Spark Repair Beginning Soon
1148 19 2020-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
.NoBoDy.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

Hi everyone, my spark crashed a few months ago and I sent it to DJI to see if it was covered under warranty; hint: they quoted me approximately $600 for repairs. Anyway, I'm 17 and can't really afford to pay that much, I sort of kind of regret buying it at this point, but I was thinking of fixing it myself. I have some experience working with drones nad I've started watching tutorials on how to do it amidst the quarantine. I just need to replace the camera module and main frame. Are there any tips from people who have more experience? I'd really appreciate it because I have a lot to learn. Thank you!
2020-5-2
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow. A new spark costs way less,
2020-5-3
Use props
.NoBoDy.
lvl.4
Canada

Vlas Posted at 5-3 02:24
Wow. A new spark costs way less,

I live in Canada, $600 CAD. But yeah, a new one does cost way less.
2020-5-3
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

.NoBoDy. Posted at 5-3 02:26
I live in Canada, $600 CAD. But yeah, a new one does cost way less.

I've seen used Sparks. That might be an option as well. Best of luck!
2020-5-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi .NoBoDy., sorry to know the repair cost was beyond your expectation, you may post your previous case number here so that we could help check the damage assessment details. In addition, we do not recommend customers to repair the drone on your own in case more issues happen, there are also some recommended repair center who are trained by DJI and have the capability to repair DJI products. The warranty responsibility will transfer to the Recommended Service Center for any products they repair, and those products will no longer be warranted by DJI. You may ask them for assistance: https://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers
2020-5-3
Use props
.NoBoDy.
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-3 03:13
Hi .NoBoDy., sorry to know the repair cost was beyond your expectation, you may post your previous case number here so that we could help check the damage assessment details. In addition, we do not recommend customers to repair the drone on your own in case more issues happen, there are also some recommended repair center who are trained by DJI and have the capability to repair DJI products. The warranty responsibility will transfer to the Recommended Service Center for any products they repair, and those products will no longer be warranted by DJI. You may ask them for assistance: https://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers

Lol I went to a local DJI authorized repair shop, the only one in Canada might I add, and they sent it out to DJI for an assesment, even charged me $50 to pick it up.
2020-5-3
Use props
.NoBoDy.
lvl.4
Canada

Vlas Posted at 5-3 02:32
I've seen used Sparks. That might be an option as well. Best of luck!

I'm considering it, but I cant find any. Fixing it myself is my last resort, but practically my only option.
2020-5-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

.NoBoDy. Posted at 5-3 14:00
Lol I went to a local DJI authorized repair shop, the only one in Canada might I add, and they sent it out to DJI for an assesment, even charged me $50 to pick it up.

There are several repair centers in Canada, you may verify with them whether they could help to repair. repair center.png
2020-5-4
Use props
.NoBoDy.
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-4 01:51
There are several repair centers in Canada, you may verify with them whether they could help to repair.[view_image]

I went to the one in Vaughan, and the other two or on the other side of the country...
2020-5-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

.NoBoDy. Posted at 5-4 15:07
I went to the one in Vaughan, and the other two or on the other side of the country...

You could still select shipping the drone there to see how they will repair. It's just an advice.
2020-5-5
Use props
.NoBoDy.
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-5 02:30
You could still select shipping the drone there to see how they will repair. It's just an advice.

Won't the repair charges be the same? Plus, they will charge me another $50 for the inspection alone, which I was not aware of the first time.
2020-5-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

.NoBoDy. Posted at 5-5 14:11
Won't the repair charges be the same? Plus, they will charge me another $50 for the inspection alone, which I was not aware of the first time.

You could call them in advance to see whether they will charge the service fee even you refuse the repair.
2020-5-7
Use props
TheDroneFixer
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi,
I’m 14 and done a few drone repairs and it’s been brilliant fun. It’s quite daunting at first when you open up the drone but it’s great as you get to know it.

If you don’t feel like fixing it though you could sell it to me as I’m looking to get a Spark to repair.

Let me know what you think.
2020-5-7
Use props
.NoBoDy.
lvl.4
Canada

TheDroneFixer Posted at 5-7 11:16
Hi,
I’m 14 and done a few drone repairs and it’s been brilliant fun. It’s quite daunting at first when you open up the drone but it’s great as you get to know it.

Lol thank you but I don't think you'd be willing to pay much for its current condition plus, I'd have to get rid of the accessories as well. I'll  send you pics if you want though.
2020-5-7
Use props
TheDroneFixer
lvl.1

United Kingdom

.NoBoDy. Posted at 5-7 15:31
Lol thank you but I don't think you'd be willing to pay much for its current condition plus, I'd have to get rid of the accessories as well. I'll  send you pics if you want though.

Ok. I've just relised that you live in Canada so can't buy it of you!
2020-5-7
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
lvl.4

United States

you say you have experience fixing  drones , then you have nothing to lose . try it  . i would not spend $600 on a Spark that has to be fixed  and one you could buy on EBAY for half the price and most likely get  a fly more kit also .  
2020-5-8
Use props
.NoBoDy.
lvl.4
Canada

NRRTRAINS 85 Posted at 5-8 07:29
you say you have experience fixing  drones , then you have nothing to lose . try it  . i would not spend $600 on a Spark that has to be fixed  and one you could buy on EBAY for half the price and most likely get  a fly more kit also .

I agree, I opened it up today and ordered the main frame. I've soldered before but I don't have much experience, I'll try it out but if it doesn't work, I'll probably ask a friend. Any idea where I could get a new gimbal from because those are really expensive.
2020-5-8
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
lvl.4

United States

.NoBoDy. Posted at 5-8 17:01
I agree, I opened it up today and ordered the main frame. I've soldered before but I don't have much experience, I'll try it out but if it doesn't work, I'll probably ask a friend. Any idea where I could get a new gimbal from because those are really expensive.

go on line , if you can buy a new one that would be great . if not try to buy a Spark that is sold for parts you mite even get one with the main board that you need .when you take your Spark apart take pictures a lot of pictures .
2020-5-9
Use props
.NoBoDy.
lvl.4
Canada

NRRTRAINS 85 Posted at 5-9 12:43
go on line , if you can buy a new one that would be great . if not try to buy a Spark that is sold for parts you mite even get one with the main board that you need .when you take your Spark apart take pictures a lot of pictures .

I did take pictures, I don't mean the core board, I meant like the middle frame, the plastic outer shell. those are like $30 and I ordered ordered. I actually have 2 sparks, both broken. and I figured I'd fix up both. One of them is a lot more messed up but requires 2 motors, the middle frame, and a new gimbal. I'll probably give one to my younger brother but gotta fix them first.
2020-5-9
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
lvl.4

United States

.NoBoDy. Posted at 5-9 14:58
I did take pictures, I don't mean the core board, I meant like the middle frame, the plastic outer shell. those are like $30 and I ordered ordered. I actually have 2 sparks, both broken. and I figured I'd fix up both. One of them is a lot more messed up but requires 2 motors, the middle frame, and a new gimbal. I'll probably give one to my younger brother but gotta fix them first.

great . let us know how you make out .
fly safe , stay well
2020-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules