it from MA2, but only for north America. Rest of the world don't exist for them or its just low profiled countries.

I didn't know that thanks for information. I thought it's only for the drones whivh are produced after 2020
2020-5-6
Use props
MisterFrag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Eralp SAYGIN Posted at 5-5 12:43
DJI uses that technology on the drones which they have produced after 2020.

More accurately, DJI drones intended for sale from 2020 on and weighing over 250 grams are designed to include ADS-B. Unfortunately due to supply chain problems there aren’t enough ADS-B receivers available and the initial batch of Mavic Air 2 drones sold outside North America won’t have the hardware.

In time that will change. It’s not that DJI doesn’t care about other markets, they just can’t get enough of the receivers. There isn’t a regulatory requirement for the North American models to have the receiver, so I don’t know why they bothered to include the hardware here. They could have initially released the MA2 worldwide without ADS-B.
2020-5-11
Use props
Shimmers81
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2856873 ft
Malaysia

in my country (CE country) there are 2 different selling price for CE/FCC MA2, FCC price is higher. I wonder if auto adjust by location how they unlock the FCC in CE country n selling higher price?
2020-5-11
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Shimmers81 Posted at 5-11 08:59
in my country (CE country) there are 2 different selling price for CE/FCC MA2, FCC price is higher. I wonder if auto adjust by location how they unlock the FCC in CE country n selling higher price?

The switch is automatic, based on GPS. Happened to me with the original Mavic Air which I had bought in a CE country and brought back home (FCC). I just had a warning, restarted and that was it.

I think back in the time you could trick the app to switch with fake a GPS app on the phone (which obviously was illegal) but as far as I know drone gps is also checked now, so I  imagine it won't be possible to cheat...

Maybe the FCC version they are selling for a higher price there is a US import with ADS-B...
2020-5-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

CemAygun Posted at 5-11 15:58
The switch is automatic, based on GPS. Happened to me with the original Mavic Air which I had bought in a CE country and brought back home (FCC). I just had a warning, restarted and that was it.

I think back in the time you could trick the app to switch with fake a GPS app on the phone (which obviously was illegal) but as far as I know drone gps is also checked now, so I  imagine it won't be possible to cheat...

MA2 switches on IP country code, so don`t think that the fake GPS trick will work....
2020-5-12
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

JJB* Posted at 5-12 00:54
MA2 switches on IP country code, so don`t think that the fake GPS trick will work....

I am pretty sure it won't be possible and I cannot say I am sorry for that... Last thing we need is another reason (or an excuse) for people to use against drone owners.
2020-5-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

CemAygun Posted at 5-12 01:14
I am pretty sure it won't be possible and I cannot say I am sorry for that... Last thing we need is another reason (or an excuse) for people to use against drone owners.

6 km for a CE is pretty good, i never fly more than 600 meters away from home anyway....
2020-5-12
Use props
mrkooks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42359 ft
Costa Rica

JJB* Posted at 5-12 00:54
MA2 switches on IP country code, so don`t think that the fake GPS trick will work....

If MA2 switches based on the IP..  using a VPN will do the trick?

Also, is there a way in the DJI Fly app to find out if the drone is on CE or FCC??  My country is supposed to be using FCC, but DJI just thinks is CE ( as they do with every other country)..  the thing is that with the MA1 you could tell this by the number of channels (11 or 13).. but with Ocusync there is not such a thing..  so how can we tell?
2020-5-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

mrkooks Posted at 5-12 10:46
If MA2 switches based on the IP..  using a VPN will do the trick?

Also, is there a way in the DJI Fly app to find out if the drone is on CE or FCC??  My country is supposed to be using FCC, but DJI just thinks is CE ( as they do with every other country)..  the thing is that with the MA1 you could tell this by the number of channels (11 or 13).. but with Ocusync there is not such a thing..  so how can we tell?

Still waiting for my MA2, so cannot answer your question abot using VPN ann the difference FCC/CE in the menu.

And for my use 6 km is far enough!

2020-5-12
Use props
mrkooks
lvl.2
Costa Rica

JJB* Posted at 5-12 10:55
Still waiting for my MA2, so cannot answer your question abot using VPN ann the difference FCC/CE in the menu.

And for my use 6 km is far enough!

I already have the MA2 .. but I can't find a way in the DJI Fly app that shows me if I'm on FCC or CE .. perhaps the only way is to fly it and actually test the range?

2020-5-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

mrkooks Posted at 5-12 11:24
I already have the MA2 .. but I can't find a way in the DJI Fly app that shows me if I'm on FCC or CE .. perhaps the only way is to fly it and actually test the range?

There must be a way to see this info in the app!  mayby other users knows more....

2020-5-12
Use props
mrkooks
lvl.2
Costa Rica

JJB* Posted at 5-12 11:29
There must be a way to see this info in the app!  mayby other users knows more....

I found something based on other Mavic models.. but i guess it works the same.. so .. when you check on the app the transmission, and you see the graph.   If the line close to the 1km is higher than -90dBm then you are on FCC.. if that line is lower... then you are on CE..  so.. based on that.. I guess i'm on FCC

Mine..
2020-5-12
Use props
Eralp SAYGIN
lvl.3
Turkey

MisterFrag Posted at 5-11 07:12
More accurately, DJI drones intended for sale from 2020 on and weighing over 250 grams are designed to include ADS-B. Unfortunately due to supply chain problems there aren’t enough ADS-B receivers available and the initial batch of Mavic Air 2 drones sold outside North America won’t have the hardware.

In time that will change. It’s not that DJI doesn’t care about other markets, they just can’t get enough of the receivers. There isn’t a regulatory requirement for the North American models to have the receiver, so I don’t know why they bothered to include the hardware here. They could have initially released the MA2 worldwide without ADS-B.

thank you for information
2020-5-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Shimmers81 Posted at 5-11 08:59

Mavic Air 2 uses 2.4 GHz by default without connecting to DJI Fly.  It will automatically identify the network IP and configure the country code after the aircraft is connected to the app. After the country code is configured, the drone can operate on the frequency band complied with the regulation.
2020-5-14
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-14 01:35
Mavic Air 2 uses 2.4 GHz by default without connecting to DJI Fly.  It will automatically identify the network IP and configure the country code after the aircraft is connected to the app. After the country code is configured, the drone can operate on the frequency band complied with the regulation.

does this mean the MA2 can't be properly used with a phone or tablet without internet connection?
2020-5-14
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

JJB* Posted at 5-12 01:37
6 km for a CE is pretty good, i never fly more than 600 meters away from home anyway....

I would say that you would get a solid 6km, as the farthest I have been able to go (MA2) without drop outs here in Canada was around 6.5 km
2020-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules